Mac OS X Lion drops Front Row, Java runtime, Rosetta

Comments

• Reply 221 of 268
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by borisoff22 View Post

...under iMac...

Yes, do put it under iMac, please. It will just be filtered out as inappropriate for the feedback subject.

Quote:

everybody on this forum should tell apple to KEEP ROSETTA IN LION!

I'll tell them to take it out.

Quote:

You do not understand the ramifications of not having Rosetta in that new operating system.

Pretty darn sure we do know the 'ramifications': people don't have to worry about their applications working with OS X because there will only be one code base. Anything downloadable from the App Store (and eventually online at all) will be guaranteed to work.

Quote:

Expense, new peripherals, new apps not written in Carbon.

People needed to stop writing in Carbon at least five years ago. For frick's sake, iTunes isn't even Cocoa yet, and that had better change soon.

Quote:

NO APPS worth replacing the better, older ones that won't run if Apple keeps up this nonsense.

There's no FUD emoticon. Imagine one here.
  • Reply 222 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Dropping Rosetta is premature. Logic 8 for example needs Rosetta for the installer, even though it's a Universal Binary app. Quicken 2007 still hasn't been upgraded and my scanner software needs Rosetta.

Logic Pro 8 came out in 2007. That’s 4 years ago this Summer and well after the PPC-Intel transition was underway. Apple has since released Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro 9.1 which intel-only and 64-bit.

I can understand the desire for not wanting to upgrade the tools that are working for you, but you can’t pick and choose here. You can’t expect an OS released in 2011 to support some rogue users who make up a very small percent of their user-base and who obviously aren’t in paying for timely HW upgrades. It’s been half a decade since the transition started and you had plenty of warning with Snow Leopard being Intel-only.

PS: Here is a guide on how to bypass Logic Studio requirements test during installation.
    1. On the logic installation image navigate to Install Logic Studio package, right-click and choose Show Original

2. A new Finder window should open with LogicStudio.mpkg hi-lighted. Right-click and choose Show Package Contents

3. Inside LogicStudio.mpkg, navigate to Contents/Resources/Requirements Checker.app, right-click it and choose Show Package Contents

4. Inside Requirements Checker.app, navigate to Contents/Resources and open file minsys.plist for editing

5. Replace all "<key>block</key>" with "<key>warn</key>" and save file.

Now you can install Logic Studio without having to meet the minimum system requirements. The installer will still warn you, but you will be able to proceed.
  • Reply 223 of 268
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Dropping Rosetta is premature. Logic 8 for example needs Rosetta for the installer, even though it's a Universal Binary app. Quicken 2007 still hasn't been upgraded and my scanner software needs Rosetta.

It is now May 15, 2011. The previews for Developers still insists on dropping Rosetta. There are plenty of apps that need this and it makes me mad, frankly. Quicken 2007 is way better than Quicken Essentials 2011. Before, Intuit said, "No, QEM can't do this, please run Quicken 2007." Now, they say the same thing about QEM and say "2007 runs on Snow Leopard, not Lion." They talk out of two sides of their mouth. No substantial product for Mac exists to replace the impotent but better Quicken 2007 in my opinion. Then, my scanner is perfectly good but the software won't run because it has Motorola PPC code in it. Then why not force me to buy MS OFFICE 2011 because MS Word in 2008's Office won't run. I called Apple today, mind you it is May 15, 2011 today and the tech adviser said he didn't know about what would happen because there is so much still to go with Lion but he would be surprised, indeed shocked if Apple got rid of Rosetta which makes it possible to run PPC code in SL. Why would Apple cut off its software arm to spite its face?, I say. Listen, go to www.apple.com/feedback and under iMac, everybody on this forum should tell apple to KEEP ROSETTA IN LION!!!!! You do not understand the ramifications of not having Rosetta in that new operating system. Expense, new peripherals, new apps not written in Carbon. NO APPS worth replacing the better, older ones that won't run if Apple keeps up this nonsense.

Well, it's probably time to upgrade your hardware then. From your post I take it you are on an iMac. That one just got upgraded, so now's a good as time as any. If you're not going to upgrade you can probably use Image Capture.app instead of your scanner software. Solipsism gave a founded reason for Apple not to include Rosetta and instructions on Logic Pro. Quicken, yeah, that sucks. Then again, things change. Office, I don't know, maybe an alternative (eg OpenOffice) can suffice?

And welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

PhilBoogie
  • Reply 224 of 268
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Here is a great article about Quicken not being able to run on Mac OS X Lion:

http://scottworldblog.wordpress.com/...apple-save-us/
  • Reply 225 of 268
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    I've been using See Finance for the past two months and just last week deleted Quicken. It imported 15 years of Quicken data without a hiccup. I am Lion-ready!
  • Reply 226 of 268
    ixplorerixplorer Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice! I don?t agree with Marvin on too many things, but the uselessness of QT7 for quick edits is certainly one of them.

I didn?t realize how few (10) apps I have that require Rosetta. More importantly, that I can delete each and every one of them? and probably should.
    edit: And then there were none?. Once 1Password works in Lion I?ll likely be ready to make the jump.

1Password defn works for me as the running app... and its defn works in FFox v3.6.17 ... FYI.

Little Snitch however is STUFFED... But Lion does have its own Application based firewall... which looks like it can do the same thing... however you have to set up the rules BEFORE you connect. Which sucks.

I still cannot believe that Lion has reversed the scroll direction for the trackpad up is now down and down is now fucking up !

g
  • Reply 227 of 268
    anyone that has the links directly to the Java for my dead Lion... much appreciated ... saying they are someone where on an oracle site... hasn't helped.

Thanks

g
  • Reply 228 of 268
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ixplorer View Post

1Password defn works for me as the running app... and its defn works in FFox v3.6.17 ... FYI.

Little Snitch however is STUFFED... But Lion does have its own Application based firewall... which looks like it can do the same thing... however you have to set up the rules BEFORE you connect. Which sucks.

I still cannot believe that Lion has reversed the scroll direction for the trackpad up is now down and down is now fucking up !

g

You can reverse the scroll direction in Lion.
  • Reply 229 of 268
    Quote:

anyone that has the links directly to the Java for my dead Lion... much appreciated ... saying they are someone where on an oracle site... hasn't helped.

Thanks

g

I find macupdate.com is the easiest way to find stuff.
  • Reply 230 of 268
    Quote:

Little Snitch however is STUFFED...

Except there's a new beta that works perfectly.

Quote:

Take a gander at System Preferences to bring scrolling back to sanity.
  • Reply 231 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Instead of switching it back immediately, try the new way. It took me about a day to get used to it.
  • Reply 232 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Instead of switching it back immediately, try the new way. It took me about a day to get used to it.

Nah. When I can touch my stuff, then I'll scroll the iPad way. Can't touch it now. Scrolling my way.
  • Reply 233 of 268
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am surprised there are so many people using PPC apps. Even if the particular app you like has no Intel version, there are many apps on the Mac App Store, maybe one of them would do as an alternative?

Easy to say, but if you have 12-15 years of family finances on Quicken, pretty tuff to do.Their latest version is not compatible with the data on their old version, and is a crippled version. Moving to Windows for those files is problematic, as the converter is not 100% accurate.

Myself, I am going to keep my snow leopard clone on an external HD partition, and use that only for my Quicken, until there is a clearer path.
  • Reply 234 of 268
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I've been using See Finance for the past two months and just last week deleted Quicken. It imported 15 years of Quicken data without a hiccup. I am Lion-ready!

I may have to end up doing that, but See doesn't support online bill pay, which is actually a problem for me. I would have to double enter everything, which is not a cool thing. I will wait to upgrade for a bit, and see if anything washes out. But so far, See seems to be the best bet.
  • Reply 235 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except there's a new beta that works perfectly.

Downloading as we speak thanks.

Thanks for that ... couldnt see it for looking !... FYI its the top item in TrackPad Sys prefs. Stunned they even included it.

Still trying to find Java again... heeeeeelllpppp... the actual link to the file pls...
  • Reply 236 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thanks for that ... couldnt see it for looking !... FYI its the top item in TrackPad Sys prefs. Stunned they even included it.

Still trying to find Java again... heeeeeelllpppp... the actual link to the file pls...

There is no Java installed by default. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app to install it.
  • Reply 237 of 268
    Hmmm... thanks for the App link... but have run updater before for it to only tell me i need another friggin itunes... i just want java so my life can go forward... or im looking at a format... restore of Snow. arrrggghhhh
  • Reply 238 of 268
    That finally worked a treat... god that was annoying. Yay... Lion works... and all i can see is iCal is poked... anyone got a working iCal ?

thx
  • Reply 239 of 268
    Quote:

and all i can see is iCal is poked... anyone got a working iCal ?

I have no idea what "poked" is. iCal works perfectly fine for me.
  • Reply 240 of 268
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Hmmm... thanks for the App link... but have run updater before for it to only tell me i need another friggin itunes...

That's Software Update - try /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app