Apple announces iPad 2 with new design, faster A5 processor

Comments

• Reply 141 of 417
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So do I because November seems a long time to wait for it's release.

P.S. in our date format it's 11/3

I assume by 'our' you mean American? day/month/year is the standard way of doing it most places.
  • Reply 142 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

File under: Gotta' Love 'em

Apple?s iPad 2 Is About to Enter a Crowded Field

http://www.eweek.com/

Wow, just wow. Maybe it would be a good idea if tech writers were forced to go through a licensing process so idiots like the one at eWeek couldn't pollute the Internet.
  • Reply 143 of 417
    Not enough improvement for me to give up my ipad 1 3g/64. I guess I will be waiting for the iPad 3.

I really wish Apple would have increased the resolution and added 4G support.
  • Reply 144 of 417
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Mirrored image HDMI FOR THE FUCKING WIN
  • Reply 145 of 417
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

Very disappointing - not nearly as good as Motorola Xoom.

It looks like 2011 will be a year of Android tablets after all.

Why do I bother with the Trolls???

How exactly is the Xoom so much better?

The processors are comparable at least, and the iPad 2 processor will probably perform better than the Tegra 2.

No word on memory on the iPad 2 yet, but it's either going to be 512MB or I would think 1GB which would be a match for the Xoom.

Display resolution is almost the same, only a slight edge for the Xoom.

Camera specs aren't out yet, but I would guess they will be a wash.

The price is comparable for the same storage footprint, so that's only the slightest edge for the Xoom also.

How about quality? I know that Motorola has had numerous dubious products in the past, and Apple has also had issues but I would definitely give Apple the edge there.

How about applications? The App Store offers over 350k apps.

So I guess the $30 price difference, Flash support, and miniscule display resolution advantage is what makes the Xoom so very much better. Have fun.
  • Reply 146 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cybervex View Post

Not enough improvement for me to give up my ipad 1 3g/64. I guess I will be waiting for the iPad 3.

I really wish Apple would have increased the resolution and added 4G support.

Well at least you don't have to get rid of your first one so quickly. Enjoy it for another year, save some money. It's still good.
  • Reply 147 of 417
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Anyone else notice that Prof. Peabody never comments when Steve Jobs is on stage...

No, but, even though I often disagree with him, Prof. Peabody makes thoughtful, reasoned on-topic posts.

• Reply 148 of 417
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Except it's the exact opposite of what Apple has been trying to tell users for years: "your (iPhone/iPod/iPad) screen doesn't need a cover".

The aluminum back is far more sensitive to scratches than glass so they make a case that covers the tough material and leaves the soft one completely exposed

Overall it's quite an impressive upgrade, although extremely lame that they went with the same crappy cameras as last year's iPod touch.

I'll never buy one because the price/performance/size thing doesn't work for me, but I expect it to sell extremely well to other people.

My guess is this has to do witn the much thinner glass. Dropping it without the protecting cover would increase tne likelyhood of breaking it compard with the original. Smart move, I'd say.
  • Reply 149 of 417
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Samsung, Motorola and RIM are stressed today. Especially RIM who will soon deliver a competing product that will be slower, heavier, thicker, more expensive and have no apps.
  • Reply 150 of 417
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Pretty much what was expected" - An incremental 'Update'.

It would have been nice to have:

- A higher resolution display

- A bump to 128gb at the high end

- Higher resolution cameras

- Built-in Stereo speakers

- An SDHC/XC card slot for transferring pictures etc.

- A dock port that allows the connector to sit flush writhe the device.

- A design that didn't force one to buy all new cases/accessories.

Overall, this really is what the device should have been at the beginning, and I'm sure it will sell very well.

I think they should at least have built in dolby surround 5.1 with buildin speakers and subwoofer evrything detatchable with retractable 10m cords. Plus an inflatable 30" touch screen. the whole thing ought to be self concious and help you with your loudry.
  • Reply 151 of 417
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Let the bitching begin...

It doesn't matter, someone is always not happy. Some people just like to complain about something.
  • Reply 152 of 417
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

I think that might be a good idea, the only thing you will really be missing is GPS. The wifi version does not come with GPS, so if you are hiking (i do this allot with my iPad 1) or out with your iPad you will not see your location. Now the wifi version can use Wifi geo-location to find where your iPad is but I'm not sure if this will work with the personal hot spot feature and if you have no wifi connection then you will have no location info

There is a blue tooth gps product that does work with the iPad & ipod though. its $100

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M3BICU

Pardon, but if you're teathering with your iPhone 4 then couldn't you just check your phone for the GPS location?

Food for thought!
  • Reply 153 of 417
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Overall looks great, but still a few unanswered questions:

512MB or 1GB Ram?

Any improvement on the display?

Resolution of front facing camera?

Why is the RAM size important to you? Are there programs today that you can't run in the current iPad's RAM space?
  • Reply 154 of 417
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

That's a cute video for the smart cover.

But what are we supposed to do with it when holding the iPad during use?

The new cover folds back when open so the iPad 2 can be held open with one hand (the cover is magnetic).

What I am STILL missing is a dedicated GPS chip! I'm a geologist and without GPS the iPad for me is not very useful. Given all of the apps the iPhones have that use GPS - this is a real let down for the iPad 2.
  • Reply 155 of 417
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IKnowThat2 View Post

Is this game by apple for apple fanboys so they keep spending money for some smaller updates???

RAM is only 512MB compared to 1GB for Xoom.(This may limit/control future iOS upgrade for sure)

No 4G support (Need new iPad3 for that,spend more money on i*!!!, LOL)

No USB

No Flash(Expected),but really need for pc/tablet experience

No SD Slot

Display resolution inferior to Xoom

No Widgets which are much more usable for tablets.

Extra money for HDMI adapter while is is part of Xoom

Display resolution is still same as iPad1!!

All features like Duel processor, front/rear camera, Gyro, HDMI, USB, Flash support,

Widget support, 1GB RAM,SD Card slot to expand memory,4G support, better resolution display are already part of Xoom.

No wonder it is $79 chceaper then Xoom, add all cost up and Xoom will come out cbetter then iPad2($39 just for hdmi adapter, LOL)

The xoom is missing 65000 apps.

Frankly the xoom hasn't a hope.
  • Reply 156 of 417
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Why do I bother with the Trolls???

How exactly is the Xoom so much better?

The processors are comparable at least, and the iPad 2 processor will probably perform better than the Tegra 2.

No word on memory on the iPad 2 yet, but it's either going to be 512MB or I would think 1GB which would be a match for the Xoom.

Display resolution is almost the same, only a slight edge for the Xoom.

Camera specs aren't out yet, but I would guess they will be a wash.

The price is comparable for the same storage footprint, so that's only the slightest edge for the Xoom also.

How about quality? I know that Motorola has had numerous dubious products in the past, and Apple has also had issues but I would definitely give Apple the edge there.

How about applications? The App Store offers over 350k apps.

So I guess the $30 price difference, Flash support, and miniscule display resolution advantage is what makes the Xoom so very much better. Have fun.

Xoom is comparable, but the webOS tablet coming out seems a bit more appealing, but only in terms of software. WebOS just seems perfect for a tablet.

Xoom is more expensive also, isn't it?

Either way, this isn't a big enough leap to keep Apple as far ahead as they have been. We all knew this day would come, which is what Apple is so wonderful for: They keep everyone else working hard.

If this summer really does go to Android, that just means the iPad 3 will be that much better. The guy wasn't trolling btw.
  • Reply 157 of 417
    niko03niko03 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Yikes. I sure hope iOS 5 has some major improvements to keep people happy until iPad 3 comes out.

Also, HDMI with a special $39 connector? How is that slick, convenient, or a good user experience. I hate carrying bags of connectors cables and dongles, and even more so with an ultra-portable.

Airplay.

Really you at least need an HDMI cable if you're traveling and want to output it to a hotel TV, and you can't always count on a business having a spare HDMI cable laying around since VGA is the most ubiquitous, followed by DVI, whats a 2 inch adapter on the end going to matter?
  • Reply 158 of 417
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Yikes. I sure hope iOS 5 has some major improvements to keep people happy until iPad 3 comes out.

Also, HDMI with a special $39 connector? How is that slick, convenient, or a good user experience. I hate carrying bags of connectors cables and dongles, and even more so with an ultra-portable.

Dude, doesn't matter if the iPad had a separate micro-HDMI port on it - you'd still need a cable!

Having HDMI come out of the dock connector is fine. You'll be carrying a cable either way. Apple is not going to give up the dock connector. It supports an ecosystem of over 200 million devices, and even more peripherals. Get used to it. No competitor even comes close. Apple gave us the HDMI output we've been wanting. Stop complaining.
  • Reply 159 of 417
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The display is stunning, what needs to be changed about it?

One rumour was that the glass would be less reflective than the first version.
  • Reply 160 of 417
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The xoom is missing 65000 apps.

Frankly the xoom hasn't a hope.

To be 100% fair the iPad didn't have a great deal of optimized apps when it was first released either.