Apple attracts 70% new buyers with iPad 2 launch - survey

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A survey of customers buying the iPad 2 at launch has found that 70 percent of those customers are new to the platform and did not own Apple's original iPad.



Researchers at Piper Jaffray, including analyst Gene Munster, polled 236 people in line for the iPad 2 when it went on sale last Friday. Launches are usually driven by users upgrading, like last year's launch of the iPhone 4, when just 23 percent of handset buyers were new to the iPhone platform.



But Piper Jaffray's poll found that more than two-thirds of first-day iPad 2 buyers are new to the iPad, suggesting that Apple's touchscreen tablet is attracting many new users with its second-generation model.



"We continue to believe that Apple sold 400k-500 iPad 2s over the weekend," Munster wrote. We note that the weekend number for iPad 2 is essentially a launch day total because stock across retailers was mostly depleted late Friday and not replenished during the weekend."



Munster's numbers are largely in line with other analysts, who expect Apple to sell at least a half-million of the iPad 2 in its launch weekend. At least one more bullish analyst has said investors shouldn't be surprised if Apple sells a million.



Munster has forecast sales of 5.5 million iPads in the March quarter, a number he said is now "likely conservative" based on strong demand for the iPad 2 in both stores and online. On Saturday, Apple was forced to delay the estimated ship date to as long as a month for new iPad 2 orders via its online store.



The Piper Jaffray survey also found that 47 percent of buyers were purchasing a 3G model, with a $130 premium over the Wi-Fi-only counterparts.



A total of 41 percent surveyed opted for the 32GB model, which was up from the 32% that bought the 32GB capacity of the first iPad. And the 64GB model also gained share, suggesting that the average selling price of the iPad 2 may be greater than the first iPad.



Of those in line on Friday, 65 percent of respondents said they owned an iPhone, 24 percent said they owned a Kindle, though only 6 percent intend to read with their iPad. A more popular use for the iPad 2 is using apps and playing games, which 17 percent said they intend to do.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 101
    Ouch. My head aches, given that an AI headline yesterday said just about the opposite!



    (I agree with this one, though).
  • Reply 2 of 101
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Yes, it does seem to be the opposite of a recent post
  • Reply 3 of 101
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Judging by the long lines Friday, in Apple Stores, Bestbuy, and other stores from coast to coast, and the news that almost all the stores sold out of the item, I think this is a conservative estimate. The number sold Friday and over the weekend, I believe, is much more that.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    There will be another survey tomorrow with yet another set of numbers, which means we'd be able to give AI 3 clicks instead of just 1 click.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    A survey of customers buying the iPad 2 at launch has found that 70 percent of those customers are new to the platform and did not own Apple's original iPad.



    Researchers at Piper Jaffray, including analyst Gene Munster, polled 236 people in line for the iPad 2 when it went on sale last Friday. Launches are usually driven by users upgrading, like last year's launch of the iPhone 4, when just 23 percent of handset buyers were new to the iPhone platform.



    But Piper Jaffray's poll found that more than two-thirds of first-day iPad 2 buyers are new to the iPad, suggesting that Apple's touchscreen tablet is attracting many new users with its second-generation model.



    "We continue to believe that Apple sold 400k-500 iPad 2s over the weekend," Munster wrote. We note that the weekend number for iPad 2 is essentially a launch day total because stock across retailers was mostly depleted late Friday and not replenished during the weekend."



    Munster's numbers are largely in line with other analysts, who expect Apple to sell at least a half-million of the iPad 2 in its launch weekend. At least one more bullish analyst has said investors shouldn't be surprised if Apple sells a million.



    Munster has forecast sales of 5.5 million iPads in the March quarter, a number he said is now "likely conservative" based on strong demand for the iPad 2 in both stores and online. On Saturday, Apple was forced to delay the estimated ship date to as long as a month for new iPad 2 orders via its online store.



    The Piper Jaffray survey also found that 47 percent of buyers were purchasing a 3G model, with a $130 premium over the Wi-Fi-only counterparts.



    A total of 41 percent surveyed opted for the 32GB model, which was up from the 32% that bought the 32GB capacity of the first iPad. And the 64GB model also gained share, suggesting that the average selling price of the iPad 2 may be greater than the first iPad.



    Of those in line on Friday, 65 percent of respondents said they owned an iPhone, 24 percent said they owned a Kindle, though only 6 percent intend to read with their iPad. A more popular use for the iPad 2 is using apps and playing games, which 17 percent said they intend to do.



    I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    wheeleswheeles Posts: 36member
    There are a lot of people who won't buy a first generation Apple product and will wait for the 2nd generation. Having said that, those people who wanted to buy were probably desperate with gadget-envy, so bought as soon as they could. That being the case, this data point (from a very small dataset) is statistically meaningless given the likely skew of the pent-up demand from this group.



    All that can be deduced from this is that 70% of the 236 people surveyed did not already own an iPad. In another store the figure could be only 20%.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Those in line that were over 4 ft tall, either male or female, who knew what day of the week it was, recognized that Apple was not just a fruit, able to pronounce their own name, and who weren't in line to wait for the Justin Bieber film, comprised this very scientific study, which was significant to the p-value of 1.00 (look it up). But wait....back at you with a similar EVEN more scientific study tomorrow, or not.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post


    I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.



    Agree... Which is why the 500k number seems way low to me!
  • Reply 9 of 101
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post


    I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.



    I have to laugh at this simplistic analysis because there were what, 15 million iPad's sold? And you think there could have been another 15 million sold? What then of the iPad2? I think you need to go to business school.



    Apple couldn't blow it's wad on all features for the iPad otherwise there would be no reason to make an iPad2.



    For those of us many, many millions who bought an iPad, I'm pretty sure the "giant iPod Touch" thing was never a factor.



    Somehow when I saw my oncologist with one at the Stanford Cancer Center and he was using it to look at my CT scans, zooming in and panning and scanning, I never thought of it as a 10" iPod Touch because no iPod Touch or iPhone could do that with even a trace of comfort as the iPad did. I applauded Apple for the vision and willingness to put it out there, despite what the haters say.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post


    I think a lot of people felt that the first generation iPad was nothing more then a 10" iPod Touch and that Apple could have done a lot more with iPad v1 so they waited until iPad v2. I am one of those people. Things like HDMI and cameras for Facetime should have been on iPad v1. Now that they are on v2 people are a bit happier and willing to buy.



    Should have been? Why do say that instead of ?would have liked??
  • Reply 11 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I was at the flagship Apple store tonight, the one on Fifth Ave, which is the biggest selling store in the entire world.



    I wasn't there to get a new iPad, because there were none left and I knew that before I went there, I just happened to be in the neighborhood so I stopped by for a quick minute. I did get a chance to test out the new iPad for a little bit and there's not much to say about it besides it's great!



    I already know what the headlines here are going to be this coming week.



    I was talking to an Apple employee for a few minutes and while they don't know or mention any numbers of course, they did say that it was the most successful and biggest selling launch in their history. They were even sold out of all smart covers, every single one, and there were huge lines with people just to get a smart cover yesterday.
  • Reply 12 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    Ouch. My head aches, given that an AI headline yesterday said just about the opposite!



    (I agree with this one, though).





    This survey is a little better done than the one posted Friday. The first survey was of 50 people (out of 250) standing in line at the Palo Alto/Stanford store. This current article surveyed nearly 5 times as many people (236) from 2 locations, NYNY and Minneapolis MN.



    So this survey is better, but doesn't strike me as good.

  • Reply 13 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,379member
    I am not surprised at all. I am looking forward to the anti-Apple folk's spin on this one. Seems to me Apple just xoomed even further ahead!
  • Reply 14 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post


    I have to laugh at this simplistic analysis because there were what, 15 million iPad's sold? And you think there could have been another 15 million sold? What then of the iPad2? I think you need to go to business school.



    Apple couldn't blow it's wad on all features for the iPad otherwise there would be no reason to make an iPad2.



    For those of us many, many millions who bought an iPad, I'm pretty sure the "giant iPod Touch" thing was never a factor.



    Somehow when I saw my oncologist with one at the Stanford Cancer Center and he was using it to look at my CT scans, zooming in and panning and scanning, I never thought of it as a 10" iPod Touch because no iPod Touch or iPhone could do that with even a trace of comfort as the iPad did. I applauded Apple for the vision and willingness to put it out there, despite what the haters say.



    Laugh all you want at the simplistic analysis. The truth is there were few lines, and plenty of iPad v1 available for purchase days after the release (unlike the iPad v2 which is sold out anywhere). Yes, iPad v1 was successful, but people knew that Apple was holding back and waiting for v2.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Should have been? Why do say that instead of ?would have liked??





    No, I say,"should have been" or should of had. Those were things available on other devices. They should have been on iPad v1. Apple was just holding them back for the next version.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,379member
    This to me is the most telling statistic out today: "Buyers were split almost evenly between Mac and PC users (51%/49%). By contrast, the split for the original iPad was 74%/26%."
  • Reply 17 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masteric View Post


    No, I say,"should have been" or should of had. Those were things available on other devices. They should have been on iPad v1. Apple was just holding them back for the next version.



    What other touch controlled tablets are you referring to here that had such things available when iPad 1 was launched?
  • Reply 18 of 101
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    iPad is a very good study tool when paired with dropbox and numbers. I was able to do a black scholes opm calculation in numbers pretty painlessly, and PowerPoint and PDF lecture notes are so much easier to read on an iPad then even a 13 inch MacBook.



    Since I only needed iPad as a study tool I actually bought first gen. I think every student in business, science, law and literature should have at least the first gen iPad and if they play games an iPad 2.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Analysts are not to be believed.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member
    That is what I want to know.

    What percentage of those buying have no intention of even opening the box?
Sign In or Register to comment.