Japanese disaster could leave Apple with shortage of five key iPad 2 components

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kravemas View Post

Apple knows whats going on and they need to come up with a better way to get the product in hand of actual users.

They do. One Apple employee said that it was disgusting but they were powerless to do anything about it, at least under the current rules that they have. Those rules should be changed, obviously.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The GPS can only tell where you are, and if you move, which direction you are moving. But it can't tell which direction you are facing. If GPS was accurate within inches, then you could put two GPS sensors in the device and determine which direction you are facing, but beyond that, magnets are the only way.

Hence I mentioned triangulation using cell towers or something. You'd think there was a way.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

What caught my eye, and perhaps more significant in long run

"... advanced ... manufacturing technologies that reside in Japan?

Doubt that refers to $5.00 a day sweat shop laborers working some assembly line

So why aren't we doing that here in USA ?

Oh, forgot ...

Our Nation Public School Systems are 93rd in World in Math and Science

(or something like that)

But our Football and Basketball and Baseball Programs are # 1

(yes, we're Number 1, we're Number 1)

And, we have Star Search - is THE route to Fame and Fortune

(or might hit the Lotto)

Yea, silly Japanese, what do they know

Now, what was that TV channel for March Madness ?

LOL

You do realise that there is actually a manufacturing boom in the USA. Of course to get a job in that industry you need to get your ass into prison and all for slave labour wages. The prison manufacturing industry is now a multi billion dollar one and is supported by the likes of Microsoft and IBM among others.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    I think we can all wait a month or two for our iPads. Our thoughts should be with those poor folks getting their life back in order.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

I think we can all wait a month or two for our iPads. Our thoughts should be with those poor folks getting their life back in order.

My girlfriend is actually leaving for Japan tomorrow. The main reason I tried to get an iPad yesterday was because I was going to let her bring it with her instead of her old macbook. That didn't work out too well, thanks to the professional hoodlums which primarily consists of geriatric people working for gangs.

And that whole nuclear situation in Japan is overhyped and exaggerated, especially by the media and other drama queens.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

LOL

You do realise that there is actually a manufacturing boom in the USA. Of course to get a job in that industry you need to get your ass into prison and all for slave labour wages. The prison manufacturing industry is now a multi billion dollar one and is supported by the likes of Microsoft and IBM among others.

Ah, so that explains the increased interest in privatizing the prison system! I can see less than honest judges being given the list of skills required for a finders fee ...
  • Reply 27 of 124
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hence I mentioned triangulation using cell towers or something. You'd think there was a way.

Triangulation, like GPS only gives you location, not orientation.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

LOL

You have to weight the benefit-cost of having prisoners sit around doing nothing but exchange techniques at commiting crimes or having them work and pay back some of the cost of keeping them locked up.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

What about a gyrocompass? I'm determined to solve the iPad's magnet problem
  • Reply 30 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Just read this not sure how far apart the antennae ned to be though and no doubt death grips would send you off course anyway pitch and roll would useful when out drinking too ... "GPS receivers using two or more antennae can now achieve 0.5° in heading accuracy and have startup times in seconds rather than hours for gyrocompass systems. Manufactured primarily for maritime applications, they can also detect pitch and roll of ships."
  • Reply 31 of 124
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

.But our Football and Basketball and Baseball Programs are # 1

(yes, we're Number 1, we're Number 1).

Only because the world doesn't care about those "sports". OK, basketball is a real sport.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Now finally everyone will care about Japan!
  • Reply 33 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My girlfriend is actually leaving for Japan tomorrow. The main reason I tried to get an iPad yesterday was because I was going to let her bring it with her instead of her old macbook. That didn't work out too well, thanks to the professional hoodlums which primarily consists of geriatric people working for gangs.

And that whole nuclear situation in Japan is overhyped and exaggerated, especially by the media and other drama queens.

I hope your gf has a safe visit and I sincerely hope you are correct on the over hyping but I'm fearful it maybe the reverse of that and much being kept untold as is the norm in these nuclear situations.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Now finally everyone will care about Japan!

I care about Japan. I also care about getting an iPad. Caring about one doesn't negate the other.

• Reply 35 of 124
    Quote:

What about a gyrocompass? I'm determined to solve the iPad's magnet problem

What magnet problem? It works just fine...
  • Reply 36 of 124
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

Since YOU are not one of those we need to worry about

You "get it"

Quote:

... after all those years of pro creationism and other anti-science madness. Hopefully we can do something serious about math and science teaching over the next few years. In the end though it may be more about parental attitudes, in those countries teachers are respected and science isn't constantly being attacked

But, will challenge you on ONE thing ...

"AFTER all those years" ?

Humm, look around at Wisconsin, here in Florida (I'm in Tally), etc etc

Gotta Balance those Budgets, and Public Schools are good place to start

Or so the "Lipton/Tetley Beverage Folks" seem to believe, yes ?

Otherwise, as I've heard it put ...

For 20 or 30 years, those who COULD have gone into Math/Science as Career

Doing things like the 'Advanced Technology of the Future'

Instead chose another Path for their Analytical Skills and Knowledge

Went to Wall Street to cash in on Derivatives and Junk Bonds

And how many Ships have been lifted by THAT 'Rising Tide' ?

• Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:

I hope your gf has a safe visit and I sincerely hope you are correct on the over hyping but I'm fearful it maybe the reverse of that and much being kept untold as is the norm in these nuclear situations.

Thanks. The area she is visiting is in Western Japan which is far removed from where those nuke plants that are having problems are located.

The hype I was referring to was about people on the West coast of the USA buying up Potassium Iodide tablets like crazy. I found that to be pretty laughable.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

What magnet problem? It works just fine...

Oh ok that's good to know thanks. It was a conversation started by the unanswered question of how the compass on an iPad 2 would fair with all the extra magnets added to accommodate the new iPad 2 cover which as we all know uses a lot of magnets with paired mates in the body of the iPad 2. You obviously have an iPad 2 and are reporting it works. I'm just curious how Apple accomplished this, hence the thread.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:

Thanks. The area she is visiting is in Western Japan which is far removed from where those nuke plants that are having problems are.

The hype I was referring to was about people on the West coast of the USA buying up Potassium Iodide tablets like crazy. I found that to be pretty laughable.

Oh yes on the latter, I agree. Their brain cells have a shorter half-life than some of the fall out I suspect!
  • Reply 40 of 124
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Yeah, core meltdowns, reactor breaches, and MOX fuel fires are so overhyped. I bet those guys with the fire hoses struggling to prevent a phreatic explosion in a dark, highly radioactive nuclear plant think it's really over hyped too.