Japanese disaster could leave Apple with shortage of five key iPad 2 components

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Right. It is imperative to add <sarcasm> for that very reason!

Clueless. He said you are young and stupid. He hasn't been around here very long.
  • Reply 102 of 124
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's true what you say about the US producing some of the best engineers and scientists in the world and that foreign auto manufacturers use US design firms... but, until recently, that ability sure didn't transfer over into the production end of the goods.

Not really. Car manufacturing is far more than design and engineering.

They produced high quality, highly profitable vehicles that people (stupidly) wanted (SUVs.) The real problems were with marketing, finance, management, etc. The single biggest problem was the unsustainable defined benefit obligations they entered into with the UAW (not a science, tech, or design issue.) Now that they are unencumbered their true profitability is unleashed. [adding– The financial pressures of these obligations forced them to make only relatively large expensive vehicles because of the higher profit margin. This got them in a bad way when people suddenly wanted smaller cars that were not as profitable.]

(I know some will disagree here -) Too bad we didn't get a single payer health insurance system with Obama (although he never promised it, as he's far more moderate than Republicans believe.) The finance (which is also a technology) failure situation was used to scare folks and prevented it. Moving the medical care obligation from industry to government and making it portable for workers would have made us far more competitive with the rest of the world.
  • Reply 103 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Clueless. He said you are young and stupid. He hasn't been around here very long.

Hey I like being called young

Not reading my footer was a clue he wasn't too sharp.
  • Reply 104 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Right. It is imperative to add <sarcasm> for that very reason!

I think that the beauty of sarcasm is lost then if people have to add tags at the end of what they write. Most people will get and understand well written sarcasm. The few that don't, well, that's their problem, in my opinion. I love sarcasm, and I can't imagine having to keep adding tags if I wrote something that was sarcastic.
  • Reply 105 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Not really. Car manufacturing is far more than design and engineering.

They produced high quality, highly profitable vehicles that people (stupidly) wanted (SUVs.) The real problems were with marketing, finance, management, etc. The single biggest problem was the unsustainable defined benefit obligations they entered into with the UAW (not a science, tech, or design issue.) Now that they are unencumbered their true profitability is unleashed.

I wasn't talking about profitability... I was talking about the GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles of the 70s, 80s and 90s that that had a much lower reliability rating than the vehicles manufactured by the Japanese (some of which were/are manufactured in the US).

[wasn't this thread originally about iPad2 supply constraints caused by the disaster in Japan ]
  • Reply 106 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wasn't talking about profitability... I was talking about the GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles of the 70s, 80s and 90s that that had a much lower reliability rating than the vehicles manufactured by the Japanese (some of which were/are manufactured in the US).

[wasn't this thread originally about iPad2 supply constraints caused by the disaster in Japan ]

LOL

yes it was. but . . .

70s and 80's yes. But again, it was more a matter of leadership resistance than engineering. They tried to solve the CAFE issue with lobbying and campaign donations rather than allowing the designers and engineers to use their creativity. American cars had caught up by the 90s, but the damage was done. [BTW I'm driving a 96 Saturn with over 200k miles on it and people always think it's only a 4 or 5 years old (if they have no style sense.) Pretty darn good car.]
  • Reply 107 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that the beauty of sarcasm is lost then if people have to add tags at the end of what they write. Most people will get and understand well written sarcasm. The few that don't, well, that's their problem, in my opinion. I love sarcasm, and I can't imagine having to keep adding tags if I wrote something that was sarcastic.

I know, but the flaming you get from all the knuckleheads taking you literally gets pretty old.
  • Reply 108 of 124
    Quote:

I know, but the flaming you get from all the knuckleheads taking you literally gets pretty old.

I have to admit that I always get a good laugh when people miss obvious sarcasm. I try to make my sarcasm obvious, but am amused when it's missed. I hate when it causes an unending chain reaction of sarcasm and/or self-righteous indignation though.
  • Reply 109 of 124
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:

But if the forum allow people to add a "laughing at you" tag to the post of those knuckleheads, it would be really fun.
  • Reply 110 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The GPS can only tell where you are, and if you move, which direction you are moving. But it can't tell which direction you are facing. If GPS was accurate within inches, then you could put two GPS sensors in the device and determine which direction you are facing, but beyond that, magnets are the only way.

It does need to be accurate to within inches. It just needs to be able to measure the time difference it takes for the signal to reach each antenna. That's the way your ears work to determine which direction a sound comes from. We are not that good at it, but owls and bats are extremely good at locating things this way.
  • Reply 111 of 124
    Quote:

Especially out of context.

To quote Winston Churchill, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the weapon of the uneducated"
  • Reply 112 of 124
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think we would like to believe this to minimize our corruption. The results of the corruption of some third world banana republic is minimal to the results of corruption in the western world. Our corruption affects everything.

Quote:

I'm not claiming that the western, developed world is perfect, far from it. I just think that the level of corruption is far, far greater in many third world countries.

• Reply 113 of 124
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RMBootneck View Post

To quote Winston Churchill, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and the weapon of the uneducated"

Winston Churchill was a renowned wit expert.
  • Reply 114 of 124
    Quote:

Oddly enough... Winston wasn't above sarcasm himself.
  • Reply 115 of 124
    Quote:

I think he was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 116 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

But if the forum allow people to add a "laughing at you" tag to the post of those knuckleheads, it would be really fun.

• Reply 117 of 124
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:

...have huge groups of people at every single Apple store.

Wrong.

Quote:

.Apple has tried to do something about the Asian scalpers in the past but Apple was warned by the Attorney General that they can't discriminate based on race.

Did Jobs tell you this directly?

Because a google search on this topic turns up only your post.

• Reply 118 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Wrong.

Did Jobs tell you this directly?

Because a google search on this topic turns up only your post.

You might possibly be the worst Googler in the history of the entire world.

Asian Scalpers Are Wiping Out Apple's Supply Of iPad 2s In New York (AAPL)

http://onespot.wsj.com/small-busines...ing-out-apples

Apple must stop iPad 2 scalpers NOW

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...NOW/1300462970

iPad cads scalping buyers

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/i...=true#comments

Chinese scalpers rush to purchase iPad2

http://www.chinahush.com/2011/03/18/...urchase-ipad2/
  • Reply 119 of 124
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

Hey give the US a chance, we are only a couple of years in recovery after all those years of pro creationism and other anti-science madness. I think we are about 27th or thereabouts now. Hopefully we can do something serious about math and science teaching over the next few years. The Intel sponsored kids science fair was pretty cool the other day. One thing I do notice if how many more hours of class and homework kids in the leading math and science countries put in. In the end though it may be more about parental attitudes, in those countries teachers are respected and science isn't constantly being attacked as being liberal and leftist.

No, southern states are growing in population and political power. I doubt the us will see a growth in native born scientists any time soon. We have to rely on importing top talent from courtries that can actually raise scientists. Weve been pretty successful at importing top talent from smart countries but I dunno how long that will last as we are getting more and more broke while richest countries seem to be in asia now or at least ones with least financial difficulties and most growth.
  • Reply 120 of 124
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unfortunately no matter what they do, someone will scream foul. they say no cash (which they can legally do) they get last years stuff again with old ladies on welfare calling consumer protection lawyers and news stations. They say 'you must prove you are a us citizen' and they will get the same warnings about discrimination because the folks that aren't are generally asian (at least in NYC, SF etc). IF they record id numbers, the privacy nuts will sue. And so on.

Even 'one per person' won't really stop the scalpers cause they will just hire more folks. It's the same money to them.

The only thing the stores can do and not really get in trouble is monitor the line and if they see someone handing out cash etc they can invoke that that makes all those people the same customer and refuse them service just like they do with anyone else that buys two and tries to hand his credit card to his brother back in line. But that takes staff, security back up etc and still might not work

That's not true. The Knox street store in Dallas dent take cash. Several places I go to in NYC don't take cash either.