Mac software chief Bertrand Serlet to depart Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I've never understood the hangups some people have with "profanity". They act like their heads will explode if they hear or read certain words. Language is about expression, and sometimes the best way to express something is to use a word that some people consider "profane".

I know! It's fucking crazy!
  • Reply 82 of 136
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

I don't blame him for his poor English speaking skills though. While I don't know his background, his poor English speaking skills are probably a product of the extremely discriminatory and xenophobic French speaking countries, where all other languages are shunned in favor of French, which they still falsely believe is an important or influential language. It is not.

Probably? Oh Jeez, another guy who never put a foot in the countries he dares to slander yet can repeats the ludicrous fairy tales which were pushed down his throat... Appalling. Someday you may discover that English is the first foreign language studied in the above phantasied as "xenophobic" countries, that if french people suck at having a proper English accent it is most probably because french pronunciation and sonorities are far different from the English one, that you are an ignoramus living on prejudices, etc.

"To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries." - Aldous Huxley

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
  • Reply 83 of 136
    tkutku Posts: 6member
    Think over the next years even more of the "old guard" might leave Apple.

Especially those who came over with Steve.

They might see their mission as accomplished and now pursue new careers or spend more time on personal projects.

These people came to a company, on the brink of bankruptcy fighting an uphill battle to gain respectability again.

Apple now has changed its role from the hunter to the hunted.

So you might go out while on top, you not often get that chance.

Also a good time to enjoy all the millions in stock options they earned over the years.
  • Reply 84 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

The only people voicing these "Frenchman immediately surrendering" xenophobic "jokes" are conditioned bigots brainwashed enough to ignore the more than 1.500.000 french soldiers KIA fighting the Germans for the last century alone, that the French actually won for them their American Revolution at Yorktown, etc. What's just sad is that they seem -as you point out- incredibly numerous, reflecting the sorry state of education and History knowledge in the USA...

While we are on history lessons also ...

A lot of Americans I've met tend to think of Canadians and Brits as "wimps," "nice guys," "gay," or all of the above, but it was the Canadian/British military that handed the US it's ass on a plate in the first shooting war they ever engaged in.

Not taught in American schools much but, the first military action undertaken by the new United States of America, was to invade Canada, so they could bring "civilisation" to us (the fact that we consorted with natives and blacks made us uncivilised in their eyes, because in the America of that day only white folks were humans).

What actually happened was the Americans turned coward in several key battles, gave up in a couple of others and were massacred in a few more. An American general was actually prosecuted for cowardice and was due to be hung but escaped with his life because of family connections. Canada/Britain on the other hand, counter attacked and beat the Americans all the way to the headwaters of the Mississippi, and among other things burned the White House to the ground. America surrendered, and we gave them all their land back because we are so polite up here.

But yeah, "Americans rule!" and Canadians, French, Natives, etc. they are all known "cowards."

Riiight.
  • Reply 85 of 136
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Probably? Oh Jeez, another guy who never put a foot in the countries he dares to slander yet can repeats the ludicrous fairy tales which were pushed down his throat... Appalling. Someday you may discover that English is the first foreign language studied in the above phantasied as "xenophobic" countries, that if french people suck at having a proper English accent it is because french pronunciation and sonorities are far different from the English one, that you are an ignoramus living on prejudices, etc.

I've travelled to and even lived in many countries across the globe on various continents. I have also been to numerous European countries, most recently as of last year and will have some business to attend to there this year also. I have never been to France, and I have no desire to visit that place. I have met enough Frenchmen to know that they are no smarter or better educated than Americans. Ignoramuses can be found everywhere. The French language is not that far removed from every other language on the planet as you seem to suggest. There's a reason why you almost never see a French politician who is speaking to an international audience use English.

As far as "Frenchmen surrendering", the first person who brought it up in this thread is the person who you replied to, before you embarked upon your kneejerking and bigoted rant.
  • Reply 86 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

My problem is that I realised that at 22! That actually makes things harder when you figure this stuff out when you're still young! Or maybe I'm just a hippie or have been one all along...

I'm 33 this year, enough savings to not have to work for a year, quitting my job soon, but really needing to refocus the career on this tablet stuff. Web was 2000-2010. Mobile is 2011-2020. Time to shift gears from PHP to... ??????

One thing though... I'm not a corporate type, I'm not management type. Creative, concept, marketing, dreamer type. That's another problem there! Or... Crisis-tunity!!

Hey that sounds great, my hat off to you. I hope the year gives you the chance to be extra creative and productive. p.s. Oh and don't ever change, creative people rule ok.
  • Reply 87 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've travelled to and even lived in many countries across the globe on various continents. I have also been to numerous European countries, most recently as of last year and will have some business to attend to there this year also. I have never been to France, and I have no desire to visit that place. I have met enough Frenchmen to know that they are no smarter or better educated than Americans. Ignoramuses can be found everywhere. The French language is not that far removed from every other language on the planet as you seem to suggest. There's a reason why you almost never see a French politician who is speaking to an international audience use English.

As far as "Frenchmen surrendering", the first person who brought it up in this thread is the person who you replied to, before you embarked upon your kneejerking and bigoted rant.

Many in the French speaking world do fear for the loss of their language to English for sure. However, the same can be said for many a Brit regarding American English!

But remember, stereo types don't a country make.

p.s.... If you do get to France check out the steet corner vendor making fresh crêpe! mmmmmm

Back on Topic ... My money is still on seeing Scott Forstall take over a joint OS team.
  • Reply 88 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Good luck Mr. Serlet on your new horizon!

This is not the first time this has happened. Serlet replaced Avie Tevanian, the then VP of Mac OS software. There was some hemming and hawing when Tevanian left. The NeXT circle is still going though. Tevanian was a NeXT vet (Mr. Mach kernel himself). Serlet was a NeXT vet. And the successor, Federighi is a NeXT vet. Not mention Forstall is a NeXT vet as well. Pretty soon, they are going to run out of NeXT people.

+1 on this (not the last part however);

I hemmed and hawed when Avie left. But now, more than ever... one can revise history to really state "In 1997, on the brink of collapse, Apple paid NeXT to take over Apple."
  • Reply 89 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ouch! I'm not even going there.

Exactly, give him enough rope . . .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Could you work in the term "poor english skills" one more time? I don't think you used it quite enough. And maybe you could work in another backhanded dig at French culture while your at it.

Exactly, and give him enough rope . .

Quote:

The only people voicing these "Frenchman immediately surrendering" xenophobic "jokes" are conditioned bigots brainwashed enough to ignore the more than 1.500.000 french soldiers KIA fighting the Germans for the last century alone, that the French actually won for them their American Revolution at Yorktown, etc. What's just sad is that they seem -as you point out- incredibly numerous, reflecting the sorry state of education and History knowledge in the USA...

Right on, xenophobia abounds in the U.S. because of ignorance, which has institutional status here, always has, for a complex set of off-topic reasons. More on topic, Apple and Silicon Valley in general seem to have never bothered much about antiquated details like national or cultural origins, instead aiming to serve all cultures everywhere, and not just for business reasons alone. I'm sure Steve Jobs is being very literal when he talks of changing the world. You need to cultivate a crew from around the world to do that. I think it's significant that Serlet and Jobs have worked together for 22 years.
  • Reply 90 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

+1 on this (not the last part however);

I hemmed and hawed when Avie left. But now, more than ever... one can revise history to really state "In 1997, on the brink of collapse, Apple paid NeXT to take over Apple."

That's about right when you think about it!
  • Reply 91 of 136
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So he learned English late, big deal.

I'm sure that my German has an American accent and my Irish is laughable at best, but they get the job done.

Accents make stuff COOLER. I will miss him because I liked listening to him speak!
  • Reply 92 of 136
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

However, the same can be said for many a Brit regarding American English!

I obviously speak and write American, but I'm a big fan of British English also. I like British sitcoms, especially older ones like Fawlty Towers and Black Adder.
  • Reply 93 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I obviously speak and write American, but I'm a big fan of British English also. I like British sitcoms, especially older ones like Fawlty Towers and Black Adder.

Two of the all time best for sure!
  • Reply 94 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Accents make stuff COOLER. I will miss him because I liked listening to him speak!

Made me jealous, my wife thought he sounded sooo sexy!
  • Reply 95 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Holy crap. What is with this jealousy speculation. Bertrand is a former colleague of mine at NeXT and Apple. The man oversaw the entire OS after Avi Tevanian departed and was second behind him at NeXT. This is not a jealousy bit with the iOS team as he had a major part in it's creation.

Grow up people.

Bertrand is the most warm, open and friendly person you could ever meet. If only the world of professional corporations were filled with Bertrand Serlet clones. Craig is a chip off the old block. He's the best person and professional to take his place. Both people are rare.
  • Reply 96 of 136
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think it's a shame some people take every company statement as "obvious PR".

The company I work for had the CFO leave a couple of months ago. He left because he wanted to find a CEO position, and our CEO is going nowhere so there is no chance of him moving up internally. The press attacked us claiming there must be something going on, whereas actually, he wanted to find a CEO position.

People are now doing the same with this announcement. I hope Serlet is going to pursue a science career.

Did your company issue a statement for why that CFO was leaving? Did he officially say "he wanted to find a CEO position, and our CEO is going nowhere so there is no chance of him moving up internally"? Or did he say something about "spending more time with his family", "pursuing other opportunities", etc?
  • Reply 97 of 136
    Quote:

There is no disputing OS X and iOS continue to borrow from each other and all to the benefit of both. Your points, if true, would lend credence to a new single head of the two departments and give some support to my theory on Scott becoming head and Bertrand gracefully moving on.

BTW I'd LOVE to see a fully fledged iOS emulator or even seamless integration on a Mac so I can run some of the apps I have. I realize some would not make sense but many could be controlled by a magic mouse and keyboard. The ability to continue entering data for example would be nice if you were sitting at a Mac when you wanted to do this, indeed the ability to cut and paste between the two would be also.

Actually Bertran is/was the head of both departments. The IOS engineers originally came out of the Core OS team and were actually managed as part of the same team for some time. Not sure if that is still the case. But the knowledge flows both ways in any case.
  • Reply 98 of 136
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I swear, if some of you "iOS is too restrictive, it'd better not migrate to the desktop" people were designing toasters, the customer would have to open the side panel, remove a resistor and put in another one and adjust the distance of the elements to the toast with a screwdriver if they wanted their toast a little browner one day.

Sounds like an iMac hardware designer.
  • Reply 99 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Holy crap. What is with this jealousy speculation. Bertrand is a former colleague of mine at NeXT and Apple. The man oversaw the entire OS after Avi Tevanian departed and was second behind him at NeXT. This is not a jealousy bit with the iOS team as he had a major part in it's creation.

Grow up people.

Bertrand is the most warm, open and friendly person you could ever meet. If only the world of professional corporations were filled with Bertrand Serlet clones. Craig is a chip off the old block. He's the best person and professional to take his place. Both people are rare.

Thanks for the draught of reality.

Gruber links to a funny video of Serlet on stage at WWDC talking about Windows Vista:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2...e_gdata_player

Probably a classic that everyone remembers, but I had missed it.
  • Reply 100 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Mercenary View Post

Actually Bertran is/was the head of both departments. The IOS engineers originally came out of the Core OS team and were actually managed as part of the same team for some time. Not sure if that is still the case. But the knowledge flows both ways in any case.

Good to know. Thanks. I see in later reporting that Craig Federighi is now head so seems I lost my 1$ betting Scott would head up both teams. However, Apple's OSs are in good hands.