Mac software chief Bertrand Serlet to depart Apple

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow415 View Post

I'm guessing it's because he worked with Steve for 22 years and had an incredible time developing products at both NeXT and Apple, but at this point, he wants to focus less on products and more on science.

Owned
  • Reply 122 of 136
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I also hope there is a subcutaneous chip in him that SJ can explode if he joins Microsoft ... KIDDING....

That's hilarious.

• Reply 123 of 136
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

If you can't understand someone's accent the problem isn't theirs it's yours.

You should tell Steve Jobs and Apple about your revolutionary theory, because he got it wrong when he claimed that Samsung said that sales were "quite small" in the most recent keynote, when in fact Samsung claims that they said "quite smooth".

For the record, I don't blame Steve Jobs for that, but according to your ingenious theory, the blame would be on him.

• Reply 124 of 136
    Quote:

Well to be honest my thoughts were more along the line of an inter departmental management struggle rather than trying to define the percentage change from iOS or OS X as they continue to borrow from each other. There may come a time when the two are headed by one person to ensure smooth cooperation and perhaps that is something to do with this. Just a wild guess but it has happened before at Apple in similar situations. Perhaps Scott Forstall's name will be mentioned as over all leader?

They are headed by one person, Bertrand Serlet and soon Craig Federighi. Apple is an intense place to work and becomes your whole life. At a certain point people just can't keep up the pace. The good ones recognize it and leave before they are run out. This sounds like something that has been in the works for some time and likely has nothing to do with IOS vs. Mac OS, which is the foundation for IOS.
  • Reply 125 of 136
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Agreed 'big deal' indeed. It's funny how arrogant English speaking people can be about English not being spoken how they perceive as correct. Just ask a cockney in London what they think of a Geordie from Newcastle Upon Tyne ..

I have lived in the US for 21 years and still have an English accent (I have no idea how I would change it ... faking a US one would seem ludicrous). Luckily for me my accent is actually liked by most here so I don't suffer the sort of comment you were responding to.

Absolutely. Here in NYC, early in my career I worked as a recording engineer and the owner of that studio loved the Brits so much, he faked an English accent (badly). He also hired a Brit to be head of sales.

The studio was in a town house and we were standing in front one day watching a film shoot (not one we were participating in). The assistant director came over and asked us to go inside. At first, the studio owner got offended and said he wasn't moving, so the AD simply said, "okay, just stand here and make like you're talking to each other", but when he said that, my boss heard the English accent. So he said, "oh, you're English?" "Yes". "OK, we'll go inside."
  • Reply 126 of 136
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Then why are Americans allowed to speak in public then?

It irritates me seeing subtitles on American TV for people who are speaking fluent English all because Americans have trouble understanding accents.

Don't be ridiculous. Those aren't subtitles, they're closed captions and they're intended for those with hearing impairments. They're still "subtitled" when the Americans are speaking, aren't they?
  • Reply 127 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Don't be ridiculous. Those aren't subtitles, they're closed captions and they're intended for those with hearing impairments. They're still "subtitled" when the Americans are speaking, aren't they?

No, not at all. I've seen shows where Irishmen are subtitled, even though their accent isn't nearly as thick as it could be. The Americans alongside them get nothing.

Just today, in fact.
  • Reply 128 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Mercenary View Post

They are headed by one person, Bertrand Serlet and soon Craig Federighi. Apple is an intense place to work and becomes your whole life. At a certain point people just can't keep up the pace. The good ones recognize it and leave before they are run out. This sounds like something that has been in the works for some time and likely has nothing to do with IOS vs. Mac OS, which is the foundation for IOS.

Intensity is relative. Working at NeXT was more intense than working at Apple. Work after either has been boring as hell which results in either doing your own thing or going back to Apple.

I never found a single day at Apple pushing my patience of work load to the max. What was intense was my divorce that was getting in the way of my work. That was intense.
  • Reply 129 of 136
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Very sad to see this man go. At least he is going into research and we may still see some of his work in future iOS releases.
  • Reply 130 of 136
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

it does get quite boring after a while, this bickering, but I guess it's the nature of the web and we have to make do with this, thanks for the props btw, appreciated.

pow pow pow

how hard and fast that quip came down

sorry

• Reply 131 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I obviously speak and write American, but I'm a big fan of British English also. I like British sitcoms, especially older ones like Fawlty Towers and Black Adder.

benny hill
  • Reply 132 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not at all. I've seen shows where Irishmen are subtitled, even though their accent isn't nearly as thick as it could be. The Americans alongside them get nothing.

Just today, in fact.

priceless dudes

simply priceless

• Reply 133 of 136
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am gutted, he was my favorite Apple employee next to Steve. And he is being replaced with a guy who demo'ed folders as one of the new features of 10.7. Folders.
  • Reply 134 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am gutted, he was my favorite Apple employee next to Steve. And he is being replaced with a guy who demo'ed folders as one of the new features of 10.7. Folders.

But they're pretty folders. Seriously, if you've not seen LaunchPad's folder view in the Lion Preview on a Cinema Display, take a look. It's probably the most gorgeous desktop UI element I've ever seen.

And so I don't get written off, yes, it's laughable to have demoed folders as a feature, but that's more of an overarching Apple thing than his choice. Apple really hasn't told us much at all about Lion.
  • Reply 135 of 136
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Maybe it was just English humor but I always heard that was an Italian joke ... you know, as in, what has 6 reverse gears and one forward .... ?

Completely out of content, but... First car I was driving (my dad's old car) could actually run the same speed forward and reverse... but it was Dutch, not Italian or French.

It was 1967 DAF 33 with weird variomatic transmission (ancestor of current CVT transmissions) and yeah, it could reach full speed of amazing 120kph in reverse

So I'm guessing that saying can be applied to many
  • Reply 136 of 136
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So he learned English late, big deal.

I'm sure that my German has an American accent and my Irish is laughable at best, but they get the job done.

It is somewhat more subtle than this. I don't know how is his accent, but I know as a fact that, apart from the British and American accents, there is the so-callled international-English spoken by almost all Europeans except the... French people. Of course there are always ethnic undertones, as you suggested previously, but in the case of the French this is so strong, widespread and standing out, that it warrants its own version, the French-English, as no one else pronounces English like that.

It seems that people who learned French as unique mother tongue and did not have sufficient contact with other languages at childhood, lose the ability to properly pronounce (international-)English, and other languages as well, like Greek. I know that there are exceptions but I have yet to come accros one of them in real life.

Personally I don't mind, but I can see native speakers (I am not one of them ) chuckling when hearing a French speaking English.