Mac software chief Bertrand Serlet to depart Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

There are not a lot of details but it sounds like he wants to shift to non company specific products. Like maybe a new open video codec/format for downloadable blu-ray quality files. Or other 'open' software for all to utilize.

He's had a good run and like Steve has probably been grooming his replacement for years. So I'm not particularly worried.

thats the reponse I was looking for, thanks for keeping the discussion up to good standards after the preceding idiocies in replies to that post of mine.
  • Reply 102 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey that sounds great, my hat off to you. I hope the year gives you the chance to be extra creative and productive. p.s. Oh and don't ever change, creative people rule ok.

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement...
  • Reply 103 of 136
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    @nvidia, we have very parallel paths, including the age. Good luck, it's a bit hard when you are not going so to speak mainstream, but it's rewarding as hell.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I've never understood the hangups some people have with "profanity". They act like their heads will explode if they hear or read certain words. Language is about expression, and sometimes the best way to express something is to use a word that some people consider "profane".

hear, hear, political correctness is the alibi for lack of innate tact and politeness and it's all about pretense.
  • Reply 104 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Thanks for the draught of reality.

Gruber links to a funny video of Serlet on stage at WWDC talking about Windows Vista:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2...e_gdata_player

Probably a classic that everyone remembers, but I had missed it.

Thanks for the post. Loved seeing that again. Oh, and I love his accent ... now I realize where Peter Sellers got his Clouseau!
  • Reply 105 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement...

Your post brought back memories . I did the same thing at the same age spending two years on the coast of the Med on the border of Spain and France.
  • Reply 106 of 136
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

2021-2030 - just trying not to be killed plus finding something to eat to keep from starving to death...

Call me Mr. Happy...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

You are more my kind of people. Did you by any chance listen to Steve Jobs Stanford Speech a few years back? He talked about the time for reflection, the "lazy moments".

I've read snippets, I should have a good listen sometime.
  • Reply 107 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I've never understood the hangups some people have with "profanity". They act like their heads will explode if they hear or read certain words. Language is about expression, and sometimes the best way to express something is to use a word that some people consider "profane".

There is a place for it, humor, exaggeration etc. but not in responding directly to a fellow blogger on a blog in a knee jerk reaction as happened on this thread at the start. It is all well and good to defend colorful speech ... until someone calls you a f*****g moron to your face as it were. IMHO blog etiquette is broken under such circustances. It never fails it seems that those that do that usually have the wrong end of the fucking stick anyway!
  • Reply 108 of 136
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    "I wonder if this is because of the demise of OS X in the face of iOS?"

The demise of OS X? Surely you jest!
  • Reply 109 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

"I wonder if this is because of the demise of OS X in the face of iOS?"

The demise of OS X? Surely you jest!

Read the whole thread before knee jerk response.
  • Reply 110 of 136
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

^ Because people don't read the f^#%ing articles anymore. That's why.

I didn't see his comment so I can only imagine. I put myapplelove on my ignore list because the postings are always not only useless but totally irrelevant.
  • Reply 111 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I didn't see his comment so I can only imagine. I put myapplelove on my ignore list because the postings are always not only useless but totally irrelevant.

That's a shame, if you read this entire thread you'd discover you are mistaken.
  • Reply 112 of 136
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Let's just hope this is actually the reason and not some massive inducement from RIM, Samsung or Mattel (I keep wondering why they don't have an Android clone too) or something.

Seriously though, I wonder if this is because of the demise of OS X in the face of iOS?

The transition from Mac OS 9 to OS X involved the eventual demise of the original Mac OS. Specifically it was the OS from NeXT replacing the OS from Apple. Nothing like that is involved today. Both OS X and iOS are derived from the same Darwin core with AppKit and UIKit providing user interface by mouse/keyboard vs multitouch. All the other libraries are shared (that is admittedly a slight simplification).

In fact, the pedigree of iOS is largely responsible for the success of its devices. A "real" computer OS with decades of refinement rather than an awful kludge that was "built to last a lunchtime". It also accounts for the explosive success and growth of the AppStore. There were already thousands of OS X developers who were well acquainted with most of the APIs and tools.

Now that Apple has opened an AppStore for the Mac there is likely to be an explosion of specific OS X developer activity because developers attracted by iOS finding another opportunity for newly acquired skills. At this point one could only describe Mac OS X as being ascendant.
  • Reply 113 of 136
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Mr. Serlet has had a distinguished career at NeXT and Apple. With all respect to the design and engineering teams, I have always viewed the OS guys as the glue that held it all together.
  • Reply 114 of 136
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Mr. Serlet has had a distinguished career at NeXT and Apple. With all respect to the design and engineering teams, I have always viewed the OS guys as the glue that held it all together.

Hooray, more sanity. Who said earlier that it was NeXT (software) that took over Apple (hardware)?

edit: It was TheOtherGeoff, above, this page.
  • Reply 115 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

The transition from Mac OS 9 to OS X involved the eventual demise of the original Mac OS. Specifically it was the OS from NeXT replacing the OS from Apple. Nothing like that is involved today. Both OS X and iOS are derived from the same Darwin core with AppKit and UIKit providing user interface by mouse/keyboard vs multitouch. All the other libraries are shared (that is admittedly a slight simplification).

In fact, the pedigree of iOS is largely responsible for the success of its devices. A "real" computer OS with decades of refinement rather than an awful kludge that was "built to last a lunchtime". It also accounts for the explosive success and growth of the AppStore. There were already thousands of OS X developers who were well acquainted with most of the APIs and tools.

Now that Apple has opened an AppStore for the Mac there is likely to be an explosion of specific OS X developer activity because developers attracted by iOS finding another opportunity for newly acquired skills. At this point one could only describe Mac OS X as being ascendant.

This too.
  • Reply 116 of 136
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Actually, it is a big deal.

I'm not talking about his grammar. I'm saying he's difficult to understand. When your job is public speaking to a primarily english-speaking audience, your top priority is being able to communicate your ideas clearly in that language. Anyone that's listened to him knows that his diction is about as good as Latka from Taxi.

It's like when colleges allow foreign T/A's to teach who barely speak English. How are you supposed to learn about the topic they're teaching if you can't understand them?

Quote:

Agreed 'big deal' indeed. It's funny how arrogant English speaking people can be about English not being spoken how they perceive as correct. Just ask a cockney in London what they think of a Geordie from Newcastle Upon Tyne ..

I have lived in the US for 21 years and still have an English accent (I have no idea how I would change it ... faking a US one would seem ludicrous). Luckily for me my accent is actually liked by most here so I don't suffer the sort of comment you were responding to.

• Reply 117 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I do agree with the poster who mentioned his accent. If somebody can not speak proper English or if they have a very thick accent, then they should not be giving public presentations, as language and delivery is key. I'm sure that he would have been great at demonstrating at a Mac Paris expo, but in the English speaking world, not so much.

Then why are Americans allowed to speak in public then?

If you can't understand someone's accent the problem isn't theirs it's yours.

It irritates me seeing subtitles on American TV for people who are speaking fluent English all because Americans have trouble understanding accents.

Why is this not difficult for the rest of the world? I have no problems listening to Serlet and find him to be quite refreshing... him and Ive.
  • Reply 118 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's maybe because people feel compelled to embarrass themselves by posting ****ing idiocies on what others have to say.

FYI because I have an academic career, it's understandable to ask how come someone with an established business career is aiming to make an academic leap, given that it's usually quite difficult to move from one domain to the other (esp. from business to academia). But of course this all flies over your head...

Funny how when you think science & research you think academia, there are lots of corporations that also do science & research.

It's also interesting that you assumed the stated reasons for his leaving were false. Stating this belief would support your claims that what you said wasn't meant to be literal as it implies you naturally assume statements to be non-literal. You didn't take Bertrand literally & therefor you made a statement we weren't supposed to take literally...I think I got it.
  • Reply 119 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Actually, it is a big deal.

I'm not talking about his grammar. I'm saying he's difficult to understand. When your job is public speaking to a primarily english-speaking audience, your top priority is being able to communicate your ideas clearly in that language. Anyone that's listened to him knows that his diction is about as good as Latka from Taxi.

It's like when colleges allow foreign T/A's to teach who barely speak English. How are you supposed to learn about the topic they're teaching if you can't understand them?

You titled this post "arrogance," possibly referring to yourself? First, his job was not about public speaking, was it . . .

Second, in order for an American (I'm one too) to make a complaint like this without sounding parochial, rude and . . . arrogant, he needs to qualify it with 'I have a terrible ear for language and have never paid any attention to other ways of speaking, like Americans generally, so please forgive my . . ." etc. Then maybe you can break the rules of civility.

Look at it another way: Romance languages have a great deal of oral intensity -- they put a lot of effort into pronounciation -- especially French. American English, but not so much British English, is just the opposite -- slurred, slovenly pronounciation. So it's very difficult to Americans to learn to speak French, and vice versa for French to flatten everything to suit the undiscriminating ear of Americans.
  • Reply 120 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Then why are Americans allowed to speak in public then?

If you can't understand someone's accent the problem isn't theirs it's yours.

It irritates me seeing subtitles on American TV for people who are speaking fluent English all because Americans have trouble understanding accents.

Why is this not difficult for the rest of the world? I have no problems listening to Serlet and find him to be quite refreshing... him and Ive.

Hah, good one.