Inside Mac OS X 10.7: Apple to strip most Aqua gloss

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

It looks so dull and utilitarian now. Like Windows 2000.

I was thinking the same thing. This doesn't excite me in the least. It looks completely boring, uninspired, and completely off-putting. They may as well force everyone to have a completely gray desktop too and be done with it. It's like they are all coding for those piece of crap CRT monitors. What's the point in having a high definition display if everything is washed out, bland, boring, and uninspiring? When did Apple decide to look so boring? Steve ought to get his eyes checked, because I have yet to see an image of Lion that's at all inspiring. Most will cite iCal as proof this isn't the case, but one app out of the whole thing isn't an effective argument. The rectangle buttons look more like OS 9 buttons than Apple OS X buttons. So much for thinking different. I've been with Apple since System 7, and Lion is just plain insulting.
  • Reply 42 of 180
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Doesn't bother me too much, but I've always been as fan of bland color schemes.
  • Reply 43 of 180
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Having distinct looks is a good thing, I agree, but faux leather, wood, chrome and felt? Yikes!

Agreed. The leather, torn pages, and wood have no place in computer GUI.

Likewise, I love my BMW, but fake wood grain accents are just tacky. Didn't wood on coaches go out of style somewhere around the Elizabethan era? You certainly don't see them on Ferrari.

But you know they do focus groups on this stuff and the general population apparently still thinks that fake crap looks deluxe.
  • Reply 44 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Agreed. The leather, torn pages, and wood have no place in computer GUI.

Likewise, I love my BMW, but fake wood grain accents are just tacky. Didn't wood on coaches go out of style somewhere around the Elizabethan era? You certainly don't see them on Ferrari.

But you know they do focus groups on this stuff and the general population apparently still thinks that fake crap looks deluxe.

So we're left with bland and boring gray crap instead? I remember those days. I started using Macs with System 7. There's no way that I see Lion as a step forward. The "gloss" is what makes the Apple OS so noticeably different. Lion seems to be striving toward mediocrity. It doesn't even look appealing on an HD screen. If they don't get their act together and make it look at least as good as Snow Leopard, it'll be the first OS I refuse to upgrade to since I started. Not only to I demand functionality, I demand that it not look like ass. Lion fails to inspire me, and that ought to worry them when they have Mac loyalists hating their designs.
  • Reply 45 of 180
    My only concern is what if I don't know there is an option to scroll down if the blue bar isn't there in the first place?
  • Reply 46 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

You are the kind of guy who also like faux-wood application skins, huh?

You are the kind of guy that prefers all gray and boring? Steve said we'd want to lick the screen. From what I've seen so far, I don't eve want to look at the UI. It's just not at all appealing. It's like the only color they have to work with is gray. That may have been acceptable prior to HD screens, but these days, it's like we're being forced to be colorblind. The world is full of color, and Mac OS X used to be. Now it's gray upon gray upon gray. Someone ought to go paint a lion gray and give it to Steve.
  • Reply 47 of 180
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

It appears when you mouse over the region.

Which is about the worst UI design you can have! Hm, is that list of font sizes the entire list? Or are there more sizes that I just can't see because the list is too long to fit in the window? What used to be a quick glance to learn so much info about your list, document, etc (such as how long it is, where you are in the list, and how much is remaining) now requires that I reach for my mouse and move it over to the region. So stupid and inefficient. And it doesn't even save you any space. You still need the space in the UI for the scroll bar to appear (see all that white space to the right of the list of font sizes in that screenshot?). I look at that 2nd font window screen shot and it tells me the visible list of font sizes is the entire list, when really it's not.

And how are you even supposed to know there is a control widget there in the first place if you have to mouse over it? It's like the silly easter eggs in 1990's web pages that made you slowly move your mouse around the web page to see if the pointer turned into a hand over any parts of the page to reveal a hidden link.

So they've hidden useful information, make you do more work to get to it and even to know it's there in the first place, for absolutely no benefit. And this is progress?

On a tiny screen, where you can design the scroll bar to overlap the content and then hide when not in use, the trade-off is worth it to gain back those precious few pixels. But on a regular (ie, big) computer screen, it's not a good trade-off. Even on small screens it's not always good. I dislike how even my iPod nano (previous generation) hides the scroll bar when you aren't scrolling. Some of my playlists are quite long and unless I move the scroll wheel to make the bar appear, I can't see where I am in the list of songs.
  • Reply 48 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

My only concern is what if I don't know there is an option to scroll down if the blue bar isn't there in the first place?

Apple is making it's push into gaming...this one is called "Find the Hidden UI Widget"

Next will be "Guess the Menu Command" where they will hide all menu text until you actually hover you mouse over the menu item to reveal the menu command. After all, why would you want those menus obscuring your content when all you really need to see is the one menu item your cursor is currently over. (Think of those memory card games where you try to find matching cards.)
  • Reply 49 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

So we're left with bland and boring gray crap instead? I remember those days. I started using Macs with System 7. There's no way that I see Lion as a step forward. The "gloss" is what makes the Apple OS so noticeably different. Lion seems to be striving toward mediocrity. It doesn't even look appealing on an HD screen. If they don't get their act together and make it look at least as good as Snow Leopard, it'll be the first OS I refuse to upgrade to since I started. Not only to I demand functionality, I demand that it not look like ass. Lion fails to inspire me, and that ought to worry them when they have Mac loyalists hating their designs.

People are by nature resistant to change. You might love it once you get used t it. You are not required to upgrade so wait and see, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 50 of 180
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Aqua and the Dock are the reason I switched from Windows to Mac in the first place. Now with Aqua gone, it's going to look boring like Windows.

Aqua gel is nolonger magical.
  • Reply 51 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Which is about the worst UI design you can have! Hm, is that list of font sizes the entire list? Or are there more sizes that I just can't see because the list is too long to fit in the window?.

The new design style assumes that the user is not as naive as they were in the 80s-90s. You know you have lots of fonts. Just hover and the scroll bars appear.
  • Reply 52 of 180
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Getting closer to Windows 95 every year...
  • Reply 53 of 180
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

You are the kind of guy that prefers all gray and boring? Steve said we'd want to lick the screen. From what I've seen so far, I don't eve want to look at the UI. It's just not at all appealing. It's like the only color they have to work with is gray. That may have been acceptable prior to HD screens, but these days, it's like we're being forced to be colorblind. The world is full of color, and Mac OS X used to be. Now it's gray upon gray upon gray. Someone ought to go paint a lion gray and give it to Steve.

I beg to differ. I think Lion looks elegant and sophisticated. Grays with small dabs of color works well on a GUI imo. The gloss and color is tacky. Just like in a car with too many chrome buttons. Understated is good. In the 80's, or was it 90's ski gear was all shocking pinks and yellows. It loOked super cool. Apparently. Slowly the colors left and it turned to black, greys and shades of khaki. Now kids are returning to fluorescent colors. It swings like a pendulum. But I like grays. I don't find them drab. And a tiny bit of color really stands out.
  • Reply 54 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Getting closer to Windows 95 every year...

Windows 95 was very colorful. Ugly but full of color.
  • Reply 55 of 180
    samvsamv Posts: 7member
    Personally, I think square corner buttons are a step backwards... they are too similar to text fields. When you glance at the screen the user should be able to quickly and easily distinguish between buttons and text fields.
  • Reply 56 of 180
    Quote:

The new design style assumes that the user is not as naive as they were in the 80s-90s. You know you have lots of fonts. Just hover and the scroll bars appear.

Yes. As the end user becomes more sophisticated so the rules change. Look at the visual language of the movies. An audience I the 50's would not understand what they were looking at as the camera flies about and depict impossible angles. The audience has become far more visually educated and so the cinema language has totally changed.
  • Reply 57 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samv View Post

Personally, I think square corner buttons are a step backwards... they are too similar to text fields. When you glance at the screen the user should be able to quickly and easily distinguish between buttons and text fields.

Perhaps making an appointment with an optometrist would be a prudent decision.
  • Reply 58 of 180
    I like the minimalist look.

Aqua is outdated and it's time to go. Nobody uses the aqua look anymore anyways.

When mobileme first came out... I was blown away by how nice the interface looked and I was hoping that Apple would do something similar for the next OS and they DID.

I'm liking it very much.

Maybe they should put a third theme in the drop-down menu for classic Aqua for people who are afraid of change.
  • Reply 59 of 180
    Quote:

Are you seriously incapable of extrapolating the font list example to other situations? Do you know exactly how long every document, PDF, web page you will ever open is? How about where you are in a zoomed in image or large spreadsheet? Am I in the upper-left or lower-right corner of the picture? Now I'll have to stop my editing work and move the mouse over to the edge of the screen so the scroll bars appear so I can find out where I am.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes. As the end user becomes more sophisticated so the rules change. Look at the visual language of the movies. An audience I the 50's would not understand what they were looking at as the camera flies about and depict impossible angles. The audience has become far more visually educated and so the cinema language has totally changed.

Completely irrelevant. You aren't trying to interact with, manipulate, and make selections of widgets during a movie! If the director wants you to see something you don't have to find it and select it, he'll reveal it for you while you sit back and enjoy the ride.