German court bars Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from sale in Europe in Apple suit

Comments

• Reply 41 of 179
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

You know what the remote sucks, the configuration menu sucks, why can't these boneheads design a half decent interface.

I have a Sammy HDTV too and I agree. The TV itself is okay, but the remote and UI are uninspired and clunky. I guess it's just that TV makers have a hardware mindset. The software and user control side is just a means to an end. Ease of use and innovation are in Apple's DNA.
  • Reply 42 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It certainly is a key victory. Whether it will stand in the next 4 weeks is a different question. But the fact that this happened at all is significant. I was surprised.

Along with the decision in Australia, another temporary one, of course, this will influence the ITc here, as these decisions always do.

Well, for apple it would be better that the ITC does not consider the "Einstweilige Verfügung" issued by a regional court in germany. Those are handing them out freely anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 179
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I would just love to be a fly on the wall at the next Samsung board meeting. They are all probably going to kill themselves. Serves them right...

If they do, I wonder how. Seppuku never really caught on in Korea.
  • Reply 44 of 179
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member
    I'm just cracking up, laughing hysterically at how Samsung got into this mess. First Australia, now Europe. Even better yet will be the phantards soiling their pants, and figuring out a way to spin this story that Apple is evil and Samsung is in the right.

"WTF?? How man ways can one make a rectangular tablet??"

Answer: There were plenty of ways for the past 20+ years before Apple came into the market. Suddenly the only way is the way Apple does it??

Say "buh-bye" Samsung!
  • Reply 45 of 179
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stupidhero View Post

Well, for apple it would be better that the ITC does not consider the "Einstweilige Verfügung" issued by a regional court in germany. Those are handing them out freely anyway.

It depends. No one expects Apple to win everything, and some losses are more important than others.
  • Reply 46 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

About 20 mins ago AAPL passed XOM's market cap to become the world's largest company by that measure -- we'll have to wait and see where the market closes, though!
  • Reply 47 of 179
    Here's the Fosspatents take on the issue:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...ranted-by.html
  • Reply 48 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

About 20 mins ago AAPL passed XOM's market cap to become the world's largest company by that measure -- we'll have to wait and see where the market closes, though!

Too bad this is in a dropping market rather than in a rising one. Takes some of the glow off.
  • Reply 49 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm just cracking up, laughing hysterically at how Samsung got into this mess. First Australia, now Europe. Even better yet will be the phantards soiling their pants, and figuring out a way to spin this story that Apple is evil and Samsung is in the right.

"WTF?? How man ways can one make a rectangular tablet??"

Answer: There were plenty of ways for the past 20+ years before Apple came into the market. Suddenly the only way is the way Apple does it??

Say "buh-bye" Samsung!

I wouldn't be surprised if fandroids are talking about how Apple is abusing the legal system to squelch innovation/competition and bla bla bla...

Thing is, the original iPad was what, 7-8 years in development? So, of course Apple's gonna fight to defend their investment (time/money/sweat/tears) against those who think they can just crank something out in a year or two and ride the coattails of Apple's innovation.
  • Reply 50 of 179
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

It's a poor area, not too far from where my daughters' dorm is. The police shot someone, who died, and that's what the riots are about, so it isn't a a funny thing.

We Brits tend to find dark humour in things like this (see Cloudgazers comment), so please excuse me if I make my own decisions of what I want to joke about independent of your opinions.

For clarity, the police shot a man who pulled a gun on them, and he died.
  • Reply 51 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Obviously, either the quality of their work has changed or Apple's components for the MBA and others - being largely from Samsung - are crap.

Which do you suppose it is?

Since I was talking about Samsung's consumer electronics then I'm not sure. Maybe its consumer goods are still shit but they are able to build very good electronic components for others.

Which do you suppose it is?
  • Reply 52 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I was gonna make a flip comment about this, but it turns out it's serious business. My local burrito place is closed early, my local sushi place is closed early even my local pizza place closed early. I may have to cook!

I'm shocked, shocked and appalled.

And hungry.
  • Reply 53 of 179
    hhphhp Posts: 5member
    US based Apple still not treated fairly in USA.. Shame ITC team, US
  • Reply 54 of 179
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

And hungry.

Fortunately M&S still preserve the Blitz spirit - presumably because they're confident that even amidst rioting no true Englishman would raise a brick to an M&S window.
  • Reply 55 of 179
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Back in the eighties, early nineties, Samsung products were so bad that they were almost at the Goldstar level. I've never been able to look at their products since that time.

How old are you?
  • Reply 56 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Too bad this is in a dropping market rather than in a rising one. Takes some of the glow off.

It might take the glow off but it does reflect well on Apple. Since tech stocks traditionally rise and fall at excess in accordance with the markets this is more likely to hold and increase its distance quickly once the markets rebound.
  • Reply 57 of 179
    Google & Samsung: Patents? Patents? We don't need [to abide by] no stinkin' Patents...
  • Reply 58 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

I just spent an hour testing out the Galaxy 10.1 for a client project.

If you like smooth scrolling, extended battery life and the ability to read the NY times in portrait mode, get the iPad.

If you want an expensive iPad copy with a jerky, redundant interface, Europeans will have to travel to the US.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a blatantly bad copy of the iPad. If I had never seen the iPad before I would think that the 10.1 is an amazing device with a horribly confusing interface. If you are not tech savvy, the Galaxy tab is not user friendly and you will need help. lame.

I just love how the bottom icon tray superimposes itself over the home screen apps. I love how there are 3 other ways to get to some variation of an app launcher. It is everything they teach you not to do in human factor training.

The way that the scrolling lists bounce at the bottom and the multitouch scrolling will need to be removed from android. I had not expected the copying to be so blatant down to fit and finish details.

I've been using the Xoom a lot lately (testing it out etc.), and you could simply replace "Galaxy Tab" with "Xoom" in this post and it would work as a review of that.
  • Reply 59 of 179
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 60 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

I just spent an hour testing out the Galaxy 10.1 for a client project.

If you like smooth scrolling, extended battery life and the ability to read the NY times in portrait mode, get the iPad.

If you want an expensive iPad copy with a jerky, redundant interface, Europeans will have to travel to the US.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a blatantly bad copy of the iPad. If I had never seen the iPad before I would think that the 10.1 is an amazing device with a horribly confusing interface. If you are not tech savvy, the Galaxy tab is not user friendly and you will need help. lame.

I just love how the bottom icon tray superimposes itself over the home screen apps. I love how there are 3 other ways to get to some variation of an app launcher. It is everything they teach you not to do in human factor training.

The way that the scrolling lists bounce at the bottom and the multitouch scrolling will need to be removed from android. I had not expected the copying to be so blatant down to fit and finish details.

Thanks for sharing that.

The thing that I don't understand is why seemingly everyone in the tech blogosphere assumes that Android will beat iPad in the tablet race. Was that just Apple haters projecting their hopes and dreams of a non-Apple future, like Michael Dell? Why is everyone so bullish on Android tablets? None have executed as well as iPad. Recall that before the iPad shipped, a lot of people thought the iPad would FAIL MISERABLY. Not me, but I knew a lot of people who dismissed it as a "giant iPod Touch". Why the optimism about Android? I mean, while they're at it, why not be optimistic about the RIM Playbook too? Or the HP TouchPad?