Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It is kind of funny watching all this unfold, as Apple chugs along and basically competing against themselves at this point in the game. It is basically their game to loose, everyone else is fighting it out for what is left and no one seems to know what to do to makes themselves successful. Just because a company can sell a product and turn somewhat of a profit does not mean success, since at some point they will become irrelevant and die, if you compare them to Apple.

Even if one of these companies can some how figure out how to pull all the pieces together, it is too late, it is going to be hard for them to get any mind share with content owners, software developers and finally the consumer. In spite of the fact that people should not let their past purchases decisions dictate future one most people ignore this and keep buying what they always buy unless something fundamentally changes forcing a change.

Face it anyone who had bought an Apple iProduct they have large investment they are not going to give up just because another company came out with a Me Too product. Face Apple has people locked in at this point.
  • Reply 42 of 145
    I hereby nominate this:

Apple Insider - THREAD OF THE YEAR
  • Reply 42 of 145
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

If Samsung were to buy WebOS they'd probably do it for patents. They don't need another (failed) OS. Palm has been building PDAs for a long time so I presume they have a good portfolio of related patents that could be used to defend against Apple.

You think HP would sell the patents along with the OS? Any company in the mobile space would love to get their hands on those patents, but I don't think HP is going make it a bundle deal.
  • Reply 44 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.

The thing is, WebOS is actually a great OS, far better than Android in conception and execution. And Samsung, despite their complete lack of any moral sense, is a smart successful company that knows how to execute.

WebOS for Palm was a beyond last ditch effort when the clock had *already* struck midnight on them. WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

Samsung could actually succeed here.

agreed. Would be interesting to see if it worked in any case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, the "walled garden" all the basement nerds and tech writers have been screaming about for years turns out to be the correct business model after all. So to compete you have to copy Apple's business model and call it competition.

Well, it seems to have worked very well Android without the "walled garden" hasn't it. Doh!

I'm sorry if my view that having several vendors with a could good platforms to keep innovation, competition, rivalry feeding us consumers awesome products every year ruffles some feathers.
  • Reply 45 of 145
    WebOS vs. Mac OS X ... really ? ....... REALLY??
  • Reply 46 of 145
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

If Samsung were to buy WebOS they'd probably do it for patents. They don't need another (failed) OS. Palm has been building PDAs for a long time so I presume they have a good portfolio of related patents that could be used to defend against Apple.

I think it's safe to say palm has some great patents. Remember, Palm actually created a work around to get their devices to sync with iTunes, Apple made some noise about protecting their IP but they didn't do anything. If samsung were buying Palm, it would most likely be for these. Bada is basically touchwiz without android, so most of the lawsuits Apple is bringing against touchwiz android devices can be brought against Bada devices.

Which brings up the point of why people who LIKE webOS shouldn't want Samsung to have it: Touchwiz WebOS devices.
  • Reply 47 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Like??

Err all of them, apart from a few from WP7. I don't think anyone can argue that iOS5 has 1 origional feature.
  • Reply 48 of 145
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Rim makes more sense for WebOS than Samsung.

1. They NEED an OS. The whole tablet that won't work without out phone, and new phones that still have an ancient approach to the web are embarrassing for (or because of?) a once "cutting edge" company with TWO (count 'em) CEO's...
    Of course integrating that with their approach to corporate messaging, which was their whole business model, might not work at all. Unless they bring over the WebOS guy and have THREE CEO's. Yeah. That's the ticket......
    2. WebOS would be a wedge and patent hedge for Samsung and probably not go anywhere under their tutelage. They've shown little ability to get promised software bits out for their own products, and WebOS is a whole 'nother animal. So it would just languish there like Amiga did as it got passed around.

I tried to pick up a TouchPad for $99 - it did enough well enough to be useful for me - but got cancelled out by a company that oversold its inventory. Meanwhile, seeing the markups being applied on eBay, I checked and WebOS has neither a DropBox orr SugarSync client. It really is quite isolated.

However, those who scarfed up a bunch of TP's are doing quite well - doubling their money and more in every active auction. So there's still a faint hope, certainly a demand.

Lastly, though, HP still seems to have some kind of plans for WebOS as an enabling technology elsewhere in their business. Printers keep being referenced well after the hardware got the kibosh. Not sure what they're (still?) so excited about here....

The only reason for the demand is because they are being sold for a fraction of what they cost HP to make. The TP is a dead product HP is selling the inventory and there are no more being made. THE TP HAS NO FUTURE.
  • Reply 49 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

WebOS vs. Mac OS X ... really ? ....... REALLY??

yeah that's pretty bonehead for sure.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Yes and no. The UI is great, and that's about as far as it goes...the underlying OS is slow, the version of Webkit the browser is using dates back to late 2009...it needs a lot of work under the hood.

My real disappointment is how HP repeated all the mistakes Palm made (although Palm was on life support), and then 16 months after the fact, they crunch the numbers and figure that they want to be like IBM.

I say this as a Pre+ user, and will be getting my 32 GB TP today (for $150 it's a great deal, but at iPad prices, no one really wanted it, and it couldn't complete even with Honeycomb word of mouth).

As a Pre user you probably have better insight into the OS than I do so I'm sure you're right.

When I said it was better than Android I was thinking more in the abstract and not from the point of view of daily use. It's far more open than Android (the famous "open" OS), it's based on free open technology and it's a beautiful design with great attention to detail and usability just as iOS is.

Android on the other hand is just a mess of conflicting details and UI's, half of it is stolen, only part of it is open source, the underlying reasons for it's existence are to help the distributors and sellers of mobile contracts and advertisements instead of the user, etc. etc.

From what I've heard a lot of the tech community feels this way about WebOS (that it "should" be the competition to iOS instead of Android), but WebOS has been bungled so much that it's hard to tell if it could be fantastic or if it's something that just looks good but ultimately isn't.
  • Reply 51 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You think HP would sell the patents along with the OS? Any company in the mobile space would love to get their hands on those patents, but I don't think HP is going make it a bundle deal.

HP could easily include a license to the patents in the sale.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

The only reason for the demand is because they are being sold for a fraction of what they cost HP to make. The TP is a dead product HP is selling the inventory and there are no more being made. THE TP HAS NO FUTURE.

Correction - HP is ALLEGEDLY selling the inventory. So far, I haven't seen any signs that they're actually shipping product. Their chat line told me today that the order status web page is broken and has been since Aug 23. WTF? Has ANYONE actually received their Touchpads from HP?

Here's the summary of how HP handles customer support:

"I placed two orders with you over a week ago and am not receiving information on the status. The online status is saying the same thing that it has said for 8 days - processing. I received an email 4 days ago stating that I would get a confirmation within 3 days - and that has not happened. I have tried your 800 number twice. The first time I was online for over an hour before I gave up. I am currently trying it again - but I've been on hold 2 hours and no one has answered. I tried sending an email, but I have not received any response after 3 days. I've tried your online chat - and different representatives give me very different answers."

HP - epic fail.
  • Reply 52 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Like??

• Reply 53 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

err all of them, apart from a few from wp7. I don't think anyone can argue that ios5 has 1 origional feature.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

(capsblocker)
  • Reply 54 of 145
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

lol that's hilarious. then how do you explain iOS5 being filled with Android features?

I think Apple fell asleep at the wheel and is now playing catchup. They may sell the most phones, but Android as a platform is kicking iOS's butt.

Is that right numb nuts? I love Android losers. They lie. They're stupid. Thanks for the chuckles.

I think . . .ha, ha, ! You are so special.
  • Reply 55 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Why is it that people seem to forget that the "new" notifications in iOS5 are from someone who use to have the same notifications on cydia BEFORE android had its OMG INNOVATIVE notifications?
  • Reply 56 of 145
    I am sure that will workout as well for Samsung as it did for Palm and HP..... Fools.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

...BEFORE android...

Any proof?
  • Reply 58 of 145
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

HP could easily include a license to the patents in the sale.

Obviously they would. But having a license to the patents and owning the patents are two very, very different things.
  • Reply 59 of 145
    It would be a mistake for Samsung to buy WebOS because they can not maintain it and develop and improve it. It takes a special breed of people to develop successful Operating Systems and Samsung does not have these people.

Microsoft, Apple, IBM , HP all have such people. Linux uses resources from IBM, Red Hat etc... Google is not an OS developer either that's why Android is kinda lump sided even though they illegally used Java.

It would be better for Samsung to license WebOS and let HP develop it and create an ecosystem for it. They would not be sued if they license WebOS from HP like they are with Android.

HP would have to sell WebOS along with the patents behind it otherwise the new owner would get nailed with lawsuits.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again whilst expecting different results.

HOWEVER, should Samsung make a 8.53" tablet, they might have something. Or a 10.65".