Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an effort to more directly compete with Apple's integrated hardware-software approach, Samsung is rumored to be interested in buying webOS from Hewlett-Packard.

Earlier this month, HP announced it plans to spin off its PC business, and will also scrap the webOS software that powered devices like the Palm Pre and TouchPad. Samsung was initially rumored to be a candidate to buy HP's PC business, but the company denied those reports.

However, a new report from DigiTimes on Monday claims that while Samsung is not interested in HP's PC business, it is allegedly considering a purchase of the webOS software originally developed by Palm. Both HP and Samsung declined to comment.

"The sources noted that the acquisition of HP's PC business, which has a rather low gross margin, may turn out to hurt Samsung's panel and DRAM businesses that have rather high gross margins, therefore HP's webOS may be the target that Samsung has the most interest in," the report said.

The potential move is seen as a way to counter Apple's marriage of software and hardware, found in both iOS devices like the iPhone, as well as the company's Mac lineup powered by OS X. But a purchase of webOS is also viewed as a way for Samsung to push back against Google.

Earlier this month, Google announced it will acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion. The deal gives Google access to Motorola's extensive patent portfolio, but also puts the search giant into the hardware business, as Motorola is a significant manufacturer of Android-powered devices.

Samsung, too, makes devices powered by Android, and the company may see Google's purchase of Motorola as a threat. Because of that, earlier this month it was claimed that Samsung is looking to strengthen Bada, its own smartphone operating system, to differentiate its products.

HP acquired Palm, along with webOS, in 2010 for $1.2 billion. The company initially planned to add webOS to Windows PCs, but those ambitious plans were scrapped this month, when the company announced it will instead focus on higher margin software and services.

Based on Monday's rumor, Samsung could pick up where HP left off, powering not only its smartphones and tablets with webOS, but also using the software to augment and differentiate its Windows-based PC business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    GOOD! I love this. Hope it happens.

Palm: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

HP: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

Samsung: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're..."
  • Reply 2 of 145
    yeah we sure as hell wouldn't want competition now would we.
  • Reply 3 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I thought Bada was evolving nicely. I'd much rather see RiM buy WebOS so they can get a decent smartphone and tablet OS for a chance at a future.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought Bada was evolving nicely. I'd much rather see RiM buy WebOS so they can get a decent smartphone and tablet OS for a chance at a future.

Which makes me think that this rumour is bs. Wouldn't Samsung's money be better spent improving Bada.

RIM is a much better candidate imo.
  • Reply 5 of 145
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    It's just too late.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

yeah we sure as hell wouldn't want competition now would we.

LOL BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I'M IMPLYING.

• Reply 7 of 145
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    It seems everyone wants to copy Apple's integrated approach. Apple's philosophy is called "Beautiful Software in a Beautiful Box." But i doubt any of the competitors would have beautiful software or box.
  • Reply 8 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an effort to more directly compete with Apple's integrated hardware-software approach, Samsung is rumored to be interested in buying webOS from Hewlett-Packard.

Compete, rather than copy. I like that idea.
  • Reply 9 of 145
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    For the record H-P never stated they were scrapping webOS software, only webOS hardware, so the article as written is inaccurate.

They have always stated that they planned to continue supporting the OS. Whether they live up to this promise is another question of course, especially as H-P seem to be on a path to self-destruction right now.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

GOOD! I love this . . . .

Samsung: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to… crap, we're..."

Tallest Skill, are you trying to get our hopes up?

Someone somewhere speculated that Apple may want to buy WebOS to squash it. Doubt it. Samsung's continued forage in the pad market is probable, and Google as a trusted friend compliant with . . . well, with honour an all that gushy stuff may be speculation, too?

Apple doesn't need the competition to keep a head of their game, it's all planned out, but chuckles are needed at the Apple pub on Friday nights, so long live WebOS and Samsung and Google and Microsoft.

What Steve really wants, now that he has proven his point and changed the world, is for companies to grow up and stop taking the lazy way out. There is that ding in the universe he wants to make.
  • Reply 11 of 145
    Bada is a replacement for Samsung's proprietary OS that is meant to run on the low end devices. Not on the overpowered devices that run Android.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Rim makes more sense for WebOS than Samsung.

1. They NEED an OS. The whole tablet that won't work without out phone, and new phones that still have an ancient approach to the web are embarrassing for (or because of?) a once "cutting edge" company with TWO (count 'em) CEO's...
    Of course integrating that with their approach to corporate messaging, which was their whole business model, might not work at all. Unless they bring over the WebOS guy and have THREE CEO's. Yeah. That's the ticket......
    2. WebOS would be a wedge and patent hedge for Samsung and probably not go anywhere under their tutelage. They've shown little ability to get promised software bits out for their own products, and WebOS is a whole 'nother animal. So it would just languish there like Amiga did as it got passed around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's just too late.

I tried to pick up a TouchPad for $99 - it did enough well enough to be useful for me - but got cancelled out by a company that oversold its inventory. Meanwhile, seeing the markups being applied on eBay, I checked and WebOS has neither a DropBox orr SugarSync client. It really is quite isolated.

However, those who scarfed up a bunch of TP's are doing quite well - doubling their money and more in every active auction. So there's still a faint hope, certainly a demand.

Lastly, though, HP still seems to have some kind of plans for WebOS as an enabling technology elsewhere in their business. Printers keep being referenced well after the hardware got the kibosh. Not sure what they're (still?) so excited about here....
  • Reply 13 of 145
    Quote:

LOL BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I'M IMPLYING.

Yes it did come across that way

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Which makes me think that this rumour is bs. Wouldn't Samsung's money be better spent improving Bada.

RIM is a much better candidate imo.

I think QNX is a great OS. But I don't know that the OS is so much RIM's trouble, they just can't seem to execute anything very well right now. Hard to say if they can turn that around anytime soon, but they really haven't got too much of a window to keep screwing around like this.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:

GOOD! I love this. Hope it happens.

Palm: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

HP: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're out of business."

Samsung: "Oh, we'll use WebOS to? crap, we're..."

I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.

The thing is, WebOS is actually a great OS, far better than Android in conception and execution. And Samsung, despite their complete lack of any moral sense, is a smart successful company that knows how to execute.

WebOS for Palm was a beyond last ditch effort when the clock had *already* struck midnight on them. WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

Samsung could actually succeed here.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    Samsung flat out said they weren't buying out HP's PC business.

HP said they were giving up on the hardware for WebOS not the software.

Licensing WebOS?

Who really cares either way, they both suck. Neither can sell their product because their products suck.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    Poor WebOS. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Seriously, what does Sammy know about software and its implementation? I know they have Bada out there, but I haven't seen it. This is just about as misguided as HP buying OS.

Soli's probably right. RIM would make better use of WebOS.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Rim makes more sense for WebOS than Samsung.

Well, I webOS does have a really nice email client! Seriously though, it makes no sense for RIM at all.

Quote:

I tried to pick up a TouchPad for $99 - it did enough well enough to be useful for me - but got cancelled out by a company that oversold its inventory. Meanwhile, seeing the markups being applied on eBay, I checked and WebOS has neither a DropBox orr SugarSync client. It really is quite isolated.

But it does has a client for box.net, which also gives you a free 50Gb online storage.
  • Reply 18 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

It seems everyone wants to copy Apple's integrated approach. Apple's philosophy is called "Beautiful Software in a Beautiful Box." But i doubt any of the competitors would have beautiful software or box.

The thing that the competition never seem to get is that Apples solutions are also, from the users point of view, "Simple Software in a Simple Box".

I don't mean to say Apple stuff isn't powerful, but from the user standpoint, it's always so much more intuitive to use. Whenever I've seen Android I've been amazed by how messy and over complicated everything looks. I'm sure underneath it's a very capable OS like iOS, but it misses on user friendliness.

WebOS seems to be the closest to the Apple model, at least from what I've seen of it, but I imagine were Samsung to buy it, they would end up adding more and more "features" and making it less and less user friendly.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    I like the RIM speculation. Is there any example where Samsung has shown a creative thought? I am serious.

RIM at least did something well, and didn't just turn on the copier. Ya, RIM. I hope you've got the pocketbook out.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    I can't believe I'm actually going to say this.... but I hope Microsoft buys webOS.

All the old webos faithful have moved to WP7, as have most of their developers. WP7 is the most friendly to patching and tinkering, and the interface is most in tune with the webos way of doing things swiping, plus the people tile is similar to synergy (both people focused OS's basically etc).

I'm a bit biased cause I just want swipe up card view multitasking in WP7