Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    tommcintommcin Posts: 108member
    I am reading the book "ON Intelligence" - a new theory on how the brain works. It was written by Jeff Hawkins, the man who created the PalmPilot and the Treo Smartphone. A number of Jeff's presentations are on YouTube. If his systems were as interesting as his book, I think they have enough of a solid foundation to go somewhere.
  • Reply 62 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

Any proof?

My googlefu shows me that lockscreen info from cydia came out in 2009 while the notifications bar in Android came out in 2010 but I am more than open for further evidence.
  • Reply 63 of 145
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    I would love to see this happen, if only for the fact that I've always predicted that Samsung and HTC would ditch Android in a minute if they saw better opportunities with some other OS.

But it would also be nice to see all the fandroids heads exploding if 1 of the only 2 companies that seem to have any success with Android phones would move away from the platform, of course .
  • Reply 64 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

you certainly 'f'ed up that quote from Matthew 7:6

I think it was intentional, and rather creative and humorous at that.
  • Reply 65 of 145
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Apple sells about 20M iPhones a Qtr right?

Thats about 20M/90=> 222'000 per day

I have read that Android is claiming 500'000 activations per day => 45M phones per Qtr

So per year Iphone 80M should rise to about 100M per year by Dec 2011

Android OS Phones 180M per year and rising. There is some doubt attached to using Android activations as legitimate value but that is all we have because android data is sales channel, only not real sold devices.

Essentially iPhone is a new manufacturer capturing about 25% of market starting from zero a few years ago. Android powered Phones are garnering about 55% of market , replacing Symbian OS running on the old dumb phones.

In a nutshell, there isn't really a pure IOS vs Android battle happening. Its more like two new guys in town both taking out the dominant player and the new punk (iOS) muscling in on some of that action and got a head start on the saloon.

Oh and that doesn't even include iPad and Ipodtouch, which basically doubles iOS 's share

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

lol that's hilarious. then how do you explain iOS5 being filled with Android features?

So in pure numbers they are about even, its neck and neck, and the second bar fight is about to begin, fun ahead

I think Apple fell asleep at the wheel and is now playing catchup. They may sell the most phones, but Android as a platform is kicking iOS's butt.

• Reply 66 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Why is it that people seem to forget that the "new" notifications in iOS5 are from someone who use to have the same notifications on cydia BEFORE android had its OMG INNOVATIVE notifications?

where is this cydia notification panel bar that I keep hearing about and when was it released?
  • Reply 67 of 145
    Quote:

....In a nutshell, there isn't really a pure IOS vs Android battle happening. Its more like two new guys in town both taking out the dominant player....

^^This

None will destroy the other.

Through innovation at least. The only way to destroy Android is through litigation. As even if Apple truly owns the top tier market Android still won't fade.
  • Reply 68 of 145
    Quote:

My googlefu shows me that lockscreen info from cydia came out in 2009 while the notifications bar in Android came out in 2010 but I am more than open for further evidence.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/16/t...e-and-wrap-up/

The pull-down notification bar was already there in 2008.
  • Reply 69 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I have read that Android is claiming 500'000 activations per day => 45M phones per Qtr

So per year Iphone 80M should rise to about 100M per year by Dec 2011

Android OS Phones 180M per year and rising. There is some doubt attached to using Android activations as legitimate value but that is all we have because android data is sales channel, only not real sold devices.

Essentially iPhone is a new manufacturer capturing about 25% of market starting from zero a few years ago. Android powered Phones are garnering about 55% of market , replacing Symbian OS running on the old dumb phones.

In a nutshell, there isn't really a pure IOS vs Android battle happening. Its more like two new guys in town both taking out the dominant player and the new punk (iOS) muscling in on some of that action and got a head start on the saloon.

Oh and that doesn't even include iPad and Ipodtouch, which basically doubles iOS 's share

The primary issue is, for all this market share braggadocio, whether anyone other than Apple (and the carriers) is making much money, and if so how much.

I'd love to see actual segment profit numbers for the key players. (In case someone is thinking of bringing in the "market share = developers" argument, please: it's not even a semi-credible contest).
  • Reply 70 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

^^This

None will destroy the other.

Through innovation at least. The only way to destroy Android is through litigation. As even if Apple truly owns the top tier market Android still won't fade.

Wrong. The only way to destroy Android is if Google becomes a manufacturer of smartphones.

Wait. What?! Oh yeah... that already happened.

I give Android 2 more good years.
  • Reply 71 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

where is this cydia notification panel bar that I keep hearing about and when was it released?

I answered that after the post you quoted.

Edit: did a little more research and it seems that the beta was available in 2008
  • Reply 72 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

[?]

Also note that it's actual sales as documented at the end of a quarter and then extracted to a per day average by dividing by 90 v. activations per day without any time frame reference given, without indicating actual sales, or how activations are counted (e.g.: Someone buys an Android-based device, activates it, hates it, returns it yet it's still counted -or- Someone buys an Android-based device, activates it, hates it, flashes it, sells it on Craig's List, someone else activates it).
  • Reply 73 of 145
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

Samsung flat out said they weren't buying out HP's PC business.

HP said they were giving up on the hardware for WebOS not the software.

Licensing WebOS?

Who really cares either way, they both suck. Neither can sell their product because their products suck.

Have you ever actually used WebOS?
  • Reply 74 of 145
    There's never been room for 3 real competitors in the desktop world... I don't know if the mobile world is any different. There just always seems to be that odd 3rd step-child that never gets any traction... whether it is 'better' or not.

Eventually, Apple will license iOS... when the margins in the hardware are too tight, and the App Store is making billions on its own.
  • Reply 75 of 145
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Notification bar was present on the G1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSZzseX2zA
  • Reply 76 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/16/t...e-and-wrap-up/

The pull-down notification bar was already there in 2008.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Notification bar was present on the G1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMSZzseX2zA

Which came out in 2008
  • Reply 77 of 145
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

Which came out in 2008

You implied that it came out in 2010. It didn't it was on the FIRST android device launched.

You said that the Cydia store option came out before the announcement of the G1?
  • Reply 78 of 145
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    It's entirely possible they want WebOS for the IP, rather than the OS itself. Remember, they are fighting battles with Apple and potentially now Google after the Motorola Mobility acqusition. WebOS has a nice UI and incorporates technical features that are not yet in iOS or Android. They could be hoping either to sidestep other companies' patents, or cross-license.

Apple has managed to block various Samsung Android devices in Europe and now Australia. This might be temporary, but if they stick, then Samsung needs a Plan B.
  • Reply 79 of 145
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I really hope you're right, but I'm not so sure.

The thing is, WebOS is actually a great OS, far better than Android in conception and execution. And Samsung, despite their complete lack of any moral sense, is a smart successful company that knows how to execute.

WebOS for Palm was a beyond last ditch effort when the clock had *already* struck midnight on them. WebOS for HP was a disaster because HP always f*cks things like that up. It has a long history of turning pearls into swine.

Samsung could actually succeed here.

Samsung can't succeed with WebOS, but it would be great if they tried. And afterwards if they sold it to HTC, and then they sold it to....

You have to ask yourself exactly what WebOS competed against when it failed twice. If you say iOS, Android, etc..., then you're missing the main reasons why it failed. It never competed against iOS; instead it competed against the iOS ecosystem.

One can argue that WebOS was better or worse than iOS. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a little better or a little worse, it lacked everything that made iPhones and iPads and iPods and the Apple TV succeed.

So like HP before it, and Palm before that, Samsung would have no apps, no app store, no music store, few accessories; no integration with cars, alarm clocks, or stereo systems.

Of course Samsung, can build some of that and integrate the WebOS platform into some of their other products, but that's a major investment with a lot of risk. Their only strength is in the hardware, they have no real relevant history in terms of development of what is needed for the platform to succeed as a whole.
  • Reply 80 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again whilst expecting different results.

HOWEVER, should Samsung make a 8.53" tablet, they might have something. Or a 10.65".

You're not thinking outside the box.

Samsung C.E.O.: Okay, guys. This is it. We're going to innovate now. We're going to create something big. Steve Jobs is out of the game, so we have to step up.

Design Lackey: But sir, that's hard.

Samsung C.E.O.: No buts! I don't want to leave this room until we come up with something Apple would NEVER do. Something SO radical, it completely redefines the entire tablet marketplace.

Design Lackey: Something like this, sir?

Samsung C.E.O.:… BRILLIANT! GET IT OUT THERE RIGHT NOW.

*six months later*

Commercial guy: Introducing…

Commercial guy: Samsung: Isosceleading the way.

And then Apple sues them for stealing their "Leading The Way" slogan from the '80s.