Samsung rumored to buy webOS to compete with Apple's iOS, Mac OS X

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As to "intense hatred of anything non-Apple". That is overstated! I like non-apple products, and dislike some Apple products/choices.

I do not trust MS, because of personal dealings. I do not like Google because of their unethical, if not illegal, practices -- while flaunting their "Do No Evil" mantra.

Sammy, appears to make good products, but I do not respect them -- it appears as if they are violating the IP of others.

How does that make you feel about Steve Jobs and his famous "Good artists copy, great artists steal. We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."?

Or... is it only about IPs, not about ideas in general? Legal vs. moral?

Just curious.
  • Reply 142 of 145
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That only presuming that both 20M iPhone and 45M Android sales are all new users, not users upgrading from older iPhone or Android. Or that all old iPhones or Androids remain in use by being sold or given.

Used iPhones fetch a high price on eBay. I've sold 3 of them and they all netted me $250-$350, so based on this I think many of them remain in circulation. I don't know about Android phones, but I'm willing to bet their resale value isn't as high at least.
  • Reply 143 of 145
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Apple sells about 20M iPhones a Qtr right?

Thats about 20M/90=> 222'000 per day

I have read that Android is claiming 500'000 activations per day => 45M phones per Qtr

the operative word is 'sells', as opposed to giving away or stuffing into distro channels.
  • Reply 144 of 145
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

the operative word is 'sells', as opposed to giving away or stuffing into distro channels.

The manufacturers don't give away smartphones.

They're sold to the public or carriers. If the carrier chooses to offer one included in return for signing up for a $2000+/- cell plan, that's their choice from a marketing perspective. But they still paid Moto, or Samsung, or Apple or HTC, etc. for the phone.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Let's play this out a bit. If Samsung DiD buy the WebOS business from HP, they could probably get the Touchpad design as well. Now, Touchpad didn't sell at $499, but it wasn't at $399 long enough to know if it would sell.

What if Samsung tweaked it slightly to make it more attractive and re-launched it? The most important tweak is already taken care of. Developers probably weren't interested in the TouchPad originally. But based on estimates in the other thread today, there will probably be over a million TouchPads out there within a month as HP fulfills its orders. That gives a reasonable base to build on, so it should be possible to overcome the biggest disadvantage - developer support.

Would it make a different if Samsung tweaked the design a bit (perhaps a slightly faster processor or more RAM) and there was a great increase in developer support? Perhaps.

Now, if that were combined with RIM buying the Moto handset business from Google, there would be some real competition:

Apple - iOS

Nokia - Windows Phone 8

Samsung - WebOS (and maybe Bada for the low end, but probably not)

RIM / HTC / everyone else - Android

There would certainly be some overlap since many of the vendors would not put all their eggs in one basket. Samsung would probably also sell Android phones. HTC would probably sell WP8 phones - and so on.

If these companies would then put some more resources into innovating on their own, the industry could take a HUGE leap forward.