Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I think I'll trust what was said in court over your idiotic comment.

What was 'idiotic' about the comment?
  • Reply 22 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Samsung apes Apple so it can trick Apple's customers into buying their knockoff -

Has Apple ever alleged that in any court filings? If not, where did you get that fact?
  • Reply 23 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

OK...his legal team 'implied' that they would pursue a legal order. Shall we play word games? Apple's legal team quite often warns people of potential issues and kindly requests they refrain from a particular practice. My guess is that Samsung chose to ignore this suggestion ...

I am not playing semantics. There is a clear difference in who can issue a cease and desist order and a cease and desist letter. People really do need to understand things correctly instead of just mouthing off without considering what they say.

This is bad journalism. Plain and simple. The article does not state that they "implied" anything.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Only Steve could iron things out with a few words:

"All is good, it's fixed"

-Sent from my iPhone
  • Reply 25 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wonder if Samsung believed the iPhone GUI was okay to use because Google was behind it? Why should Apple sue Samsung when it is Google that created Android? Or do they sincerely believe there is no shame in blatantly copying another company's product?

Presumably because Samsung is the one selling an infringing product.

Samsung is free to then sue Google if they wish. Alternatively, Apple could sue Google for contributory infringement, but that's harder to prove - especially before Apple wins a case against an actual infringer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I think that the people who buy a Samsung Android phone are aware that it will not work with iTunes.

Nonsense. While there are plenty of geeks who are well-informed, there are also lots of other people who aren't. I had someone show me their new 'iphone' last month - which turned out to be one of the Samsung copies. Samsung's entire marketing plan seems to revolve around creating confusion in the market place and making people think that they're getting an iPhone - or at least that Samsung's phones take advantage of all the things that iPhones do like iTunes.
  • Reply 26 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

there is no shame in copying in the asian culture--i've said it here before.

asian students have a difficult time when they come here. the idea of 'plagiarism' is a hurdle for most of them.

Check out the book "The Geography of Thought" if you are interested in the comparison of "Eastern" and "Western" thought and how different they see the world. A nice read.
  • Reply 27 of 134
    Quote:

Apple's legal team quite often warns people of potential issues and kindly requests they refrain from a particular practice.

Wow. Where did you get that "fact"? Got any evidence that they do that? If it happens quite often, as you state, then you must have at least a few examples.

Or maybe just one?

Or none?

Is this just magical thinking, or is your statement of fact based upon concrete examples?
  • Reply 28 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Presumably because Samsung is the one selling an infringing product.

Samsung is free to then sue Google if they wish. Alternatively, Apple could sue Google for contributory infringement, but that's harder to prove - especially before Apple wins a case against an actual infringer.

Nonsense. While there are plenty of geeks who are well-informed, there are also lots of other people who aren't. I had someone show me their new 'iphone' last month - which turned out to be one of the Samsung copies. Samsung's entire marketing plan seems to revolve around creating confusion in the market place and making people think that they're getting an iPhone - or at least that Samsung's phones take advantage of all the things that iPhones do like iTunes.

You went from a reasonable argument in the first paragraph to hearsay in the second paragraph. So this person couldn't read the box that clearly stated Samsung Galaxy S or what not? Really?
  • Reply 29 of 134
    Quote:

What was 'idiotic' about the comment?

It was not fact-based. Indeed, it was impossible that it might be true.

I'd not call it idiotic, but such a description is not nearly as far-fetched as the original comment.
  • Reply 30 of 134
    Hard to argue with this comparison of Samsung and Apple

http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a
  • Reply 31 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. While there are plenty of geeks who are well-informed, there are also lots of other people who aren't. I had someone show me their new 'iphone' last month - which turned out to be one of the Samsung copies.

People like that should stick with Apple. They are currently Apple's bread and butter customers.
  • Reply 32 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It was not fact-based. Indeed, it was impossible that it might be true.

I'd not call it idiotic, but such a description is not nearly as far-fetched as the original comment.

You're telling me that denying that Steve and Apple's lawyers can issue a Cease-and-Desist ORDER is not fact based and that it is "impossible to be true"? How so? They can issue a cease and desist letter, but NOT an ORDER. A court does that.

How is that not fact-based again? (At least in the U.S.)

Maybe you are commenting about the wrong post?
  • Reply 33 of 134
    Was speaking with a fantastic radio host here in California - Bill Handel - Lawyer and MILIONS of listeners M-S.

He recently purchased a Samsung Washer and Dryer - his wife found a deal in NY_ cheap, free shipping.

Gets it - all the sheets et al are in a "ball" .. tries it himself, doesn't work. Calls the 800 Samsung number - guy comes out - says nothing to do - that's the machine design - defective. Then he calls them back - gets a VP - just references the 800 number.

No one does a darned thing. Does a radio show about how its impossible to get anyone at Samsung to deal with this defective product. Calls again - referenced 800 number again - this call was all the way to the top of Samsung

Still nothing - Does radio show #2 - talking about the defective Samsung washer and dryer. Still no reply.

... finally a VP in the US of Samsung hears the show and they refund the $ to Bill.

Korean business people are out to lunch in general. They are close-minded, cannot figure out the big picture. Why didn't they pick up the machine without Bill having to speak about it to MILLIONS of people in SouthernCal. Why??????? Bill had an experience with a credit card delay, misspelled name - called the company (US) and they called back in 1 hour and said that they would take the card to him before the morning show (he said FEDEX it - that's okay - great guy).

Steve Jobs made a personal call just like Bill Handel did - they seriously have PR and communication problems Samsung will lose close to $10 BILLION in business .. that could have been avoided if they simply came up with their own design and worked it out. But that is the Korean way it seems. They need seriously American or local individuals - not Korean - to communicate ...

I have had many similar personal incidences ... this is a very ARROGANT/STUPID/CLOSEMINDED company/culture in general. Its going to finally get to Samsung - like it did with the washer and dryer when the American VP called Bill and said he would take it back and refund him for the defective product.
  • Reply 34 of 134
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

That image perpetuates a falsehood. The Samsung phone in its natural state, on the homescreen, looks nothing like an iphone and is being intentionally misrepresented here. Yes, the app tray looks nearly identical to the iPhone, but this is a continued, false representation otherwise.

That is the photo Samsung puts in their ads... Catching on yet?
  • Reply 35 of 134
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I imagine the discussion went something like this:

"You're our biggest supplier. We'd like to keep giving you money. But we'd like you to shut down you whole Android smartphone lineup."

That sounds more like a conciliatory tone from Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 36 of 134
    Quote:

You're telling me that denying that Steve and Apple's lawyers can issue a Cease-and-Desist ORDER is not fact based and that it is "impossible to be true"? How so? They can issue a cease and desist letter, but NOT an ORDER. A court does that.

How is that not fact-based again? (At least in the U.S.)

Maybe you are commenting about the wrong post?

Maybe. I was thinking that the post claimed that Apple's layers issued an order. Sorry if I responded based upon an error.
  • Reply 37 of 134
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

I think that the people who buy a Samsung Android phone are aware that it will not work with iTunes. They do have an App store, just not the Apple iTunes App Store. The intuitiveness and elegance of iOS is a subjective description. Many folks actually LIKE Android...not me, but I know several who are die-hard Android fans.

Dial down the Apple fanboy-ness.

The people who would comment here, yes.

Just last night the mother in-law whipped out her samsung POS and said "I haven't used iTunes and put music on it and i don't have apps or anything, because it is one of the first iPhones. I am waiting to get a new one before i do that, this one is too slow and old."

It amazes me the degree to which people think their knowledge and abilities transfer to others. Most of the population are not card carrying geeks who know this stuff. That is what most of Androids sales are made on the back of...
  • Reply 38 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Business Students Life View Post

Was speaking with a fantastic radio host here in California - Bill Handel - Lawyer and MILIONS of listeners M-S.

He recently purchased a Samsung Washer and Dryer - his wife found a deal in NY_ cheap, free shipping.

Gets it - all the sheets et al are in a "ball" .. tries it himself, doesn't work. Calls the 800 Samsung number - guy comes out - says nothing to do - that's the machine design - defective. Then he calls them back - gets a VP - just references the 800 number.

No one does a darned thing. Does a radio show about how its impossible to get anyone at Samsung to deal with this defective product. Calls again - referenced 800 number again - this call was all the way to the top of Samsung

Still nothing - Does radio show #2 - talking about the defective Samsung washer and dryer. Still no reply.

... finally a VP in the US of Samsung hears the show and they refund the $ to Bill.

Korean business people are out to lunch in general. They are close-minded, cannot figure out the big picture. Why didn't they pick up the machine without Bill having to speak about it to MILLIONS of people in SouthernCal. Why??????? Bill had an experience with a credit card delay, misspelled name - called the company (US) and they called back in 1 hour and said that they would take the card to him before the morning show (he said FEDEX it - that's okay - great guy).

Steve Jobs made a personal call just like Bill Handel did - they seriously have PR and communication problems Samsung will lose close to $10 BILLION in business .. that could have been avoided if they simply came up with their own design and worked it out. But that is the Korean way it seems. They need seriously American or local individuals - not Korean - to communicate ...

I have had many similar personal incidences ... this is a very ARROGANT/STUPID/CLOSEMINDED company/culture in general. Its going to finally get to Samsung - like it did with the washer and dryer when the American VP called Bill and said he would take it back and refund him for the defective product.

I have no idea where you are going with this, other than generalizing an entire nation based on your flawed perception of Samsung copying everything. I did learn for the first time that Samsung makes washing machines though.
  • Reply 39 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Hard to argue with this comparison of Samsung and Apple

http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a

The top rated comment in that thread does a good job of demolishing that image though.

And I quote:
    Ok I am sick and tired of seeing this shit here. Apple makes good products, but it is currently trying to keep competitors off the market. Not a good sign, if you have better products they will sell anyway. You are not supposed to be able to patent obvious things. A thin bezel around a tablet screen? Well holy fuck - the point of a tablet is to have the whole thing to be a screen! It is obvious.

The store is probably just some crappy samsung licensed reseller doing a bad job.

The plug- so now Apple owns the IP for a fucking square? Are you kidding me?

A box with the picture of the product on it? Oh my fucking god, Steve Jobs is a genius and no one would ever have thought of such a concept had he not developed this while he was at Apple.

When you open the box ... YOU SEE THE PRODUCT. Only Apple is supposed to be allowed to ship products! Competitors must only be allowed to sell non functional fakes!

A standard USB cable with the USB logo on it going to a proprietary connector! Without Apple no one would ever have the idea to use a common connector to interface with more obscure hardware, never-mind the fact that USB was designed by Intel with help from other companies.

A voice recording application with a picture of a microphone? Another brilliant innovation by Apple. It's not like the microphone hasn't been the de facto symbol for mic in/voice recording since... ever...

Posts like this are why people hate Apple fanboys.

• Reply 40 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Business Students Life View Post

This is just the problem with this design of side loading washer and dryers. I have Samsung as well. The washer is slower than my old top loader (but is uses 1/2 the water), but the dryer is MUCH faster than my old dryer. Yes, my sheets to get wrapped in a ball. Solution? Just put one or two sheets in at a time and they are dry in about 10 mins.

My question is this. Did the guy give back the washer and dryer after he got the refund or did he keep using them? Also, if he had done even a bit of research he would have learned this problem was indicative of these style washers and dryers.

I think there is a big difference in a customer calling speaking with CSRs versus a CEO calling the CEO of another company. Not a fair comparison.

I do think that your statement that this is "the Korean way" is rather nasty. Some would say a it was a racist comment. I won't because we are all the same race...humans, but others might. You would engender more support if you said it seems to be common of many Korean businesses...but then again that can be said of many American businesses as well. I lived in Korea for a year and only once was I treated rudely....and I was an American solider.