Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 81 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Enlighten us then ...

The injunction was based on a drawing of a non existent product. Not the iPad.
  • Reply 82 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.

I don't see why any company should be blamed because consumers are ignorant or dumb.

Should Hyundai be sued because an idiot thought the Genesis was a BMW?
  • Reply 83 of 134
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. While there are plenty of geeks who are well-informed, there are also lots of other people who aren't. I had someone show me their new 'iphone' last month - which turned out to be one of the Samsung copies. Samsung's entire marketing plan seems to revolve around creating confusion in the market place and making people think that they're getting an iPhone - or at least that Samsung's phones take advantage of all the things that iPhones do like iTunes.

I don't think the main problem is that some people think they're actually buying an iPhone - it's more that they look at the Samsung phone and think it's the same as an iPhone. And even more, salespeople are telling them that the Samsung phone is just about the same as an iPhone, and they can show them the screen to "prove" it.
  • Reply 84 of 134
    Quote:

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.

Don't be a dick and act in a asinine and condescending manner.

If the number 2 person in your company is too stupid to understand the difference between 2 differently branded phones (when all it takes is a 1 minute Google/Bing search) then maybe he shouldn't be involved in running your company. Does he also not understand the difference between a Honda and Toyota?
  • Reply 85 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

While I may have misspoke when stating an 'Order' was issued, I would still not be surprised (though I don't know for a fact) that Steve's legal team asked Samsung to 'cease and desist'. Calling this statement idiotic is both rude and uncalled for in this forum. This is supposed to be a place where opinions can be made without someone being rude.

Yep, there are some hotheads hanging out here from time to time. I think your original point is unanswered: was the first exchange a carrot, a stick, or maybe just an invitation to work things out?

Edit: see the post above for more fighting roosterism. Emotions are close to the surface in this 'culture' of extremity. Maybe it's why you find yourself in southeastern Turkey, where apparently the original squarish icon was invented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe
  • Reply 86 of 134
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I do not know if they are being tricked, but there is customer confusion. I was in Best Buy last month, and I heard two different sets of people look at the Samsung phone display and comment on the so called iPhone.

So I think it fair to assume Samsung probably gets a fair amount of customers who at least initially think the Galaxy is an iPhone. If so, Samsung in the very least is violating Apple's trademark.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing;

OMG. People are NOT BEING TRICKED into buying a Samsung phone thinking it is an Apple product.

1. The phones are not the same size as in the picture.

2. The Samsung phone has "Samsung" on the front.

3. The main OS on the Samsung doesn't look like iOS. Only the app drawer has a grid of icons.

4. People DO UNDERSTAND that these are not iPhones and many people WANT this phone.

I am sorry, I like my iPhone and Win7 phone, and will not use an Android phone...BUT come on...you sound like a broken record. That Samsung phone looks no more like an iPhone than the Honda Insight looks like the Prius. Similar, but not the same. Unfortunately for Honda, they chose to copy the Prius look hoping that people would believe that is what a Hybrid should look like. Sales figures show otherwise.

You really must have a very low opinion of the people (around the world) if you believe they are so stupid as to be duped into buying a Samsung, thinking it is an Apple product.

• Reply 87 of 134
    deleted
  • Reply 88 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

How many TVs aren't black? There is a good reason for this as perceived contrast is higher. Even insinuating Apple has a design patent on a black bezzel is absurd. Can you imagine TV companies suing each other because they are all black glossy rectangles? Look at the picture below and tell me where you see any buttons on the bezel? Do the icons and background look like an iPad? I love my iPad because of the apps, but this whole "Apple has a patent on the glossy black rectangle" is absurd.

LOL, yeah... Beause we all know how similar those homescreen calendar and weather widgets look to the plethora ( ) of homescreen widgets that are available for iOS...
  • Reply 89 of 134
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

The first two paragraphs seem like the best summary of the problem here.

Don't know about the last point though. It could be better Korean industrial practice to copy and then work out the legal IP issues with the Americans and Europeans later.

Example: How great would it have been if two of the other dumbest companies on earth, GM and Ford, had copied Japanese auto manufacturing back in the 70s, rather than stubbornly going all-out with their antiquated bloatware for two decades more?
  • Reply 90 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I do not know if they are being tricked, but there is customer confusion. I was in Best Buy last month, and I heard two different sets of people look at the Samsung phone display and comment on the so called iPhone.

So I think it fair to assume Samsung probably gets a fair amount of customers who at least initially think the Galaxy is an iPhone. If so, Samsung in the very least is violating Apple's trademark.

BS. Just because something looks similar (and people are not observant) doesn't mean that one company is violating a trademark. By the way, this isn't about trademarks, but patents. Look at the current Prius and the Insight. Easy to mix them up when taking a glance, but up close it is obvious. Same with the phones. Up close...come on....this isn't rocket science.
  • Reply 91 of 134
    Doesn't matter anymore. I simply cannot waste time and energy worrying about this nonsense. My current phone is a Samsung Focus (testing out Mango). My next phone is either an iPhone 4 / 4S / 5 / whatever comes out next week.

Let them fight it out and waste time and money. It seems this is all about either stupidity, greed or ego...or all of the above.

Time to move on.
  • Reply 92 of 134
    Interesting comments out of Australia

"This is going to be launched on the market with the velocity of a fire hose and [the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is] going to just come in and take away iPad 2 sales so quickly that by the time we get to final hearing the full impact of the patent infringement will be [felt] to the detriment of Apple and to the benefit of [Samsung]."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/57...-two-customers
  • Reply 93 of 134
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 94 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't see why any company should be blamed because consumers are ignorant or dumb.

Should Hyundai be sued because an idiot thought the Genesis was a BMW?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't think the main problem is that some people think they're actually buying an iPhone - it's more that they look at the Samsung phone and think it's the same as an iPhone. And even more, salespeople are telling them that the Samsung phone is just about the same as an iPhone, and they can show them the screen to "prove" it.

It stops being the consumer's problem at the point where Samsung decided to make their entire market strategy revolve around trying to convince consumers that they were buying iPhones.
  • Reply 95 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't know why people keep saying Samsung copies Apple. For instance, what possible other interface could you use for a voice recorder app other than a big picture of a studio condenser mic? I mean, it's so obvious!

• Reply 96 of 134
    Quote:

In other news, hoovers, xerox, walkman, yada yada yada

Ignorant or stupid consumer base is not suitable evidence for lawsuits.
  • Reply 97 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

The top rated comment in that thread does a pretty good job of demolishing that image. Considering the fact that it's posted in the Apple sub-forum in the first place.

Here you go:

You can love Apple's products and services, without being a blind fanboy (I'm not implying you are one btw). These patent wars are an absolute joke.

I hear you but it's not like it's just one thing. Add it all up.

After they finished mocking Apple when the iPhone first announced and realized that the iPhone was a hit, they release phones that magically began to look so close to Apple's hardware that it is difficult to tell them apart.

PLUS

The charging cable

PLUS

the charging block

PLUS

look of the packaging

PLUS...

The iPhone defined what a smartphone is and does. Apple took a big gamble. If Samsung simply just copied one or two things, fine, I'd agree with you. That's not the case here.

In the end Samsung will likely skate away relatively unscathed, so whatever. I'm tired of all of this too.
  • Reply 98 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

In other news, hoovers, xerox, walkman, yada yada yada

Ignorant or stupid consumer base is not suitable evidence for lawsuits.

Yes and no.

Dr. Joyce Brothers was a witness for the Cabbage Patch Dolls case, as an expert testifying whether the public might confuse CPD lookalikes with the real McCoy. So yes, confusing the public is another important factor.
  • Reply 99 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

This is what has me flummoxed by the whole thing: Samsung is willing to piss away a huge customer deal for a hope of making it big in the tablet market.

I spent last week in S. Korea, visiting Hynix, another large electronics firm there. Hynix also supplies memory to Apple (a fact that is trumpeted on the front of one of their buildings). My Korean co-workers there, one of whom owns an iPhone and the other of whom may get an iPhone as his next phone, cannot explain Samsung's "strategy". all they can say is that there are many business departments in Samsung. Who apparently don't talk to each other and who apparently don't answer to any single head guy, as far as I can determine.

It all seems a very dubious enterprise to me. Of course, now Samsung has upped the ante all over the world, and they don't dare back down. I really have to wonder about the decision making process in that company, though. They surely cannot imagine that Apple will ever back down, either. And this is not a case of who has the most patents to cross-license; Apple is out for blood on this one. And Samsung is, from all I can determine, already bleeding a bit; Apple doesn't have a scratch yet. I wonder what Samsung management hopes the end game of this will be. And how they hope to get there?
  • Reply 100 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

If there is one thing that characterizes Apple's corporate history, it is its ability to learn from its mistakes (lost bar iPhones aside). Apple should never again leave itself open to the kind of extortion and leverage that Samsung has. Too many eggs in one basket. Fortunately, they have a CEO in place who has made his reputation on supply chain management. The right man for the job.

Right-o. Mr. Cook will certainly be able to rectify this. He was only maximizing supply in the first place, but time to spread out.

To those of you who say 'So what if apple sells 10% fewer, it's still in the billions...',

Well, screw you but that's a lot to take out of anybody's bottom line. As a shareholder I expect apple to take action on these blatant violations. Apple has had their iPad concept on the drawing boards for a decade!! They ingeniously decided to interpret it into smaller form and build the phone first. I'll be damned if some lazy company gets to just copy the general concept and make it as close as possible in overall look and feel! And it's also true that many people are just looking for a sleek black phone and may figure to add iTunes later, not understanding that the imitator is junk that won't do what they want. They may very well conclude there is no point in buying another sleek black phone like the iPhone itself. This HURTS Apple in a material way.

I agree with the poster who said Samsung is disorganized and idiotic. Have any of you tried to go to their website and try to find a current driver for anything? Try to find it, good luck. Their site is a mess.

I bought a Samsung TV based partly on the fact that they are an Apple supplier. I wish I hadn't. I'm not really pleased with it and should have returned it when I could. I know I won't be buying anything from them anymore, based on the fact that they are lazy disorganized copiers of technology.

I doubt Apple really wants the patent wars. I think they are necessary. Look at Apple's overall history, they invent things. They put already invented things together in new ways that have a refined user experience. The jealousy out there shouldn't surprise me so much but it always does. Why can't we have an American owned company to be proud of? Would you be happier without Apple? Really?