Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


    That is the photo Samsung puts in their ads... Catching on yet?



    Where?
  • Reply 42 of 134
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 43 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    Hard to argue with this comparison of Samsung and Apple



    http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a



    The top rated comment in that thread does a pretty good job of demolishing that image. Considering the fact that it's posted in the Apple sub-forum in the first place.



    Here you go:



    Quote:

    Ok I am sick and tired of seeing this shit here. Apple makes good products, but it is currently trying to keep competitors off the market. Not a good sign, if you have better products they will sell anyway. You are not supposed to be able to patent obvious things. A thin bezel around a tablet screen? Well holy fuck - the point of a tablet is to have the whole thing to be a screen! It is obvious.



    The store is probably just some crappy samsung licensed reseller doing a bad job.



    The plug- so now Apple owns the IP for a fucking square? Are you kidding me?



    A box with the picture of the product on it? Oh my fucking god, Steve Jobs is a genius and no one would ever have thought of such a concept had he not developed this while he was at Apple.



    When you open the box ... YOU SEE THE PRODUCT. Only Apple is supposed to be allowed to ship products! Competitors must only be allowed to sell non functional fakes!



    A standard USB cable with the USB logo on it going to a proprietary connector! Without Apple no one would ever have the idea to use a common connector to interface with more obscure hardware, never-mind the fact that USB was designed by Intel with help from other companies.



    A voice recording application with a picture of a microphone? Another brilliant innovation by Apple. It's not like the microphone hasn't been the de facto symbol for mic in/voice recording since... ever...



    Posts like this are why people hate Apple fanboys.



    You can love Apple's products and services, without being a blind fanboy (I'm not implying you are one btw). These patent wars are an absolute joke.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I think Apple was trying to pull the same stunt with Samsung as they did years earlier with Diamond Multimedia and it back fired...
  • Reply 45 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post


    The people who would comment here, yes.



    Just last night the mother in-law whipped out her samsung POS and said "I haven't used iTunes and put music on it and i don't have apps or anything, because it is one of the first iPhones. I am waiting to get a new one before i do that, this one is too slow and old."



    It amazes me the degree to which people think their knowledge and abilities transfer to others. Most of the population are not card carrying geeks who know this stuff. That is what most of Androids sales are made on the back of...



    I am not expecting others to be "card carrying geeks who know this stuff". I don't expect my knowledge and abilities to transfer to others. I just expect that most people can read the box, or know someone who can read the box (I guess I assume most people who buy these phones are not illiterate).



    I seriously doubt that "most of Android sales" are made by trickery. I have been in my local AT&T store (official store) and I EVERY time I hear a salesperson touting the advantages of an Android phone over and iPhone. They make it VERY CLEAR that this "fantastic Android phone" is better than Apple's phone. They are not telling customers that the Android phone they are selling them is, in fact, an iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    OMG. People are NOT BEING TRICKED into buying a Samsung phone thinking it is an Apple product.



    That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.



    So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.



    Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.
  • Reply 47 of 134
    Samsung will do what they have to do to make money. Apple will do what they will have to do to make money. Personally I love apple and I dont care what the courts end up finding at the end. The iphone changed the phone game and people are copying. Samsung goes too far with the copying as a result I am personally boycotting ANY Samsung product. People/consumers should do what they feel is right.



    http://www.reddit.com/tb/kr14a







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Before the patent battle between Apple and Samsung became a worldwide legal mess, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs reportedly initiated contact with Samsung in an attempt to resolve the issues out of court.



    Jobs was said to have reached out to Samsung in July of 2010, initiating negotiations between Apple and Samsung, Apple attorneys told an Australian court this week. But Jobs was no longer involved once the actual talks over Samsung's Galaxy S smartphone began, according to Bloomberg.



    "Samsung is an important supplier with whom we have a deep relationship," Apple patent attorney Richard Lutton reportedly said in court on Thursday. "We wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing."



    Those negotiations proved unsuccessful, which led Apple to file a patent infringement suit against Samsung in April, accusing it of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. Samsung quickly fired back with its own accusations, and the two companies are now involved in lawsuits that spread across four continents.



    Based on the popularity of products like the iPhone and iPad, Apple is said to be the largest customer of rival Samsung, from which it buys components like chips and memory. Earlier this year it was estimated that Apple would buy some $7.8 billion in parts from Samsung.







    But that number may have shifted as Apple looks elsewhere for components. For example, Apple is said to have inked a deal with another chipmaker, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., for new mobile processors that will power future iPhone and iPad models.



    Earlier this month, it was also said that Apple has begun purchasing memory from Japan to reduce its reliance on Samsung. The iPhone maker has reportedly aligned with Toshiba and Elpida Memory for orders of DRAM and NAND flash.



  • Reply 48 of 134
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post


    The top rated comment in that thread does a pretty good job of demolishing that image. Considering the fact that it's posted in the Apple sub-forum in the first place.



    Here you go:







    You can love Apple's products and services, without being a blind fanboy (I'm not implying you are one btw). These patent wars are an absolute joke.





    That's a good job? It sounds like the typical ignorant internet android fan rantings to me.



    Anyone who looks at this stuff can see that Samsung is blatantly copying it. Anyone who isn't a biased fanboy anyway.



    But we also know that this is the real world, and that everyone copies everyone. So did they copy it enough to break the law? I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. Or a judge.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post


    The top rated comment in that thread does a pretty good job of demolishing that image. Considering the fact that it's posted in the Apple sub-forum in the first place.



    Here you go:

    etc. etc. etc.



    You can love Apple's products and services, without being a blind fanboy (I'm not implying you are one btw). These patent wars are an absolute joke.



    I really wonder if anyone has ever stepped back and said to themselves, "Hmmmm... if the general public thinks that these patent wars are a joke then what does Apple think? Cannot they see that this appears really lame to a lot of people? Cannot they also see that people will think they are trying to stifle competition? Hmmmmm... why would they take the risk of possibly damaging their reputation to pursue these patent wars?".



    In my opinion, there's something much deeper here and if Steve went to Samsung beforehand then that heightens my suspicions even more. Is about egos? Possibly. I think it goes deeper (and, yes, I've said it before). I think that Samsung broke a trust that is not provable in court and Apple is going after them in any way it can.



    To me this all sounds like it's Steve's baby and I'd really like to know what Tim Cook "really" feels about this whole thing.



    I'm really not sure what is right or wrong anymore because there are so many things to consider.



    jmho
  • Reply 50 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post


    That's a good job? It sounds like the typical ignorant internet android fan rantings to me.



    Anyone who looks at this stuff can see that Samsung is blatantly copying it. Anyone who isn't a biased fanboy anyway.



    But we also know that this is the real world, and that everyone copies everyone. So did they copy it enough to break the law? I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. Or a judge.



    I'm not a lawyer or a judge either, but I know there are only so many ways you can make a rounded rectangle. The original Galaxy S phone does bear striking similarities to the 3GS despite the size I'll give you that. But the Galaxy Tab Apple's been trying so desperately to get it banned? Hardly.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    sennensennen Posts: 1,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    Thanks for the personal attack. My statement stands.



    I think you'll find I was responding to smaceslin's idiotic statement, not to anything that you may have said, idiotic or not.
  • Reply 52 of 134
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    I am not expecting others to be "card carrying geeks who know this stuff". I don't expect my knowledge and abilities to transfer to others. I just expect that most people can read the box, or know someone who can read the box (I guess I assume most people who buy these phones are not illiterate).



    I seriously doubt that "most of Android sales" are made by trickery. I have been in my local AT&T store (official store) and I EVERY time I hear a salesperson touting the advantages of an Android phone over and iPhone. They make it VERY CLEAR that this "fantastic Android phone" is better than Apple's phone. They are not telling customers that the Android phone they are selling them is, in fact, an iPhone.



    If you really think most people can read the box, you have a higher opinion of most people than modern psychology gives us reason to have. That isn't being illiterate, it is just that being able to reading, reading, and understanding it are three separate issues.



    I am not saying most sales are made by trickery. In fact I suspect very very few are. It is more a matter of ignorance. People ignore what they don't care to be bothered with. A little confirmation bias, a little cognitive dissonance, next thing you know you bought the "totally way better than an iPhone" that happens to be all they have in stock. Welcome to the human mind.
  • Reply 53 of 134
    Apple Fan-boy status or not, it's not hard to see a "death by a thousand cuts" scenario affecting Samsung in this matter...any one element might be argued away, but in toto, the similarities in so many areas, from product, to UI, to packaging, to accessories, make a pretty strong case that Samsung was attempting to leverage Apple's success through infringement on Apple's IP - presuming Apple can show that the majority of what Samsung did occurred after the public disclosure of Apple's products themselves.



    It doesn't help Samsung either that it appears, from what I've read so far, that most of these elements in question were very different prior to the announcements of Apple's products, and Samsung's design inspiration followed Apple...
  • Reply 54 of 134
    Post removed by poster.
  • Reply 55 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    I think you'll find I was responding to smaceslin's idiotic statement, not to anything that you may have said, idiotic or not.



    Yep, you are right. I missed that. Today is National Coffee Day, and yet I made a mistake because I haven't have my coffee yet.



    My error. Apologies.
  • Reply 56 of 134
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    I really wonder if anyone has ever stepped back and said to themselves, "Hmmmm... if the general public thinks that these patent wars are a joke then what does Apple think?



    I don't think the general public even knows there is a lawsuit. The general public can't name their congressman and thinks their OS is "internet explorer" and that their internet connection is through google. Nerds and most males under 25 might be the exception, and that is why the forums where this is so often discussed are such a joy, they involve thousands of testosterone crazed gamer virgins whose identity is all tied up in whatever product they spent their hard earned dell tech support money on.....



    What does Apple think? I suspect that you are mostly right, Steve and the culture he formed at Apple would never behave like samsung has, so to them it is a breach of honor. And above mentioned males lacking identity aside, samsung copied so blatantly they should be embarrassed. But I doubt it has any chance legally.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    deleted
  • Reply 58 of 134
    sennensennen Posts: 1,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post


    What was 'idiotic' about the comment?



    It is idiotic because you chose to completely ignore the alleged facts being presented - in a court of law. Do you think that this would not be challenged by Samsung if it wasn't true? Do you think that Apple's legal team would, if knowing this to be untrue, say it and not expect it to be challenged? Do you think that they are that stupid?
  • Reply 59 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post


    I don't think the general public even knows there is a lawsuit. The general public can't name their congressman and thinks their OS is "internet explorer" and that their internet connection is through google. Nerds and most males under 25 might be the exception, and that is why the forums where this is so often discussed are such a joy, they involve thousands of testosterone crazed gamer virgins whose identity is all tied up in whatever product they spent their hard earned dell tech support money on.....



    What does Apple think? I suspect that you are mostly right, Steve and the culture he formed at Apple would never behave like samsung has, so to them it is a breach of honor. And above mentioned males lacking identity aside, samsung copied so blatantly they should be embarrassed. But I doubt it has any chance legally.



    I include any fans or forum members as the general public... just meaning people who really don't have a clue as to what is really going on between Apple and Samsung. I was just positing the idea that if we can think then surely Apple can think it.
  • Reply 60 of 134
    sennensennen Posts: 1,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    Yep, you are right. I missed that. Today is National Coffee Day, and yet I made a mistake because I haven't have my coffee yet.



    My error. Apologies.



    No worries. Have and enjoy your coffee!
Sign In or Register to comment.