Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Before the patent battle between Apple and Samsung became a worldwide legal mess, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs reportedly initiated contact with Samsung in an attempt to resolve the issues out of court.

Jobs was said to have reached out to Samsung in July of 2010, initiating negotiations between Apple and Samsung, Apple attorneys told an Australian court this week. But Jobs was no longer involved once the actual talks over Samsung's Galaxy S smartphone began, according to Bloomberg.

"Samsung is an important supplier with whom we have a deep relationship," Apple patent attorney Richard Lutton reportedly said in court on Thursday. "We wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing."

Those negotiations proved unsuccessful, which led Apple to file a patent infringement suit against Samsung in April, accusing it of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad. Samsung quickly fired back with its own accusations, and the two companies are now involved in lawsuits that spread across four continents.

Based on the popularity of products like the iPhone and iPad, Apple is said to be the largest customer of rival Samsung, from which it buys components like chips and memory. Earlier this year it was estimated that Apple would buy some $7.8 billion in parts from Samsung.

But that number may have shifted as Apple looks elsewhere for components. For example, Apple is said to have inked a deal with another chipmaker, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., for new mobile processors that will power future iPhone and iPad models.

Earlier this month, it was also said that Apple has begun purchasing memory from Japan to reduce its reliance on Samsung. The iPhone maker has reportedly aligned with Toshiba and Elpida Memory for orders of DRAM and NAND flash.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs was said to have reached out to Samsung in July of 2010, initiating negotiations between Apple and Samsung, Apple attorneys told an Australian court this week.

I guess he made them an offer that he thought they couldn't refuse.

But they did anyways. Oops!
  • Reply 2 of 134
    Well think it makes sense for Apple to move away from Samsung or else Apple will be sorta of "funding" Samsung "photocopying machines" indirectly
  • Reply 3 of 134
    I wonder if this was the reason, at least in part, for the delayed release of the ip5.
  • Reply 4 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I guess he made them an offer that he thought they couldn't refuse.

But they did anyways. Oops!

More like Samsung shat all over Steve's olive branch.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    That Steve and his legal team issued a 'Cease and Desist' order and they ignored it...
  • Reply 6 of 134

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those negotiations proved unsuccessful, which led Apple to file a patent infringement suit against Samsung in April, accusing it of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.

Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.
  • Reply 7 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.

Imitation is flattery, they say. But Google and Android just took it one step too far and now are too heavily invested to back down.
  • Reply 8 of 134
    Quote:

There is an Android App Store. You can manage music by simply dragging and dropping files into the music folder. I agree the Samsung UI is hideous but give credit where its due. \
  • Reply 9 of 134
    I wonder if Samsung believed the iPhone GUI was okay to use because Google was behind it? Why should Apple sue Samsung when it is Google that created Android? Or do they sincerely believe there is no shame in blatantly copying another company's product?
  • Reply 10 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Imitation is flattery, they say. But Google and Android just took it one step too far and now are too heavily invested to back down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wonder if Samsung believed the iPhone GUI was okay to use because Google was behind it? Why should Apple sue Samsung when it is Google that created Android? Or do they sincerely believe there is no shame in blatantly copying another company's product?

That's touchwhiz (app drawer not homescreen) not Android thus Google is not to blame.

Android looks considerably different than iOS does. And the next version looks to differentiate even more for the few remaining idiots who seem to feel stock Android resembles iOS.

Note: I am not calling YOU an idiot in any way and apologize if you assumed such.
  • Reply 11 of 134
    Quote:

That image perpetuates a falsehood. The Samsung phone in its natural state, on the homescreen, looks nothing like an iphone and is being intentionally misrepresented here. Yes, the app tray looks nearly identical to the iPhone, but this is a continued, false representation otherwise.
  • Reply 12 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

That Steve and his legal team issued a 'Cease and Desist' order and they ignored it...

Steve and his legal team cannot issue a Cease and Desist order. A judge does that.
  • Reply 13 of 134
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

MMre Likely That Steve and his legal team issued a 'Cease and Desist' order and they ignored it...

I think I'll trust what was said in court over your idiotic comment.
  • Reply 14 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

There is an Android App Store. You can manage music by simply dragging and dropping files into the music folder. I agree the Samsung UI is hideous but give credit where its due. \

No, Samsung deserves no credit whatsoever, the Galaxy line of HW is an outright rip-off of Apple's products. Period.

Samsung apes Apple so it can trick Apple's customers into buying their knockoff - and that is just plain wrong. Customers want to purchase the Apple experience, not the Samsung knockoff experience and all it's work-arounds.

Again, Samsung's arrogance and disdain for the customers is just stunning.
  • Reply 15 of 134
    Quote:

I think that the people who buy a Samsung Android phone are aware that it will not work with iTunes. They do have an App store, just not the Apple iTunes App Store. The intuitiveness and elegance of iOS is a subjective description. Many folks actually LIKE Android...not me, but I know several who are die-hard Android fans.

Dial down the Apple fanboy-ness.
  • Reply 16 of 134
    1. A judge may issue a cease-and-desist order with the intent to halt an illegal activity

2. Many government administrative agencies also have the ability to issue cease-and-desist orders.

3. A cease-and-desist letter is a letter demanding that the recipient refrain from a certain behavior or face legal action.

Steve and his lawyers could have sent a cease-and-desist LETTER...not ORDER.
  • Reply 17 of 134
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    removed
  • Reply 18 of 134
    Quote:

No, Samsung deserves no credit whatsoever, the Galaxy line of HW is an outright rip-off of Apple's products. Period.

Samsung apes Apple so it can trick Apple's customers into buying their knockoff - and that is just plain wrong. Customers want to purchase the Apple experience, not the Samsung knockoff experience and all it's work-arounds.

Again, Samsung's arrogance and disdain for the customers is just stunning.

OMG. People are NOT BEING TRICKED into buying a Samsung phone thinking it is an Apple product.

1. The phones are not the same size as in the picture.

2. The Samsung phone has "Samsung" on the front.

3. The main OS on the Samsung doesn't look like iOS. Only the app drawer has a grid of icons.

4. People DO UNDERSTAND that these are not iPhones and many people WANT this phone.

I am sorry, I like my iPhone and Win7 phone, and will not use an Android phone...BUT come on...you sound like a broken record. That Samsung phone looks no more like an iPhone than the Honda Insight looks like the Prius. Similar, but not the same. Unfortunately for Honda, they chose to copy the Prius look hoping that people would believe that is what a Hybrid should look like. Sales figures show otherwise.

You really must have a very low opinion of the people (around the world) if you believe they are so stupid as to be duped into buying a Samsung, thinking it is an Apple product.
  • Reply 19 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Steve and his legal team cannot issue a Cease and Desist order. A judge does that.

OK...his legal team 'implied' that they would pursue a legal order. Shall we play word games? Apple's legal team quite often warns people of potential issues and kindly requests they refrain from a particular practice. My guess is that Samsung chose to ignore this suggestion ...
  • Reply 20 of 134
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,066member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

there is no shame in copying in the asian culture--i've said it here before.

asian students have a difficult time when they come here. the idea of 'plagiarism' is a hurdle for most of them.