Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't know why people keep saying Samsung copies Apple. For instance, what possible other interface could you use for a voice recorder app other than a big picture of a studio condenser mic? I mean, it's so obvious!

+1 Internets to you if you were sarcastic, which I'm assuming you were.
  • Reply 122 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't think the main problem is that some people think they're actually buying an iPhone - it's more that they look at the Samsung phone and think it's the same as an iPhone. And even more, salespeople are telling them that the Samsung phone is just about the same as an iPhone, and they can show them the screen to "prove" it.

I've had people ask me, who can I get an iPhone from? Some people don't think of them as smartphones, they think they are all "iPhones" of some sort, like Tupperware or Kleenex.
  • Reply 123 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I've had people ask me, who can I get an iPhone from? Some people don't think of them as smartphones, they think they are all "iPhones" of some sort, like Tupperware or Kleenex.

people called my Nexus One and G1 (ugly ugly ugly, thank GOD for the dev community) iPhones knowing they weren't iPhones...just like people called my T-mobile Dash a blackberry.

It is not the companies fault when the consumers colloquialize (TM) a specific item as the norm for those types of phones.
  • Reply 124 of 134
    Where do you guys get this stuff? I know a person who thinks every smart phone is an iPhone. If you are that dumb, you couldnt use one anyway.
  • Reply 125 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

+1 Internets to you if you were sarcastic, which I'm assuming you were.

All Samsung does is copy. Why are they stealing Apple's original ideas like a voice recorder with a picture of a microphone. Or a email icon with an envelope. Apple worked for years to come up with these designs and Samsung is just stealing them. Next thing you know they will steal Apples use of rectangular shape for an LCD screen. Couldn't they come up with an original idea like an octagonal screen instead of stealing Apple's design?
  • Reply 126 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And the Samsung guy said to Jobs...

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master!"

"Only a master of evil."
  • Reply 127 of 134
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Interesting indeed, and coming from Apple's own counsel no less.

Also from the article:

So it seems all the noise here about "Samsung being banned in AU" isn't really what's been happening there at all. If this article is correct, only a single product is being pursued for injunction, the injunction itself is only temporary, and it hasn't even gone into effect yet.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is not available in Australia, there was a Russian guy doing grey imports (along with iPads and other things), it has now vanished from the site.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/categor...ops-tablet-pc/
  • Reply 128 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Only a master of evil."

Samsung =\\= Google
  • Reply 129 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is not available in Australia, there was a Russian guy doing grey imports (along with iPads and other things), it has now vanished from the site.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/categor...ops-tablet-pc/

Really????

http://www.expansys.com.au/s.aspx?se...partner=banner
  • Reply 130 of 134
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 131 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.

how about looking at real pictures at least....

i personally prefer iOS to android, having used both.

i also KNOW (as do many other people) that you can get music and apps from music/app store....

as well, the Android UI looked and felt fine (though i used higher end hardware) when I used it.

i think my bottom line is "i enjoy using iOS more, however, Apple has indeed taken ideas from Android, as well as Cydia, i don't care if you accuse something of copying iPhone, JUST HAVE A REAL FREAKING PICTURE"

i mean look (don't want to insert images due to size of possible post):

first tablet

ipad

... if u used photoshop, etc i could make them fit side by side, looking close to the same.

oh no... Apple's copying IBM's looks! (not that the case would work given iPad came 20ish years later, and the 700t didn't sell anywhere close to iPad's #s)
  • Reply 132 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

All Samsung does is copy. Why are they stealing Apple's original ideas like a voice recorder with a picture of a microphone. Or a email icon with an envelope. Apple worked for years to come up with these designs and Samsung is just stealing them. Next thing you know they will steal Apples use of rectangular shape for an LCD screen. Couldn't they come up with an original idea like an octagonal screen instead of stealing Apple's design?

Yep, pretty much my point, thanks for volunteering from the audience to act as foil.

The idea that a huge image of a studio condenser mic is somehow obvious and inevitable is typical of the Android apologist mindset, but it's ludicrous on the face of it. This constant after the fact analysis that turns every Apple design decision into a fait accompli is moronic.

What would be more impressive would be if someone could predict the "obvious" look and feel for something Apple hasn't done yet. Shouldn't be too hard-- for instance we haven't actually seen Apple's rumored voice control UI, there's only been a general description. Whatever they do, it's going to be super obvious and the only possible way of approaching such a thing (which is why if Samsung does something similar it will be stupid to imagine that they're slavishly copying) so what is it? Come on, it's obvious!
  • Reply 133 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skateni View Post

Well think it makes sense for Apple to move away from Samsung or else Apple will be sorta of "funding" Samsung "photocopying machines" indirectly

It's also very unlikely that Apple will be able to distance away from Samsung's NAND flash or display panel. Apple really needs Samsung's technology and manufacturing. There simply aren't that many big / reliable suppliers able to meet Apple's demand.

Samsung control nearly 40% of NAND flash chips used in mobile devices. Toshiba, maker of laptops and tablets, has 30% (isn't exactly a friend of Apple). Apple buys 60% of NAND flash chips produced worldwide and the demand for Samsung's flash is still growing.

Also remember, as recent as August, Apple had to ask Samsung to produce iPad2 display b/c of production problems at LG.
  • Reply 134 of 134
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

people called my Nexus One and G1 (ugly ugly ugly, thank GOD for the dev community) iPhones knowing they weren't iPhones...just like people called my T-mobile Dash a blackberry.

It is not the companies fault when the consumers colloquialize (TM) a specific item as the norm for those types of phones.

Apple should start referring to it as "The iPhone Brand Smartphone" if it truly wants to protect its IP.