Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 192
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As someone already stated, it will not work with any of the current Apple products no matter if you use iOS5. It's unique to the upcoming iPhone 4s.

Yes. But will it work with the iPhone 4?
  • Reply 22 of 192
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The iPhone 4S might have more RAM - I don't think they said either way, but voice recognition is RAM intensive. I'd also imagine the 4S has a better mic system with noise cancellation, etc. Of course, it could be Apple is making it 4S exclusive for purely marketing purposes.

If that's the case, I hope that teaches the apologists who were saying the iPad's RAM stinginess was no big deal. It might not make a big difference at the time, but it often leads to quick obsolescence.
  • Reply 23 of 192
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I was really hoping for a smaller, cooler looking iPhone to mitigate the fact that it's already more than powerful enough for most peoples needs.

Funny you should say that it's already powerful enough. The rest of the internet is crying because twice as fast isn't good enough.
  • Reply 24 of 192
    Yet another reason to jailbreak my 3-month old iPhone 4. I would like to be able to dictate my text messages while driving

(Oh and FaceTime over 3G)
  • Reply 25 of 192
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple should let people chose what their personal assistant looks like and how they speak.

Let's say that I don't like the voice in the demo, and I'd rather have a 19 year old redhead with an English accent to be my personal assistant. I should be able to input those preferences and the voice and tone will adjust accordingly to suit my needs.

Let's say that I want a hot looking African American chick, who is 25 year olds as an assistant the next day. Again, I should be able to input that data, and the voice should adapt to that, changing in accent, timbre and tone.

What if some chick wants a male assistant?

It's still in Beta, so in the future, I expect to see these options included.
  • Reply 26 of 192
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    After reading through the comments on AI, BBC and other sites it appears that the main issue that the posters have is that it looks identical to the iPhone 4. Now, this won't matter two hoots to joe public (thats the 19 or so million who bought the iPhone 4 last quarter) but to the tech savvy it appears that you need new devices to look different for poser value.

You can't pull out your new shiny toy to pose with/show off, if it looks like last years model.

Back to Siri. If it works as well as it appears on the BBC video then it will be great using it whilst driving, no more near misses whilst texting (not that I would do such a thing).

One thing that will be a good indicator of future sales will be the Apple quarterly report this month. With news going round that a new iPhone is coming sales should be well down. If, however, sales have not dropped dramatically then the iPhone 4S, 4 and 3G will continue to sell due to the fact that the people buying them obviously have no interest in the internet tech sites and could care less about new technology.
  • Reply 27 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I have absolutely NO desire to talk to my phone...

Because who in the world would want to talk into a phone, right? I mean, that would just be weird... talking into a phone. Who does that?
  • Reply 28 of 192
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A final segment in the video depicts Siri's integration with iOS accessibility features, showing a bind user getting a verbal text notification that she can then respond to and send entirely by voice commands.

really?
  • Reply 29 of 192
    Jesus, scanning through these messages and what a bunch of ungrateful vitriol. You'd think Apple just pissed in your Cornflakes.
  • Reply 30 of 192
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As someone already stated, it will not work with any of the current Apple products no matter if you use iOS5. It's unique to the upcoming iPhone 4s.

The feature is obviously unique to the new phone; the question was why? Is it simply an effort on Apple's part to differentiate hardware, or is there a legit technical reason? I'd like to know. I was looking forward to better voice control in iOS 5, and am disappointed that it will not be available.
  • Reply 31 of 192
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Whatever happened to supporting the previous two devices?

This is not fragmentation it's segregation.
  • Reply 32 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should let people chose what their personal assistant looks like and how they speak.

"Looks like"?

I'd love to at least have Alex be the voice instead of the woman that Windows users of the iPod shuffle get. That's insane.

Heck, I'd love to just have the NUANCE VOICES be selectable. Yes, one would take up a gigabyte. I don't care, Apple. Tell me that and let me decide for myself how I get to use my space.

And why, if the 3rd gen iPod shuffle can handle voice recognition onboard, does Siri REQUIRE an Internet connection?

LET ME CHOOSE whether I want to do it that way or want to fill my device with the software required to do the translation of my voice.
  • Reply 33 of 192
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Because who in the world would want to talk into a phone, right? I mean, that would just be weird... talking into a phone. Who does that?

Canucklehead- do you know the difference between "to" and "into"? There are free dictionary apps available you know- just saying.
  • Reply 34 of 192
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

The iPhone 4S might have more RAM - I don't think they said either way, but voice recognition is RAM intensive. I'd also imagine the 4S has a better mic system with noise cancellation, etc. Of course, it could be Apple is making it 4S exclusive for purely marketing purposes.

Same amount of RAM 512MB

See CPU & Memory column.

/

/

/
  • Reply 35 of 192
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Same amount of RAM 512MB

See CPU & Memory column.

/

/

/

That's just a guess by AI, Apple has not specified that. We'll have to wait for teardowns to know.
  • Reply 36 of 192
    mwrmwr Posts: 2member
    Quote:

I have absolutely NO desire to talk to my phone (been there done that) nor my computer. I expect it to read my thoughts.

I do have a desire to browse the Internet on my flat screen TV on my wall which however ATV will not allow.

Neither do I (except in the conventional sense of course), but my wife does.

She wants it to read to her, help her send messages, find answers on the Internet for her, and many more things she can't currently easily do with her phone. That's because she's blind.

If this things works as advertised, it truly could be a life changer for some people. Apple deserves nothing but kudos for that.
  • Reply 37 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

That's just a guess by AI, Apple has not specified that. We'll have to wait for teardowns to know.

I doubt that it will have more RAM than the iPad 2, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly underclocked.
  • Reply 38 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Looks like"?

Well, I just meant that a sexy voice is going to be associated with belonging to somebody who looks sexy, even though that's not necessarily the case.
  • Reply 39 of 192
    Quote:

Canucklehead- do you know the difference between "to" and "into"? There are free dictionary apps available you know- just saying.

I do understand the difference. The thing is, I submit that anyone who talks "to" their phone has a few screws loose. Sane people only ever talk "into" their phones. Semantics aside, it was a joke. Chill.
  • Reply 40 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I just meant that a sexy voice is going to be associated with belonging to somebody who looks sexy, even though that's not necessarily the case.

As much as I enjoy the feel of anodized aluminum, I'm certain I'd ever consider my computer 'sexy', even if I had a voice-recognition system of the voice of the woman I love installed.