Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I do understand the difference. The thing is, I submit that anyone who talks "to" their phone has a few screws loose. Sane people only ever talk "into" their phones. Semantics aside, it was a joke. Chill.

Why should a phone (or any device) be limited to channeling speech between 2 (or more) people?

What if you are driving, jogging, rock climbing, handicapped... and the person you want to speak with is unavailable?

Wouldn't you want to be able to communicate with that person by sending a text, email, voice mail?

Wouldn't you want to be able to use the power of an intelligent system (hardware/software) to help you accomplish what you want to do?

How is that any different than a singer using a microphone or a firefighter using a bullhorn to amply their voice to help accomplish what they are trying to do?

Have a look at this... maybe it will expand your perspectives:

Introduction Video to Proloquo2Go

This is an example of people who cannot talk, using a device to help them communicate.

A similar need exists for those who can speak but not use their hands -- the late Christopher Reeve, (the actor who played Superman) for example:

Christopher Reeve talks about his wheelchair.

Back in the early days, we delivered an Apple-furnished Apple ][ to a 12-year-old boy who was a quadriplegic. He used a special mechanism that allowed him to press a key on the keyboard by blowing through a tube. What an experience to see the sense of accomplishment and pride. David could speak -- but there were no devices that could translate his voice into action.

A few years later there was this blind teenage girl who was able to program her Apple ][ using a special Braille tablet device. Voice interaction would have made her life so much easier....
  • Reply 182 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...Siri didn't work worth a crap anyway, so no loss.

You're judging the version in 4s based on what you saw on the other hardware. That's a perfect example of why Apple would want to shut down the old version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Pardon the skepticism, but Siri gained little traction as a free app, with good but imperfect speech-to-text and content that was only as good as its web-based partners. Apple integrating it system-wide is neat, but hardly "promises to change how users interact with mobile devices" unless Apple has found a way to make voice dictation flawless.

From what people who have tested it hands on have reported, the voice dictation is pretty much flawless on the 4s - there have been multiple reports saying specifically that they went out of their way to try and trick it but couldn't. If the previous version was "imperfect" (and it has been reported that the devs said the original had to cut corners due to lack of processing power) but the update makes a big improvement on that, isn't that a pretty good case for Apple limiting it to the new hardware and disabling the old version?

But when it's released in a couple weeks we'll all be able to see how it really works instead of jumping to conclusions about something none of us have seen.
  • Reply 183 of 192
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I operate on a higher level than most posters.

If that were the case then you wouldn't have posted this. Perhaps you mean you operate not on a higher, but a different level.
  • Reply 184 of 192
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Really interested to see where this technology will be in five years. Am pretty excited about it now, though, as most imagined instances of use (for me) would be under ideal conditions.

What I would love to see in 5 years time is for this to be fully integrated in all Apple devices. I could see a system where your iPad, AppleTV, etc. are all fully linked and voice activated/accessible. You could wake up in the morning and grab your phone off the nightstand and say "Turn on TV to Fox News, and bring up AppleInsider, calendar, weather and traffic on my computer." If X10 technology would keep up and be affordable you could also finish that off with, "Start the coffee".

For the gamers out there, how about something like, "Login to World of Warcraft as Bloviator".

The combination of Siri and iCloud seems to really lend itself to some truly amazing possibilities. This could also be a serious boon for the home automation industry as it can provide that ultimate interface to controlling the house. Being able to do things like change the thermostat, turn on the hot tub, turn on/off lighting all with natural voice commands is pretty awesome.

One cool thing I thought of yesterday was with the Find my Friends feature being able to do things like "When will my wife be home" if you know that she is on the way. Or where is "little Johnny" at now. Or remind husband to drop off dry cleaning on the way home. Of course, some of this could be used for less than honorable purposes, but...
  • Reply 185 of 192
    I have seen speculation that the code for Siri is not going to even be compiled for the non a5 version of the os, so it is possible there will be no way to activate it. With a new processor tied into the Siri introduction it would be easy for them to prevent access on a iphone4.
  • Reply 186 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marksman View Post

I have seen speculation that the code for Siri is not going to even be compiled for the non a5 version of the os, so it is possible there will be no way to activate it. With a new processor tied into the Siri introduction it would be easy for them to prevent access on a iphone4.

They talked up some new feature in the A5 during the event and I suppose those features are already in the A5 for the iPad 2, but they did make it seem as though they were new to the iPhone 4S. I suppose looking at the other data on the A5 after the iFixit teardown or the Xray could be helpful, but I'm guessing the iPad 2 won't even get Siri.
  • Reply 187 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If Apple ever planned to create a version of iOS for automobiles I think Siri is an ideal tech to make it a must have feature for an Internet-connected vehicle.
  • Reply 188 of 192
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I doubt that it will have more RAM than the iPad 2, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly underclocked.

When the last iPhone was released, it had more ram then the iPad at the time. Do you have reason to doubt that this isn't the case again?
  • Reply 189 of 192
    grmacgrmac Posts: 67member
    I haven't used the previous Siri app, but I'm wondering... to really enjoy the feature on the 4S, won't we need location services enabled all the time?

The battery life improvement might come in handy... or at the very least, a quicker way to toggle LS.

Will Siri toggle it automatically, or have that option?

Of course, I could just wait until Friday to find out...
  • Reply 190 of 192
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I bet the iPhone 4S has the WORST sales of any iPhone so far. Everyone will hold out for the iPhone 5. 3G owners will pickup a $99 iPhone 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Noted.

Well, that didn't take long, did it? Record breaking pre-orders, by a huge margin. Thanks for playing.
  • Reply 191 of 192
    I have seen the commercials for the new Siri assistant on the iPhone 4s. It looks interesting but guess I have to wait till next year when my iPhone4 contract is up. At least I can use Dragon Go! on my iPhone 4 and it works pretty well. Best part is that it is free.
  • Reply 192 of 192
    Ipod was launched in a low key event and was dismissed by many, yet it led Apple into the new decade. Siri was launched in a low key event and dismissed by many and yet it will lead Apple in this decade. As significant as some think Siri is, it's actually far more significant than you think.

"pick up the reciever, i will make you a believer"