Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 81 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Is it outdoors as in a city? On a windy day?

With an ambulance passing? Or a fire engine?

Nor will it work if you're on a plane plunging into a volcano during a hurricane and your battery is low and the passengers are screaming for their lives.
  • Reply 82 of 192
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Apple is disabling a paid for app on Oct. 15th? I would raise hell if I bought an app and Apple disabled it because it's a feature of a new hardware release. That's just bullshit. They'd better issue refunds!
  • Reply 83 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that a serious comment or a joke?

Well they did do it with MMS on the original iPhone even though it had the exact same proc and memory as the 3G did....so no, it's not really that far of a stretch.
  • Reply 84 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Apple is disabling a paid for app on Oct. 15th? I would raise hell if I bought an app and Apple disabled it because it's a feature of a new hardware release. That's just bullshit. They'd better issue refunds!

• Reply 85 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You ever heard of faster CPUs? Of course it may 'work' on less powerful CPUs but if it crawls then the user is going to bitch. Kind of like Vista on most PCs when it came out.

You seriously think voice dictation requires a dual core at any clock speed? This is incredibly simple.

You also didn't read the first part of my post. Obviously it's Apple's stance to push out new software to old devices. Look how they ruined the iphone 3G. Every single person who currently owns it will complain about it.

The thing is, everyone KNEW that it couldn't handle it.

Siri on the other hand, is a joke. This would take absolutely no CPU.

you people...
  • Reply 86 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Siri on the other hand, is a joke. This would take absolutely no CPU.

I'd love to see you put your money where your 'shrooms are.
  • Reply 87 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd love to see you put your money where your 'shrooms are.

Voice search.... on any device... takes no processing power
  • Reply 88 of 192
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

That's just a guess by AI, Apple has not specified that. We'll have to wait for teardowns to know.

Go to Apples web site they have the specification for the iPad and iPhone 4s there.
  • Reply 89 of 192
    Quote:

Ah, good. Clears that up, then. You're COMPLETELY full of it, not just wrong by a little bit or a technicality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

Go to Apples web site they have the specification for the iPad and iPhone 4s there.

And if you'd read the post to which he's replying, you'd see what that doesn't help at all.
  • Reply 90 of 192
    Quote:

I'm sorry, what's the problem? If I pay for an app, I expect it to work, not be taken away from me because Apple decided that I bought an app they no longer want me to use. That's bullshit. Should they also disable photo apps that duplicate the functions of the built in camera? What if they decided their new HDR process was superior and yanked and disabled HDR apps in the app store? What if they decide to add panorama functionality into the app store, should they yank and disable apps that do that too?

EDIT: Doh! I see now that the app was free, but disabling it is still effed up. Not only will it be disabled, you can't redownload the app anymore. That's completely against the whole iCloud thing and redownloading apps you've already gotten before.
  • Reply 91 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You are claiming that speaking into a microphone and having your speech analysed to find the correct word and usage to be displayed in text to then execute a specific command "takes no processing power." Do you realize how fucking dumb that sounds?
  • Reply 92 of 192
    So, it looks like AT&T is threatening NOT to have upgrade pricing again this year. I have an iPhone 4 I bought on release day, and another about 8 months old. Neither is "upgradable" until mid-November and when they are, one will cost $549 to upgrade and $749 for the other. WTH ATT. I get you need to recoup some cost, but you charge me out the yahoo already.
  • Reply 93 of 192
    Quote:

Not only will it be disabled, you can't redownload the app anymore. That's completely against the whole iCloud thing and redownloading apps you've already gotten before.

Hey, I paid for iDOS and I'll never be able to redownload it. I'm not complaining; it lets me run Windows 95 on my iPad, so I can't see Apple letting me get that back if I accidentally delete it.
  • Reply 94 of 192
    Shouldn't stop feeding the trolls? Let them suffer on android phones.

To the trolls. You are right. Apple sucks. What ever it is you think is better, you're right. We are stupid. You are right. Enjoy the alternatives from the companies that are not evil.
  • Reply 95 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are claiming that speaking into a microphone and having your speech analysed to find the correct word and usage to be displayed in text to then execute a specific command "takes no processing power." Do you realize how fucking dumb that sounds?

Voice is processed off-site. All it is receiving is the text to be read aloud to you, and the app launch command from the server.

Yes. takes no processing power. Unless it is very poorly coded and bloated. Now I know that you of all people will be #1 in line to buy the 4S, but getting back to my point. Think of the other iphone 4 users that are out there that won't be upgrading simply because the iphone 4S doesn't have much more to offer to make them upgrade. They however probably wouldn't mind the software update to let them access these features.
  • Reply 96 of 192
    Quote:

Hey, I paid for iDOS and I'll never be able to redownload it. I'm not complaining; it lets me run Windows 95 on my iPad, so I can't see Apple letting me get that back if I accidentally delete it.

They are disabling an app for no real reason on hardware that has nothing to do with a new release. There's no justifiable reason to disable that app other than to promote new hardware. Not because it was buggy, not because they are selling it and no one is buying it. They are disabling a functioning app to force people to buy new hardware if they want that function back. They already have it on the hardware they already own. This isn't the first time they've disabled an apps functionality to use as their own. Yes they bought Siri, but they blatantly stole the volume shutter button from Camera+. Didn't even give them credit for it either. LAME.
  • Reply 97 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Shouldn't stop feeding the trolls? Let them suffer on android phones.

To the trolls. You are right. Apple sucks. What ever it is you think is better, you're right. We are stupid. You are right. Enjoy the alternatives from the companies that are not evil.

Nobody said it SUCKS. Just didn't live up to half the hype and disappointed a ton of people. Everyone else is very satisfied their iphone 4 and this is not enough of an incentive for people to upgrade.

This is a good upgrade for an Apple fan if you have a 3GS
  • Reply 98 of 192
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Now we just need Majel Barrett to provide the voice...

This is the standout feature for certain. It appears to genuinely work. If it does, it's a breakthrough and will actually impact directly on the way you use your phone. It is perfect for drivers and the blind.

Apple don't get enough credit for how much they do for those with a disability. This could change lives for some people.
  • Reply 99 of 192
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Nobody said it SUCKS. Just didn't live up to half the hype and disappointed a ton of people. Everyone else is very satisfied their iphone 4 and this is not enough of an incentive for people to upgrade.

This is a good upgrade for an Apple fan if you have a 3GS

Link us up with some Apple hype please?
  • Reply 100 of 192
    Quote:

There's no justifiable reason to disable that app other than to promote new hardware.

Ah. There's the reason, then.

Also, they're in charge, so if you feel you think you can do something about it, go right ahead.

Quote:

they blatantly stole the volume shutter button from Camera+. Didn't even give them credit for it either. LAME.

So that couldn't possibly have been in the works before that app existed. Obviously.