Siri voice assistant technology distinguishes iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 61 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I do joke more often than not but in this case I'm dead ass serious. I could understand the 3GS not being able to use Siri but to exclude the iPhone 4 is downright f'd up. If Android had released Siri and only devices with a 1Gz processor or better than that would only include most devices made in the last 20 months, but Apple has put up the "iPhone 4S only" sign, so yes its segregation.

It's integration. This isn't the same Siri app that was on the App Store or for Android. If you can argue that because it has the same name that it should work across devices that also used it under that name, but that wouldn't make any sense. Did you not read the article about the issues they had getting it to work on the iPhone 3GS at all?
  • Reply 62 of 192
    Siri is only available on the iPhone 4S, and probably will be integrated into the iPad 3 like FaceTime was at first exclusive, then integrated. It's a selling point so the 4S has to have it exclusively for a while, and then it will be a less major feature of future devices.
  • Reply 63 of 192
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would imagine it will work very well. Generally when Apple rolls out a new feature it works as it's intended. I was going to type "works as advertised", but that's often a bit over the top no matter who's product is being pushed, even Apple's.

Having said that, the feature sounds and looks pretty cool, but using it in public? Perhaps not so much. Talking to my GPS, Ford Sync or phone in the privacy of my truck or maybe at home is fine. Not going to happen at work or in other public places. Just kinda dorky IMO.

We all already talk to the phone in public. Some people even wear those dumb bluetooth ear pieces. What's the difference if you're talking to a person or a computer? People just aren't used to talking to devices and getting real results. Once the tech comes along, people will be more inclined to do it.
  • Reply 64 of 192
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

After reading through the comments on AI, BBC and other sites it appears that the main issue that the posters have is that it looks identical to the iPhone 4. Now, this won't matter two hoots to joe public (thats the 19 or so million who bought the iPhone 4 last quarter) but to the tech savvy it appears that you need new devices to look different for poser value.

It is funny, for years the anti-Apple crowd was fine with an identical beige box year after year as long as it had the same bluescreen when it crashed. Now suddenly every phone released must be different or it is worthless!

...yet they buy Android phones that are all made to look just like this worthless iPhone.

I can't keep up with the mental gymnastics!
  • Reply 65 of 192
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As much as I enjoy the feel of anodized aluminum, I'm certain I'd ever consider my computer 'sexy', even if I had a voice-recognition system of the voice of the woman I love installed.

I think I see your problem. You just need to be shallower.

Work on that please.
  • Reply 66 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I do joke more often than not but in this case I'm dead ass serious. I could understand the 3GS not being able to use Siri but to exclude the iPhone 4 is downright f'd up. If Android had released Siri and only devices with a 1Gz processor or better than that would only include most devices made in the last 20 months, but Apple has put up the "iPhone 4S only" sign, so yes its segregation.

Could be hardware... maybe the A5 has a dedicated DSP that they are using for voice recognition? Would it be so hard to believe - after all the A5 does have a dedicated ISP for facial recognition and other image processing.

This happens a lot in product lines though... the use of software to distinguish premium products over their lower priced counterparts.
  • Reply 67 of 192
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

We all already talk to the phone in public. Some people even wear those dumb bluetooth ear pieces. What's the difference if you're talking to a person or a computer? People just aren't used to talking to devices and getting real results. Once the tech comes along, people will be more inclined to do it.

Use it if you're comfortable with it. I wouldn't be. The "earpiece" guys look silly as heck already talking into the air. When I was a kid the cat lady next door did that. Some things are just better kept to yourself IMO.
  • Reply 68 of 192
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If you already have an iPhone 4, this upgrade isn't meant for you. It is for all of the iPhone 3 and 3GS (like me) hold outs. Which in that case, the iPhone 4S represents a significant upgrade from my iPhone 3GS.

And it'll be for users like me making the leap from a crappy, middling non-iPhone. In my case, the LG Optimus V (VirginMobile). While it's a decent looking phone, it often doesn't work as intended and the Android ecosystem pales in comparison to iOS; at least on my iPod Touch. With the upgrade to iOS 5, the upgrade to iPhone 4S and iCloud integration, I will probably/finally make the jump to the iPhone.
  • Reply 69 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is highly unusual for Apple: they're referring to Siri Assistant as a Beta application

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/04/how-is...internal-docs/

Yes... they said they want to offer it in more languages and with more services, until then... it's beta. They probably want to test server load as well.
  • Reply 70 of 192
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Could be hardware... maybe the A5 has a dedicated DSP that they are using for voice recognition? Would it be so hard to believe - after all the A5 does have a dedicated ISP for facial recognition and other image processing.

This happens a lot in product lines though... the use of software to distinguish premium products over their lower priced counterparts.

But that has never been Apple's MO
  • Reply 71 of 192
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's acquisition of Siri has resulted in a standout feature for iPhone 4S that promises to change how users interact with mobile devices.

Until it's hacked to run on the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 72 of 192
    Quote:

Yes... they said they want to offer it in more languages and with more services, until then... it's beta. They probably want to test server load as well.

Plus it's not like they haven't released something a beta before (see FaceTime for the Mac)
  • Reply 73 of 192
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

I think I see your problem. You just need to be shallower.

Work on that please.

Well, looking for a strong-willed, intelligent, slightly reserved woman certainly hasn't worked so far, so I may as well go after someone who values the size of her breasts over the measure of her accomplishments.

Except that kind of woman doesn't appeal to me…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And iPad, like the original set of voice controls.
  • Reply 74 of 192
    Glad Apple is finally getting this 14 months after Android. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbYVvU0Z5s

At least it seems to be integrated nicely and throughout most of the OS. It was probably the biggest change from the iphone 4.

although I don't see why this wouldn't be able to run on any iphone 4. Knowing Apple, they reserved this just for the 4S to give you SOME reason to upgrade
  • Reply 75 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Hacked in the key word here. I'm sure it will technically "work" but you have to ask yourself if it will work well. I bet you could also get it to work on even older iPhones. You might think the best strategy is to throw every and all features at a product is the best policy regardless of how it affects the user experience, but Apple doesn't, and their returning customers appreciate that effort.
  • Reply 76 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hacked in the key word here. I'm sure it will technically "work" but you have to ask yourself if it will work well. I bet you could also get it to work on even older iPhones. You might think the best strategy is to throw every and all features at a product is the best policy regardless of how it affects the user experience, but Apple doesn't, and their returning customers appreciate that effort.

Ha. This is the same apple that forced ios4 upon the original 3g right? That update instantly ruined every 3g device out there making them perform like sh!t.

Are you implying that the iphone 4 wouldn't be able to run this?

it's all marketing
  • Reply 77 of 192
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

It better work as shown in the videos or Apple (and it) will become the butt of many, many jokes...

Siri has always worked. It wasn't embedded in the OS then though. Now it will only work on powerful enough iPhones ... sadly. However what about a version for iPad 2, I know they can't make calls but can do the rest, I missed if it would be available for iPads... I better go read up
  • Reply 78 of 192
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Ha. This is the same apple that forced ios4 upon the original 3g right? That update instantly ruined every 3g device out there making them perform like sh!t.

it's all marketing

You ever heard of faster CPUs? Of course it may 'work' on less powerful CPUs but if it crawls then the user is going to bitch. Kind of like Vista on most PCs when it came out.
  • Reply 79 of 192
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Looks like this is Apple's response to google voice actions. Should be interesting to see how they improve upon it and how google responds to this.

the biggest issue with voice actions was its network dependence; everything was done on google's end, so no data/reception meant it didn't work at all. I wonder how much of Siri is done locally.

the TTS voice sounds pretty decent too. Although I don't think I would want my messages read aloud to me; especially in public. I'm not a fan of trying to make the phone respond like a human tho; it kind of amplifies the awkwardness of it. (eg. I would much prefer it to just say "processing" or "loading" instead of "let me think...")
  • Reply 80 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

it's all marketing

The Siri co-founder seems a hell of a lot more believable than you and your troll posts do.
    Note the iPhone 4S processor over the iPhone 4's is considerably more advanced than the iPhone 4 processor over the iPHone 3GS's.