US judge says Samsung tablets unlikely to attract Apple's customers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

What I'm doing is comparing Korea Now with Most of the Rest of the World Now and seeing a Korea that continues to be hostile to most foreigners who try to do business there and make a return on their investment.

Yes the Japanese are also very protectionist but just because they are doesn't mean Koreans are not. Why the continuous diversions?

When I try to compare Korea to Germany or Japan or the rest of the world you accuse me of making "continous diversions." But when you give examples comparing Korea Now with Most of the Rest of the World Now you're just making a fair and balanced point.

Do you know how to debate? Which news channel do you watch religiously? I think I know.

Again, I've debated people who like to say, "you're continually making diversions," or "that's off topic" when the counterargument thrown at them doesn't jibe with their prepared response.
  • Reply 102 of 176
    Quote:

Even GM Korea (itself a third-owned by the Korea Development Bank) has a market share in Korea of less than 10%, despite having the factories right on the ground.

Did it ever occur to you that GM Korea under GM management could have been been badly mismanaged? Do you truly know the whole story behind their poor performance in Korea? You believe GM has able and talented managers who would never need, god forbid, a U.S. government bailout?

I won't go into too much detail because you have a tendency of discrediting any facts I state if they don't have those cute web links right below them. But GM Korea closed down all their dealerships in Korea. That's right. They shredded the dealership contracts with Koreans and said they would start with a fresh clean slate and recruit new dealers. What a great way to run a business. Slash and burn.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Have you ever driven a car in Seoul? Obviously, you haven't. Try driving through a paved side road (golmokgil) in Gangbuk and even Gangnam for that matter. You'll get into some tight places where you can get jammed all by yourself without any incoming traffic. So you won't see a Mercedes S-Class limousine or a Bentley or a Rolls driving through a side road in Korea. Don't even think about making a P-turn in a Chevy Suburban in Gangbuk. You'll be stuck forever.

HAHAHA, it got even better while I was out. Thanks man. So NOW you're saying that the majority of Koreans live on side streets that are inaccessible by pretty much any foreign vehicle, but are magically accessible by any Korean car!? What happened to all those 20 story apartment buildings and how are furniture deliveries, etc. made, by ox-cart?

But that's not all folks, according to eric475, westerners tend to mostly drive Rolls Royces and Bentleys! What exactly is the width difference between all Korean cars and all foreign cars? Feel free to ignore that question too.

You remind me of the doctor I once saw in Seoul who said that Koreans can't contract HIV because they eat kimchee, or Koreans who insist that you can't put the fan on at night in your room because it'll kill you, or Koreans saying their country is unique because "Korea has four distinct seasons", blah blah blah. But I never heard the "Koreans buy mostly Korean cars because our roads are narrower than all other roads in the world" I do love these tales...

KEEP 'EM COMING, THIS IS GREAT STUFF!
  • Reply 104 of 176
    Quote:

Again, I've debated people who like to say, "you're continually making diversions," or "that's off topic" when the counterargument thrown at them doesn't jibe with their prepared response.

Uh-huh, and that's obviously done wonders for your sense of logic. Seems like my remarks about Korean universities hit a raw nerve. Sorry, but there are reasons why they rank so low and why Koreans will save everything to try to get a real education in some other country. I'll leave you to figure out what some of those reasons might be.
  • Reply 105 of 176
    Quote:

Uh-huh, and that's obviously done wonders for your sense of logic. Seems like my remarks about Korean universities hit a raw nerve. Sorry, but there are reasons why they rank so low and why Koreans will save everything to try to get a real education in some other country. I'll leave you to figure out what some of those reasons might be.

I'm glad you mentioned Korean universities because at last, we agree on one thing, which is, the abysmal state of higher education in Korea. How lamentable. Korea could do so much better by hiring Harvard MBA grads and other grads from the top MBA schools in the US. Yes, they might run the economy to the ground with "innovative" financial instruments like derivatives, credit default swaps, and CDOs every now and then but that's alright. They're smart. The government will bail them out anyway. Those 99 percenters occupying Wall Street can go piss in their pants.

And Harvard Law School should be a model for all Korean law schools. Forget tort reform. Yes, America has the best legal system in the world bar none. It should be a model for every Asian country. You sue me, I sue you. That's the way to do it. You betcha!
  • Reply 106 of 176
    Quote:

HAHAHA, it got even better while I was out. Thanks man. So NOW you're saying that the majority of Koreans live on side streets that are inaccessible by pretty much any foreign vehicle, but are magically accessible by any Korean car!? What happened to all those 20 story apartment buildings and how are furniture deliveries, etc. made, by ox-cart?

But that's not all folks, according to eric475, westerners tend to mostly drive Rolls Royces and Bentleys! What exactly is the width difference between all Korean cars and all foreign cars? Feel free to ignore that question too.

You remind me of the doctor I once saw in Seoul who said that Koreans can't contract HIV because they eat kimchee, or Koreans who insist that you can't put the fan on at night in your room because it'll kill you, or Koreans saying their country is unique because "Korea has four distinct seasons", blah blah blah. But I never heard the "Koreans buy mostly Korean cars because our roads are narrower than all other roads in the world" I do love these tales...

You remind me of Sarah Palin whom I watched doing an interview with Katie Couric.

You can't get a car as big as a Mercedes limo or a Chevy Suburban or a Rolls though quite a few side roads in Seoul. I stand by my statement. I wish you'd just look up the street view on map.daum.net and see for yourself. Is your Google search engine working now?
  • Reply 107 of 176
    Quote:

You say things that are pretty dated. You think an MBA degree from a top US school will get you a good-paying job here or even in America these days? Do you realize how times have changed so fast in just a year or two? And Korea is no slouch in keeping pace with the world.
  • Reply 108 of 176
    Quote:

You say things that are pretty dated. You think an MBA degree from a top US school will get you a good-paying job here or even in America these days? Do you realize how times have changed so fast in just a year or two? And Korea is no slouch in keeping pace with the world.

And an MBA from a Korean university will get you....?

Sorry to shatter your illusions but the rest of the world either doesn't agree (or simply doesn't know enough to care). Here's another "cute" link from some "misinformed source" about Korea and how it "keeps pace with the world" http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...2/top-400.html It's "dated" too, and that date is 2011-2012. Enjoy.

In a similar and somewhat related vein we can predict that whatever comes out of Apple's R&D labs will continue to be copied by Samsung in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 109 of 176
    Quote:

And an MBA from a Korean university will get you....?

Sorry to shatter your illusions but the rest of the world either doesn't agree (or simply doesn't know enough to care). Here's another "cute" link from some "misinformed source" about Korea and how it "keeps pace with the world" http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...2/top-400.html It's "dated" too, and that date is 2011-2012. Enjoy.

In a similar and somewhat related vein we can predict that whatever comes out of Apple's R&D labs will continue to be copied by Samsung in the foreseeable future.

This Wikipedia entry sums up your debating style until now.

"Name calling is a cognitive bias and a technique to promote propaganda..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_calling

In the span of one page, you label me as one of the nationalistic and xenophobic people of South Korea.

I try to point to data that can be found in a simple Google search albeit with some Korean language skills required but you "blatantly" ignore counter evidence. You make no admission that you had wrong facts or interpreted the situation incorrectly.

You can go ahead and make fun of a doctor who said kimchi can protect you from HIV. At least he didn't directly kill someone with that belief. The same can't be said for Bush and his cohorts who "believed" there were WMDs in Iraq. 100,000+ Iraqi civilians died because of that nonexistent threat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

And you also like to cherrypick data to answer a question. I asked you if Germans buy American cars and you pull up a link that shows 1.Volkswagen 2. Mercedes-Benz. 3. BMW/Mini 4. Opel. 5. Audi. So the top five automakers in Germany are German-made cars. What was your answer again? I didn't ask you what the share of total foreign car imports in the German market are either. Do 10% of German consumers buy American-made cars? There. I made it into a simple Yes or No question.

I asked you if you have driven a car in South Korea. Again, you don't answer. So if I were to presume that you have never driven a car in Korea then I find it hard to consider your description of Korean roads credible.
  • Reply 110 of 176
    Quote:

Tom Cruise telling Matt Lauer that anti-depressants can't treat depression is probably "great stuff" according to you. According to you Koreans have to be the dumbest people in the world. Oh, ignore those math level comparisons by country because they don't mean anything when America is number 1.

I took the liberty of cherrypicking this data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...cience-reading

So how is the K-12 public education system doing in your country (America)? You can ignore this question if it doesn't jibe with your prepared response.
  • Reply 111 of 176
    Quote:

Tom Cruise telling Matt Lauer that anti-depressants can't treat depression is probably "great stuff" according to you. According to you Koreans have to be the dumbest people in the world. Oh, ignore those math level comparisons by country because they don't mean anything when America is number 1.

I took the liberty of cherrypicking this data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...cience-reading

So how is the K-12 public education system doing in your country (America)? You can ignore this question if it doesn't jibe with your prepared response.

No I don't believe any people are "the dumbest in the world", but I would say that the Korean education system can be accurately assessed as sub-standard and a huge waste of time. I'd never let one of my kids go through it, and despite all the problems in the American system, I would vastly prefer an American education over a Korean one. Here's why.

In the US, high school is often a pathetic joke and we have all the problems with violence and drugs, which in my view often stem from our 'government' not really giving a damn about its own citizens, especially in poorer districts. They let many of our schools literally fall apart at the seams or classify ketchup as a vegetable (thanks, Bush senior ). It's a disgrace actually. But even so many American students who refuse to study will fail or quit and get a job or whatever.

In my view the Korean education system is better in terms of the Korean government putting money into it, of the students themselves respecting the teachers, and in terms of a general absence of drugs and extreme violence in the schools. But unfortunately in terms of education itself, Korea loses to the west big time, primarily because the system itself is a holdover from Confucian times.

Did you ever notice how Koreans never seem to fail high school and all students 'miraculously' pass with all those stellar grades? Well, in general this is because the schools are obsessed with their domestic rankings and are in competition with each other. In Korean terms, it would be a huge loss of face to the school if any of their students failed, so they don't allow even the class idiot to fail and they boost the grades of mediocre students. In addition, it's up to the schools and the Korean education ministries themselves to submit performance levels to those international bodies that conduct the high school international rankings. (Contrast this with the international university rankings which are independently- and peer-assessed.)

Anyway, back to the school stuff. Korean parents are so obsessed with their kids getting into the most prestigious universities (by prestigious I mean prestigious Korean universities like SNU or Postech) that they routinely give envelopes of cash to the teachers to 'look after' their sons or daughters, hence the incredibly high 'pass rates' with all those A's. Many teachers have doubled or tripled their salaries this way. Some Korean students are as good as western students, but in general the Korean schools fixate on rote memory 'learning' and grade inflation, and so do a massive disservice to their students, and their country.

A great tragedy of Korean 'education' is that many Korean high school students waste countless hours in haqwans learning how to memorize a bunch of useless facts any fool could look up in a book in 20 seconds. Independent thought and critical thinking do not rank highly as priorities, which is exactly what Confucianism has stressed in parts of the Far East for centuries. These students regurgitate those same facts for the exams and hopefully get into the Korean university of their choice. Once they do, it's joy and bliss and days of soju, but also, sadly, the END of their education because Korean universities are notorious for being something you simply sail through, even the best ones. It's a given that once you're in, you pretty much graduate even if you do nothing at all. However in western countries true education is thought to BEGIN upon entering university and if you refuse to work your booty off or can't think independently, you'll soon fail or drop out.

It's as simple as that and the international rankings show the end product of both systems. There's not a single Korean university in the top 50. And the very few Korean universities like Postech or Kaist that do crack the top 200 only recently did this after they woke up and started massive recruitment drives for western professors or western-educated Koreans (this was all within the past ten years). That's a good thing for Korea, but the old guard is still mostly calling the shots (e.g. remember American Nobel Laureate Robert Laughlin, fired as the Dean of Kaist for daring to say that most of its Korean-educated professors weren't up to scratch?). But hopefully we'll see more internationalization of those universities because Korea really needs these foreigners to stay competitive.

As for maths and sciences in the real world, do I really have to compare Korea and America? There's simply no competition.

In MATHS they have this thing called a Fields Medal, kinda like the Nobel Prize of mathematics except it's only awarded every four years. Let's see...the US has 12, England 6, Japan and Germany, Finland, Russia (5), France, Australia, Spain, a few others, but I don't see Korea represented there at all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

In SCIENCE and MEDICINE, let's see, hundreds have been awarded in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine over the past century, but not a single Korean among them. Whatever happened to that *cough* 'great' Korean K-12 system? Here's the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_by_country.

So yeah, I guess you could say that in terms of high school 'performance' Korean numbers 'look' great (though not as great as Finland’s, which does have the best K-12 education system in the world,) but in the real world the western countries (especially the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy), Japan, Russia, India and a whole lot of other places simply trounce Korea in math and science. You brought it up and I hope that answers your question.
  • Reply 112 of 176
    Quote:

In SCIENCE and MEDICINE, let's see, hundreds have been awarded in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine over the past century, but not a single Korean among them. Whatever happened to that 'great' Korean K-12 system? Here's the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_by_country.

So yeah, I guess you could say that in terms of high school 'performance' Korean numbers 'look' great (though not as great as Finland’s, which does have the best K-12 education system in the world,) but in the real world the western countries (especially the US, UK, Germany, France, Italy), Japan, Russia, India and a whole lot of other places simply trounce Korea in math and science. You brought it up and I hope that answers your question.

I skimmed through the wikipedia page you cited. I noticed that European scientist dominated the list early on and it was only until the 1930s that the U.S. started winning in the sciences. Before that most U.S. winners were awarded token Peace prizes. And I also looked at Japan's Nobel prizes. It took them until the 1980s to win some Nobels that, again, weren't token Peace prizes or Nobels for literature. So South Korea received one token Peace Prize so they're getting there. Give them some time.

But why do Asians have to validate their scientific achievement through an institution that is grossly biased towards the achievements of the West?

There are a billion people living in India and another billion in China but each country only gets a handful of Nobels? Out of 2 billion people only several were worthy of a Nobel Prize. Uh-huh. Great selection process. Disregard a billion here and a billion there and you've got a great pool of candidates for the Nobel Prize. How enriching to global equality.
  • Reply 113 of 176
    Quote:

I skimmed through the wikipedia page you cited. I noticed that European scientist dominated the rankings early on and it was only until the 1940s that the U.S. started winning in the sciences. Before that most U.S. winners were awarded token Peace prizes. And I also looked at Japan's Nobel prizes. It took them until the year 2000 to win some Nobels that, again, weren't token Peace prizes. So South Korea received one token Peace Prize so they're getting there. Give them some time.

A Peace Prize is NOT a Science Nobel or a Fields Medal. Getting there? What's taking you so long?

Your comments about the US and Nobel Prizes are clearly indicative of sleep deprivation (at best) your part. And I would never argue that Europe does not have world-leading science. But here are the US prizes from that same page. Read 'em and weep.

United States Nobel Laureates

Christopher A. Sims, Economics, 2011

Thomas J. Sargent, Economics, 2011

Saul Perlmutter, Physics, 2011

Brian P. Schmidt, Physics, 2011

Adam G. Riess, Physics, 2011

Ralph M. Steinman, born in Canada, Physiology or Medicine, 2011

Bruce Beutler, Physiology or Medicine, 2011

Peter A. Diamond, Economics, 2010

Dale T. Mortensen, Economics, 2010

Richard F. Heck, Chemistry, 2010

Ei-ichi Negishi, born in Japan, Chemistry, 2010

Elinor Ostrom, Economics, 2009

Oliver Eaton Williamson, Economics, 2009

Barack H. Obama, Peace, 2009

Thomas A. Steitz, Chemistry, 2009

Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, born in India, Chemistry, 2009

Willard S. Boyle, born in Canada, Physics, 2009

Charles K. Kao, born in China, Physics, 2009

George E. Smith, Physics, 2009

Elizabeth Blackburn, born in Australia, Physiology or Medicine, 2009

Carol W. Greider, Physiology or Medicine, 2009

Jack W. Szostak, born in United Kingdom, Physiology or Medicine, 2009

Paul Krugman, Economics, 2008

Roger Yonchien Tsien, Chemistry, 2008

Martin Chalfie, Chemistry, 2008

Osamu Shimomura, born in Japan, Chemistry, 2008

Yoichiro Nambu, born in Japan, Physics, 2008

Leonid Hurwicz, born in Russia, Economics, 2007

Eric S. Maskin, Economics, 2007

Roger B. Myerson, Economics, 2007

Al Gore, Peace, 2007

Mario R. Capecchi, born in Italy, Physiology or Medicine, 2007

Oliver Smithies, born in United Kingdom, Physiology or Medicine, 2007

Roger D. Kornberg, Chemistry, 2006

John C. Mather, Physics, 2006

Edmund S. Phelps, Economics, 2006

George F. Smoot, Physics, 2006

Andrew Z. Fire, Physiology or Medicine, 2006

Craig C. Mello, Physiology or Medicine, 2006

Robert Aumann, born in Germany, Economics, 2005

Robert H. Grubbs, Chemistry, 2005

Richard R. Schrock, Chemistry, 2005

Thomas Schelling, Economics, 2005

John L. Hall, Physics, 2005

Roy J. Glauber, Physics, 2005

Irwin Rose, Chemistry, 2004

Edward C. Prescott, Economics, 2004

David J. Gross, Physics, 2004

H. David Politzer, Physics, 2004

Frank Wilczek, Physics, 2004

Richard Axel, Physiology or Medicine, 2004

Linda B. Buck, Physiology or Medicine, 2004

Peter Agre, Chemistry, 2003

Roderick MacKinnon, Chemistry, 2003

Robert F. Engle, Economics, 2003

Anthony J. Leggett, born in United Kingdom, Physics, 2003

Paul C. Lauterbur, Physiology or Medicine, 2003

Alexei A. Abrikosov, born in Russia, Physics, 2003

Daniel Kahneman, born in Israel, Economics, 2002

Vernon L. Smith, Economics, 2002

Jimmy Carter, Peace, 2002

Raymond Davis Jr., Physics, 2002

Riccardo Giacconi, born in Italy, Physics, 2002

Sydney Brenner, born in South Africa, Physiology or Medicine, 2002

H. Robert Horvitz, Physiology or Medicine, 2002

William S. Knowles, Chemistry, 2001

K. Barry Sharpless, Chemistry, 2001

Joseph E. Stiglitz, Economics, 2001

George A. Akerlof, Economics, 2001

A. Michael Spence, Economics, 2001

Eric A. Cornell, Physics, 2001

Carl E. Wieman, Physics, 2001

Leland H. Hartwell, Physiology or Medicine, 2001

Alan Heeger, Chemistry, 2000

Alan MacDiarmid, born in New Zealand, Chemistry, 2000

James J. Heckman, Economics, 2000

Daniel L. McFadden, Economics, 2000

Jack Kilby, Physics, 2000

Paul Greengard, Physiology or Medicine, 2000

Eric R. Kandel, born in Austria, Physiology or Medicine, 2000

Ahmed H. Zewail, born in Egypt, Chemistry, 1999

Günter Blobel, born in then Germany, now Poland, Physiology or Medicine, 1999

Walter Kohn, born in Austria, Chemistry, 1998

Robert B. Laughlin, Physics, 1998

Daniel C. Tsui, born in China, Physics, 1998

Robert F. Furchgott, Physiology or Medicine, 1998

Louis J. Ignarro, Physiology or Medicine, 1998

Ferid Murad, of Albanian heritage, Physiology or Medicine, 1998

Paul D. Boyer, Chemistry, 1997

Robert C. Merton, Economics, 1997

Myron Scholes, born in Canada, Economics, 1997

Jody Williams, Peace, 1997

Steven Chu, Physics, 1997

William D. Phillips, Physics, 1997

Stanley B. Prusiner, Physiology or Medicine, 1997

Richard E. Smalley, Chemistry, 1996

Robert F. Curl Jr., Chemistry, 1996

William Vickrey, born in Canada, Economics, 1996

David M. Lee, Physics, 1996

Douglas D. Osheroff, Physics, 1996

Robert C. Richardson, Physics, 1996

Mario J. Molina, born in Mexico, Chemistry, 1995

F. Sherwood Rowland, Chemistry, 1995

Robert Lucas, Jr., Economics, 1995

Martin L. Perl, Physics, 1995

Frederick Reines, Physics, 1995

Edward B. Lewis, Physiology or Medicine, 1995

Eric F. Wieschaus, Physiology or Medicine, 1995

George Andrew Olah, born in Hungary, Chemistry, 1994

John Charles Harsanyi, born in Hungary, Economics, 1994

John Forbes Nash, Economics, 1994

Clifford G. Shull, Physics, 1994

Alfred G. Gilman, Physiology or Medicine, 1994

Martin Rodbell, Physiology or Medicine, 1994

Kary B. Mullis, Chemistry, 1993

Robert W. Fogel, Economics, 1993

Douglass C. North, Economics, 1993

Toni Morrison, Literature, 1993

Russell A. Hulse, Physics, 1993

Joseph H. Taylor Jr., Physics, 1993

Phillip A. Sharp, Physiology or Medicine, 1993

Rudolph A. Marcus, born in Canada, Chemistry, 1992

Gary S. Becker, Economics, 1992

Edmond H. Fischer, born in China, Physiology or Medicine, 1992

Edwin G. Krebs, Physiology or Medicine, 1992

Elias James Corey, Chemistry, 1990

Merton H. Miller, Economics, 1990

William F. Sharpe, Economics, 1990

Harry M. Markowitz, Economics, 1990

Jerome I. Friedman, Physics, 1990

Henry W. Kendall, Physics, 1990

Joseph E. Murray, Physiology or Medicine, 1990

E. Donnall Thomas, Physiology or Medicine, 1990

Sidney Altman, born in Canada, Chemistry, 1989

Thomas R. Cech, Chemistry, 1989

Hans G. Dehmelt, born in Germany, Physics, 1989

Norman F. Ramsey, Physics, 1989

J. Michael Bishop, Physiology or Medicine, 1989

Harold E. Varmus, Physiology or Medicine, 1989

Leon M. Lederman, Physics, 1988

Melvin Schwartz, Physics, 1988

Jack Steinberger, born in Germany, Physics, 1988

Gertrude B. Elion, Physiology or Medicine, 1988

George H. Hitchings, Physiology or Medicine, 1988

Charles J. Pedersen, born in Korea, Chemistry, 1987

Donald J. Cram, Chemistry, 1987

Robert M. Solow, Economics, 1987

Joseph Brodsky, born in Russia, Literature, 1987

Dudley R. Herschbach, Chemistry, 1986

Yuan T. Lee, born in Taiwan, Chemistry, 1986

James M. Buchanan, Economics, 1986

Elie Wiesel, born in Romania, Peace, 1986

Stanley Cohen, Physiology or Medicine, 1986

Rita Levi-Montalcini, born in Italy, Physiology or Medicine, 1986

Jerome Karle, Chemistry, 1985

Herbert A. Hauptman, Chemistry, 1985

Franco Modigliani, born in Italy, Economics, 1985

Michael S. Brown, Physiology or Medicine, 1985

Joseph L. Goldstein, Physiology or Medicine, 1985

Bruce Merrifield, Chemistry, 1984

Henry Taube, born in Canada, Chemistry, 1983

Gerard Debreu, born in France, Economics, 1983

Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, born in India, Physics, 1983

William A. Fowler, Physics, 1983

Barbara McClintock, Physiology or Medicine, 1983

George J. Stigler, Economics, 1982

Kenneth G. Wilson, Physics, 1982

Roald Hoffmann, born in then Poland, now Ukraine, Chemistry, 1981

James Tobin, Economics, 1981

Nicolaas Bloembergen, born in the Netherlands, Physics, 1981

Arthur L. Schawlow, Physics, 1981

David H. Hubel, born in Canada, Physiology or Medicine, 1981

Roger W. Sperry, Physiology or Medicine, 1981

Walter Gilbert, Chemistry, 1980

Paul Berg, Chemistry, 1980

Lawrence R. Klein, Economics, 1980

Czesław Miłosz, born in then Russian Empire, now Lithuania, Literature, 1980

James Cronin, Physics, 1980

Val Fitch, Physics, 1980

Baruj Benacerraf, born in Venezuela, Physiology or Medicine, 1980

George D. Snell, Physiology or Medicine, 1980

Herbert C. Brown, Chemistry, 1979

Theodore Schultz, Economics, 1979

Steven Weinberg, Physics, 1979

Sheldon Glashow, Physics, 1979

Allan M. Cormack, born in South Africa, Physiology or Medicine, 1979

Herbert A. Simon, Economics, 1978

Isaac Bashevis Singer, born in then Russian Empire, now Poland, Literature, 1978

Robert Woodrow Wilson, Physics, 1978

Arno Penzias, born in Germany, Physics, 1978

Hamilton O. Smith, Physiology or Medicine, 1978

Daniel Nathans, Physiology or Medicine, 1978

Philip Anderson, Physics, 1977

John H. van Vleck, Physics, 1977

Roger Guillemin, born in France, Physiology or Medicine, 1977

Andrzej W. Schally, born in then Poland, now Lithuania, Physiology or Medicine, 1977

Rosalyn Yalow, Physiology or Medicine, 1977

William Lipscomb, Chemistry, 1976

Milton Friedman, Economics, 1976

Saul Bellow, born in Canada, Literature, 1976

Burton Richter, Physics, 1976

Samuel C. C. Ting, Physics, 1976

Baruch S. Blumberg, Physiology or Medicine, 1976

Daniel Carleton Gajdusek, Physiology or Medicine, 1976

Tjalling C. Koopmans, born in the Netherlands, Economics, 1975

Ben R. Mottelson*, Physics, 1975

James Rainwater, Physics, 1975

David Baltimore, Physiology or Medicine, 1975

Renato Dulbecco, born in Italy, Physiology or Medicine, 1975

Howard Martin Temin, Physiology or Medicine, 1975

Paul J. Flory, Chemistry, 1974

George E. Palade, born in Romania, Physiology or Medicine, 1974

Wassily Leontief, born in Germany, Economics, 1973

Henry Kissinger, born in Germany, Peace, 1973

Ivar Giaever, Norway, Physics, 1973

Christian Anfinsen, Chemistry, 1972

Stanford Moore, Chemistry, 1972

William H. Stein, Chemistry, 1972

Kenneth J. Arrow, Economics, 1972

John Bardeen, Physics 1972

Leon N. Cooper, Physics 1972

Robert Schrieffer, Physics 1972

Gerald Edelman, Physiology or Medicine, 1972

Simon Kuznets, born in then Russia, now Belarus, Economics, 1971

Earl W. Sutherland Jr., Physiology or Medicine, 1971

Paul A. Samuelson, Economics, 1970

Norman Borlaug, Peace, 1970

Julius Axelrod, Physiology or Medicine, 1970

Murray Gell-Mann, Physics, 1969

Max Delbrück, born in Germany, Physiology or Medicine, 1969

Alfred Hershey, Physiology or Medicine, 1969

Salvador Luria, born in Italy, Physiology or Medicine, 1969

Lars Onsager, born in Norway, Chemistry, 1968

Luis Alvarez, Physics, 1968

Robert W. Holley, Physiology or Medicine, 1968

Har Gobind Khorana, born in India, Physiology or Medicine, 1968

Marshall Warren Nirenberg, Physiology or Medicine, 1968

Hans Bethe, born in then Germany, now France, Physics, 1967

Haldan Keffer Hartline, Physiology or Medicine, 1967

George Wald, Physiology or Medicine, 1967

Robert S. Mulliken, Chemistry, 1966

Charles B. Huggins, born in Canada, Physiology or Medicine, 1966

Francis Peyton Rous, Physiology or Medicine, 1966

Robert B. Woodward, Chemistry, 1965

Richard P. Feynman, Physics, 1965

Julian Schwinger, Physics, 1965

Martin Luther King, Jr., Peace, 1964

Charles H. Townes, Physics, 1964

Konrad Bloch, born in then Germany, now Poland, Physiology or Medicine, 1964

Maria Goeppert-Mayer, born in then Germany, now Poland, Physics, 1963

Eugene Wigner, born in Hungary, Physics, 1963

John Steinbeck, Literature, 1962

Linus C. Pauling, Peace, 1962

James D. Watson, Physiology or Medicine, 1962

Melvin Calvin, Chemistry, 1961

Robert Hofstadter, Physics, 1961

Georg von Békésy, born in Hungary, Physiology or Medicine, 1961

Willard F. Libby, Chemistry, 1960

Donald A. Glaser, Physics, 1960

Owen Chamberlain, Physics, 1959

Emilio Segrè, born in Italy, Physics, 1959

Arthur Kornberg, Physiology or Medicine, 1959

Severo Ochoa, born in Spain, Physiology or Medicine, 1959

George Beadle, Physiology or Medicine, 1958

Joshua Lederberg, Physiology or Medicine, 1958

Edward Tatum, Physiology or Medicine, 1958

Chen Ning Yang, born in China, Physics, 1957

Tsung-Dao Lee, born in China, Physics, 1957

William B. Shockley, Physics, 1956

John Bardeen, Physics, 1956

Walter H. Brattain, Physics, 1956

Dickinson W. Richards, Physiology or Medicine, 1956

André F. Cournand, France, Physiology or Medicine, 1956

Vincent du Vigneaud, Chemistry, 1955

Willis E. Lamb, Physics, 1955

Polykarp Kusch, born in Germany, Physics, 1955

Linus C. Pauling, Chemistry, 1954

Ernest Hemingway, Literature, 1954

John F. Enders, Physiology or Medicine, 1954

Frederick C. Robbins, Physiology or Medicine, 1954

Thomas H. Weller, Physiology or Medicine, 1954

George C. Marshall, Peace, 1953

Fritz Lipmann, born in then Germany, now Russia, Physiology or Medicine, 1953

E. M. Purcell, Physics, 1952

Felix Bloch, born in Switzerland, Physics, 1952

Selman A. Waksman, born in then Russian Empire, now Ukraine, Physiology or Medicine, 1952

Edwin M. McMillan, Chemistry, 1951

Glenn Theodore Seaborg, Chemistry, 1951

Ralph J. Bunche, Peace, 1950

Philip S. Hench, Physiology or Medicine, 1950

Edward C. Kendall, Physiology or Medicine, 1950

William Giauque, born in Canada, Chemistry, 1949

William Faulkner, Literature, 1949

T. S. Eliot*, Literature, 1948

American Friends Service Committee (The Quakers), Peace, 1947

Carl Cori, born in Austria, Physiology or Medicine, 1947

Gerty Cori, born in Austria, Physiology or Medicine, 1947

Wendell M. Stanley, Chemistry, 1946

James B. Sumner, Chemistry, 1946

John H. Northrop, Chemistry, 1946

Emily G. Balch, Peace, 1946

John R. Mott, Peace, 1946

Percy W. Bridgman, Physics, 1946

Hermann J. Muller, Physiology or Medicine, 1946

Cordell Hull, Peace, 1945

Isidor Isaac Rabi, born in Austria, Physics, 1944

Joseph Erlanger, Physiology or Medicine, 1944

Herbert S. Gasser, Physiology or Medicine, 1944

Otto Stern, born in then Germany, now Poland, Physics, 1943

Edward A. Doisy, Physiology or Medicine, 1943

Ernest Lawrence, Physics, 1939

Pearl S. Buck, Literature, 1938

Clinton Davisson, Physics, 1937

Eugene O'Neill, Literature, 1936

Carl Anderson, Physics, 1936

Harold C. Urey, Chemistry, 1934

George R. Minot, Physiology or Medicine, 1934

William P. Murphy, Physiology or Medicine, 1934

George H. Whipple, Physiology or Medicine, 1934

Thomas H. Morgan, Physiology or Medicine, 1933

Irving Langmuir, Chemistry, 1932

Jane Addams, Peace, 1931

Nicholas M. Butler, Peace, 1931

Sinclair Lewis, Literature, 1930

Frank B. Kellogg, Peace, 1929

Arthur H. Compton, Physics, 1927

Charles G. Dawes, Peace, 1925

Robert A. Millikan, Physics, 1923

Woodrow Wilson, Peace, 1919

Theodore W. Richards, Chemistry, 1914

Elihu Root, Peace, 1912

Albert A. Michelson, born in then Germany, now Poland, Physics, 1907

Theodore Roosevelt, Peace, 1906

[edit]
  • Reply 114 of 176
    Quote:

No I don't believe any people are "the dumbest in the world", but I would say that the Korean education system can be accurately assessed as sub-standard and a huge waste of time. I'd never let one of my kids go through it, and despite all the problems in the American system, I would vastly prefer an American education over a Korean one.

To each his own.

You're a smart guy (this is a compliment) and you sure did a good analysis of public education in South Korea. But you're takeaway from your overseas experience shows me that you can't tolerate what's different in your culture from another culture. And the South Korean moral system seems to irk you a lot. Yes, South Korea should adopt the American moral system. But some critics in your country say that it's bankrupt.

This may sound self-serving but I don't consider myself as being either South Korean or American. And I like an intellectual debate so try to tone down the shrill chest thumping over Nobel Prize achievement. It's err... Embarrassing.
  • Reply 115 of 176
    Quote:

I asked you if you have driven a car in South Korea. Again, you don't answer. So if I were to presume that you have never driven a car in Korea then I find it hard to consider your description of Korean roads credible.

You're straying but correct on one point, I did not answer about driving a car in Korea. Yes, I have done that, many times.
  • Reply 116 of 176
    Quote:

There's not a single Korean university in the top 50.

I do not take issue with the rankings.

But I do take issue with some American morals applied to higher education in America. Have you heard of "legacies?" Do you know the percentage they make up in Harvard, Yale and the top universities in your country? Can you say with a straight face that this is a merit-based system?

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...gacy-legacies/

What about the affirmative action program? Just tick the box that says you're a minority. But be careful not to say you're Asian. If you tick Asian, you'll need a perfect score on the SAT.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...ons/51620236/1

One of Yale's legacies made his father proud by becoming a U.S. president. He must have done a real good job.
  • Reply 117 of 176
    Quote:

You're straying but correct on one point, I did not answer about driving a car in Korea. Yes, I have done that, many times.

So you've driven on Korean roads but never encountered a side road (golmokgil)? Now i'm even more baffled at your insistence that Korean roads are wide like they are in America. I've driven on state highways and 16-lane superhighways in LA. And the back roads and side roads. But I've never found it as tight as a golmokgil in Korea. I'm bewildered.
  • Reply 118 of 176
    Quote:

But why do Asians have to validate their scientific achievement through an institution that is grossly biased towards the achievements of the West?

There are a billion people living in India and another billion in China but each country only gets a handful of Nobels? Out of 2 billion people only several were worthy of a Nobel Prize. Uh-huh. Great selection process. Disregard a billion here and a billion there and you've got a great pool of candidates for the Nobel Prize. How enriching to global equality.

HUH??? "Asians" (I think you actually mean "Korea", Asia was a pretty big and varied place the last time I checked) don't have to "validate" anything. Who cares?

Soooo, according to your logic Korea has never won a FIFA World Cup, topped the Olympics medal tables, etc. etc. because "western" organizations like FIFA and the International Olympic Committee have a bias against "Asian" athletes??? I seeee....

With the exception of the Peace Prize (I rate the Literature Nobel highly), the Nobels is what the Nobels is, THE recognition of ground-breaking scientific research. The fact that Koreans themselves recognize this is evident in their fixation on winning one and you can bet the Korean media will go absolutely ape when a Korean finally wins one one of these days.
  • Reply 119 of 176
    Quote:

I'm bewildered.

Yes, you are.
  • Reply 120 of 176
    Quote:

Some Korean students are as good as western students, but in general the Korean schools fixate on rote memory 'learning' and grade inflation, and so do a massive disservice to their students, and their country.

Maybe rote memory learning has some kind of purpose. Hmm...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/op...t-matters.html