US judge says Samsung tablets unlikely to attract Apple's customers

Comments

• Reply 141 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radar View Post

Uh no, that's the generally accepted definition of 'the west' or 'Western'.

Here you go, from the Oxford dictionary:

western |ˈwɛstərn|

adjective

1 [ attrib. ] situated in the west, or directed toward or facing the west: there will be showers in some western areas.

? (of a wind) blowing from the west.

2 (usu. Western )living in or originating from the west, in particular Europe or the US: Western society.

Don't they teach you even this basic stuff in Korean schools? In the west (that'd be Europe, most of North America, Australia, New Zealand and so on) we learn it in elementary school if not earlier. \

Here's something you don't understand about my argument. In East Asia, the Chinese and Koreans don't call Japanese inventions or technology as "Asian technology" at all. But your media and especially, Americans love to make broad claims that "they" stole western technology. We all know who "they" is, right? I didn't have to even say it but you already knew. See, that's the kind of power the media and preconceived notions have over you.
  • Reply 142 of 176
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

von Braun is the Father of rocket science and built the Saturn V rocket. When the truth hits you, you run away, don't you?

No, you'd be only half-correct there. He was the father of the Saturn V rocket (he did his first experiments in 1930), but he actually built on the work of Goddard, who was the father of the liquid-fueled rocket (built in 1926).

You should at the very least do a wiki check of basic history before you post silly comments on a public forum. They make you and all the other Korean nationalists look very very ignorant.

No, actually, when I'm faced with ridiculous rantings from rabid nationalists like yourself I either laugh or smack them with the truth until they beg for mercy, or until they slip up and make even more ridiculous (often hysterically funny) comments; it depends on my mood.
  • Reply 143 of 176
    Quote:

Here's something you don't understand about my argument. In Asia, the Chinese and Koreans don't call Japanese inventions or technology as "Asian technology" at all. But your media and especially, Americans love to make broad claims that "they" stole western technology. We all know who "they" is, right? I didn't have to even say but you already knew. See, that's the kind of power the media has over you.

Clearly.
  • Reply 144 of 176
    Quote:

No, you'd be only half-correct there. He was the father of the Saturn V rocket (he did his first experiments in 1930), but he actually built on the work of Goddard, who was the father of the liquid-fueled rocket (built in 1926).

You should at the very least do a wiki check of basic history before you post silly comments on a public forum. They make you and all the other Korean nationalists look very very ignorant.

No, actually, when I'm faced with ridiculous rantings from rabid nationalists like yourself I either laugh or smack them with the truth until they beg for mercy, depending on my mood.

While you're checking out wikipedia, look up name-calling, will you?
  • Reply 145 of 176
    Quote:

No, actually, when I'm faced with ridiculous rantings from rabid nationalists like yourself I either laugh or smack them with the truth until they beg for mercy, or until they slip up and make even more ridiculous (often hysterically funny) comments; it depends on my mood.

You can't accept the facts. You just won't. It's your American pride I guess. Have to be number 1. You betcha!

"The V-2, however, was technically far more advanced than the most successful of the rockets designed and tested by Goddard. The Peenemünde rocket group led by Wernher von Braun may have benefited from the pre-1939 contacts to a limited extent, but had also started from the work of their own space pioneer, Hermann Oberth" (excerpted from Wikipedia.)

I don't even want to go into jet engines and talk about the father of that now... It has to be an American, right? Wrong.
  • Reply 146 of 176
    [QUOTE=eric475;Koreans don't call Japanese inventions or technology as "Asian technology" at all. [/QUOTE]

That's right, they call it "Korean technology".
  • Reply 147 of 176
    Quote:

That's right, they call it "Korean technology".

Yes, they do. (I'm serious)
  • Reply 148 of 176
    Quote:

You can't accept the facts. You just won't. It's your American pride I guess. Have to be number 1. You betcha!

"The V-2, however, was technically far more advanced than the most successful of the rockets designed and tested by Goddard. The Peenemünde rocket group led by Wernher von Braun may have benefited from the pre-1939 contacts to a limited extent, but had also started from the work of their own space pioneer, Hermann Oberth" (excerpted from Wikipedia.)

I don't even want to go into jet engines and talk about the father of that now... It has to be an American, right? Wrong.

Can we just say that a combination of western science and technologies (that'd be technologies from Europe and the US) got American men to the moon...and that it had Dick Squat to do with Korea? Would that be ok with you; it's fine with me.

While you ponder my suggestion let's play a little game. Look around your apartment in Seoul or wherever it is you live and take away everything that runs on electricity or computers, anything that requires satellites, anything that was ever built on western science at all. You're now the proud owner of some kimchee (although minus the red peppers the Portuguese brought to Korea from South America), some soju (though not distilled and certainly not in a glass bottle or can), and a pile of rubble. Congratulations!
  • Reply 149 of 176
    Quote:

Yes, they do. (I'm serious)

I KNOW they do. I've heard it many times.
  • Reply 150 of 176
    Quote:

Can we just say that a combination of western science and technologies (that'd be technologies from Europe and the US) got American men to the moon...and that it had Dick Squat to do with Korea? Would that be ok with you; it's fine with me.

While you ponder my suggestion let's play a little game. Look around your apartment in Seoul or wherever it is you live and take away everything that runs on electricity or computers, anything that requires satellites, anything that was ever built on western science at all. You're now the proud owner of some kimchee (although minus the red peppers the Portuguese brought to Korea from South America), some soju (though not distilled and certainly not in a glass bottle or can), and a pile of rubble. Congratulations!

America doesn't manufacture computers, fridges, or electronics in its heartlands anymore. Heard of how America's manufacturing base has been hollowed out? So banish all those made in China products from your home for an "hollowed out" experience. And try enjoying a Merry Christmas without those cheap toys and gadgets made from China. You know them, they've got this white Apple logo plastered on the back.

And putting up the money while taking European technology for your moon project is no different from what China is doing from one industry to another. You won't give up and admit that without von Braun there would be no rocket to the moon. Even when NASA scientists agree with that statement!

And the Soviets sent the first artificial satellite into space. Never heard of Sputnik? Now you're also claiming Soviet technology as your shared western technology? Sad. Sad.
  • Reply 151 of 176
    Quote:

America doesn't manufacture computers, fridges, electronics in their country anymore. Heard of how America's manufacturing base has been hollowed out? So banish all those made in China products from your home for an "hollowed out" experience. And try enjoying a Merry Christmas without those cheap toys and gadgets made from China. You know them, they've got this white Apple logo on them.

As I recall, you too are the proud owner of many Apple products. Last time I checked Steve Jobs was American and Apple is American. and Ives is British. Apple products and patents are western. Last time I checked Samsung was moving its TV assembly to places like Shuzhou, in China. Westerners don't tend to respect cultures that simply copy what we do, we do respect originality. China assembles our inventions. End of story.

I'm looking around my place and I can't see many Chinese inventions. A couple of products that might have been assembled there, but not many actual inventions. My place is pretty much the same (I don't own a plow, I do have some paper but I generally don't use it at home.) My place is doing ok, I still have my computer, my fridge, my electric lights, my air conditioning, my cell phone, my Internet, my TV, my toilet, my stove, pretty much everything. How's the pile of rubble doing?

Funny how you have to talk about China because you know very well that you can't talk much about Korean inventions that I'd rely on. But even China does't impress me that much actually, there are far more western inventions in a single Boeing 777 than the Chinese invented in their entire history. Pretty amazing when you consider China (like Korea) has all those people and 5000 years of history. America by comparison has far fewer people and is still relatively young nation. Japan is far more impressive than either Korea or China IMHO.
  • Reply 152 of 176
    Quote:

As I recall, you too are the proud owner of many Apple products. Last time I checked Steve Jobs was American and APple is American. Ives is British. All "western" inventions and patents.Last time I checked Samsung was moving its TV assembly to places like Shuzhou, in China.

I'm looking around my place and I can't see a single Chinese invention. A couple of products that might have been assembled there, but not an actual invention. My place is pretty much the same (I don't own a plow). I do have some paper but I generally don't use it at home. My place is doing ok, how's the pile of rubble?

Funny how you have to talk about China because you know very well that you can't talk much about Korean inventions that I'd rely on. But even China does't impress me that much actually, there are far more western inventions in a single Boeing 777 than the Chinese invented in their entire history. Pretty amazing when you consider China (like Korea) has all those people and 5000 years of history. America by comparison has far fewer people and is still relatively young nation. Japan is far more impressive than either Korea or China IMHO.

After they attacked Pearl Harbor it must have left a lasting impression in your mind I guess. So you need to be knocked down by some country to be impressed with them? So that's how it works.
  • Reply 153 of 176
    Quote:

But even China does't impress me that much actually, there are far more western inventions in a single Boeing 777 than the Chinese invented in their entire history.

It's always western technology. Uh-huh. Jet engine invented by who?
  • Reply 154 of 176
    Quote:

And putting up the money while taking European technology for your moon project is no different from what China is doing from one industry to another. You won't give up and admit that without von Braun there would be no rocket to the moon. Even when NASA scientists agree with that statement!

You clearly can't read the English language at anything approaching academic level. Look back at my posts, I keep telling you that western technology means European and American, but you refuse to let that fact enter your brain. It's your Korean Reality-Block (TM) at work. And it seems to working overtime today.

Gotta get back to work. You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down later. We're loving it!
  • Reply 155 of 176
    Quote:

It's always western technology. Uh-huh. Jet engine invented by who?

The English (aka westerners). Later.
  • Reply 156 of 176
    Quote:

You clearly can't read the English language at anything approaching academic level. Look back at my posts, I keep telling you that western technology means European and American, but you refuse to let that fact enter your brain. It's your Korean Reality-Block (TM) at work. And it seems to working overtime today.

Gotta get back to work. You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down later. We're loving it!

Yeah, and you keep avoiding the word "American" technology for some reason. Kind of peculiar on how you avoid that word like the plague. I'm lovin' your habitual avoidance of using the words "American technology" like a Big Mac burger. Chomp. Chomp. Delicious!
  • Reply 157 of 176
    Quote:

The English (aka westerners). Later.

So if the Swiss invent something it's like, you betcha that's western technology. That's ours! No touch! No touch!

China stole what from the Swiss? Oh, no. It's western technology. We gotta get it back. Call the Swiss. Anyone speak Swiss German, Swiss French, Swiss Italian, or Swiss Romansh? No? Don't call them. We the West but we can't doggone speak to each other. But that's OK. We still the West. Yes, sirree (insert Texan drawl).
  • Reply 158 of 176
    Quote:

I know some native South Koreans who have better English reading comprehension than you do. And you know what, I'm not joking either. If you've lived in South Korea as you claim (though you have these misconceptions about the roads being as wide as LA highways and streets), then you'd agree with me.
  • Reply 159 of 176
    Quote:

Yeah, and you keep avoiding saying "American" technology for some reason. Kind of peculiar on how you avoid that word like the plague.

The airplane is American technology. Apple computers are American technology. Cray supercomputers are American technology. ICBMs are American technology. The vast majority of military hardware your country needs to defend itself is American technology. The cell phone is American technology. The microwave oven is American technology. The very computer you're using right now is American technology. You can thank American technology and Americans and British and Canadians and Indians and Australians and more for saving your country from North Korea in the 1950s. Without American technology you would likely not even be alive, if you were you'd probably be living in a still-feudal Korean agricultural society with an ox and a hanbok, dying of diseases not yet vaccinated by you guessed it, American technology. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just stating fact. It would take me till the end of my days to list every single American invention so I'll just post a very basic list for your perusal.

There are more than 200 pages of American technology on wikipedia alone, and that's just the very tip of an enormous iceberg.

A

Aberdeen Chronograph

Acrylic paint

Adobe Flash

Adobe Flash Professional

Aerogel

Airbag

Americium

Argon oxygen decarburization

ARPANET

Artificial neuron

Artificial pacemaker

Atkins diet

Automatic transmission

Autopilot

B

Ballistic electron emission microscopy

Barcode

BASIC

Bathysphere

Beltway battery

Beam lead technology

Bell X-1

Bifocals

BigBelly

Bioactive glass

Biological pacemaker

Black light

Boy Butter

Breakfast cereal

Brown truss

Bubblegum

Bulldozer

Burr Truss

C

C (programming language)

Carbon microphone

Carbonless copy paper

Carter's Little Liver Pills

Cash register

Catalytic converter

Chemical oxygen iodine laser

Cigarette

Coca-Cola

Cocaine (drink)

Contour Crafting

Cotton candy

Cotton gin

Cotton swab

Crayon

Credit card

Crystalate

Curium

D

Dazer Laser

Dendrochronology

Dental floss

Dianetics

Direct current

Dishmaker

DNA computing

Doggles

DOS

Drop Stop

User:Zsexdrcft/Articles as templates test

D cont.

Dynamic random-access memory

E

IMail

Electric guitar

Electron beam ion trap

Electronic libretto

Electrophotography

Email

Equatorial sextant

Escalator

Ethernet

F

Fax

Ferris wheel

Fidelipac

Fire sprinkler

Flashlight

Fleshlight

Floppy disk

Floppy disk variants

Flowchart

Franklin stove

Fresno scraper

Fuel dispenser

Fused deposition modeling

G

Gamma camera

Gamma probe

Gas laser

Gilhoolie

Glass harmonica

Global Positioning System

Glottochronology

Glucose meter

Go (programming language)

Gore-Tex

Graphophone

H

Henry rifle

Highway Hi-Fi

Holographic drive

Hutchinson Patent Stopper

Hypertext

I

Ice resurfacer

Industrial robot

Infunitum

Integrated circuit

Internet

Ionocraft

J

Jeans

K

K-Y Jelly

Kinetoscope

Klystron

Knuckle Racquet

Kong (dog toy)

L

Lambda calculus

Laser

Laser printer

LAWKS

Light-emitting diode

Lightning rod

Lightning Switch

Liquid crystal display

Lisp (programming language)

Loaded Questions (game)

M

Magnetic stripe card

Maser

Metallic microlattice

Microelectromechanical system oscillator

Microprocessor

Microwave oven

M cont.

Mimeoscope

Monopoly (game)

Mouse (computing)

Mouse button

N

N-slit interferometer

Nanoimprint lithography

Nanolaser

Napalm

Neuticles

Neutron bomb

Nuclear power plant

Nuclear submarine

Nuclear weapon

Nylon

O

Obsidian hydration dating

Ocean pressure electric conversion

Oil well

Optical mouse

Oral-B Glide

P

Pacifier-activated lullaby

PageRank

Particle accelerator

Pattern playback

PDCA

Perl

Personal computer

Phonograph

Phonograph cylinder

Photosensitive glass

Plasma display

Pneumoencephalography

Polymerase chain reaction

Preparation H

Pritikin Diet

Q

Qore Language

Quantum well laser

QWERTY

R

Radar gun

Radial arm saw

Radiocarbon dating

RAM press

Ring spinning

Rocket stove

Roto-Rooter

Rumford fireplace

S

Scanning acoustic microscope

Scent Transfer Unit

Scrabble

Scroll wheel

Segway Inc.

Segway PT

Sholes and Glidden typewriter

Shopping cart

Silica gel

Smith & Wesson Model 1

Solar cell

Sono arsenic filter

South Beach Diet

Space blanket

Space tourism

Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell

Steadicam

Stereo-Pak

Stereolithography

Storyboard

Supermarket

(previous 200) (next 200)
  • Reply 160 of 176
    Quote:

The airplane is American technology. Apple computers are American technology. Cray supercomputers are American technology. ICBMs are American technology. The vast majority of military hardware your country needs to defend itself is American technology. The cell phone is American technology. The microwave oven is American technology. The very computer you're using right now is American technology. You can thank American technology and Americans and British and Canadians and Indians and Australians and more for saving your country from North Korea in the 1950s. Without American technology you would likely not even be alive, if you were you'd probably be living in a still-feudal Korean agricultural society with an ox and a hanbok, dying of diseases not yet vaccinated by you guessed it, American technology. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just stating fact. It would take me till the end of my days to list every single American invention so I'll just post a very basic list for your perusal.

There are more than 200 pages of American technology on wikipedia alone, and that's just the very tip of an enormous iceberg.

A

Aberdeen Chronograph

Acrylic paint

Adobe Flash

Adobe Flash Professional

Aerogel

Airbag

Americium

Argon oxygen decarburization

ARPANET

Artificial neuron

Artificial pacemaker

Atkins diet

Automatic transmission

Autopilot

B

Ballistic electron emission microscopy

Barcode

BASIC

Bathysphere

Beltway battery

Beam lead technology

Bell X-1

Bifocals

BigBelly

Bioactive glass

Biological pacemaker

Black light

Boy Butter

Breakfast cereal

Brown truss

Bubblegum

Bulldozer

Burr Truss

C

C (programming language)

Carbon microphone

Carbonless copy paper

Carter's Little Liver Pills

Cash register

Catalytic converter

Chemical oxygen iodine laser

Cigarette

Coca-Cola

Cocaine (drink)

Contour Crafting

Cotton candy

Cotton gin

Cotton swab

Crayon

Credit card

Crystalate

Curium

D

Dazer Laser

Dendrochronology

Dental floss

Dianetics

Direct current

Dishmaker

DNA computing

Doggles

DOS

Drop Stop

User:Zsexdrcft/Articles as templates test

D cont.

Dynamic random-access memory

E

IMail

Electric guitar

Electron beam ion trap

Electronic libretto

Electrophotography

Email

Equatorial sextant

Escalator

Ethernet

F

Fax

Ferris wheel

Fidelipac

Fire sprinkler

Flashlight

Fleshlight

Floppy disk

Floppy disk variants

Flowchart

Franklin stove

Fresno scraper

Fuel dispenser

Fused deposition modeling

G

Gamma camera

Gamma probe

Gas laser

Gilhoolie

Glass harmonica

Global Positioning System

Glottochronology

Glucose meter

Go (programming language)

Gore-Tex

Graphophone

H

Henry rifle

Highway Hi-Fi

Holographic drive

Hutchinson Patent Stopper

Hypertext

I

Ice resurfacer

Industrial robot

Infunitum

Integrated circuit

Internet

Ionocraft

J

Jeans

K

K-Y Jelly

Kinetoscope

Klystron

Knuckle Racquet

Kong (dog toy)

L

Lambda calculus

Laser

Laser printer

LAWKS

Light-emitting diode

Lightning rod

Lightning Switch

Liquid crystal display

Lisp (programming language)

Loaded Questions (game)

M

Magnetic stripe card

Maser

Metallic microlattice

Microelectromechanical system oscillator

Microprocessor

Microwave oven

M cont.

Mimeoscope

Monopoly (game)

Mouse (computing)

Mouse button

N

N-slit interferometer

Nanoimprint lithography

Nanolaser

Napalm

Neuticles

Neutron bomb

Nuclear power plant

Nuclear submarine

Nuclear weapon

Nylon

O

Obsidian hydration dating

Ocean pressure electric conversion

Oil well

Optical mouse

Oral-B Glide

P

Pacifier-activated lullaby

PageRank

Particle accelerator

Pattern playback

PDCA

Perl

Personal computer

Phonograph

Phonograph cylinder

Photosensitive glass

Plasma display

Pneumoencephalography

Polymerase chain reaction

Preparation H

Pritikin Diet

Q

Qore Language

Quantum well laser

QWERTY

R

Radar gun

Radial arm saw

Radiocarbon dating

RAM press

Ring spinning

Rocket stove

Roto-Rooter

Rumford fireplace

S

Scanning acoustic microscope

Scent Transfer Unit

Scrabble

Scroll wheel

Segway Inc.

Segway PT

Sholes and Glidden typewriter

Shopping cart

Silica gel

Smith & Wesson Model 1

Solar cell

Sono arsenic filter

South Beach Diet

Space blanket

Space tourism

Stanley Meyer's water fuel cell

Steadicam

Stereo-Pak

Stereolithography

Storyboard

Supermarket

(previous 200) (next 200)

More shrill chest thumping. But seriously, South Beach Diet is an invention? And without the great American invention, the flashlight, I'll be deprived from the modern trappings of civilization for life?