RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The fact is that it was lame attempt to get attention that didn't work.

Is that a fact. Most tech media carried a story about it and you've taken the time to notice, read replies to the story, and comment on it. I'd say it worked perfectly. That you and others think it was lame is irrelevant and hypocritical since you commented on it. You don't like it, but it was nevertheless a very successful stunt. The goal was to get noticed and to that end it was.

• Reply 82 of 107
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member

Getting noticed used to get you points in marketing, but that just isn't the case anymore.  When your brand has been damaged, to the point where RIM is now, getting noticed for stunts like this will not help.  In fact, it's going to be more fodder for those mocking RIM - which at this point it seems most people have a hard time not mocking them.

I do understand that they need to do something so as not to become completely irrelevant, but I can tell you I'd have more respect for them if they were a little more humble.  Admit they've screwed up for the past 5 years and that this new OS 10 they are promising to be so extraordinary may actually need to be worked on far longer than they're say...wait, they can't say that can they.  So they shouldn't say anything, get their code into the hands of some prominent developers, make a viable OS and eco-system to support it - THEN start marketing.

• Reply 83 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Is that a fact. Most tech media carried a story about it and you've taken the time to notice, read replies to the story, and comment on it. I'd say it worked perfectly.

For Samsung. EVERYONE thought it was Samsung. NO ONE thought it was RIM. They had to tell us. It failed and was a complete waste of money.

• Reply 84 of 107
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by singhania dev View Post

Nate "Blunty" Burr has never been a RIM's employee... this information is incorrect. See his youtube channel 'Blunty3000', he has clearly said its incorrect. He has never worked for Blackberry... its all rubbish.

Blunty clearly said he never worked for Blackberry? Indeed. Poses as his Apple Store presence was happenstance? Yet you say later that he had been informed? So we are to accept that he "never" ever worked for BB?

What ever is the truth, that we even have to wonder what is the truth doesn't bode well for his character, now, does it.. And he's not embarrassed one bit. Sounds like a slam dunk.

• Reply 85 of 107
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

This reminds me a little of IBM's "Groovy" ad campaign for OS/2, in that it is an unfocused attempt to look relevant and hip. I wonder how that worked out for OS/2...

• Reply 86 of 107
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

I wasn't one of them, but I'll say "so what?" 

it proves, once again, that several fanatics of Apple products were wrong (and fail to admit it).

• Reply 87 of 107
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For Samsung. EVERYONE thought it was Samsung.

no.

i didn't think it was Samsung because, at the time of reporting, there was nothing to indicate it was Samsung.

• Reply 88 of 107
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

I wasn't one of them, but I'll say "so what?" 

The fact is that it was lame attempt to get attention that didn't work. Maybe they should have spent the money having a fake funeral, instead. 

Or waited a year or two and had a real one for RIM.

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

This just proves them all wrong.

• Reply 89 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Ignoring for the moment the fact that you just created this account, Apple was a visionary company long before they introduced the iPhone. Many, including myself, were dying for them to introduce a mobile phone and disrupt the market - which is exactly what they did. Are you suggesting that there's any evidence that RIM is this type of company and that they will soon introduce a product that will leapfrog so far ahead of Apple that millions will not hesitate to switch?

My sympathies if you're a RIM employee.

Don't forget, once upon a time you were a first time poster as well. No I am not suggesting there is evidence that RIM will introduce a product that will immediately leapfrog the iPhone or Android, all I was saying was we should maybe just wait and see what they have to offer before saying how crap it is. However unlikely it may seem there is the smallest possibility that this new product could be the first step in rebuilding the company or, as I stated, the final nail in the coffin. It took the iPhone a few generations to work it's way into the workplace, RIM may be prepared to do the same but as previously stated, that all depends on whether or not developers are prepared to contribute with apps for it.

No, I am not a RIM employee, if I was I would have jumped ship long ago.

• Reply 90 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

It's not that Apple fans don't believe it *now* (is that what you mean?), it's that no one anywhere that I've seen even suspected it was RIM until evidence started to point in their direction.  I think that's a clearer sign than any other that the campaign was ill-conceived.  Guerilla marketing has to be done right, if it's done in a manner and style that reminds people of someone else's PR (hence the fixation on Samsung), then you've really failed.

Also, the quote "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" is not a correct, that quote really leaves out the reference to a very specific branch of Samsung, leaving open the (however remote) possibility that some other branch of Samsung might have been behind it.

• Reply 91 of 107
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Uh huh...

19807971.jpg

• Reply 92 of 107
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

(Retracted)

• Reply 93 of 107
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

(Retracted)

• Reply 94 of 107
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member

Quote:

Well, AI is an Apple fan site. What do you expect?

I live in Korea, or Samsung Jeguk (where the Myung-bak administration works for Samsung, not for the people) and you should take the time to read the anti-Apple articles written by the ChoJoongDong newspaper cartel, which is, by the way, the mouthpiece of Samsung.

At least, you don't see the NYT writing articles full of blatant lies about Samsung.

• Reply 95 of 107
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelhk View Post

Of course the best way to mock the whole campaign is to ask the people who are participating what phones they have.

How many ofy of them would be using Blackberrys.

I have no sympathy for companies that fall behind. They have the same chances as any other company to innovate and make good products.

You had the product, but your time is over.

Does anyone actually believe Blackberrys will become a market force again.

Also, why picket Apple? Isn't Samsung the world's number one phone maker now?

It's because RIMM understands that Samsung won't be a threat in the Enterprise business, but Apple. Companies are replacing Blackberry phones with iPhones deploying iPad for marketing users. RIMM can feel the heat there. The only one who may be taking over the Enterprise business is Microsoft with its Windows 8 on mobile phones and tablets.

• Reply 96 of 107
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Quote:

Really? What about those stupid Samsung commercials against those people lining up in front of Apple stores, huh? Insulting users with negative campaigns won't get Samsung anywhere. If you want consumers, put out outstanding products, no need for negative campaigns.

• Reply 97 of 107
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Really? What about those stupid Samsung commercials against those people lining up in front of Apple stores, huh? Insulting users with negative campaigns won't get Samsung anywhere. If you want consumers, put out outstanding products, no need for negative campaigns.

What about Apple's Get A Mac ads? Isn't that quite similar?

• Reply 98 of 107
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It's because RIMM understands that Samsung won't be a threat in the Enterprise business, but Apple. Companies are replacing Blackberry phones with iPhones deploying iPad for marketing users. RIMM can feel the heat there. The only one who may be taking over the Enterprise business is Microsoft with its Windows 8 on mobile phones and tablets.

Do you mean RIM?

• Reply 99 of 107
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

What about Apple's Get A Mac ads? Isn't that quite similar?

One difference is those ads didn't insult the users at all.  Those ads only showed the difference in platforms, it wasn't about the users.

• Reply 100 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Do you mean RIM?

RIMM is the stock symbol.