Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 141 of 262
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Perfect for everyone or just you? I personally found it too small for my liking.
    relic wrote: »
    That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

H, L, S. Notch another two up to Techdud.
  • Reply 142 of 262
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

That post below should go in the dictionary as an example of straw-man argument. You cannot argue the points I've made, so you change them to something more convenient to argue against.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

No significant increase in iPhone sales will happen solely due to iOS upgrades.

Really? So you're saying that not a single user decided to purchase an iPhone 4.0 when iCloud functionality was introduced with the iOS 5 update? That's a pretty bold statement!

No, I'm saying that the few users (likely more than a single one) that were swayed into a purchase after examining the new features are an insignificant minority. In other words, iOS is already well known for regular updates, part of its indisputable success depends on them, and the users expect those to happen anyway.

And, making it faster? That's not what I've been hearing...

Then you probably shouldn't believe everything you hear. Try using and observing the damn thing yourself instead. Updates to both iOS and MAC OS X frequently increase both speed and response, both bloody important selling points.

I could find a large number of posts here on AI from users saying that after system updates their ageing devices turned almost unusable. Most posters keep their hardware updated to the latest generation -- or the one before it -- so they rarely see the problems though. Consider this simple logic: iOS comes already optimized for the hardware, a major selling point of new devices, so you cannot expect major improvements solely by software -- unless there were major snafus with earlier versions.

My Android phone gets auto-updated daily.

Seriously? Your Android phone gets auto-updated from one major OS to another on a daily basis? That's impressive!

No, I didn't say major OS versions, and you don't get that on iOS either. What gets updated are all 3rd party apps including those that allow for major overhauls of the UI; most importantly, the Google apps which provide much of the user experience are updated to latest versions several times per year. 

The claim was that there is no way to effect change, not that the current specs aren't desirable.

But why even change if it's not required? You're trying to argue the point that it can't be changed when it doesn't have to be.

Once again, read back and see my original argument. Apple will eventually change (update) HW features of the iPhone, however Apple will not do it earlier than about half a year from now.

Again, the success of the iPhone in the coming few months will be mostly affected by how good the directly competing devices are.

• Reply 143 of 262
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    How much for the phone + microscope bundle?

It's the same comparison that is made for every phone. This is a low quality screen.
  • Reply 144 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

It's the same comparison that is made for every phone. This is a low quality screen.

It's a meaningless comparison because it tells nothing about normal perception. It's like saying that a fashion model is ugly because you can see the pores of their skin through a microscope.

For the record, I am not particularly fond of this type of screen, just pointing out that this sort of "analysis" is a cheap shot made to look "sciency".

• Reply 145 of 262
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

My thumbs are simply not big enough.  I've tried to use 4.5 and 5 inch screens and I have sprained my thumb trying to operate the phone with one hand.  I'll watch movies on my tablet or TV. I don't need a giant phone I can't use.

I lot of people seem to find this.

Personally I never found it a problem. I have small hands for a guy but am well co-ordinated. Most of the less co-ordinated learn to work easily with one hand after a few days, but some still have problems.

• Reply 146 of 262
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

This is wrong on several points.

No one is locked into anything. By default, Android devices only allow apps to be installed from the Google Play Store (or the Amazon App Store, in the case of the Kindle Fire). This is, in part, a security feature. However, if a user wants to install apps from other sources, they can go to Settings -> Security and check "Unknown sources." So it's up to the user. Regarding alternate markets, there is no evidence that the Amazon App Store (by far the largest such market) has malware. As for the others, most of the apps are fine, but a few are malware. That's hardly "infested."

According to Google, Bouncer has significantly cut down on malware. No system is perfect, and a few apps in Japan got past it. But most of the malware that's been in the press lately has been blocked by Bouncer. By the way, I'm not sure what you were trying to prove with your third link -- it discussed the Chrome store, which isn't the same as the Android Play Store. Also, your link about Google Code isn't relevant either -- it discussed an app that wasn't in the Play Store either.

Still, I have to hand it to the folks here -- they know how to manipulate an argument. If Android users voluntarily limit themselves to official app stores, you claim that they're being locked in or that Android isn't open (both of which are false). If they choose to enable other app store, you start fear-mongering about malware. Boy, you must get a lot of exercise constantly moving those goalposts.

So if you have a Galaxy whatever or other Android device and want to use Amazon's repository you have no choice BUT to allow other sources, conversely if you have an Amazon Fire and you want to use Google's repository then you also have to allow other sources.

These groups are probably the targets of the "test" drive by downloads found linked to hacked websites in the last week or so.

Criminals somewhere are probably analysing the results in preparation for refining their methods.

• Reply 147 of 262
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

No, I'm saying that the few users (likely more than a single one) that were swayed into a purchase after examining the new features are an insignificant minority. In other words, iOS is already well known for regular updates, part of its indisputable success depends on them, and the users expect those to happen anyway.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever to back up those statements?

I could find a large number of posts here on AI from users saying that after system updates their ageing devices turned almost unusable. 

But of course you would! People generally post about problems on an Apple forum, but they rarely post to say, 'Everything is hunky-dory. Hell, it's better than ever!". That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. 

Most posters keep their hardware updated to the latest generation -- or the one before it -- so they rarely see the problems though. 

How were you able to confirm that?

Consider this simple logic: iOS comes already optimized for the hardware, a major selling point of new devices, so you cannot expect major improvements solely by software -- unless there were major snafus with earlier versions.

Rubbish. Everything can be improved. Even an optimised system.

"the success of the iPhone in the coming few months will be mostly affected by how good the directly competing devices are."

Utterly incorrect.

For a start, you're failing to take into consideration company ecosystems for any of those people who have already purchased previously. 

But people purchase for a variety of reasons, including personal need, budget, recommendation by others, support requirements, software range, and hardware quality. Sometimes people want a device that won't become outdated quickly. Many of these factors aren't influenced by 'the latest' competitor's models, as they need to be taken into consideration as a whole.

People don't stop buying iPhones just because the competition releases the latest, spec-ridden 'whatever'.

Hell, sometimes even a bad review for an Apple product fails to slow sales, so to claim that Apple's success is determined by the competition is ridiculously simple, and simply ridiculous!

• Reply 148 of 262
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

If I were buying an android phone, I'd take the HTC One X over this plastic monstrosity. 

• Reply 149 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You don't need to have data to prove common sense; you either get it or not. Most of my claims are simply logical assumptions; I relate the huge success of the iPhone to customers knowing and expecting its advantages. You cannot argue that Apple is hugely successful because it is doing things right, yet once people find out about how Apple is doing things right it will become even more successful. That wouldn't make sense because it assumes that Apple was initially successful without people knowing its advantages.

If you claim that everything can be improved, then you don't understand the theory of optimization. There's a limit to every optimization, and increasing efficiency in one domain often means decreasing another (e.g., speed of an algorithm vs. low memory usage).

When you say "Utterly incorrect", try thinking what you are arguing against. No one is claiming iPhone won't continue to sell well, but one must be stupid to think that lack of decent alternatives won't help it sell even better. The iPhone is what it is, the ball is now in the court of Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc. 

• Reply 150 of 262
    alexkhan2000alexkhan2000 Posts: 194member

I'm in midst of a 10-day stay in Seoul, Korea - part of a 3-week trip that will include China. Obviously, the SIII announcement is getting a lot of press but I don't see that the people are all that excited. There seems to be an upgrade fatigue building. I mean, how long ago was it that Samsung introduced the Galaxy Note? Or the last Galaxy II? What about the Nexus? Who can stay on top of all this stuff?

I've been moving about a lot in Seoul over the past several days and have made the effort to observe the mobile devices in use in the subway trains, coffee houses, bars & restaurants, on crowded streets, etc. There's no doubt Samsung dominates in the sheer number of devices used but, at the same time, the only other noticeable brand here in Seoul besides Samsung is definitely Apple.

From my general observations, it seems Samsung devices are at around 80% but that also includes the dumb feature phones used by the older folks who don't want to mess with touch screens. Also, the Samsung-Apple mix changes depending on the neighborhood around Seoul. Basically, the swankier the neighborhood the more iPhones you see. If the neighborhood (and that includes certain subway lines) isn't high income, you don't see as many iPhones.

Demographically speaking, iPhones are certainly more popular amongst the younger crowd (20's to early-30's) and especially the women. I'd say at least 60% of the iPhones I've seen were being used by women and they tended to be on the more attractive side than the women using Samsung phones.image Subjective statement, I know, but that's how I saw it. From what I've been able to gather, the iPhone is definitely for the younger and hipper crowd.

As far as tablets, a tablet the size of the iPad isn't that common in subway cars. But when I did see a 10"-size tablet, around 70% was the iPad. I saw a decent number of Samsung's 7~8" tablets but even that was less than half of the iPads I saw in use. So this pretty much confirms how dominant the iPad is even in Samsung's home turf. The Android tablet definitely is having a hard time getting any traction anywhere.

What was interesting is that most people using Samsung smartphones don't seem to have any problems using 4.3"-and-up screens. Even women typically had those large screen phones and it didn't seem to bother them at all. I also saw a decent number of men using those funny looking 5" Galaxy Notes. I'd say around 1 out of every 10 Samsung smartphones in use were that variety. It really does look goofy when you see them use it as a phone held against their faces but I guess they don't care.

Anyway, that's what I'm seeing here in Seoul and it is one technological marvel of a city. This country is completely wired with the fastest Internet speeds and it seems that 4G  LTE covers every nook and cranny of the nation as well. There are large display screens virtually everywhere you turn - bus stops, subway stations, elevators inside an apartment building, stores, restaurants, etc. with schedules, news feeds, menus, etc. Pretty amazing... I've traveled to a lot of places around the world and even Japan looks like it's at least a decade behind South Korea from this perspective.

But it seems that high-tech is so pervasive here that people now take it for granted. It isn't all that exciting to people. It's just a tool or a utility like electricity or water. Again, this is where Samsung doesn't match up with Apple. Samsung just isn't sexy when they also make microwave ovens, washers/dryers, dumb TVs, etc. as well as selling life insurance, building apartment complexes and treating patients at their own-branded hospitals. Sorry to say, Samsung is just an outright boring company...

• Reply 151 of 262
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

We always need a hardware 'out'.

I agree, though isn't the sleep button a hardware "out"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you wrote this?

Granted, but do you have any idea why do Android evangelists troll an Apple site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Love how the Siri- woops, I mean 'S-voice' interface is nearly identical (ie. complete ripoff) to Siri. Shameless. 

I don't get it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tune View Post

What letter does Samsung start with?

Why don't they call it Samsung-Voice then?

Come to think of it, I think a more plausible explanation is that it's a Galaxy S.  But it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt when the company has blatantly aped design language before.

• Reply 152 of 262
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

The great failure of logic displayed by those defending the iPhone's tiny screen is this - there is only one iPhone screen size, therefore it's impossible to know what percentage of iPhone buyers would prefer an iPhone with a larger screen. There is no choice if you want to continue to use iOS on a phone, and at this point many are clearly heavily invested in iOS and would be reluctant to leave.

By contrast in Android land there is a huge amount of choice, and when Android users are asked if they would prefer a larger screen, they buy phones with larger screens. The trend is for larger and larger screens too, and people keep buying them.

Unless Apple decide to release an iPhone with a choice of screen size it's impossible to know if the same would be true, but based on the way the Android (and Windows Phone) market is going, only a fool would say most people would still opt for a small screen.

• Reply 153 of 262
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So if you have a Galaxy whatever or other Android device and want to use Amazon's repository you have no choice BUT to allow other sources, conversely if you have an Amazon Fire and you want to use Google's repository then you also have to allow other sources.

These groups are probably the targets of the "test" drive by downloads found linked to hacked websites in the last week or so.

Criminals somewhere are probably analysing the results in preparation for refining their methods.

Yes, as we've said numerous times now, if you want to use a third-party market, then you have to enable it in the settings. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Just to clarify -- "drive-by downloads" doesn't mean that the app is actually installed. The user is still prompted to manually install the app.

But to make a broader point -- I find it curious that the Apple enthusiasts here scream and yell so much about Android malware. Seriously -- the very first comment on this story was about fear-mongering about malware. This is curious since the story was about a new phone. I would have expected more griping about the phone being too big or ugly or the usual claptrap. It's strange to focus on malware, which even security companies are finally admitting has been blown all out of proportion ( http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2958198/the-green-scare-android-malware ).

• Reply 154 of 262
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf2012 View Post

How does Infinity Blade II run on it? 'Nuf said...

That's about as useful as saying 'how well does gears of war run on a PS3?'  Apple signed Infinity Blade as an exclusive, as I'm sure you're aware, and so you said it merely to troll.

More relevant would have been to list a load of recent high profile handheld games and note which are only on iOS, and which are only on Android.  As a gamer, it's clear to me that iOS still has more choice than Android, but the gap is closing fairly rapidly.

• Reply 155 of 262
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

That's about as useful as saying 'how well does gears of war run on a PS3?'  Apple signed Infinity Blade as an exclusive, as I'm sure you're aware, and so you said it merely to troll.

Maybe if that was posted on an Android site.  Given how many Android fanatics come to an *Apple* fan site to troll, I'm not sympathetic to this argument.  If Android fans don't want to be counter trolled, maybe it's best not to troll in the first place.

• Reply 156 of 262
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member

Looks nice.  The new features in the software are incredibly useful.  Well done Sammy!

• Reply 157 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf2012 View Post

How does Infinity Blade II run on it? 'Nuf said...

Are you shitting me?  lol kids

• Reply 158 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy009 View Post

ooh! samsung is really competing with apple. it's good to see them upgrading their devices each time.

Agreed.

• Reply 159 of 262
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    The great failure of logic displayed by those defending the iPhone's tiny screen is this - there is only one iPhone screen size, therefore it's impossible to know what percentage of iPhone buyers would prefer an iPhone with a larger screen.

Actually, the iPhone comes in two sizes.

The larger one is called the iPad.

The great failure of logic displayed by those defending the Android's 'too big to fit in your pocket screen, non-retina display' screen is that if it's such a deal-breaker, then why are the usage statistics of Android devices so low?

I mean, if that screen is a gift from God, why aren't more of you actually using it?
  • Reply 160 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm very curious to see if four cores is useful in a phone. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know for sure. 

Why?