Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Comments

• Reply 161 of 262
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Hugh is an understatement. Hugh as in we no longer will know if owners have a boner or the phone in their pants pocket. That's if it actually will fit in a guys pants pocket. I hope Apple doesn't start playing this screen size game. I love the iPhone but hate how big and bulky it is. I remember when phones the size of an iPhone would have been laughed at and wouldn't sell because of size. I understand that a smart phone is a different category. But I would guess most people looking for a phone will reject this 4.8" screen IMO. The Fandroids will of course brag "mine is bigger than yours." image

Do you mean "huge"?  Wow.

• Reply 162 of 262
    anim8ranim8r Posts: 13member

But Android is OOOOOOPEN!

Isn'ty that the rallying cry of the freetards? Android is so much better than iPhone because you have the freedom to install apps from sources not controlled by Apple.

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

• Reply 163 of 262
    gvdwielegvdwiele Posts: 2member

As already noticed: the guy on the pic has a giant a hand. And only 4 fingers.

• Reply 164 of 262
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree, though isn't the sleep button a hardware "out"?

Nope. Sleep/Wake sleeps the system, but when you turn it back on, you're restored to the app from before the last sleep. If that app had locked up, you'd still be stuck there. Sleep/Wake doesn't ever return you to the Springboard, so we need a hardware way to get back there.

Quote:

Granted, but do you have any idea why do Android evangelists troll an Apple site?

They don't have any forums of their own. Seriously, there are Android forums, but they're exclusively help forums. I've yet to find a website for Android (or ANY of the individual companies that make Android devices) that carries the same tone as AppleInsider, et. al.

Quote:

I don't get it either. Why don't they call it Samsung-Voice then?

The name is a direct ape, no question about that. Did you notice that the microphone is… well, isn't it the exact same type of microphone used somewhere in iOS?

• Reply 165 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

My thumbs are simply not big enough.  I've tried to use 4.5 and 5 inch screens and I have sprained my thumb trying to operate the phone with one hand.  I'll watch movies on my tablet or TV. I don't need a giant phone I can't use.

I lot of people seem to find this.

Personally I never found it a problem. I have small hands for a guy but am well co-ordinated. Most of the less co-ordinated learn to work easily with one hand after a few days, but some still have problems.

Apple has determined that 3.5" is the maximum size for a screen to be useable with one hand.

• Reply 166 of 262
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm very curious to see if four cores is useful in a phone. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know for sure. 

If you're in the U.S. you won't have to worry about this as the U.S. version will only come with dual core snapdragon processors...

Overal though, more cores is how the CPU manufacturers are increasing processing power and I'm sure we'll even see iPhones with quad cores at some point (I doubt this years iPhone but maybe the 2013).

• Reply 167 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anim8r View Post

But Android is OOOOOOPEN!

Isn'ty that the rallying cry of the freetards? Android is so much better than iPhone because you have the freedom to install apps from sources not controlled by Apple.

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

Not for nothing...but WTF are you talking about? What does that have to do with the Samsung device being underwhelming?

• Reply 168 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe if that was posted on an Android site.  Given how many Android fanatics come to an *Apple* fan site to troll, I'm not sympathetic to this argument.  If Android fans don't want to be counter trolled, maybe it's best not to troll in the first place.

Not for nothing but considering your site has so much Android news that those of us with RSS readers (among other things) constantly see Appleinsider stories on our feeds with commenters referring to us as **insert negative name/phrase/paragraph/lie here" a lot of us felt compelled to come to disspell some of the misinformation.

(edit: religion and politics not welcome here)

• Reply 169 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Not for nothing but considering your site has so much Android news that those of us with RSS readers (among other things) constantly see Appleinsider stories on our feeds with commenters referring to us as **insert negative name/phrase/paragraph/lie here" a lot of us felt compelled to come to disspell some of the misinformation.

I've highlighted what you can NOT do anymore to stop this compulsion of yours.

• Reply 170 of 262
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Actually, the iPhone comes in two sizes.

The larger one is called the iPad.

The great failure of logic displayed by those defending the Android's 'too big to fit in your pocket screen, non-retina display' screen is that if it's such a deal-breaker, then why are the usage statistics of Android devices so low?

I mean, if that screen is a gift from God, why aren't more of you actually using it?

Oh what nonsense, your argument is absurd.

The iPad is obviously not usable as a phone. It was never intended to be nor ever will be. Large screen Android phones are... surprise surprise, phones. They fit in a pocket, they're easy to hold in one hand, they're light weight, and they make phone calls.

Samsung sells more phones than any other company in the world, and Android is the biggest mobile OS by a mile. So these poor usage statics you speak of are news to me.

Also, for what it's worth, I have an iPhone, not an Android device. I just want a bigger screen, to make typing in portrait easier, to make playing games easier with virtual controls, and to make watching video and browsing the web easier on the eyes. If Apple gave me the choice of an iPhone with a 4.5" screen or a 3.5" screen, I'd choose the larger screen in an instant.

• Reply 171 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

…they're easy to hold in one hand…

Hold. Not actually use. If you're already ON a call and holding it, yeah, that works. But they're not usable with a single hand.

Quote:

…Android is the biggest mobile OS by a mile.

5% is a mile?

• Reply 172 of 262
    derekmorrderekmorr Posts: 237member

Quote:

I've yet to find a website for Android (or ANY of the individual companies that make Android devices) that carries the same tone as AppleInsider, et. al.

Yes, and that's a good thing. Too often, the tone on here is shrill, close-minded, and in many cases hateful. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's something else entirely to attack others constantly for having a different opinion. Unfortunately, too many commenters here do that.

• Reply 173 of 262
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Now why does it need a Siri like copy, according to all the Android lovers here, when iPhone 4s came out Androids already had a voice recognition system ...
  • Reply 174 of 262
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Reply to:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr

I suspect you are mistaking defending Apple against the constant stream of anti Apple comments from trolls with bing shrill.
  • Reply 175 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've highlighted what you can NOT do anymore to stop this compulsion of yours.

Not have "Android" on my RSS feed?

This site is like a car wreck of misinformation at times...something keeps me from looking away.

That said...the GSIII sucks. Looks, Hardware, Software, Me Too factor...everything.

This was Samsung's chance to do something amazing, revolutionary...etc...

Stupid of me to expect the bureaucratic copycats to do something truly unique.

• Reply 176 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Now why does it need a Siri like copy, according to all the Android lovers here, when iPhone 4s came out Androids already had a voice recognition system ...

Ask Samsung...Samsung isn't Android...

• Reply 177 of 262
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Actually, the iPhone comes in two sizes.

The larger one is called the iPad.

Really? You can't think of any fundamental difference between the iPhone and the iPad?

Wow, just wow.

• Reply 178 of 262

dongles don't sell phones.

• Reply 179 of 262
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Decent hardware. Too bad the OS is so lousy.

Will you ever stop posting your daily lousy and pathetically crass propaganda? You most probably never ever tried Android 4.0, so please su, kthxbye.

• Reply 180 of 262

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Will you ever stop posting your daily lousy and pathetically crass propaganda? You most probably never ever tried Android 4.0, so please su, kthxbye.

It's pretty terrible. And don't act like you're nine.