Apple releases iOS 5.1.1 with fixes for HDR photos, AirPlay video

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released iOS 5.1.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, packing a number of fixes for various bugs, including issues that affected AirPlay video playback.

Users can now download the full update through iTunes, or access the smaller delta update directly on their iOS device through the Settings application. The software update is labeled as "Build 9B206."

The update is available for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, and all iPad models. The full list of changes in iOS 5.1.1, as noted by Apple, are:
  • Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
  • Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
  • Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
  • Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
  • Fixes an issue where 'Unable to purchase' alert could be displayed after successful purchase
iOS

The last update to iOS arrived in March, and added Japanese language support for Siri, as well as quick lock screen access to the iPhone's native Camera application. It also gave users the ability to delete pictures from the iCloud-based Photo Stream service.

Apple is expected to unveil the next major update to its iOS mobile operating system next month at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. The event will run from June 11 through 15 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Damn, not even a beta.  But I guess the fixes were minor enough to not warrant one.

• Reply 2 of 101
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Wonder if this closes any of the holes to be used in the forthcoming 5.1 jailbreak?

• Reply 3 of 101
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Wonder if this closes any of the holes to be used in the forthcoming 5.1 jailbreak?

Why would you want to jainbreak your phone anymore?

• Reply 4 of 101
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Ho hum. I want to know what io6 will bring. Seems like it had better be good.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

MyWi, BiteSMS, SBSettings, f.lux, Five Icon Dock.

• Reply 6 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. Until then, I'll use SBSettings, which allows you to put those controls in the notification centre.

There's also countless other tweaks which are only available through jailbreaking. Pictures in contact list, FaceTime on 3G, five-icon dock, etc.

• Reply 7 of 101

Quote:

When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. Until then, I'll use the jailbreak tool which allow you to put those controls in the notification centre.

There's also countless other tweaks which are only available through jailbreaking. Pictures in contact list, FaceTime on 3G, five-icon dock, etc.

Ploughing? It's hardly that much of a big deal. You click on settings, you go to Wifi, you turn it on/off. 3G is one extra step. For wifi that removes one gesture and for 3G it removes 2. Is it really that difficult that you had to jailbreak?

• Reply 8 of 101

Yes. It aggravates me that the Apple method is so unintuitive, when Apple is normally a company known for its intuitive software design. It's five minutes' effort to jailbreak, repaid by better ease of use for years down the line.

Why the confrontational attitude to jailbreaking, anyway? It's my device, I paid good money for it; I'll use it how I want, whether it's Apple's wish or not.

• Reply 9 of 101
    stunod7stunod7 Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post

Ploughing? It's hardly that much of a big deal. You click on settings, you go to Wifi, you turn it on/off. 3G is one extra step. For wifi that removes one gesture and for 3G it removes 2. Is it really that difficult that you had to jailbreak?

What does it matter?  Maybe he doesn't have fingers and yes it is that difficult.  What matters is Apple should allow people to use their phones the way they want and not the way Apple dictates.  Until they allow that to happen, I'll be a happy jailbreaker.  

• Reply 10 of 101

I didn't mean to come across in that manner, was just asking. Sorry about that. 

Quote:

Yes. It aggravates me that the Apple method is so unintuitive, when Apple is normally a company known for its intuitive software design. It's five minutes' effort to jailbreak, repaid by better ease of use for years down the line.

Why the confrontational attitude to jailbreaking, anyway? It's my device, I paid good money for it; I'll use it how I want, whether it's Apple's wish or not.

Maybe he doesn't have fingers? That was a little stupid really....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stunod7 View Post

What does it matter?  Maybe he doesn't have fingers and yes it is that difficult.  What matters is Apple should allow people to use their phones the way they want and not the way Apple dictates.  Until they allow that to happen, I'll be a happy jailbreaker.  

• Reply 11 of 101

I don't really mind Apple dictating the experience most of the time. It's that which keeps the UI consistent; some jailbreak software is really, really ugly!

But when it's a simple tweak with an obvious advantage and no real downside, then jailbreaking to achieve it is a bit of a no-brainer.

• Reply 12 of 101
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

My phone isn't jailbroken, but I agree with every reason you posted.  I had jailbroken it awhile back and absolutely loved being able to swipe up to turn my bluetooth on and off, or swipe diagonally up to turn off wifi.  I'm not sure why anybody would be confrontational about this.  It's preference, and it is incredibly convenient as well.  I don't want bluetooth going all day because of the battery drain, but when I get in my car, I would simply swipe up and it instantly would connect for hands free calling.  I also didn't enjoy the constant detection of wifi signals, so I swiped it off until I returned home or arrived as work.  One simple, thoughtless swipe. 

Also, the argument, "is it really that difficult that you had to jailbreak" is a straw man.  Being difficult is not the issue.  Being easier and more efficient is.  It's why I have an iphone to begin with.  For example, android UI's are sluggish.  Is it too difficult to use?  No...there are several Android phones that I love.  Is it easier to use my iPhone?  Yep.  I think being confrontational about this admits too much bias.  I'm right there with you.  I'd love if Apple added something to settings that would allow me to turn bluetooth and wifi off and on from notifcations or from an assigned swipe.    

• Reply 13 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

10.7.4 later today?

• Reply 14 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Even if you jailbreak, you can't use the phone the way you want. You can't get phone service for free. You can't use any carrier with any phone. You can't install your own OS. I just don't get it.

• Reply 15 of 101
    lennylenny Posts: 85member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

10.7.4 later today?

Hope so! )

• Reply 16 of 101
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Feels snappier.

(hey, I know this is iOS, but someone had to say it.)

• Reply 17 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Even if you jailbreak, you can't use the phone the way you want. You can't get phone service for free. You can't use any carrier with any phone. You can't install your own OS. I just don't get it.

That's mostly true. Android offers a much higher level of flexibility than even a jailbroken iPhone does - you can replace fundamentals of the OS, etc. 

But Android doesn't interest me, because I don't like the core UI and design philosophy and I don't like the hardware. For me, jailbreaking an iPhone is a compromise - a way to achieve a bit more freedom whilst retaining the advantages of the iPhone over Android. You can't do everything, but you can improve on the stock functionality!

The argument regarding free phone service is a bit silly. I want to be in control of how I use my device; that's a lot different from wanting to obtain something for nothing by committing fraud!

• Reply 18 of 101
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You could also add that it won't make you espressos, pick up your dry cleaning, or babysit your kids. There are myriad reasons many people have for jailbreaking their devices. The absence of a reason for you doesn't negate theirs. And the absence of you agreeing with their reasons is even less relevant.

Personally, I've gone back and forth in regards to jailbreaking my devices. SBSettings, netatalk, 3G Unrestrictor, and removing the download cap for 3G/4G connections have continued to be the biggest motivators for me. Currently, none of mine are jailbroken but I hope that continues to be an option if I change my mind.

• Reply 19 of 101
    lennylenny Posts: 85member

Quote:

MyWi, BiteSMS, SBSettings, f.lux, Five Icon Dock.

Have you ever given it a thought why these apps aren't in the AppStore? Maybe there's something wrong with them?..

• Reply 20 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Have you ever given it a thought why these apps aren't in the AppStore? Maybe there's something wrong with them?..

They're not in the App Store because Apple doesn't allow them in the App Store. They modify elements of the core UI or functionality and Apple doesn't allow that. I know that Apple has valid reasons for doing that, but personally I appreciate the flexibility more.