iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

1246789

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 178


    Will the GPS function work without 3G coverage or with my WiFi-only iPad2?  If I go to Europe and do not want to get hosed for 3G roaming charges and I turn that function off, will the GPS features still work?

     

  • Reply 62 of 178

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by metalcase View Post


    I want a forth bedroom in my 3 bedroom house.  Sure, my house has all the rooms that I payed for, but I'm gonna complain anyway.  I mean, my neighbors house has four rooms, so I should just automatically get that too for free, right?



     


     


    Some people will be dissatisfied unless and until Apple starts shooting pink unicorns out of its butt!

  • Reply 63 of 178
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post


    Yeah, because you want people to just buy your products once and never upgrade.  



    Not the point. Of course we upgrade. But to replace a fully functional built in app  with one that is not fully functional is not a good thing. They are still going to be selling/giving the 4 when they next update. Having a fully functional built in map function is not too much to ask for.

  • Reply 64 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    envirog wrote: »
    Not having turn-by-turn on my iPhone 4 will be a drag.  I was really hoping it would at least be made available on this edition of the iPhone.  #Sucks!

    What turn-by-turn navigation are you now using on your iPhone 4? It's not like it's included in the current Maps apps with the Google backend, it simply doesn't exist unless you've bought an app that supports it.

    I use TomTom and it's one of if not my most beloved 3rd-party iPhone apps. It's simply the best GPS system I've ever used. I don't expect Apple's new mapping service will change that seeing as how it requires Apple's backend (essentially Siri's servers) to work.

    There has been plenty of times I've counted on local GPS navigation when there has been No Service on my iPhone for cellular. Does Apple's service cache all the maps and voice dialogue for a route locally so that it can still follow the GPS location to let you know when and where to alter your course? I would doubt it because turn-by-turn needs to also calculate changes in the route and this could cause a huge spike in data usage from a simple course change if it pre-loaded every route and then again with every change to the route, not to mention the excessive battery drain for those additional services. Plus, it's all too complex to think it's a feasible option for a consumer product.

    I'll stick with my TomTom app that I've been using on my iPhone 4 (I don't get Apple's maps either) since it arrived and that doesn't need a data connection to work well. That 1.6GB download and $50 was a small price to pay for this utility.

    bruceedits wrote: »
    Will the GPS function work without 3G coverage or with my WiFi-only iPad2?  If I go to Europe and do not want to get hosed for 3G roaming charges and I turn that function off, will the GPS features still work?

    I was addressing this. You are likely SoL. I do know that on the current Maps that the GPS will find your location on a map so if you had a map already loaded into the app that the GPS can still update your position relative to the map and you can actually zoom in and out without causing an unfortunate refresh. However, it's clearly limited and not very practical.
  • Reply 65 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    metalcase wrote: »
    I want a forth bedroom in my 3 bedroom house.  Sure, my house has all the rooms that I payed for, but I'm gonna complain anyway.  I mean, my neighbors house has four rooms, so I should just automatically get that too for free, right?

    Very funny. Your neighbor is trying to force you to upgrade.
  • Reply 66 of 178
    inklinginkling Posts: 773member


    I've got GPS in both my iPhones but none in my new iPad, because a GPS in iPads only comes with cellular, which I don't need. Am I out of luck? I hope not.


     


    Any chance that Apple will create a Bluetooth feature in iPhones that'd feed a steady stream of location data to a nearby iPad? The result would also be more accurate GPS data, important in drive-by navigation. Users could place their iPhone next to their windshield, with a clear view of the sky, and use the turn-by instructions from an iPad held in someone's lap, where it doesn't have a clear view of the sky.


     


    This feature's also going to be less than useful if it can't preload map data like my Navigon app.

  • Reply 67 of 178


    Like another user post:


     


    THANK YOU, APPLE, for this tinny and out of date map coverage, worse UI, poor POIs, no building names, no transit information, no building outlines, no public footpaths - everything is worse!


     


    Turn-by-turn?


    I bet that will have to pay an extra to TomTom...

  • Reply 68 of 178
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post


    The new maps are TERRIBLE. out of date map coverage, worse UI, poor POIs, no building names, no transit information, no building outlines, no public footpaths - everything is worse. Look at this comparison photo - what would you rather use?

    https://twitter.com/corxo/status/212314131590692864/photo/1/large



    Good idea, rate a product still in Beta that won't be released for another 3 months and you've never actually used.

  • Reply 69 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post


    Good idea, rate a product still in Beta that won't be released for another 3 months and you've never actually used.



    Well he does have a point. Since they are showing it off as best thing since sliced bread it should be ok to compare it to sliced bread. I would have thought they should have at least brought the 2D features up to industry standard before they launched into 3D features.

  • Reply 70 of 178
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    I think the sentence needs to be adjusted to : "Apple added x feature(s) which forces people to upgrade if they can no longer live without this feature which they have been living without up until now".


     


    A lot of people take delight in pointing out the negative regardless of circumstance. ...



     


    I agree 100%.  People are just looking for something to complain about. 


     


    This entire argument looks pretty silly to me as I am one of those people who has *never* driven a car in the first place.  All my life I've had people telling me that I'm a fool for wanting to ride my bike or walk everywhere and that driving is about "freedom," control, power (and by implication) ... "being a man" (although I'm not sure what this means for women drivers).  I've lost count of how many times I've been told over the years that GPS driving and "turn by turn" were for "idiots" and "old ladies," and (again by implication) "real men know where they are going."  


     


    In fact these things were just initially for the rich and the fact that most couldn't afford the luxury, meant that they had to be denigrated of course.  Now these things are available to all, and for free, and everyone's just pissed that they can't get theirs because the picked the wrong phone or are still not rich enough to upgrade.  


     


    It's all sour grapes.  It's all extremely childish, selfish, behaviour over something people claimed not to even want a few years ago, but now it's being handed out for free they are damned sure they are going to jump up and down and hold their breath til they turn blue if they don't get it.  "Real men" Indeed.  :rolleyes:


     


    Wah-wah-wah.  Baby wants a bottle.  

  • Reply 71 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    I think the sentence needs to be adjusted to : "Apple added x feature(s) which forces people to upgrade if they can no longer live without this feature which they have been living without up until now".



    I don't care about turn by turn as I have that already in my autos and I'll be getting it on my iOS devices as well, however, I think it is fair to complain about losing features that we previously had like mass transit schedules, walking directions, and more legible street names, with street view etc. This maps app looks like a downgrade in almost every other regard besides turn by turn and 3D which most people only need on rare occasion.

  • Reply 72 of 178

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    .

    Apple is the mot consistent tech company when it comes to products and yet they get blasted for the stupidest reasons. 

    Bottom line: if people don't like the the positional goods Apple creates by not updating their products with perfect equality through all previous products then stop using their products or get over it because technology and business simply will never work the way some people want it to.


     


    Get a grip. Apple stood on stage making this a centerpiece for iOS 6 and then slapped half the installed userbase in the face saying you can't have it forking a core functionality of a preinstalled app. That's NOT consistent and not 'a stupid reason'. They are offering no explanation, leaving people like you to make poorly supported excuses as to why it's being done. The Siri situation I could understand, but this is entirely different and I don't think people are being babies or unreasonable. If Apple's reasoning is really that you need a dual core processor to handle turn by turn, then I'm sorry, Apple's designing it wrong. 


     


    Telling people to jump the shark because you don't like the criticism isn't an answer and childish. For a company that prides itself on consistency and instinctively obvious just works ecosystem, while poking and laughing at Android fragmentation and short support lifespan, they are starting to follow a similar path. 

  • Reply 73 of 178
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Whatever Apple's motivation, I find it more an coincidental that the release of iOS 6 corresponds to the completion of the subsidized phone contract for initial purchasers of the iPhone 4 -- so by September that's at least 3 months of customers ready to upgrade during the first month of release, with more every month. Can't imagine nobody at Apple in the bean counting department thought of this ...

    As for certain features not being available on the 3GS and 4, which will now be reduced to Apple's entry level phones, possibly free ... I'm not sure I understand the complaint. How many free phones, or even $100 phones on other platforms offered by the phone companies have identical features to their top of the line models? Seriously, they are entry level phones, that's how they will be sold -- yes the flagship model costs twice as much but you get this, this and this ... If you don't need this, or this, then you can get the $100 model, and if you aren't concerned about any of this, then you can get it for free.

    Seriously, you think the public is going to be confused? They are already being treated to an algebra lesson when they go in to buy an Android, which is currently the most widely used platform in world. Once the iPhone is offered on the same price points, I would expect consumers to be LESS confused by the iPhone options.

    The only point I will concede, is that Android devices will be offering incentives to phone companies to push android models over the iPhone. Most likely Apple will lose some customes on the free and $100 entry level phones as phone store salesmen tout identically priced android phones over the iPhone which on paper have seemingly better specs and offer turn by turn and voice commands, whether or not it's a better phone it will seem better ...
  • Reply 74 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Get a grip. Apple stood on stage making this a centerpiece for iOS 6 and then slapped half the installed userbase in the face saying you can't have it forking a core functionality of a preinstalled app. That's NOT consistent and not 'a stupid reason'. They are offering no explanation, leaving people like you to make poorly supported excuses as to why it's being done. The Siri situation I could understand, but this is entirely different and I don't think people are being babies or unreasonable. If Apple's reasoning is really that you need a dual core processor to handle turn by turn, then I'm sorry, Apple's designing it wrong. 

    Telling people to jump the shark because you don't like the criticism isn't an answer and childish. For a company that prides itself on consistency and instinctively obvious just works ecosystem, while poking and laughing at Android fragmentation and short support lifespan, they are starting to follow a similar path. 

    Any iDevice you had on Sunday worked the same way on Monday. You're just upset over the positional good.

    Speaking of getting a grip you say you understand about the Siri situation but you don't understand how turn-by-turn uses a back-end server just like Siri does and probably has a lot more continuous contact with the backend and uses a lot more data per transmission since it's also sending new map data to your device. How is there such a huge disconnect for you and others?
  • Reply 75 of 178
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Get a grip. Apple stood on stage making this a centerpiece for iOS 6 and then slapped half the installed userbase in the face saying you can't have it forking a core functionality of a preinstalled app. That's NOT consistent and not 'a stupid reason'. They are offering no explanation, leaving people like you to make poorly supported excuses as to why it's being done. The Siri situation I could understand, but this is entirely different and I don't think people are being babies or unreasonable. If Apple's reasoning is really that you need a dual core processor to handle turn by turn, then I'm sorry, Apple's designing it wrong. 

    Telling people to jump the shark because you don't like the criticism isn't an answer and childish. For a company that prides itself on consistency and instinctively obvious just works ecosystem, while poking and laughing at Android fragmentation and short support lifespan, they are starting to follow a similar path. 

    The Siri situation you can understand, but this is entirely different? If the problem for Siri is network traffic and server load, then turn-by-turn is going to make the situation worse for the very same reason. So part of the legacy user base does not get the new feature because the infrastructure can't handle it. The iPhone 4 people haven't bought into—PAID FOR—the new infrastructure by buying the latest hardware.

    You want Apple to explain that to you? Or can you figure it out for yourself so that they won't have to enter into a PR minefield by admitting that their billions spent so far on data handling haven't been enough—yet?

    Edit: Once again anticipated by SoliX. By the way, averagejoe you are using "jump the shark" wrong there. It doesn't mean "take a hike." It means something far more interesting, and it's not something that others tell you to do, it's something you do to yourself.
  • Reply 76 of 178
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Is that the reason Apple gave for iPhone4 users not having access to Siri, or is it just the educated guess of a 3rd party? Just curious.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I don't believe Apple gave any answer. The educated guess is from seeing Siri come to a crawl the first weekend of Siri's release with just iPhone 4Ses on the loose. There is also word of special chips that have only been added to more recent devices.


     


     


     Yes Apple did.


     


     


    Quote:


    Quote:

    Siri uses the processing power of the dual-core A5 chip in iPhone 4S, and it uses 3G and Wi-Fi networks to communicate rapidly with Apple’s data centers.


     





     


    BTW, TomTom, "…will supply map data to Apple Inc.…"

  • Reply 77 of 178
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member


    So not content with cutting the iPad 1 off from software updates despite the fact that it's only 2 years old, Apple are now crippling iOS6 for iPhone 4 users.  


     


    Apple should have just stuck with Google Maps. Then they'd retain Street View, which is an absolutely critical feature, and would have something which actually runs on every device. Perhaps they could have talked Google into porting their Android turn by turn to iOS, as that runs on pretty much any Android device.


     


    This can only be seen in one way - Apple deliberately crippling their own devices to force people to upgrade. Cheap, and nasty.

  • Reply 78 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't care about turn by turn as I have that already in my autos and I'll be getting it on my iOS devices as well, however, I think it is fair to complain about losing features that we previously had like mass transit schedules, walking directions, and more legible street names, with street view etc. This maps app looks like a downgrade in almost every other regard besides turn by turn and 3D which most people only need on rare occasion.

    The lack of Street View is my major concern for usability right now. I seldom use it but when I do it's indispensable. I hope Google has a maps app for iOS before too long.

    I've been testing iOS 6 on my iPad (3) and Maps isn't so great visually in many ways. The directions, which do offer driving, public, and walking, are all there but the way the blue course line is drawn is wonky in several ways.

    For instance, I can do a simple 0.7 mile trip from my house to the Amtrak train station and the course line not only gets oddly thicker and thinner in places for no apparent reason but also gets off the road a bit and into yards, and even overshoots the location a bit on the map so it's not where it should be in relation to the pin. Comparing it to Maps on my iPhone with iOS 5.x doesn't have these issues.

    On top of that, this was all in the flat view of the upcoming Maps. If I hit the 3D view (not Flyover view), which is nice just like with my TomTom, the blue course line gets completely fubar and doesn't even match anything remotely usable or accurate.

    It's the first beta so I expect plenty of changes before it's released but I have doubts that it will be as usable as the current Maps even after it's released.


    PS: I had thought you can email your directions to someone who can then pull it up on Google Maps but that does not seem to be the case in the current Maps apps.

    onhka wrote: »
     Yes Apple did.

    But is that because of the audio receiver tech they added to the A5 chip for compressing the audio for Siri's servers? It's an excuse and easily true but is it the complete truth? I'd think the load from piling on several dozen million more devices at once is a more accurate reason than having slightly better local HW for processing the audio for transmission.
  • Reply 79 of 178


    I use Waze on my iPhone 4, a free app, and it provides turn by turn with voice, traffic reports, and police, hazard, and other warnings.  It works better than my Garmin that I paid for.

  • Reply 80 of 178
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


    Yep, you definitely read the descriptions on Apple's web site and didn't just look at pictures </sarcasm> The new Maps does all of these things. Crowd-sourced traffic (much like Waze, but built in, so it will be much more useful), gives you multiple routes to choose from, gives you turn by turn directions, reroutes if you miss a turn. Please actually use the service for an extended period of time before you blindly criticize something.



     


    Why do you think Apple's crowd sourced traffic will beat Waze? Waze is cross platform, so you get data from all those Android and Blackberry users too. Plus Waze also has things that Apple won't dare to show, such as speed traps and hidden police cars.

Sign In or Register to comment.