iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

Comments

• Reply 101 of 178
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member

iOS6 is not free if you have to pay for newer hardware to run it, i.e. iPhone 4 users are being screwed.

• Reply 102 of 178
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

iOS6 is not free if you have to pay for newer hardware to run it, i.e. iPhone 4 users are being screwed.

Fortunately you don't have to pay for newer hardware to run it.

• Reply 103 of 178
    akacakac Posts: 512member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

The new maps are TERRIBLE. out of date map coverage, worse UI, poor POIs, no building names, no transit information, no building outlines, no public footpaths - everything is worse. Look at this comparison photo - what would you rather use?

https://twitter.com/corxo/status/212314131590692864/photo/1/large

iOS 6 maps aren't released yet. Its in beta and they have 4-5 months to get it all taken care of. Now Apple's maps does have one thing over Googles - its easier to read because its not so chock full of info. Apple's map also has the same info - but you have to zoom in more. I filed a bug report on this asking for more detail at lower zooms. Have you? If you are a developer you would do that.

• Reply 104 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

The turn by turn navigation features in iOS 6 are exaggerated- it's really not that good. The google-powered maps app in iOS 5 has traffic (which actually works in Europe unlike iOS 6), routing, directions, alternate routes - all iOS 6 maps does is have the turn directions in a road sign box at the top and adds voice guidance. 

iOS 6 maps support traffic, routing, directions, and alternate routes. In fact it has better alternate routes than Google. So FUD on you.

• Reply 105 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Siri can work on the iPhone 4 as soon as you bypass Apple UDID checks which are preventing you to do so. So it could looks like another disguised yet voluntary device limitation.

Yes, Siri does work, but I believe the real reason they didn't put it on the 4 is because their servers couldn't handle it. 

• Reply 106 of 178
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So, the iPad 2 will have full map functionality whilst the iPhone 4 that runs the same CPU is out, with the iPhone 3GS you could understand as it's getting pretty long in the tooth but this obviously has nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with milking customers dry.

The CPU is not the same. Do a little fact checking before complaining.

Yeah, giving the user base a FREE OS update is "milking them dry." If Apple was more concerned about squeezing all the revenue out you they could, the OS updates wouldn't be free and iCloud would still have a yearly subscription fee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

This just seems like more Apple crap designed to force users to upgrade, They remove Google Maps and replace it with their own partially functional replacement. What a load of crap. Evidence by Siri working on jailbroken iPhone 4.

It's called a product's life cycle. Of course Apple wants people to upgrade. They don't make money giving stuff away for free do they? They want people to EVENTUALLY buy new hardware when they think it is worth it to them. You don't have to if you don't want to. Apple is still supporting a phone that is now 3 years old!!! Name another mobile company that does? Does ICS run on the original Droid?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why people think is an oddity? Product differentiation has been going on in the CE industry for YEARS. Higher end hardware gets higher end functionality. This has always been the case. Just because its software, doesn't mean Apple is obligated to make it available to everyone. The software (newer features and functionality) is subsidized by the purchase of newer hardware.

Furthermore, no one knows if the software requires specific features of the hardware. I would suspect that the 3D stuff used in the turn-by-turn and fly over are using all the extra GPU cores put into the newer devices.

And lastly, You will still be able to download and use Google Earth if you don't like Apple's Maps. And I'm willing to bet Google releases their own Maps App.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Apple's products may be lightyears ahead of where they were 15 years ago, but their customer service/treatment is lightyears behind. And this is from someone who has been using Apple products for over 27 years.

I've been using Apple products for 32 years now and I disagree with you completely.

I will say I am a little dismayed that iOS 6 will not run on my original iPad, but oh well. My iPad still works MUCH better than the day I bought it and that's more than I can say for products from other companies. (Ditto on my original AppleTV as well.)

• Reply 107 of 178
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Here is an image showing how maps for iPad compares to google earth for iPad, here showing Kyoto. 

1339528338298.jpg

• Reply 108 of 178
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

I don't get the iPhone 4 problem. When iOS 6 is released, the iPhone 5  will be available, i would assume that the majority of updates to the 5 will be from the 4, not the 4S - certainly I won't be updating. So most users of OS 6 will, after a year, be on the 4s or 5, so nothing to see here. After all with most 2 year contracts you can upgrade for $99 or something like that, for free in the UK.

• Reply 109 of 178
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Or they are not being screwed and can indulge themselves in an upgrade 27 months after the 4 came out. 

• Reply 110 of 178
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member

If you buy any other product on the marketplace (such as a car) and they come out with a newer model with more features the next year, you aren't entitled to that new car or those new features. It is only with computers that we expect everything to be handed down to us for free. For those of you with an iPhone 4 or earlier, you will still have the same iPhone that works just the same that is the reason you bought it in the first place. 

• Reply 111 of 178
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My question too!

Also I don't see why an iPhone 4 couldn't handle fly over although I understand not having the Siri features (I think ...). I was going to buy an iPad 3 just for Dictation but as I understand it iPad 2 will gain Dictation in iOS 6, but I may have that wrong ... so much to take in!

I doubt that the iPad 2 will get Siri and system-wide dictation.  However, there is a Dragon Dictation app in the app store that runs on the iPad 2.

I use system-wide dictation often on the iPad 3, and it is much, much more accurate than the Dragon app (or any dictation app I've seen).  It may be that Apple uses its Siri servers to contextualize the text created by Dragon.  If so, it is an easy next step for Apple to enable Siri on the iPad 3.

• Reply 112 of 178
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
  • Reply 113 of 178

is the turn by turn functionality going to be available outside of the U.S.? e.g. Canada?

• Reply 114 of 178
    captain j wrote: »
    This just seems like more Apple crap designed to force users to upgrade, They remove Google Maps and replace it with their own partially functional replacement. What a load of crap. Evidence by Siri working on jailbroken iPhone 4.

Apple's products may be lightyears ahead of where they were 15 years ago, but their customer service/treatment is lightyears behind. And this is from someone who has been using Apple products for over 27 years.

The current Apple Maps app will continue to be available on current systems (iOS 5 and earlier). If you have supported hardware and upgrade to iOS 6 you will lose the old Apple Maps (with the google backend) and get the new Apple Maps app (with a non-Google backend).

No one is forcing you to upgrade. No one is taking your maps app away.

I, too wish Apple would support older devices for Siri and maps but it's a fact of life that technology moves on.
  • Reply 115 of 178
    kfury77 wrote: »
    The new maps are TERRIBLE. out of date map coverage, worse UI, poor POIs, no building names, no transit information, no building outlines, no public footpaths - everything is worse. Look at this comparison photo - what would you rather use?
    https://twitter.com/corxo/status/212314131590692864/photo/1/large

C'mon... You are comparing a one day old developer prerelease app and mature app in use for 5 years.

Further, Apple has at least three months to flesh out the backend database supporting the new maps app.
  • Reply 116 of 178
    andreid wrote: »
    You can't simply say turn-by-turn and call it a day. Probably other nav apps from the store use turn by turn but not in the same graphics level or not in the same 3D rendering. Moreover Siri is integrated into turn by turn so there's another resource to call upon and to use (despite the fact that Siri is not available on iPhone 4 and probably will not in the future). 

They don't have the same CPU. Get your facts right before ranting about like crazy

LLLL

Moreover, i completely understand Apple is a profit drive company (indisputable truth) and i agree that sometimes they are over-reaching, but the same discussions appeared,  if everyone remember, when Apple introduced multitasking and people with iPhone 3G complained they didn't get the feature. Apple responded by telling everybody that it was not feasible on the 3G and it would ruin the experience due to the lag. Every complain-tee still dismissed that till jail breakers made it available for them but still the experience sucked. So in the end Apple was right about it and the people that bitched a lot and accused Apple of milking customers were silenced. 

Excellent post!

Also, consider that Apple has always purposefully discontinued support for older hardware technology as it aged. Older OSes continue to provide the support for older technology. Otherwise, Apple's OSes would suffer the fragmentation that is Android or the legacy bloat that is Windows.
  • Reply 117 of 178
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Strange. Apple scores highest in consumer satisfaction and customer service year after year on nearly every survey conducted. Sometimes by quite a wide margin. 

I'll let you look up this common knowledge for your own enjoyment and edification.

Next time, please include a disclaimer in your post that tells us it's only your anecdotal opinion and shouldn't actually be taken to mean anything more. 

But as someone who has been "using Apple products for 27 years" none of this should be a surprise to you, and furthermore, Apple has always been this way and you've happily consented to it for over 27 years. You've voted with your wallet each time. So you can't have any complaints. 

Apple KNOWS THEIR SH*T. Period. If the feature is not on your phone, there's a reason for it. No, it's not to shaft you, it's to keep the User Experience in line with their standards. The very same standards that have been making them richer than God. You want all those neato-jailbreak options? Then jailbreak your device, install what Apple didn't allow you to have standard, and watch all the glorious lag ensue, if the app is even as functional as it *should* be. Or get an Android device, and do nothing at all to watch the lag. It comes standard. 

• Reply 118 of 178
    carigiscarigis Posts: 2member
    Seems to me.. This would be a Good time for google to offer free turn by turn for iphone 4 users if apple allows them to release maps as a standalone app. Just might generate some goodwill and make those same people keep google maps when they upgrade rather then bother with the apple maps program.

I can see limiting the 3GS but limiting the turn by turn on the 4 is just silly.
  • Reply 119 of 178

This has nothing to do with that. In this case we are talking about a functionality that we know many other devices (including standalone) with much less specs run well. In this case, it doesn't pass muster and people should hold Apple accountable to that standard. 

So, let's just suppose that Apple made a "business decision" not to support these apps on the older hardware. As a customer and a shareholder, I support that decision!
  • Reply 120 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Nobody cares how long you've been using Apple products. Some feel the need to point this out as if to legitimize their completely off-base opinion- which remains completely off-base.