FaceTime over 3G with iOS 6 limited to iPhone 4S, iPad 3

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    tylersdad wrote: »
    No, it's quite easy to understand. I build networks and software for a living.

Apple should explain this, though, instead of saying that the iPhone 4 hardware can't handle it. Instead, they should tell everybody that their networks and the various mobile networks can't handle the extra load.

The device is more than capable of handling it, even without HSPA+ speeds as evidenced by the Verizon iPhone 4S. Verizon does not have an HSPA+ network, yet FaceTime over 3G will be enabled on it.

Yet, FaceTime is only one of the features being held back from iPhone 4 users. What about turn-by-turn navigation? The iPhone 4 is obviously capable of it since there are myriad of Navigation apps (Navigon, TomTom, MapQuest) that do turn-by-turn. What's the excuse for holding back this feature?

Disregarding the server theory, why should the iPhone 4 get all the features? It will be demoted once again with the "New iPhone" later this year. If your navigation apps work, then what's the issue? Do you think us 4S user's won't get left behind in the next release?

FaceTime over cellular? Jailbreak then.

I don't see the issue, if apple wants it to be that way what can we do? Absolutly nothing Unfortunatly. You alreay bought the device for its advertised features, enjoy it.
  • Reply 142 of 149
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Disregarding the server theory, why should the iPhone 4 get all the features? It will be demoted once again with the "New iPhone" later this year. If your navigation apps work, then what's the issue? Do you think us 4S user's won't get left behind in the next release?

FaceTime over cellular? Jailbreak then.

I don't see the issue, if apple wants it to be that way what can we do? Absolutly nothing Unfortunatly. You alreay bought the device for its advertised features, enjoy it.

Well, it's really a non-issue for me. I'll be able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it come out at the subsidized price.

And, frankly, I don't have a problem with Apple holding back features as long as they are honest about it. This nonsense about the hardware not being up to snuff is just that--nonsense.

• Reply 143 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    No, it's quite easy to understand. I build networks and software for a living.

Apple should explain this, though, instead of saying that the iPhone 4 hardware can't handle it. Instead, they should tell everybody that their networks and the various mobile networks can't handle the extra load.

The device is more than capable of handling it, even without HSPA+ speeds as evidenced by the Verizon iPhone 4S. Verizon does not have an HSPA+ network, yet FaceTime over 3G will be enabled on it.

Yet, FaceTime is only one of the features being held back from iPhone 4 users. What about turn-by-turn navigation? The iPhone 4 is obviously capable of it since there are myriad of Navigation apps (Navigon, TomTom, MapQuest) that do turn-by-turn. What's the excuse for holding back this feature?

Show me where Apple said the HW in the iPhone 4 any handle it.
  • Reply 144 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Show me where Apple said the HW in the iPhone 4 any handle it.

Apple runs the App Store, right? Additionally, they approve/deny additions to the App Store. They approved Navigon, MapQuest, TomTom, MotionX, etc.--all turn-by-turn navigation apps. They wouldn't approve apps for use on a device that they would not run on, right?

Therefore, Apple has implicitly said that the hardware can support these features.

• Reply 145 of 149
    Well, it's really a non-issue for me. I'll be able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it come out at the subsidized price.

And, frankly, I don't have a problem with Apple holding back features as long as they are honest about it. This nonsense about the hardware not being up to snuff is just that--nonsense.

"new iPhone"

Not the iPhone 5.

The 4s is the 5th gen.
  • Reply 146 of 149
    Apple runs the App Store, right? Additionally, they approve/deny additions to the App Store. They approved Navigon, MapQuest, TomTom, MotionX, etc.--all turn-by-turn navigation apps. They wouldn't approve apps for use on a device that they would not run on, right?

Therefore, Apple has implicitly said that the hardware can support these features.

You forget that the 4S has a better graphic processor or overall faster processor? Rendering the new maps in realtime will tax the older hardware.

Regardless of what people think, they do it simply because it didn't perform to the standard that they wanted. A marginal performance difference could have made the decision.
  • Reply 147 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Don't be obtuse. Where has Apple said the iPhone HW is incapable of handling FaceTime over 3G?

What you've done is not think through the reasons, made up an excuse, and then called Apple a liar for the excuse you invented.
  • Reply 148 of 149

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

You forget that the 4S has a better graphic processor or overall faster processor? Rendering the new maps in realtime will tax the older hardware.

Regardless of what people think, they do it simply because it didn't perform to the standard that they wanted. A marginal performance difference could have made the decision.

I have Navigon on my iPhone 4 and use it regularly. It does not lag. The performance is great. I even use their 3D Panoramic feature that does contour mapping. No problem. Looks and functions very well.

Navigon's developers found a way to make this work quite well on the iPhone 4. You're telling me Apple developers were not?

• Reply 149 of 149

Hi - just noticed FaceTime working over 4G in Boston w/unlimited grandfathered data plan. Tested & works great . Question - will upgrading to iOS 7 change anything? Still running 6.1.3. Thanks!