iPhone 5 will put Samsung's Galaxy S III to shame, says Foxconn CEO

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Didn't know Foxconnalready had complete and working iPhone 5's to be able to compare against the S3? Or he was jst talking out of his ass. I think it's he later one.

But this guy would say anything negative abot Samsung, regardless if it is true or not.

What he said....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sip View Post

The iPhone 5 launch (and availability) is at the most probably 3 months away. Apple will likely require millions of handsets on launch date, so it is quite possible that hardware production has already started, and the software install will happen closer to launch date.

In fact, it's very likely he at least knows the specs.  The latest the phone will be released is likely October.  I'd be surprised if they didn't at least have prototypes.  In fact, at this stage we know Apple has test units in the field.   I can only imagine their biggest manufacturing partner is on this list! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Not a fair comparison anyway. It’s apples and oranges. The New iPhone (5? 6?) should be compared to the 2013 Galaxy S IV Vision2Evolution. Which hasn’t been announced yet, but THAT is the phone that will attempt to clone the New iPhone. It’s just not fair to compare to a Samsung phone that’s still trying to be an iPhone 4.

I disagree with you.  We can only compare what's actually on the market.  When the iPhone "5" arrives, it will compete with what's actually available.  That is likely to be the SGSIII.   What you're saying is that we should, for example, compare the new iPad to the as-of-yet unreleased Surface.   It's silly. 

• Reply 62 of 134
    radarradar Posts: 271member

What a silly headline—Apple's initial iPhone of 2007 still puts the latest Samsung attempts to copy it to shame. Samsung are so far behind the originality/functionality curve they're sniffing their own derrières.

• Reply 63 of 134
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I run 5 widgets on my Android phone, one for weather and the rest are just system setting shortcuts i.e. turn on Wi-fi. I have used the other full blown widgets in the past but I'd rather just open up the app in most cases.

Your mother must be very proud of you!

Joined up handwriting can't be far behind...

• Reply 64 of 134
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Your mother must be very proud of you!

Joined up handwriting can't be far behind...

Umm I was just replying to another poster...

• Reply 65 of 134
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The photo shows that Android hasn't really changed too much on the surface.
    While Android is super-customizable... it has shipped in the same default state for years. Most people don't spend their time rearranging widgets and such anyway... but there are still plenty of improvements that were made to ICS.
    And when people mention Jelly Bean... I have to wonder how different it will be from ICS.
    When people say iOS has looked the same all these years... you can't forget about all the other stuff that has changed under the hood.
    Do I wish I could customize my iPhone's homescreen with all sorts of widgets? Sure... but I don't spend to much time staring at my homescreen anyway.

That's the beauty of widgets, a quick glance at the screen and you know the time and weather, or whatever other information is important.
  • Reply 66 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Let's keep the arguing purely topical. No need to get all up ons with someone's background, real or imagined.
    gtr wrote: »
    Joined up handwriting can't be far behind…

Ah, they don't teach cursive anymore. I think that's just plain sad, but I'm sort of old-fashioned. At least now we'll be able to tell generations apart with a very clear physical lack of ability.

And it gives the older of us a secret code in which to write.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/150828/iphone-5-will-put-samsungs-galaxy-s-iii-to-shame-says-foxconn-ceo/40#post_2131597"]
    About a decade ago. I know who the guilty are too.

Was that the last time you looked into a mirror?
  • Reply 68 of 134
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Let's take an example. Currently in iOS to check weather a user can either hold down the home button & ask siri or pull down notification center from home screen or go to the weather app from home screen. Now because Windows Phone supports 'live tiles' so in that UI, user only needs to go to home screen to check the live weather. Android also gives the similar functionality via their live widgets.

One could also look out the window for "live" weather.

• Reply 69 of 134
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    The rumored and desirable features for Android 5.0 Jelly Bean are as follows:

Power Management and Battery Efficiency (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)
    Faster Operating System (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)
    Universal Upgrade Path (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007) will likely never happen for Google Android
    File Manager (Will not be available for Apple iOS for some time, if ever)
    Language Support for languages other than English, Chinese and Spanish (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)
    Support for Landscape Mode (available in iOS 2.0)
    Chrome for Android browser (Full Apple Safari Browser available in iOS 1.0 since 2007)
    Improved Keyboard
    User Interface On/Off Toggles
    More Theme options
    Widgets on the Lock Screen
    Android Messenger (Apple iMessage avaialble since November 2011)
    Better social integration
    Deprecation of Adobe Flash (This was an initial design decision for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Based on the preceding list, Apple iOS 6 appears to be five years ahead of Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean.

Of course, this ignores a major issue. Any Android-based smartphone purchased even months after the release of Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean will likely never be upgraded to Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean. Apple provides iOS software updates years after the purchase of Apple iPhones.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The rumored features for Android 5.0 Jelly Bean are as follows:

Power Management and Battery Efficiency (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Faster Operating System (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Universal Upgrade Path (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Language Support for languages other than English, Chinese and Spanish (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Chrome for Android browser (Full Apple Safari Browser available in iOS 1.0 since 2007)

Improved Keyboard

More Theme options

Deprecation of Adobe Flash (This was an initial design decision for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007)

Based on the preceding list, Apple iOS 6 appears to be five years ahead of Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean.

Didn't the Safari for iOS only recently get tabbed browsing? Thats not really the same as saying it had the full Safari browser since day one.

Language support is MUCH better in iOS than Android.

Universal upgrade path? Not really true in iOS is it? 

• Reply 71 of 134
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Does it pass Acid3 with 100/100? Mobile Safari has always done that, if I remember correctly.
    More Theme options

Oh, bully!

Wait, Android's not supporting Flash anymore? So… so… but… no… we need Flash! It won't be the "true web" without Flash! This is wrong! No! This is Apple propaganda!
  • Reply 72 of 134
    snova wrote: »
    afraid of going blind or was it simply not that useful?

It really depends on the widget, I used it once on a twitter widget that wasn't long enough I stretched it upward and that was it. Nothing that's going to be used much but nice to be able to do.
  • Reply 73 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    You could say the same thing regarding the iPad 1 though as iOS6 is not supported on it and it was only released a couple years ago.

It's still a pretty good record. Much of the mobile device market doesn't provide two major OS updates on top of the original OS, and just about no other maker provides same-day updates for older units as they do newer ones. I think the other companies largely expect hackers to provide updates.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

How are any of these features useful to the average person, though? Have you ever noticed that the term 'killer feature' has never been mentioned alongside any of them?

Even people who actually have ICS (a whopping 7% of Android users) don't seem to care enough about them to upgrade. They're the technological equivalent of toys. Fun, but not necessary, and it does seem a little insane to attempt to judge an entire mobile OS on them.

Features found to be present in an OS are defined as 'tightly packed'?

WTF?

Considering the huge screen size of these phones, the re-sizable widgets where Gmail widget can be scaled to show just three recent e-mails at a time is an important advantage. To me it's a 'killer feature' where I don't have to go in to the app or in the browser to check recent e-mails.

To other x-user the data usage monitor could be the 'killer feature'. With the quick drag of a few sliders across a graph, one can quickly peruse a timeline of data usage, and narrow down which apps are the data-gobbling culprits. One can also set up warning when certain amount of data is used. 

I agree that all these features are not going to be useful to the average person but from software standpoint what I see is that we iPhone users currently does not have these capabilities. So why not accept it? Is it like when Apple add one android feature in iOS then suddenly it becomes necessary from it's previous 'not necessary'!

In my country, having an iPhone is like a status symbol due it's high price $900. On daily basis, here average iPhone user doesn't do much more on it then calling, messaging, music & web browsing. So they don't need these features. To them it's unnecessary. But to me these are essential/must-have features. And I would love to have those in my 4S but it pisses me off that I still won't get it in iOS 6.

People actually do care about the upgrade. Lot of people with Galaxy S II were waiting for ICS long time but Samsung delayed it for a while due to their stupid TouchWiz implementation. We currently have no information about upcoming features of Jelly Bean but similarly people who have bought phones like GS III or HTC One X will want to upgrade their OS to latest edition. Everybody knows that Android's major chunk of market share comes from low-mid range phones which are unable to run ICS. So adoption of latest OS will always going to be in lesser percentage. 

• Reply 75 of 134
    hill60 wrote: »
    One could also look out the window for "live" weather.

Very true but not always an option, one can also get a 3-5 forecast as well. That's a lot of looking outta windows.
  • Reply 76 of 134
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It's still a pretty good record. Much of the mobile device market doesn't provide two major OS updates on top of the original OS, and just about no other maker provides same-day updates for older units as they do newer ones. I think the other companies largely expect hackers to provide updates.

They're not really hackers but for lack of a better term I'll stick with it. It is ironic the a bunch of "hackers" can put ICS on older phones almost immediately after Google posts the source code, meanwhile it takes t he carriers months to do the same. Now hackers are the guys that figured out how to prevent a phone from being throttled.
  • Reply 77 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The rumored and desirable features for Android 5.0 Jelly Bean are as follows:

Universal Upgrade Path (This is a primary design parameter for Apple rather than an afterthought, available since 2007) will likely never happen for Google Android

Improved Keyboard

More Theme options

Of course, this ignores a major issue. Any Android-based smartphone purchased even months after the release of Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean will likely never be upgraded to Google Android 5.0 Jelly Bean. Apple provides iOS software updates years after the purchase of Apple iPhones.

This was a good laugh. All flat out lies. Love to see where you came up with fake this list other than the toilet paper you recently used. Android Messenger? Never happening, It's called Google Talk since day 1. Faster? JIT compiler since 2.2, Landscape mode? ...Really?

It's not like it took iOS years or anything to get basic functionality like copy and paste, multitasking, 802.1x, proper notifications....

• Reply 78 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

People actually do care about the upgrade. Lot of people with Galaxy S II were waiting for ICS long time but Samsung delayed it for a while due to their stupid TouchWiz implementation. 

You do realise you are talking about THE most popular version of Android, the one more people choose over any other based on Samsung's impressive shipping figures.

Touchwiz = Android for the majority.

Stupid, is it?

• Reply 79 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're not really hackers but for lack of a better term I'll stick with it. It is ironic the a bunch of "hackers" can put ICS on older phones almost immediately after Google posts the source code, meanwhile it takes the carriers months to do the same.

I prefer "slaves" i.e. unpaid workers.

• Reply 80 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

Samsung = No OS. Apple, Google, MS = OS.

Samsung has been, is, and will always be a component manufacturer. Too bad Koreans simply don't know how to do OS. Even though Sammy is working hard to have their own OS, like Tizen, it is bound to fail miserably. oh well, at least Sammy is making money right now and they should be happy about it.

You 100% fail.

Samsung owns Bada, and several million phones are out there running it. Every version gets closer and closer to being an Android fork too.