Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Comments

• Reply 81 of 229
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

7" is nice for portability however without a cellular option seems crippled in terms of mobile functionality. 

I agree, I wouldnt buy a tablet without a mobile service.

• Reply 82 of 229
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You prefer Apple's UI designs? You know, the ones with the stitching, torn paper, green felt, and reel to reel tapes?

At least Google actually know they're designing for a digital device.

This "designing for a digital device" stuff is nonsense. Android has a silly Tron-like theme and Metro tries to mimic a glossy print magazine. The problem is there's no such thing as a native digital "look." Supposedly "digital" styles try to mimic the limitations of old technology: monochrome, high contrast, pixelated, etc. There isn't a "style" inherent in modern digital high-DPI, true colour displays. Displays are used to depict things. You don't look at the display, you look at what's depicted, and they can depict anything, so everything is "digital."

• Reply 83 of 229
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

And Google just stuck a knife into Surface as well - even though it is not available for sale - not even with a date when - and offers little info on specs.  How is MSFT going to handle this?

I think you can make just as good an argument that Google just opened the door wide for Surface by driving the manufacturers they've undercut to Windows RT.

Who knows how it will ultimately play out. All I do know is that a 7" touch will bury this thing.

• Reply 84 of 229
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

AFAIK Adobe has ended flash support for mobile devices. Maybe seek advice about your growing hatred for users of another OS.

But Flash was SO important - So what's the value-add for Android now, more malware?

• Reply 85 of 229
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Why would anyone choose the iPod touch at this stage? It hasn't been updated since 2010. Let me say that again, September of 2010 was the last time it was updated. Apple needs to get off it's tail and step it up. Google is updating their OS once a year and Apple owners are starting to sound like old farts who wonder why the world moves so fast.

I would expect that the iPod gets an update this go around to the A5 and possibly larger screen.  It's only missed one update (Sept 2011) so it's not as dire as you make it out to be.

Google updating their OS once a year doesn't do much when ICS is probably still in the 10% uptake range.

• Reply 86 of 229
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    trumptman wrote: »
    It's been several months since the Fire came out. In semiconductor time that is like a decade.
    I'm sure they've got some updates in the pipeline as well. That said the Fire still is a dual processor chip. That isn't exactly a terrible performance option.
    These are tempting.
    Don't forget that in addition to Apple losing their mind and edge in software interfaces, they've pretty much stopped update a ton of software. When was the last time iMovie, iPhone, Pages, Numbers, etc all had updates?

Why would anyone choose the iPod touch at this stage? It hasn't been updated since 2010. Let me say that again, September of 2010 was the last time it was updated. Apple needs to get off it's tail and step it up. Google is updating their OS once a year and Apple owners are starting to sound like old farts who wonder why the world moves so fast.

Well ... We can safely ignore your posts.

Several months isn't "a decade" in "semiconductor time." Several months is significant but not a decade.

The 1 GHz TI OMAP 4 4430 (dual core) is not impressive at all with (essentially) Android OS 2.3.

Apple just released an updated version of iLiife 19 months ago and has added cloud integration for free in the mean time. Apple released an updated version of iWork just 10 months ago. Apple just previewed and released a beta version of iOS 6 a few days ago.
  • Reply 87 of 229
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

But Flash was SO important - So what's the value-add for Android now, more malware?

Exactly. The web is totally useless without Flash. Anybody who buys a device without Flash is a moron.

• Reply 88 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

Google-branded hardware has had excellent build quality so far, according to many reviews.  Why would you expect anything different this time around?  

Have you seen any reviews indicating that this tablet has substandard build quality?

Exactly, Apple use LG screens in some of their devices and LG are hardly known for quality products.

• Reply 89 of 229
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Oh and I forgot the UI that actually evolves and stays fresh. Some may not like it. I do and am happy with those evolutions.
  • Reply 90 of 229
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Oh and I forgot the UI that actually evolves and stays fresh.

*snort*

If you treat your phone's OS the same way you treat your lettuce, you're doing something wrong.
  • Reply 91 of 229
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Ahah look at all the fancy words you are using instead of opening your eyes, ecosystem, synergy lol.

Ecocsystem? A google phone is synched and backup to your google account and everything can be access on any computer without a particular program.

An upgrade on regular basis? Android upgrades each year.

Future support? I own a Nexus S and after 2 versions it will also support this (but what about Siri on iPhone 4 mmm)

What about REAL stuff like :

NFC support

Offline dictation

Great maps and navigation

A better notification center than on iOS

A voice search that actually answers your questions with a very good simulated voice

• Big Words: Sorry for the higher level of speaking, what grade level do you want?

• Ecosystem: lots of software, developer support, security, etc

• Future Support: My 3GS has had multiple updates...iOS 3.3, iOS 4 and associated updates, iOS 5 and associated updates, soon iOS 6.  Any Android phone have that many updates in 3 years?  Also, my next one will still work with everything I have now. Nexus 2 will run Jellybean??

• Upgrade: Apple updates iOS multiple times a year and it works with previous models.  See point above.  Name an Android device that has received that many updates to their software across the Android spectrum.

• NFC: Who needs it?  Never seen a terminal anywhere.

• Offline Dictation: Dragon Dictation - it serves my purposes.

• Maps: Mapquest works for me.  My car GPS is even better so who cares.

• Notifications: Works for me, whats so great that I should drop everything and get an Android based device?

• Voice Search:  I use the Google app for that and it works fine.

• Reply 92 of 229
    clemynx wrote: »
    Ahah look at all the fancy words you are using instead of opening your eyes, ecosystem, synergy lol.
    Ecocsystem? A google phone is synched and backup to your google account and everything can be access on any computer without a particular program.
    An upgrade on regular basis? Android upgrades each year.
    Future support? I own a Nexus S and after 2 versions it will also support this (but what about Siri on iPhone 4 mmm)
    What about REAL stuff like :
    NFC support
    Offline dictation
    Great maps and navigation
    A better notification center than on iOS
    A voice search that actually answers your questions with a very good simulated voice

Ecosystem. The ability to safely purchase Apps, Books, Movies, Music, Podcasts and TV Shows on your device and know that they are optimized for your device and are permanently stored in the cloud for you to use on demand is extremely powerful. Now that Apple has extended iTunes to more than 155 countries we will begin seeing the demise of Google Android. We understand that you, as an Android pundit, might not understand these concepts. Smartphones do far more than make telephone calls.

Software Updates. Frankly, this is one of the dozen major issues with Google Android. Google just doesn't care about consumers they care about their customers, the advertisers. Buying an Android-based smartphone today virtually guarantees you won't have Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for another twelve months, but most likely never.

NFC Support. Millions of people aren't walking into restaurants and paying for their meal with their Android-based smartphone. NFC Support is a gimmick.

Offline Dictation. I guess you need offline dictation when Google sells you a mobile device that isn't really mobile.

Great Maps and Navigation. 2D and 3D views with Flyover and voice-activated, voice-guided turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation and Yelp! integration that displays appropriate detail based on the zoom level in one Map! When will Google catch up?

Notification Center. Are you saying Google's notifications aren't very good?

Voice Search. Siri is absolutely amazing! Too bad that third-class wannabe from Google sucks so hard.
  • Reply 93 of 229
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Ecosystem. The ability to safely purchase Apps, Books, Movies, Music, Podcasts and TV Shows on your device and know that they are optimized for your device and are permanently stored in the cloud for you to use on demand is extremely powerful. Now that Apple has extended iTunes to more than 155 countries we will begin seeing the demise of Google Android. We understand that you, as an Android pundit, might not understand these concepts. Smartphones do far more than make telephone calls.

Software Updates. Frankly, this is one of the dozen major issues with Google Android. Google just doesn't care about consumers they care about their customers, the advertisers. Buying an Android-based smartphone today virtually guarantees you won't have Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for another twelve months, if ever.

NFC Support. Millions of people aren't walking into Starbucks and paying for their McDonald's with their Android-based smartphone. NFC Support is a gimmick.

Offline Dictation. I guess you need offline dictation when Google sells you a mobile device that isn't really mobile.

Great Maps and Navigation. 2D and 3D views with Flyover and voice-activated, voice-guided turn-by-turn dynamic touring navigation in one Map! When will Google catch up?

Notification Center. Are you saying Google's notifications aren't very good?

Voice Search. Siri is absolutely amazing! Too bad that third-class wannabe from Google sucks so hard.

They will never learn...

• Reply 94 of 229
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zklausz View Post

This looks pretty good actually.  Even if you are a die-hard apple person these specs at these prices with tighter software integration can only be a good thing for everyone (consumers).  Only $50 to double the capacity!?  I hope your listening Apple.  Not that apple hasn't done an amazing job with the iPad but it is nice to see the competition step it up.  If nothing else maybe this will make Apple rethink it's outrageous price jumps for the higher capacity models. AND if apple is planning to release a 7" this price point may definitely make them rethink their price points.  I mean a 3.5" 8gb iPod touch is the same price as this tablet.  Which would you choose?

Isn't that really $50 for another 8GB.  Seems the same as Apple's $100 for another 16GB.  I do like the additional competition, but I wonder if the price cut is largely because of the smaller screen and half the storage.

If Apple were to come out with a smaller iPad (and I am not saying they would), where would they price it?  With a 8GB iPod touch at $199 and the iPad 2 at $399, I guess it would have to be $299?  That is only $50 more than the 16GB version of this.  

• Reply 95 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Great Maps and Navigation. 2D and 3D views with Flyover and voice-activated, voice-guided turn-by-turn dynamic routing navigation and Yelp! integration in one Map that displays an appropriate level of detail based on the zoom level! When will Google catch up?

Umm it's Apple's maps that have a long way to go before the reach the same level as Google's, you have it backwards.

Siri is amazing..really?

• Reply 96 of 229
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

• Big Words: Sorry for the higher level of speaking, what grade level do you want?

• Ecosystem: lots of software, developer support, security, etc

• Future Support: My 3GS has had multiple updates...iOS 3.3, iOS 4 and associated updates, iOS 5 and associated updates, soon iOS 6.  Any Android phone have that many updates in 3 years?  Also, my next one will still work with everything I have now. Nexus 2 will run Jellybean??

• Upgrade: Apple updates iOS multiple times a year and it works with previous models.  See point above.  Name an Android device that has received that many updates to their software across the Android spectrum.

• NFC: Who needs it?  Never seen a terminal anywhere.

• Offline Dictation: Dragon Dictation - it serves my purposes.

• Maps: Mapquest works for me.  My car GPS is even better so who cares.

• Notifications: Works for me, whats so great that I should drop everything and get an Android based device?

• Voice Search:  I use the Google app for that and it works fine.

Using big words doesn't make you clever, and you know you shouldn't speculate on the level of someone you're talking to on the net. Anyway you chose to ignore my point. 

I had a 3GS too and loved it but I'm not the kind of person to keep the same cellphone for three years in a row. But that's just me, just as if you don't need NFC doesn't mean others don't use it, for file sharing or payment. 

I'm talking OS, you talk apps...
  • Reply 97 of 229
    urthourtho Posts: 17member

I have a Fire, and this is what I wish that was.  I can see myself selling the Fire to get one of these.  The device for me mostly replaces keeping my laptop in the living room, just to looks up something that came up in a show or the like, with a larger form factor than my iPhone.  On not having a 3G/4G radio, I am glad, I don't want the extra battery drain, or the carrier fee to use it.

7" is the perfect size as far as I am concerned, the same size as a paperback and about as heavy.  8 Hours is a lot of usage.  Yeah I can't fly cross country without the charger, but then I would be asleep for 90% of that flight anyway.

• Reply 98 of 229
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    I think it's quite clear now what the gameplan is ....  

With the scrapheap of 7-inch droidtabs a mile high, the Kindle Fire & the Nexus7 -- HORRIBLE name, by the way -- ARE NOT looking to compete with/surpass iPad.  

It is, quite literally, impossible. 

No ....  

What these POSes are looking to do is be the Pepsi to iPad's Coke ....

The Burger King to iPad's McDonald's ....  

The OS X to iPad's Windows -- a situation that's rapidly changing, yes, but you understand my point ....   

In other words, competitors are now looking to be the "Other Tablet".

And the Surface?  

Well, since the fact that it WILL NOT run W8 apps -- it's name notwithstanding -- is not yet well known, once it is, then it's buh-bye to that ....  

Besides, the smart money's saying Surface is something between Kin & Zune -- like the Kin, it will be released, but not last as long as the Zune. 

It's official -- Apple has now won the so-called "Tablet Wars". 

And I say "so-called" because was there really any doubt as to who'd come out on top? 

I mean, really?!? lol
  • Reply 99 of 229
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

AFAIK Adobe has ended flash support for mobile devices. Maybe seek advice about your growing hatred for users of another OS.

Doesn't the Windows 8 Surface support Flash?  Isn't it a mobile device?

• Reply 100 of 229
    fredaroony wrote: »
    Umm it's Apple's maps that have a long way to go before the reach the same level as Google's, you have it backwards.

Siri is amazing..really?

Apple Maps have a long way to go? Do you have any evidence? Does Google Maps have the following:
    2D "standard" views
    3D "standard" views
    2D "hybrid" views
    3D "hybrid" views
    2D satellite views
    3D satellite views
    3D Flyover
    traffic indicators
    voice-activated search
    voice-activated, voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation with dynamic routing
    Yelp! integration

Maps functionality was previously provided by Google's architecture and infrastructure and Google chose to not provide 3D Flyover or voice-activated, voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation with dynamic routing to the Apple iPhone. Now that Apple is providing their own architecture and infrastructure Apple iPhone has 3D Flyover or voice-activated, voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation with dynamic routing. Maps is now clearly superior.

Siri is amazing! Do you have any evidence to the contrary?