Google unveils Android-powered 'Nexus 7' tablet starting at $199

Comments

• Reply 121 of 229
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

1340831324198.jpg

Looks nice isn't it? Unfair to a beta? Then stop comparing the future apple maps to the current much better google maps. 

This is fully loaded btw

• Reply 122 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

No. Just more dishonesty.

You have never used Google Maps on an Android device then.

It has all of those features and has had those features for years.

• Reply 123 of 229
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

No. Just more dishonesty.

Troll

• Reply 124 of 229
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I don't get the Ecosystem argument these days.  Google has an amazing ecosystem with Google products that people use everyday.  Search, Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc.  How come nobody counts that in the ecosystem?   On this front, Apple's "ecosystem" only works if you never ever stray outside the Apple Store for electronics.  Easy for the AI faithful.  Most real world humans aren't like that.  They might be somebody like me (iMac, Apple TV, Android phone) or more than likely Windows/iPhone/iPod.  Etc.

As for media.  Google Music.  I've uploaded my whole iTunes library.  Books.  Google's got a decent collection of eBooks last I checked.  Movies.  I'll concede this one.  Google seems to be behind on licensing content. 

On the whole, the ecosystem argument is really starting to wear thin on us regular folk.  Not all of us are Apple all the time.  And for us the Apple ecosystem is not as fluid as some would make it out to be. 

Agree on the NFC argument too.  Every iFan will call it a gimmick till the new iPhone launches with an NFC chip and Passbook supports mobile payments.  Will it be a gimmick then?  Google deserves criticism for not doing much with NFC or for the flop that is Google Wallet.  But the tech itself?  Calling it a gimmick?  Really?

Great post! Get ready to be called a Apple hater though.

Yes I don't understand the ecosystem argument anymore either. Google Play is fantastic, you can now install, update and uninstall apps directly from a web browser without touching your phone.

• Reply 125 of 229

Quote:

Agree on the NFC argument too.  Every iFan will call it a gimmick till the new iPhone launches with an NFC chip and Passbook supports mobile payments.  Will it be a gimmick then?  Google deserves criticism for not doing much with NFC or for the flop that is Google Wallet.  But the tech itself?  Calling it a gimmick?  Really?

For NFC- I'm really glad that Google has brought it to markets outside of Japan.

What's limiting NFC in the US:

-lack of OEM adoption

-Isis competing with Google Wallet

-US carriers being stupid US carriers

-limited (but growing) number of NFC payment stations.

I pay for almost all of my public transit tickets with Google Wallet and I pay for things like food / drinks with it too. It's second nature to me at this point, but I think it would be cool if more people could experience it too.

• Reply 126 of 229
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    mausz wrote: »
    Then let the consumers decide...

I think it's a pretty sweet tablet for an excellent price. Together with all the content streaming services which were shown, the Nexus Q integration and the hardware itself, I consider myself a potential customer.

Why buy it at that price when you can get a refurb iPad 2 16GB from Apple for an extra 60 quid?
  • Reply 127 of 229
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So... what you are buying is "price"!

How about price and portability?

I used my cousin's iPad 2 for a few weeks.  I found it cumbersome to read in bed.  I'd prefer something smaller.  That's the first problem with the iPad.  Next, the iPad is overkill for most people.  $600-$700 to read books, browse and watch movies?  And that's really what most people do on it.  I'm planning on getting an iPad eventually anyway to use iWorks/iLife apps on the go.  But for lying around reading?  This thing is it.

And the reason I'd prefer this over the Kindle Fire is because of the devices capabilities and the fact that I don't really shop at Amazon all that often.  Really, if you've ever used an Android phone, this thing will beat the pants off the Kindle Fire simply because you'll have much better app selection on a device that has Jelly Bean than on the Kindle Fire, stuck on Gingerbread.

• Reply 128 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Great post! Get ready to be called a Apple hater though.

Yes I don't understand the ecosystem argument anymore either. Google Play is fantastic, you can now install, update and uninstall apps directly from a web browser without touching your phone.

its true and why i went with galaxy nexus and now the nexus 7. apple can't touch google for web based apps, mail, etc and combined with amazon cloud for my music and books i can access damn near everything from any machine.

apple is for old people and the ignorant who wish to part with a lot of hard earned money so they can feel like 'rebels'. old hippy rebels and young 'rebels' too dumb to see how dead that is.

• Reply 129 of 229
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    X86, so it would install desktop Flash. The RT version wouldn't support it, I don't believe.

RT supports flash video only.
  • Reply 130 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ha Ha! I wouldn't buy a vehicle without in-dash GPS because any auto trim package I would consider automatically comes with it along with all the other screen based features for backup video, music, phone integration, systems status, voice activated search etc. plus it is a nice big screen. I suppose you would recommend some third party iPad dash mount kit that obstructs your windshield instead?

I'd recommend turn-by-turn directions on your phone and that you keep your eyes on the road.

• Reply 131 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its true and why i went with galaxy nexus and now the nexus 7. apple can't touch google for web based apps, mail, etc and combined with amazon cloud for my music and books i can access damn near everything from any machine.

apple is for old people and the ignorant who wish to part with a lot of hard earned money so they can feel like 'rebels'. old hippy rebels and young 'rebels' too dumb to see how dead that is.

I wouldn't go that far, I still use a iPad but have tried a Motorola Xoom. Android still has a way to go to be great on a tablet but I am very happy with my HTC One X.

Airdroid is a great app too! http://airdroid.com/

• Reply 132 of 229

Quote:

I'd recommend turn-by-turn directions on your phone and that you keep your eyes on the road.

The only problem with this is when you are making calls. I found it equally as bad on iOS and Android.

On long trips I use my One X as a phone and my 4S as a dedicated GPS running tomtom

• Reply 133 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

7" is nice for portability however without a cellular option seems crippled in terms of mobile functionality. 

Seems like the Nexus 7 was using T-Mobile for connectivity.

• Reply 134 of 229
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    RT supports flash video only.

I guess that's through Flash embedded in IE, right?
  • Reply 135 of 229

Quote:

I wouldn't go that far, I still use a iPad but have tried a Motorola Xoom. Android still has a way to go to be great on a tablet but I am very happy with my HTC One X.

Airdroid is a great app too! http://airdroid.com/

I should have kept my One X... But I'm REALLY happy with my Galaxy Nexus. Have a 2000mah battery in it and it doesn't die. Only complaint is the average camera, but I have a compact DSLR anyway, haha

• Reply 136 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Why buy it at that price when you can get a refurb iPad 2 16GB from Apple for an extra 60 quid?

Other than the size (which comes with its own disadvantage: weight), I fail to see how an iPad 2 is more capable than this.  The internals are better.  And it's 63% more ppi.  That's near retina display quality.

And at the end of the day, if I don't need the iPad's size, or Apple's ecosystem, that's 60 bucks that I can use elsewhere. 

• Reply 137 of 229

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess that's through Flash embedded in IE, right?

Correct.

To my knowledge, you can't change the browser in RT. You're stuck with internet exploder.

• Reply 138 of 229

Quote:

The only problem with this is when you are making calls. I found it equally as bad on iOS and Android.

On long trips I use my One X as a phone and my 4S as a dedicated GPS running tomtom

Why is it a problem when making calls?  Isn't that what Voice Actions (Android) and Siri (iOS) are for?

• Reply 139 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You could remove it and it part of the playstore app. Its similar to someone complaining about the stocks application on an iphone

Well, you can remove the Windows crapware, too. But, no, it's not similar to the Stocks app on the iPhone, since the purpose of that is not to sell you something.

Some of the built-in apps on the iPhone, like Stocks, probably shouldn't be part of the OS (but are for legacy reasons), but some, like (Apple) Maps, shouldn't be removable because developers should be able to expect them to be there. But, none of these represent the same thing as what we are talking about here.

You could argue it's like the iTunes app, but that doesn't display ads on your lock screen.

• Reply 140 of 229
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member

All you android morons listen up. no matter how much you praise Google, numbers tell the whole story. As of now, Apple NET Profit > Google Revenue. That's how pathetic Google is. They just don't know how to make money doing whatever they do. As seen in Apple's case, BIG MONEY is in hardware. Contents are just bait to draw people to buy hardware.

Google is a company made up of Bookworms and Geeks. Just look at those presenters who came on stage at the Google I/O today. All Geeks.

Google is a company that has lost focus in a hurry, becoming more and more like their best friend Sam-Suck. Look at the idiotic thing Google created, called Google Glass. Those Google geeks actually think people will carry a smartphone AND a Google glass at the same time? give me a damn break. Total joke.

Google wishes they can collect licensing fees from OEMs for android, just like MS does for windows. However, they are bound to the agreement with whole bunch of OEMs from day 1 of android and because of this they have to keep distributing android for free.