Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    hungover wrote: »
    Exactly what is "post pc" anyway?

It's a label for a vision in which the traditional PC (Windows or Mac) isn't the primary computing device that people use most of the time. For example, a growing number of people don't need a PC to get on the Internet today: smartphones, iPads offer the easiest and most convenient on-ramp without all the overhead of owning a PC (weekly Windows updates, mandatory reboots, virus scanning, cleaning up temp files on your disk, rotating login passwords, updating drivers, running defrag, solving general PC problems). That wasn't the case 10 years ago, when mobile networks were terrible, mobile phones were crude and terrible at web browsing, wifi was non-existent, and tablets were heavy Windows convertible laptops with clunky pen input and unusefully short battery lives.

Yes, the laptop has made the PC more portable, but it hasn't reached and will never reach the level of pervasiveness of, say, pocketable smartphones. I can check emails and the web, or tweet without a PC while waiting in the checkout line. Instant-on, no waiting, always available. A traditional PC can't compete with that.

The post-PC era (as Steve Jobs used it) didn't mean the PC went away, as some Windows fans seem to think. Or that post PC devices had to do everything that PCs do to be relevant (the "it's just a toy" argument). It is simply no longer the only choice for doing the things that traditionally required computers. I would argue that for being connected to the web, it is actually better. And by Steve's estimation, the PC will one day be relegated to certain niches. The PC hasn't reached niche status yet, but don't be so quick to dismiss Steve's prescience. Doubters should bookmark this post and come back in 5 years when things have settled down.
  • Reply 202 of 206
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a label for a vision in which the traditional PC (Windows or Mac) isn't the primary computing device that people use most of the time. For example, a growing number of people don't need a PC to get on the Internet today: smartphones, iPads offer the easiest and most convenient on-ramp without all the overhead of owning a PC (weekly Windows updates, mandatory reboots, virus scanning, cleaning up temp files on your disk, rotating login passwords, updating drivers, running defrag, solving general PC problems). That wasn't the case 10 years ago, when mobile networks were terrible, mobile phones were crude and terrible at web browsing, wifi was non-existent, and tablets were heavy Windows convertible laptops with clunky pen input and unusefully short battery lives.

Yes, the laptop has made the PC more portable, but it hasn't reached and will never reach the level of pervasiveness of, say, pocketable smartphones. I can check emails and the web, or tweet without a PC while waiting in the checkout line. Instant-on, no waiting, always available. A traditional PC can't compete with that.

The post-PC era (as Steve Jobs used it) didn't mean the PC went away, as some Windows fans seem to think. Or that post PC devices had to do everything that PCs do to be relevant (the "it's just a toy" argument). It is simply no longer the only choice for doing the things that traditionally required computers. I would argue that for being connected to the web, it is actually better. And by Steve's estimation, the PC will one day be relegated to certain niches. The PC hasn't reached niche status yet, but don't be so quick to dismiss Steve's prescience. Doubters should bookmark this post and come back in 5 years when things have settled down.

Thanks for the reply.

So if apple ever merge OSx and iOS will it be a "Post- post PC +" device?  ;)

• Reply 203 of 206
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    hungover wrote: »
     Thanks for the reply.

So if apple ever merge OSx and iOS will it be a "Post- post PC +" device?  ;)

The Mac will be phased out to niche devices within the next 10 years. It is already starting. iPads now outsell Macs what, 5 to 1? Remember just a few years ago when it was selling 1:1 with Macs.

Most people can't live without a smartphone. An office desktop? They'd ditch without thinking twice.
  • Reply 204 of 206

Steve Jobs was one of the greatest contributors to computer evolution. He created things that really put a mark in the world of technology. I admire Steve Jobs a lot. I am glad to know that he has a memorial page on Evertalk within Facebook where you can find his biography. Here is the page: https://apps.facebook.com/evertalk/index/memorial/stevenjobs129

• Reply 205 of 206

He had an absolute passion for what he did and I respect that a great deal. Thanks for the heads up on Evertalk page Christina.
  • Reply 206 of 206
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristinaSmythe View Post

He had an absolute passion for what he did and I respect that a great deal. Thanks for the heads up on Evertalk page Christina.

how quaint. Spammers who thank themselves for spamming?