Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 206

No woz!

• Reply 162 of 206
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Life is short. Make the most of it. It is so sad to see Steve Wozniak and Bill Gates now so "senile". Live everyday of your life like ~you~ want to. Because when you're 60 and backing a nonsense product, the sun has set on your horizon, and you will be put out to pasture by the market. I wish Steve Wozniak and Bill Gates all the best, and I admire their charitable work which clearly outclasses many people. But in terms of "the cool in thing", they are authorities no more, no more.

The MacBook Pro Retina and the iPad 7" will probably not really have the touch of "Steve".

To even suggest Steve Jobs "came back" to "Microsoft" is utterly insulting to his memory, at the very best.

Steve lives in all the products that came out up to the point of the Retina iPad. Beyond that, I see a bit of a divide now.

May The Divine Bless You Steve, wherever in this or another universe you are.

May you be reincarnated how you want to, not in Microsoft, for sure.
  • Reply 163 of 206
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    bladedag wrote: »
    You said it matey "we don't not know if it works yet" so why say how good it COULD BE! Wait until it is in the shops (?) then see how quickly it becomes as useful as you think - as Steve Jobs said people do not know what they want so he gave us all products were different. Now he is gone we all have a duty not to slide back to the crap old days again - making rubbish from rubbish is not interesting, this is war........

War? No idea what you are talking about. As for rubbish, that's what the Surface is and what Microsoft has become. Welcome to the post-PC world. Enjoy your stay.
  • Reply 164 of 206

sr2012 - my post is reffering to the Surface (rubbish made from rubbish) - I am an Apple dude - you got it wrong way around in your post, I'm already in the post PC world  - the 'war' is against a resurgence of MS crap. Stick with Job's vision and give people what they do not know about - read his book ;)

• Reply 165 of 206
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Oh my...

There is nothing more to say!
  • Reply 166 of 206
    gtr wrote: »

I sense great anger. The Dark Side is strong with this one...

Everybody step back before a light-saber battle ensues...

LL

I am just recovering from a face trauma which left me a lot of stitches.
    You should not be allowed to post this level of funny comments.
    I can feel the stiches cracking open again.
    Ouch!
  • Reply 167 of 206
    lamewing wrote: »
    I said it before he died and I'll say it again....Jobs was a dick, a good salesman with grand ideas, but still a dick. I still love the quote about his anger towards Google "copying" iOS and wanting to waste every penny of Apple's money to go "thermonuclear" on Google. Real level-headed guy. I hope people still remember where Jobs got the idea of the Macintosh OS from...oh the irony (and yes I lived through that time).
    If you had only the slightest clue about what you are talkin, you stopped saying what you've just said.
    Sad really sad such comments.
  • Reply 168 of 206
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BladeDag View Post

I like rubbish cheap wine - does not make me a wine connoiseur, Woz likes rubbish gadgets that aren't developed + produced = ignore him, just another cupboard closet MS geek who has a grudge against Apple.

If only you knew how crazy you sound.  I mean come on, re-read your post and ask yourself if that's seriously what you believe.

Some immaturity of fanboys on the internet never ceases to depress.

• Reply 169 of 206
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    That's the genius of Woz!</p>

I don't think anyone's saying that Woz wasn't a good engineer. Clearly, he had the ability to do some brilliant things 30+ years ago.

The question, though, is why that makes his opinion on modern consumer devices relevant. His ability to design a printed circuit board doesn't make him an expert in UI design or evaluating a modern phone or tablet ecosystem. Heck, his ability to solder a printed circuit board doesn't even make him an expert in evaluating modern phone hardware.

I would go even further - his engineering genius probably makes him LESS qualified to comment on modern phones than the average person. He's a geek. Maybe the king geek. Uber geek. Emperor of geeks. If you're a geek who likes assembling your own printed circuit boards, compiling your OS, hacking all the devices you have, then his opinion is probably relevant. If you're an average user? Not so much.
  • Reply 170 of 206
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    The Surface is about getting far more expensive software, which Microsoft make a lot of money from, onto tablets. The iPad model is based on insanely inexpensive software that Microsoft does not profit off of, certainly not in any appreciable manner.

If a lot more consumers are turning to their iPads more often and iPads become progressively more capable - which they will - that's bad news for a major player in software running on traditional computer platforms. So of course it is in Microsoft's best interests to get standard (and far more expensive) software running on tablets.

It is ironic that Apple's closed system has led to access to absurdly inexpensive software from a wide variety of software developers whereas the open system favored by Microsoft has ended up making Microsoft insane amounts of money.

Is this Jobs re-born? Not quite.
  • Reply 171 of 206
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Other than dating Kathy Griffiths he hasn't done anything of note for at least 30 years...

I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that one...

• Reply 172 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It could just as easily be said that without Woz there would be no Apple -- there would be nothing [hardware or software] for Jobs to market -- nothing for Markkula, et al to use to build a company.

I disagree. Jobs was a visionary. He was an opportunist. He saw how he could use people to achieve a goal. Perhaps even goals those people didn't think they could achieve. If he hadn't found Woz he would have found someone else, something else, to change the world. He might not have started Apple but I think he would have changed the world in the some way.

Jobs simply has too many amazing wins under his belt to call it a fluke. Even his biggest failure, NeXT, was sold for half-billion dollars, is the foundation for the world's 2nd most common OS, was the start of so many great things in computing, and was really only hampered because he couldn't sell in the consumer sector.

Woz is brilliant. No one is denying that. Woz would have always become a brilliant engineer without Jobs, but I doubt that Woz would be a name we know today without Jobs. Perhaps he would be a footnote in history somewhere the way many brilliant people are that never became the face of a revolution. He might have stayed at HP because it's a good job that paid him very well and appreciated his work. He might have set HP so far ahead of the industry that the world might still be chasing them and their OS today but I don't think Woz would be known as the sole engineer responsible for it all even if he was the catalyst.

I know many brilliant people. Perhaps not as brilliant as Woz at engineering, but people that are far smarter than the average person (several of them from this forum) and yet most of them all have one thing in common, they don't have the drive or passion to be as quixotic or hubristic to think they can actually change the world. I would say they all wish they can, but like me, they've done nothing that ever seriously achieve that goal. That is the element I think Woz and the rest of us are missing. That is the element that Jobs had.
  • Reply 173 of 206
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I disagree. Jobs was a visionary. He was an opportunist. He saw how he could use people to achieve a goal. Perhaps even goals those people didn't think they could achieve. If he hadn't found Woz he would have found someone else, something else, to change the world. He might not have started Apple but I think he would have changed the world in the some way.

Jobs simply has too many amazing wins under his belt to call it a fluke. Even his biggest failure, NeXT, was sold for half-billion dollars, is the foundation for the world's 2nd most common OS, was the start of so many great things in computing, was really only hampered because he worked at Apple and therefore couldn't sell in the consumer sector.

Woz is brilliant. No one is denying that. Woz would have always become a brilliant engineer without Jobs but I doubt that Woz would be a name we know today without Jobs. Perhaps he would be a footnote in history somewhere the way many brilliant people are that never became the face of a revolution. He might have stayed at HP because it's a good job that paid him very well and appreciated his work. He might have set HP so far ahead of the industry that the world might still be chasing them and their OS today but I don't that Woz would be known as the sole engineer responsible for it all.

I know many brilliant people. Perhaps not as brilliant as Woz at engineering, but people that are far smarter than the average person (several of them from this forum) and yet most of them all have one thing in common, they don't have the drive or passion to be as quixotic or hubristic to think they can actually change the world. I would say they all wish they can, but like me, they've done nothing that ever seriously achieve that goal. That is the element I think Woz and the rest of us are missing. That is the element that Jobs had.

A full quote... because ya hit it outa the park with this post Soli!

Makes everyone sit up and think a bit, doesn't it? Well... not "everyone": we know who they are still pondering their "soup". Problem is, they don't know yet... and probably never will. <sigh>

• Reply 174 of 206
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

I have no problem with Woz touting Android, Windows, or any other tech but either being deceitful or ignorant in claiming that a reincarnated Steve Jobs would create this gimmick notebook with the Win 8 Metro UI mess, stylus and keyboard.  Jobs specifically planned the iPad without a keyboard and stylus. 

• Reply 175 of 206
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member

At the point when you become senile, you should just quit talking.

• Reply 176 of 206
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member

Microsoft Surface. WHO CARES!!! Nothing new. Moving along. Its an iPad + Bluetooth keyboard but with a crappy UI.

The only true competitor was WebOS till HP backed out.

• Reply 177 of 206
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Jobs simply has too many amazing wins under his belt to call it a fluke. Even his biggest failure, NeXT, was sold for half-billion dollars, is the foundation for the world's 2nd most common OS, was the start of so many great things in computing, and was really only hampered because he couldn't sell in the consumer sector.
    Woz is brilliant. No one is denying that. Woz would have always become a brilliant engineer without Jobs, but I doubt that Woz would be a name we know today without Jobs. Perhaps he would be a footnote in history somewhere the way many brilliant people are that never became the face of a revolution. He might have stayed at HP because it's a good job that paid him very well and appreciated his work. He might have set HP so far ahead of the industry that the world might still be chasing them and their OS today but I don't think Woz would be known as the sole engineer responsible for it all even if he was the catalyst.

Oddly, I agree! Had Jobs been the HP engineer who created the Apple I -- he would have convinced HP to take it on!

Woz has drive and passion but it is circumscribed by what he knows, likes and feels comfortable with.

Jobs had unlimited hyper-drive and passion!
  • Reply 178 of 206
    jcdinkins wrote: »
    At the point when you become senile, you should just quit talking.

...or posting!
  • Reply 179 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Oddly, I agree! Had Jobs been the HP engineer who created the Apple I -- he would have convinced HP to take it on!
    Woz has drive and passion but it is circumscribed by what he knows, likes and feesl comfortable with.
    Jobs had unlimited hyper-drive and passion!

1) It's not odd that you agree with me. It just means you are intelligent enough to recognize genius. ????

2) I see Woz and Jobs as looking in different directions. Woz took a microscope to tech to see how he could make it better whilst Jobs took a telescope to see how he could move the stars to suit his needs. Both with a vision. Both with dedication and focus. Both fundamentally different personalities and goals. I wonder how much of Jobs is based on his environment and how much is based on his biological acumen. Nature v. nurture. I ask this because it seems to me that being successful is usually not a result of being smart but being dedicated and much of Jobs success seems not to be a desire for understanding and knowing (as I see with Woz) but a desire to conquer, to control, to shape. Surely I've gone off track here but I do wonder if abandonment issues are key to his overwhelming success in business.
  • Reply 180 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    I have no problem with Woz touting Android, Windows, or any other tech but either being deceitful or ignorant in claiming that a reincarnated Steve Jobs would create this gimmick notebook with the Win 8 Metro UI mess, stylus and keyboard.  Jobs specifically planned the iPad without a keyboard and stylus. 

It is difficult to assign motive, personality traits or intelligence to someone without having direct contact with that person.

I had frequent contact with Woz in the years 1978-1989... I can assure you that Woz was neither deceitful nor ignorant. I have not seen Woz in person since 1989, but have seen his videos and read his published thoughts... I don't believe that Woz has acquired the traits you ascribe to him.

Let me give you some examples of Woz in action:

Woz would often drop by our main store in Sunnyvale* -- often to buy things, see what was happening in the world of computing outside of Apple... or just show the flag. Often he would be accompanied by friends like Andy Hertzfeld, Bruce "Tog" Togazinni -- many of whom he attracted to come to work at Apple.

* Located at Fremont and Mary in Sunnyvale, Computer Plus was about 7/10 mile from Apple headquarters and a few blocks from Woz' parents house in Sunnyvale. Woz' younger brother Mark was a 1/3 owner of our stores.

John Draper "Cap'n Crunch" was a compatriot of the 2 Steves from the "phone-phreaking" days. Draper was an odd character, technically competent with few friends. Draper lived in a minimum-security prison somewhere in the East Bay (AIR, he was convicted of defrauding AT&T). Draper had a mind full of technical ideas and no way to express them -- as there was no computer gear available to him at the prison. Every month or so, Woz would pick up Draper and bring him to our Sunnyvale store... so draper could get hands on computer time -- Draper was writing EasyWriter (in Forth), the initial WP program for the IBM/PC.

Woz would spend quite a few hours baby-sitting Draper** and ferrying him back and forth to the prison. Woz was rich, busy and important -- this was a completely selfless act on behalf of a friend... We'd all benefit from a friend like Woz.

** Draper had a volatile personality with child-like mannerisms. When he encountered a programming problem, it was not unusual for Draper to stand up and scream at customers and staff, alike: "I can't concentrate... Stop talking!". Woz would treat Draper like a child and calm him down... rinse and repeat. (our customers and staff were alerted to Draper's potential fits of behavior and just ignored him... God help someone if he came into the store smoking a cigarette).

The absolute dumbest thing I ever saw Woz do was the Porsche saga:

Woz bought an entry-level Porsche (I don't recall the model number). Woz liked the car, but realized that he should have bought the next model up. So, instead of selling and rebuying he decided to rebuild his model to the equivalent of the next higher model. Every week or so, Woz would come by the store to show off the progress on his upgrade... one time it would be Recaro seats (at $1,600 a pop), a new engine or just the latest tune up. It was like a TV mini-series, and we could hardly wait for the next episode.

One day, Woz came into the store smiling from ear to ear... the upgrade was finished (at about double the cost of the higher model). Anyway, Woz wanted to show off, so he offered to take me on a mini-tour of the back roads of Sunnyvale and Cupertino... a 4-5 mile drive. Long story, short -- the tour took about 45 minutes and the "finished car" never got above 13 MPH.

I never did see Woz drive that (or any) Porsche again... I guess the mini-siries was cancelled.

In summary, Woz was/is ia nice guy, supportive, open, helpful (a tad naive, maybe) -- but never deceitful or ignorant!

Written using the newly-installed Mountain Lion GM.