Steve Wozniak on Microsoft Surface: 'Steve Jobs came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Because you are an idiot and have no frame of reference.  His 3 chip disk drive interface design was such an improvement on the disk interface cards which at that time required over 30 chips to function that people actually teach it in classes and use it to show how electronic designs can be *BEAUTIFUL* as well as functional.  He can design computers around you in circles, and by that, I don't mean buy off the shelf parts and assemble them.

Not to mention, the Apple ][ had ROM containing Integer BASIC, 6502 Assembler, HiRes graphics, Color LowRes graphics, serial I/O, sound... All these we're sophisticated hardware and software implementations.  These were Woz' areas of expertise... Not to demean Jobs, but he had no abilities in these areas.

• Reply 122 of 206
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Woz is still an Apple employee. His ID number is 1.

The ID number of Steve was 0 before he left Apple - I don't know if he got that back when he returned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

And by the way, he is technically still employed by Apple and receives a token paycheck believed to be around $120K a year... Not that he needs it, seeing as he's quite wealthy and owns quite a few Apple shares.

I was quoting Mr Wozniak himself when I referred to his wish to return to work for Apple, so if you have an issues with whether he is still actually employed or not you'll need to take them up with him.

He seems to think he isn't, not in any official capacity at least.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/08/us-apple-wozniak-idUSTRE7375PU20110408

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the guy for his accomplishments, contributions, and for his truth and honesty.

• Reply 123 of 206
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

And you are a fucking idiot

Quote:

Because you are an idiot and have no frame of reference.  

I sense great anger. The Dark Side is strong with this one...

Everybody step back before a light-saber battle ensues...

jedi_squirrel.jpg

• Reply 124 of 206
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

It's funny what some people are comfortable saying now that Steve Jobs has passed.

Saying MSFT anything is like Steve Jobs would have brought quite the tongue lashing from Steve himself.

Anyway, as for Woz. His opinion means nothing to me.

• Reply 125 of 206
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Give Woz a break. He had a senior moment. He actually meant to say,

'Michael Spindler came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

• Reply 126 of 206
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    [COLOR=blue][/COLOR]I just realized .... Woz was being ultra sarcastic!

I hope!
  • Reply 126 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Give Woz a break. He had a senior moment. He actually meant to say,

'Michael Spindler came back reincarnated at Microsoft'

Der diesel ist in the house!

• Reply 128 of 206
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    65c816 wrote: »
    And you are a fucking idiot if you believe anyone can walk around and spend counterfeit bills without the government closing down on them.

You are probably talking about:  http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/the-engadget-show-017-steve-wozniak-sony-ngp-playstation-ph/  at the 35:00 point.

Since you're obviously a moron, and I hate arguing with morons, here's what he did.

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/kkvz4/til_steve_wozniak_prints_his_own_money_and/

You can find the link to the higher quality printer in that article too.

I can't believe that he really thinks that counterfeiting is legal. Even if it meets the US government specs, it's still illegal - and he surely knows that. Furthermore, he publicly admitted doing it. My immediate thought was that it was a practical joke - and someone else agrees with me:
    http://www.bollywoodtorrents.me/threads/315103-Apple-Computer-co-founder-Steve-Wozniak-uses-and-prints-fake-money
    "For those that know anything about him, it should come as little surprise that eccentric Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak is the quasi-prankster in question.

Wozniak makes a habit of buying uncut sheets of US $2 bills directly from the US Treasury. (Anyone can do this, and the sheets are available from many coin collecting shops, but buying US currency in uncut sheets costs more than the bills' total face value.) He then ships the sheets to a private printing shop, which binds them into perforated coupon book-like pads of tear-off $2 bills.

Wozniak enjoys the private joke of people believing he's handing them counterfeit bills when he offers them his tear-off $2 notes. The custom-bound bills are perfectly legal tender as the gum-binding and perforation process don't alter any of the identifying marks on the notes. It's simply that most people don't have the time, resources, or sense of humor to pay extra to custom-bind their petty cash."
  • Reply 129 of 206
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The Microsoft Surface is the future of computing. Even if it fails as a device it is the direction all tablets are going. 

Sorry but no. If the Surface fails, especially the Surface Pro, it will NOT be the direction that all tablets go. They will go the opposite because the designers will see that trying to shoehorn a full computer into a tablet isn't the right direction by a long shot

• Reply 130 of 206
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The Microsoft Surface is the future of computing. Even if it fails as a device it is the direction all tablets are going.

At the moment, it seems that Apple's direction is the only one connected to marketshare + profit.

Apple first introduced the iPad in January 2010, and since that time nearly every competing "direction" has been proven to either be a complete failure, or disconnected from any meaningful consumer attention. 

Microsoft's latest attempt to "be Apple" is not only late, it's not a game-changer. And what the market requires now to challenge Apple is a bona-fide game-changer, not a flappy-keyboard convertible that is suddenly now manna from heaven for all the MS fans who were complaining about Apple's dedicated hardware, and that consumers didn't have a "choice" of OEMs. All of a sudden these OEMs that were so loved by MS fans are now regarded with suspicion, with some folks calling for a wholesale lockout of all OEMs. Suddenly (we're told) they don't "deserve" to produce Microsoft's latest science fair contraption.

Apparently, a "walled garden" is now the in-thing in Redmond.  LMAO

• Reply 131 of 206
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member

Is Steve on Acid?

• Reply 132 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

Is Steve on Acid?

Wrong Steve!

• Reply 133 of 206
    ryzryz Posts: 5member

There is a reason why Woz isn't part of the Management Team at Apple from a long time ago. He'd lost his marbles even back then.

• Reply 134 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYZ View Post

There is a reason why Woz isn't part of the Management Team at Apple from a long time ago. He'd lost his marbles even back then.

Woz never was, or wanted to be, in management -- he is an excellent engineer... He understands and accepts that, what's your problem?

• Reply 135 of 206
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Speaking his mind, sans any silly brand-bias, is all that he's displayed time after time... Good Work Woz.

Too bad more of the Apple people here cannot do the same. (This also applies to those who practically worship MS / Google / Sony / Nintendo / etc)

• Reply 136 of 206
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

It's funny what some people are comfortable saying now that Steve Jobs has passed.

Saying MSFT anything is like Steve Jobs would have brought quite the tongue lashing from Steve himself.

Anyway, as for Woz. His opinion means nothing to me.

I said it before he died and I'll say it again....Jobs was a dick, a good salesman with grand ideas, but still a dick. I still love the quote about his anger towards Google "copying" iOS and wanting to waste every penny of Apple's money to go "thermonuclear" on Google. Real level-headed guy. I hope people still remember where Jobs got the idea of the Macintosh OS from...oh the irony (and yes I lived through that time).

• Reply 137 of 206

Without taking away from anything Woz has ever accomplished, I have express my distaste for his comment about Steve Jobs being "reincarated at Microsoft." It's nonsense. And an insult to everything Jobs ever achieved or created.

• Reply 138 of 206
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I like Woz's mentality. 

there is nothing wrong with being pro-technology & pro innovation.

Its very wise of him to only comment on stuff he knows about & owns or experiences, i try to be the same.

people shouldn't get bent out of shape over anything he said.

• Reply 139 of 206

If Woz wants to contribute then he should go back to Apple.  He should stop firing spitballs from the outside.  It's not helpful to his legacy and it's not helpful to Apple's.

• Reply 140 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    God it's so annoying that every time Woz opens his mouth some tech site runs with it and then it becomes big news.