Jury likely to decide Apple and Samsung case as parties fail to narrow dispute

Comments

• Reply 101 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I'll keep that in mind. Sadly, I don't have a lot of transgender acquaintances. Living in Irvine, in Orange County is a rather sanitized version of Southern California.

I don't either. I assume it's mostly our lifestyle and the rarity of the occurrence that makes it unlikely for us to encounter this in the real world. I do recall hearing the "he, she, it" reference from people many years ago (perhaps from even myself) and wondering what the proper term and realizing that "it' is exceeding offense to refer to any human being. But all that is really off topic from an already off topic conversation. :D
  • Reply 102 of 179
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The causes for why immigrant -- even non-immigrant, non-ethnic -- cultures sometimes clump together are complex and varied.

To suggest that it has to do with 'real and extreme foreign nationalism' is facile.

I'll give you complex and varied, not facile.

For example nearby in Santa Ana, not even the Mexicans and the Guatemalans get along, especially during World Cup.

• Reply 103 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For example nearby in Santa Ana, not even the Mexicans and the Guatemalans get along, especially during World Cup.

What a childish example.

That's exactly what I meant by 'facile' (I was being polite).

• Reply 104 of 179
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Of course you are technically correct however I believe it is worth mentioning that many immigrants to this country live in tight knit communities for many generations. Examples of Vietnamese, Chinese and Koreans are all quite evident at least here in Southern California. An example is my next door neighbor, who is Korean, a naturalized citizen and has lived here for more than 50 years yet doesn't speak a word of English. They have a business in a Korean section near Los Angeles and they live entirely as they did in Korea. The street and business signs are in Korean and you would be hard pressed to hear any English being spoken in the street yet a large majority of these people are Americans. I'm not claiming that the judge is at all prejudiced by her ethnicity but the the foreign nationalism of some cultures within the US is real and very extreme. The older European immigration into the US had the same effect for only a generation or two. The Asian cultures are much more resistant to integration in my observation. Obviously there is a similar situation with Mexican Americans.

And, yet, the claim was made that she is biased simply because of her Korean heritage. No evidence, not facts, nothing - just pure, outright bigotry.
  • Reply 105 of 179

I agree with anantksundaram. Your example is demonstrating a facile disagreement. You can't get more superficial than sport teams from different nations competing against each other.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 106 of 179
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Doesn't mean they pass the legal tests for prior art. Especially on terms of the specifics of the patent. And specifics are very important. You can have two things that are 99.9% the same but on that last detail they are different and thus legally there is no violation. Many parallel developed tech come down to that notion. Looks the same to the user but is implemented a different way and the implementation is specified in the patent. So it was two folks with the same idea at the same time, but no violation. Many of the ideas that Apple 'steals' are this game.

You mention candy bar phones. I had one. A Nokia. Had a grid of icons on a little screen above the keypad. Is that prior art. Likely not since I didn't touch that grid to select one but used an arrow key on the keypad. Some of the phones Samsung submitted could come down to the same thing and the jury will likely say no they aren't prior art for Apple's 'specific' patent

i've used every iphone since the 3G and have seen other phones. i don't know how you can be confused by them. apple deserves some good technical patents for iOS, but if i was on the jury i'd rule for samsung on the design patent issue. i don't see how the iphone design is so unique and samsung is copying it to the point of confusion

• Reply 107 of 179
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[sketch]

Always love those.

• Reply 108 of 179
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You can't get more superficial than sport teams from different nations competing against each other.

Except when they start shooting, stabbing and beating each other. My sports team reference was probably irrelevant.

I liked your clip though

• Reply 109 of 179
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Of course you are technically correct however I believe it is worth mentioning that many immigrants to this country live in tight knit communities for many generations. Examples of Vietnamese, Chinese and Koreans are all quite evident at least here in Southern California. An example is my next door neighbor, who is Korean, a naturalized citizen and has lived here for more than 50 years yet doesn't speak a word of English. They have a business in a Korean section near Los Angeles and they live entirely as they did in Korea. The street and business signs are in Korean and you would be hard pressed to hear any English being spoken in the street yet a large majority of these people are Americans. I'm not claiming that the judge is at all prejudiced by her ethnicity but the the foreign nationalism of some cultures within the US is real and very extreme. The older European immigration into the US had the same effect for only a generation or two. The Asian cultures are much more resistant to integration in my observation. Obviously there is a similar situation with Mexican Americans.

You guys need to understand that people of different cultures always stick together, no matter what. If I killed someone and it was on video but the judge was of the same culture, I guarantee 100% he'd find me not guilty. It seems that Europeans don't have the same loyalties to their fellow immigrants, doesn't mean others don't.

Judge Koh is and will forever be in favour of Samsung because it is from her native land, if you don't want to believe it then that's your problem.

• Reply 110 of 179
    ewan wrote: »
    You guys need to understand that people of different cultures always stick together, no matter what. If I killed someone and it was on video but the judge was of the same culture, I guarantee 100% he'd find me not guilty. It seems that Europeans don't have the same loyalties to their fellow immigrants, doesn't mean others don't.

Judge Koh is and will forever be in favour of Samsung because it is from her native land, if you don't want to believe it then that's your problem.

That is fucking BS and you are a bigot.

PS: Note that I didn't make sure your skin colour and ethnicity were different from mine before I disagreed with your racist statement.
  • Reply 111 of 179
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    solipsismx wrote: »

That is fucking BS and you are a bigot.

PS: Note that I didn't make sure your skin colour and ethnicity were different from mine before I disagreed with your racist statement.

I'm not sure that he is necessarily a bigot if he is asserting that all cultures behave this way. Delusional, certainly. Projecting, maybe.
  • Reply 112 of 179

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm not sure that he is necessarily a bigot if he is asserting that all cultures behave this way. Delusional, certainly. Projecting, maybe.

See, this is how you get out of jury duty. Just say you're prejudiced against all races.

• Reply 113 of 179
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Just curious - how do you manage to survive in junior high without getting beat to a pulp for being a loud-mouthed, obnoxious bigot?
  • Reply 114 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

I'm the ignorant one? You are calling her American when she is clearly of Korean-American. I know you are a racist and would love to strip everyone of their culture and race for your own personal hatred. Don't assume if you don't know, and don't talk if you don't know.

So what you're saying is jragosta is a racist because he called her American instead of Korean-American? Then who gets to be called 'American' without a modifying adjective in front of the word? Tell me: what race/culture gets to use the unmodified descriptor 'American'? And who decides that?

• Reply 115 of 179

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tell me: what race/culture gets to use the unmodified descriptor 'American'? And who decides that?

Maybe the same people that get to decide that "American" isn't the demonym for our country and can only be applied to a "one continent" view of both Americas. image

And NO, I don't want to start that argument again. image

• Reply 116 of 179

Quote:

Google’s Motorola Files New Patent Case Against Apple

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-17/google-s-motorola-files-new-patent-case-against-apple-at-itc

Whatever, Samsung is not the last one.

Good Luck with that

Apple is 'one and only' trouble maker in industry.

World will be a better place if without Apple

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

do you need a hug?

hopefully he'll get one from a grizzly bear with a sore tooth and a grudge against brainless trolls with stupid numerical names

• Reply 117 of 179

Quote:

When does your white pointy hat and gown come back from the cleaners? And apparently they've got '2 for 1' Cross burning kits down at your local store........

• Reply 118 of 179
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I love Apple but for the sake of humanity I hope they lose! Apple losing will set an example for every other corporation who tries to bully the small guy. Go Samsung! Free Apple Juice for everyone when Apple loses.

I think you have lost perspective on exactly what Apple has achieved. They are still very much the underdog in an industry with many entrenched players. They took a huge gamble by disrupting a market that was treating phones like disposable fashion accessories rather than a device designed with function and user experience in mind. Samsung had 20+ years to develop an iPhone-like experience for their users. They didn't because they had no vision for the future. They were too busy trying to copy the Nokia look (apparently with no appreciation for how the placement of buttons/menus contributed to the Nokia experience).

You only need look to their poorly managed legal team to understand the difference in corporate ethos between the two companies. I hope Samsung get nailed to the wall by their own internal documents.
  • Reply 119 of 179
    al_bundy wrote: »
    i have a lot of apple stuff at home but...
    I love it when someone starts a post like this. It's the equivalent of saying, "I'm not lying, but...", this lets me know I can disregard anything they have to say.
    ...there were lots of candy bar style phones out before the iphone...

Also, I have never considered an iPhone as being a candy bar style phone, if I remember correctly, before the iPhone, such a style was more commonly called a pocket pc style or PDA style.
  • Reply 120 of 179
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

I'm the ignorant one? You are calling her American when she is clearly of Korean-American. I know you are a racist and would love to strip everyone of their culture and race for your own personal hatred. Don't assume if you don't know, and don't talk if you don't know.

Quote:

It's so silly that others don't realize you're trolling here, or they do but still get pulled in. By such logic many people would need to identify themselves as Caucasian-Americans. Perhaps if you found a judge of this descent with an interest in Buddhism, people would claim they're biased in favor of Apple. I laughed thinking about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm calling troll on him. He got a response, and it was most likely mission accomplished.