Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Unless you suddenly became a moderator, I clearly wasn't referring to you.

No, he was asking if he was the troll you referred to that Tallest Skil was backing.  See you can make a mistake and the world didn't stop spinning.

• Reply 202 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Agreed, minus hyperbole. And I can guarantee you that when a megalomaniacal, precision-driven, nit-picking, approve-everything CEO isn't CC'd on an e-mail, there's probably a reason.

Why don't you explain what that reason is? You apparently know everything. /s

Let me try:
    1. Eddy Cue was flat out lying and completely misrepresented everything Jobs said. Yet he got to keep his job. And there's no evidence to support your allegation that he was lying.

2. Apple executives probably collectively send thousands of emails every week. There was no reason for Jobs to receive all of them - he was copied when he needed to be copied, but not on every email.

Which one is more plausible?
  • Reply 203 of 213
    mstone wrote: »
    When the moderator gives props to trolls, I know this thread has gone way off the reservation and considerably north of crazy town.

Think different.
  • Reply 204 of 213
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Well men, you won this thread...

There are over 200 posts related to size, what you can and can not do with it, and also how much it's supposedly worth compared to something larger.

If you could just focus on this in more depth perhaps you could give us the fractional (display) details... Oh wait... CHECK! Covered!

Bravo!

Can we just say let them make it and let the public vote?

Large screen t.v.'s come to mind if i try to think like a guy. I may have missed the age of things getting smaller, (other than my horrible iPod) however my generation is seeing displays getting bigger and gaining more density pixel wise.

I'm not prognosticating, just mentioning proven fact, albieit obscurely.

...and if they came out with a bigger iPad that was still 'retina', I would try to be the first to buy it!

Much dismay toward my horrid fascination, not much trolling here. Neither real or fabricated from normal posters. I believe pgkavana purposely skewed his grammar and normal written speech pattern just to remain elusive. I'm going to see if I can bring some friends in for this. I want to win the contest!
  • Reply 205 of 213
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    No, he was asking if he was the troll you referred to that Tallest Skil was backing.  See you can make a mistake and the world didn't stop spinning.

No. No real trolls... Not even from regular posters. At least on this thread. Although I may have missed a few posts. I try to read quick! Quick like bunny! :o)

The world will not stop spinning during your, or my, lifetime. Enjoy!

I said that rather "matter of factlly". Sorry. It's VERY unlikely that it will stop spinning during both of our lifetimes.
  • Reply 206 of 213
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member

Looks like a lawsuit will be coming Apples way!!!   They are coping!!!!!!

• Reply 207 of 213

Whatever that comes is going to be fascinating. Those who don't own an iPad, may still like to buy this smaller iPad.

And for some, it might be just like a secondary iPad.

I will definitely get myself, this smaller one.

• Reply 208 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vadania wrote: »
    Large screen t.v.'s come to mind if i try to think like a guy. I may have missed the age of things getting smaller, (other than my horrible iPod) however my generation is seeing displays getting bigger and gaining more density pixel wise.

No, you're simply looking at only a piece of the picture. Sure, TVs have gotten bigger in recent years. But not everything has. TVs are meant to be permanent and say in one place for long periods of time, so the effort required to carry them is largely irrelevant. But even there, look at the thickness of modern TVs compared to previous generations.

Look at digital cameras - a camera is about 1/4 the size of one with equal quality from just a few years ago.

Or maybe laptops. Compare the weight of a MacBook Air to laptops of just a few years ago.

Or even cell phones. Even with the recent trend toward increasing sizes, all modern cell phones are a tiny fraction of the size when they were introduced.

Or you might compare the size and weight of an eReader with 100 books to the size and weight of 100 books.

There are plenty of examples where things have gotten smaller. And, in general, for portable devices, there's a move toward smaller devices.
  • Reply 209 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    No, you're simply looking at only a piece of the picture. Sure, TVs have gotten bigger in recent years. But not everything has. TVs are meant to be permanent and say in one place for long periods of time, so the effort required to carry them is largely irrelevant. But even there, look at the thickness of modern TVs compared to previous generations.
    Look at digital cameras - a camera is about 1/4 the size of one with equal quality from just a few years ago.
    Or maybe laptops. Compare the weight of a MacBook Air to laptops of just a few years ago.
    Or even cell phones. Even with the recent trend toward increasing sizes, all modern cell phones are a tiny fraction of the size when they were introduced.
    Or you might compare the size and weight of an eReader with 100 books to the size and weight of 100 books.
    There are plenty of examples where things have gotten smaller. And, in general, for portable devices, there's a move toward smaller devices.

He chose a bad example in TVs. I guess he never lugged around one of those photo album type CD case or a few books on vacation when now all that and then some can be put on a smartphone or tablet. TVs and even cars have gotten bigger but just about everything else has gotten streamlined.
  • Reply 210 of 213
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

He chose a bad example in TVs. I guess he never lugged around one of those photo album type CD case or a few books on vacation when now all that and then some can be put on a smartphone or tablet. TVs and even cars have gotten bigger but just about everything else has gotten streamlined.

For devices that are supposed to be manipulated by humans with their hands there is a size limit as to how small they should be. The iPhone is about as small as a touch screen device should ever be. Perhaps it is almost too small which is why we see larger smartphones coming to market. A 7+ inch device is appropriate for the average size hand and is also quite adequate to view a paragraph or two of text at a reasonable font size based on typical human visual acuity. 

• Reply 211 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For devices that are supposed to be manipulated by humans with their hands there is a size limit as to how small they should be. The iPhone is about as small as a touch screen device should ever be. Perhaps it is almost too small which is why we see larger smartphones coming to market. A 7+ inch device is appropriate for the average size hand and is also quite adequate to view a paragraph or two of text at a reasonable font size based on typical human visual acuity. 

What about the current gen iPod Nano? That's a pretty small, semi-usable touch screen. It all depends on the UI.

On a different note, I think they should add a pause/play button (double click to skip the current song and triple click to go back) on the next gen iPod Nano, iPod Touch, and iPhone between the volume buttons to make it easier to use eyes free. While I love the remote an mic earbuds that come with the iPhone, anyone who wants to get higher quality, affordable earbuds currently has to go without the remote. Frustrating. Anyone agree?

• Reply 212 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Too large to type on with two thumbs, too small to type on with two hands. Sounds like something of a problem to me.

Maybe you should use the product before passing judgment? There hasn't even been an announcement yet and there is no info on it. You have no idea what the design intent is for the iPad-mini. It might be as simple as reading books using an e-ink screen.

• Reply 213 of 213

Originally Posted by pragmatous View Post

Maybe you should use the product before passing judgment?

I've used my iPad's keyboard in portrait, so that's the 7" device's keyboard in landscape. I've seen the keyboard of existing 7" devices in portrait, so there's my reference for that. 

You have no idea what the design intent is for the iPad-mini. It might be as simple as reading books using an e-ink screen.

Then it is an immediate failure and has a purpose unlike every Apple product prior.