Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 213
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None. So stop this crap. I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

You're correct that the contents of your posts rejecting the possibility of an iPad Mini hardly warrant an apology (which should be saved for much more substantive things than rumor-mongering), you are being a bit disingenuous to claim that you've only expressed your opinion about whether Apple will release a smaller iPad. You've actually made substantive arguments, and those arguments appear to be on the verge of being disproven. It's not just that you now believe it's going to happen, you also were just plain wrong in your analysis. It happens to the best of us, but it's not like there was one final "this proves it" thing. Credit is due to those who discovered and reported (not commented in a forum) the evidence which revealed that the iPad Mini is happening.

• Reply 102 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Seems Apple will have truly made a 'toy' in that case. How much work can really get done with one finger?

Yeah, no one could ever do anything on a screen smaller than 10". It's absolutely inconceivable that anyone could ever use a 3.5" screen for accessing the internet, playing games, or watching movies, for example. /s

You still haven't explained how a screen 4 times the size of an iPhone is impossible to work on when lots of people have no problem using an iPhone.
  • Reply 103 of 213
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    andrey wrote: »
    Medical industry actually has two possible area of use. First - physicians and iPad hands down is the king here. I see no place for mini here. Second and absolutely MASSIVE scenario is phlebotomy and Apple is absolutely out of the picture so far for absence of infrared scanner on device. Some big hospitals have as many as 8K users and they all want to scan labels - specimens, tubes, patient braslets etc. On this field our best seller is pocket PC version even though we offer software for iOS/Android with Bluetooth scanner. Btw they login to the system with badge scanning too.

Thanks for your information. Clearly there are multiple uses for iPads within each medical/scientific niche. We use ours exclusively for X-rays.
  • Reply 104 of 213

The release of a 7" iPad is all about maintaining or increasing market share. It probably won't be as nice to use as a 10''.

But it's should crowd out some competitors and bring more people into the Apple house.

And of course it will push up Apple's stock.  Hold on to your stock.

• Reply 105 of 213
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Personally, I'd rather they go the same route as the Mac-book line.  If they're going to offer the iPad in differing sizes, why not do what the Mac-books do.

For example:

iPad 9 = 9.7" current model

iPad 7 = 7.85" future model.

It might be argued that they round-up the size but it seems everyone keeps calling the 7.85" the iPad 7"...but then again everyone seems to call the current model the 10" iPad, when it's only 9.7", which is inconsistent, since if you were rounding up, the 7.85 is closer to 8" than 9.7" is to 10".  Granted the competition has already established this kind of nomenclature, but it would make more sense since it's on Par with the rest of the Apple lineup (i.e. Macbook Pro 13, Macbook Pro 15, MBAir 11, etc...)

Or, it could be 10" iPad and 7" iPad.  That would be way better that iPad, and iPad mini, IMO

• Reply 106 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Macotakara's report on Saturday also claimed that Apple is planning to introduce a new iPod nano and iPod touch later this year. In particular, the new iPod nano "may equip" a Wi-Fi antenna in order to make content from iTunes available wirelessly.

The same site reported in July that Apple's next iPod nano could be like a small iPhone, with a rectangular touchscreen and a home button. That report also said that it would feature a dedicated built-in iTunes service.

Looks like Gruber might be right about the separate events.

I really hope this is true about adding a WiFi antenna to the iPods.  I just hope it's not true that the nano get's the larger touchscreen.

What apple needs to do is redesign the iPods so that they are more user friendly for "eyes-free" use.  Bring back more tactile functionality.  I thought the click-wheel was perfect for that.  No matter what Apple does, having a touchscreen on a dedicated audio device just doesn't work.  The iTunes and Music and podcast apps on iOS really SUCK!  They're slow, extremely unresponsive, they take too many "taps" to get to where you want to get.  There is no quick way to go back, forward, play/pause or volumes quickly in iOS, especially if the device is in your pocket.  IT JUST PLAIN SUCKS.

What I want to see, not that anyone cares:

1. the Nano and Shuffle converge into a single device...keep the nano form and touchscreen but add a way to play/pause FF/RW button on the device.

2. keep the Classic, but replace the HDD with an SDD in 64gb and 128gb, add Wifi with iTunes sync.  Add a still photo camera, and keep the form factor and click-wheel, but lighter weight and slightly smaller.

IMO, the classic was almost perfect, it just seems like since iOS became so huge, they decided to forget about it.  Now I think many people (at least the ones i talk too and read from)  still want a dedicated audio device that's not iOS-based.  So I really hope we get a great swan-song iPod classic and a much more converged micro-iPod line.  

Is that so much to ask?

However, I've been preparing myself for Apple to drop the classic for about 2 years now so i'll be first in line to get a couple new classics should they be discontinued and Apple goes full-iOS with the entire iPod line too.

• Reply 107 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    starburst wrote: »
    The release of a 7" iPad is all about maintaining or increasing market share. It probably won't be as nice to use as a 10''.
    But it's should crowd out some competitors and bring more people into the Apple house.
    And of course it will push up Apple's stock.  Hold on to your stock.

The market share is huge already, why does it need to get bigger?
  • Reply 108 of 213
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

People refuse to face the fact that the 10 inch iPad is designed for home use, people walking with it look ridiculous outside. This is why the 7 inch iPad is more than welcome!

• Reply 109 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Did you miss the whole iPod era?  iPodTouch era?  Apple makes appliances, they don't fulfill the particular market you're talking about.

I don't understand; Apple doesn't make products for people who want to get things done?

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

There's no reason it has to be worse at anything. If the tech can be put into an iPhone, it can certainly go into a slightly smaller iPad.

Can we establish, though, that there are sizes at which tablets will not work?

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

What apple needs to do is redesign the iPods so that they are more user friendly for "eyes-free" use.

Siri.

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

People refuse to face the fact that the 10 inch iPad is designed for home use, people walking with it look ridiculous outside.

No one has ever walked around carrying a book. Of any size. That would be ridiculous. 

• Reply 110 of 213

After reading all this, it's clear why this crowd doesn't work for Apple's design or marketing team.

• Reply 111 of 213

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

After reading all this, it's clear why this crowd doesn't work for Apple's design or marketing team.

You gotta clarify, you mean my side or the other side? Please say "all of us".

• Reply 112 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    No one has ever walked around carrying a book. Of any size. That would be ridiculous. 

No one has ever carried around a paperback book, either. Those 10" coffee table books are good enough for everyone. /s
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The market share is huge already, why does it need to get bigger?

It doesn't NEED to, but why wouldn't they try to increase their sales and market share?
  • Reply 113 of 213
    jragosta wrote: »
    No one has ever carried around a paperback book, either. Those 10" coffee table books are good enough for everyone. /s
    It doesn't NEED to, but why wouldn't they try to increase their sales and market share?

Because Apple wouldn't release a inferior product to increase sales and market share.
  • Reply 114 of 213

Dear dasanman69, I hope you're kidding.

Here are Gartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.

iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012

Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012

Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.

QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.

Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.re aGartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.

The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.

iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012

Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012

Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.

QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.

Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.

Note:  Apple's Market share for tablets was 66.6% in 2011, projected to be 61.4% in 2012. I believe I remember when Apple's share was over 75%.

The android smaller tablets have eroded Apple's share and I am for one happy to see Apple respond.

• Reply 115 of 213
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Quote:

A smaller iPad would be worse at everything the iPad can do. Lower resolution, shorter battery life, slower processor, worse graphics, gimped connectivity, and we're hearing it might have a plastic back. The only benefit, if you can call it that, is that it's smaller. Big whoop.

People say, 'portability'. You can't put this thing in a pocket. You have to carry it around in a hand, just like you would a regular iPad, only this one is so small that it barely justifies carrying it around in that manner. "So they put it in their purse," they say. So Apple's supposed to make a product only for women? I mean no disrespect to men who carry purses, but come on. That's not a valid reason to make a product.

People say, 'cost'. That's why the iPad 2 is still for sale. In seven more months, the iPad 2 will be $299. That kills every other tablet on the market right now, even more so than the 70+% shipment and 95% use of the iPad over other tablets already does. Cost is the reason the iPhone 4 and 3GS are still for sale. They fill the low-end gap that the "iPhone nano" was imagined to fill without making compromises in the way of features like a smaller simultaneous iPad would. 

People say, 'usability'. I say, "Yes, lessened." Size-wise it comes out to, what, about half the size of the iPad. Cut an iPad in half and that's about what a 7" one would be, right? And let's assume the "thinner side bezel" bit is true. That drops at least one way of holding it in landscape and nearly every comfortable way in portrait. But even if there's a uniform bezel, it's going to be just large enough to not be graspable (not holdable, graspable) with a single hand. The size (specifically width) makes it psychologically close enough to a phone that people'll desire to hold it like one. And when they can't, there'll be trouble. And this whole bit has just been about hardware; imagine the keyboard on this thing. No ten finger typing for anyone, no sir. Not even children. 

Where do you get your information? Obviously not from simple logic/common sense.

Lower resolution, It will be the same resolution as a regular iPad, only with a higher DPI because of the smaller screen. The iPad 2 is perfectly usable and while we also have an iPad 3, it's not a big difference unless you switch between them

Shorter battery life: How do you figure this? Smaller screen means less power. Components become more efficient. The A5 die has been shrunk.

Slower processor: Slower than what? The iPad 3 processor is the same as the iPad 2 but with faster graphics. This would be a die shrunk version of the iPad 2. No performance difference.

Worse graphics: See above

Gimped connectivity: It would have the same connectivity as the iPad 2 and there's no reason it wouldn't. Worst case scenario is no 3G or no 4G. Most people don't care and don't use it anyway.

And we're hearing it might have a plastic back: Do you have some really, really reliable source where you've gotten that information? I haven't seen anything to support that and there's no reason for Apple to use plastic if they are going for thinness. I was pricing manufacturing a product and aluminum is still the best material from a cost standpoint.

Portability: I would use an iPad Mini and I'm a man. Why? Simple.  It will have the same function as my iPad 2, but weight half as much and be small enough to fit in a cargo pocket. That's not a primary reason for the size.  I'm not sure if you have a family or not but any child/teen would want an iPad and being a little smaller is good for a) little fingers b) overloaded backpacks. My manliness is not dependent on having the biggest device.

Cost: The new product will be less than the iPad 2 and the iPad 2 will most like stop being produced, or will maintain the $399 mark. I think you are assuming that technology does not change. Apple can produce a product that weighs less, is thinner, offers the same user experience if not better, updates all the ports and sensors and hits the same, if not cheaper price point.

Usability: You have some valid points. A 7" device is 1/2 the size of the iPad, but an 8" device is 60% of the size. I don't think this will be a huge difference for *most* people since most people don't use the device to type essays like this comment. If you do a lot of typing, get a keyboard, use Siri dictation, etc.  *Most* people will use this to search the web, play games and check email and most people will love it for that.  What you are also discounting is using this device to control a second screen with enhanced AirPlay, etc.

For the rest of us... there's the regular iPad.

• Reply 116 of 213
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

I won't be saying one word apologetic or inversely or anything if one is released. I don't have to. There's no social or moral obligation to apologize for thinking a terrible idea is a terrible idea. I'm certainly no longer certain that there won't be one, I'm just certain it's a useless product. 

No one ate any hats when the iPhone nano never happened. That's that.

You are wrong. It is not a terrible idea - it is a great idea. You are simply feeding your own prejudice by being locked into a position. You need to learn to brainstorm and open up to possibilities. I'd wager you are not employed in any kind of creative work. You speak with certainty but I doubt if anyone here cant see that its just chest beating bull. You are certain it will be a useless product? Really? Like so many here declared the iPhone and the iPad  few short years ago. 

• Reply 117 of 213
    gwmac wrote: »
    If they are going to price this puppy competitively to compete at around the $199 level they will have to skimp on a few bits and pieces. It will be entry level. Otherwise it might cannibalize the iPad 3 sales if the specs are too good.

If they start this off at $199...mark my words it will cannibalize the IPad 3 by at least 50-75% this Holiday season. It will be THE GIFT to buy.

Edit: And that kind of scares me. Because despite what people say, the 10" iPad will take a huge hit for no other reason than price. When it all comes down to it...the average consumer will 100% of the time choose price and sacrifice usability. All we will hear is, "yeah, I went or the 7" because it was cheaper, I dont need the bigger screen anyway, this is just as good and sooo much cheaper".
  • Reply 118 of 213
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

If they start this off at $199...mark my words it will cannibalize the IPad 3 by at least 50-75% this Holiday season. It will be THE GIFT to buy.

Edit: And that kind of scares me. Because despite what people say, the 10" iPad will take a huge hit for no other reason than price. When it all comes down to it...the average consumer will 100% of the time choose price and sacrifice usability. All we will hear is, "yeah, I went or the 7" because it was cheaper, I dont need the bigger screen anyway, this is just as good and sooo much cheaper".

Like the 11" mba over the 13" mba, and 13"mbp over the 15"mbp?

• Reply 119 of 213
    starburst wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]Dear dasanman69, I hope you're kidding.[/SIZE]

<span style="font-family:Georgia, serif;line-height:1.5em;font-size:14px;">Here are Gartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.</span>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<span style="font-size:14px;font-family:Georgia, serif;line-height:1.5em;">Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.</span>
    [SIZE=14px]<span style="font-family:Georgia, serif;line-height:1.5em;">re aGartner’s figures for worldwide unit sales and market share for tablet computers in 2011 and projections for 2012.</span>
    [/SIZE]
    <p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]The figures are broken down by operating system. Android includes Samsung’s Galaxy tablets along with modified versions of Android used in Amazon.com Inc.’s Kindle Fire and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Tablet. Tablets based on Windows will come out later this year with the Oct. 26 release of Windows 8. The report came out before Research in Motion Ltd. announced yet-another delay in its new BlackBerry 10 operating system, which could affect sales for 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]iOS (Apple Inc.’s iPad) — 40 million units, 66.6 percent share in 2011; projected 73 million units, 61.4 percent share in 2012[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Android (Google Inc.) — 17.3 million units, 28.8 percent share in 2011; projected 37.9 million units, 31.9 percent share in 2012[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Windows (Microsoft Corp.) — none in 2011; projected 4.9 million units, 4.1 percent share in 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]QNX/BlackBerry (Research in Motion Ltd.) — 807,000 units, 1.3 percent share in 2011; projected 2.6 million units, 2.2 percent share in 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Other — 1.9 million units, 3.2 percent share in 2011; projected 510,000 units, 0.4 percent share in 2012.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]Note:  Apple's Market share for tablets was 66.6% in 2011, projected to be 61.4% in 2012. I believe I remember when Apple's share was over 75%.[/SIZE]</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:22px;font-size:1.5em;line-height:1.5em;font-family:Georgia, serif;">[SIZE=14px]            The android smaller tablets have eroded Apple's share and I am for one happy to see Apple respond.[/SIZE]</p>

Your point is? Since when has Apple cared about market share? Did they make a cheap net book to counter the ones flooding the market? Have they lowered the price of Macs to compete with PCs? No. None of their product lines have ever been a response to what the competition is doing. Why start now? A smaller iPad will cannibalize sales of the current iPad.
  • Reply 120 of 213
    No, thats ridiculous. Have you forgotten that even now it's not called the iPod Touch...the Android trolls still call it the iTouch!

My theory,
    It's referred to commonly as the iTouch because people are too stinking lazy to type it all out. Seriously, twitter and texting have nearly ruined comprehensible type-based writing for normal human beings.

Really people is Pod touch that much more effort?