Apple's 7.85-inch iPad will in fact be named 'iPad mini' - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 213
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mstone wrote: »
    I think it is some 'Disciples of Steve' thing. Steve said they did some studies and 7" was not very useable (paraphrasing) so that is now gospel truth. Also since Android already came out with a mini tablet, if Apple were to release one then the Android fans would be ridiculing Apple for copying. Something along those lines is what makes these naysayers tick.

What people don't seem to grasp with respect to the things Steve has said is that the guy was a natural born salesman. A good salesman sells what you have available to sell and not what the guy next door has. You don't walk into a Ford dealer and expect the salesman to sell you a Chevy. It is sad that so many on these forums don't have a clue in this respect.

I mean really some people are just so gullible, like when the G5 came out and Steve sold it as the fastest computer on the market. That was a joke because it was only in very narrowly defined terms. In general the G5 was a dog and couldn't muster half the performance of Intel hardware at the time. As a saleman though Steve had to sell his product not somebody else's.
  • Reply 62 of 213
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. Just like the iPod Hi-Fi.

Yeah, an iPod speaker accessory that came out 7 years ago has fucking WHAT to do with a smaller iPad? Oh yes, absolutely nothing. You were just desperate enough to pick the only Apple product in the past decade that hasnt done well. Are you implying the iPad mini will do as well as that speaker system? That's the best you can do? How much of a troll can you be? Thats the very definition of a hit and run troll line. And you want people to take you seriously? I'm trying to wrap my head around how you became a mod. 

• Reply 63 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

But why? Such a device would be very useful!

No. -__-

imageimageimage

• Reply 64 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, an iPod speaker accessory that came out 7 years ago has fucking WHAT to do with a smaller iPad? Oh yes, absolutely nothing.

Okay, ignore the point I've made. I'll ignore the points you've made.

You were just desperate enough to pick the only Apple product in the past decade that hasnt done well.

17" MacBook Pro, G4 Cube, 3rd gen iPod shuffle, 3rd gen iPod nano, and Mighty Mouse. All fit the bill you set forth of either selling a lot, getting great reviews, and consumers buying a ton of them, and loving it… But minus ONE of those things for each. The thing being subtracted changes depending on the product, but the point stands. Apple discontinues bad ideas, despite some aspects thereof being positive. 

Are you implying the iPad mini will do as well as that speaker system?

Better, probably, through a subjective definition.

• Reply 65 of 213
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Your point being what?

My point is that you're an insufferable ass that spits on anyone and everyone who has a different opinion than you, until they inevitably turn out to be right and you turn out to be wrong, at which point you continue along like nothing happened, then switch to your next stubborn crusade, rinse and repeat. My point was obvious, and I was hoping for an explanation and rationalization from you about this perverse behavior. Instead, as expected, a sarcastic response that shows you just don't give a shit about the way you act. Definitely not the behavior of a normal, sane human being. 

• Reply 66 of 213

Quote:

*raises hand while looking around*

Agreed. When I use an iPad for typing, I always use ten finger typing. Picture below, I mean I did a terrible job on it but whatever. I'm thinking an iPad Mini would have the keyboard be the size of an iPhone keyboard (or a little bigger) so you thumb type.

• Reply 67 of 213
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My point is that you're an insufferable ass that spits on anyone and everyone who has a different opinion than you…

See, you do that, when people have an opinion that differs from Apple's (or the potential opinion thereof). Your problem is that your mindset is too all inclusive of every idea that comes our way. You assume that if Apple could possibly be doing something that it will inherently be a success, which doesn't allow for the culling of fringe ideas. 

My point was obvious, and I was hoping for an explanation and rationalization from you about this perverse behavior. Instead, as expected, a sarcastic response that shows you just don't give a shit about the way you act. Definitely not the behavior of a normal, sane human being. 

Neither's this. image If you thought that way about me, you'd just ignore it or bring it up through official channels. Feel free. You're just as vocal about your beliefs as I am and often more rude. The difference here is that I don't think all potential things that Apple could do would be the best things for them to do.

• Reply 68 of 213
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah, because you can put it in your pocket and take it anywhere. You'll need some other method for an iPad mini. 
    It depends upon your pocket, brief case, tool box or backpack and whatever else is in there. Beyond that open your mind a bit to people using all of those Kindles. The Kindles size is directly related to its success.
    I dismiss it because that's no reason to buy it. That's what makes no sense at all. "Buy it because it's smaller" doesn't seem like the way to go. 
    Size is a huge consideration. Think about Daytimers and other organizers from the past which this device and the Touch in many cases directly replace. Why do people carry around (or did) those small organizers over something in an 8x10 binder? You can size isn't important but their is every indication that size means a lot to people.
    Not in the slightest. They're different devices.
    Baloney! First off the iPad Mini would be a different device so your arguement goes out the window.
    *raises hand while looking around*
    I guess my hands are too big. I consider myself to be a fairly good touch typist on a reasonably full sized keyboard but resort to hunt and peck on the iPad 3. The keys are far to compressed for normal typing.
    Why should we have to adapt to the devices we use? It should be the other way around. Why should we have to change or conform to something that doesn't work as well as it could? Sounds like the opposite of what Apple's about.
    Come on, you adapt to any manual device the minute you pick it up. This isn't rocket science.

I do this all the time working on automation, you pick up one DVM to work on a machine and you simply reset your mind for that specific device. Pick up another DVM, from another manufacture and you reset your mind again and move forward. It is no different than picking up an iPod Nano to listen to music one day and using your iPhone the next day. You adapt and if you have any brain at all the adaptation is close to instant if you are familiar with both devices.
    Your point being what?

I don't know what his point is but I've yet to Figure out yours. Instead I just see baseless whining about size when that would be the whole point of the Mini, it is an iPad of a different size. I'd be the first to express interest in a larger iPad too, but this isn't what this discussion is about. You see the devices primary selling point as the reason it shouldn't exist, yet we have constant indications that this smaller device is what people want. Grasping your position is most difficult as it flies in the face of successes other businesses have enjoyed at this size.
  • Reply 69 of 213
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What people don't seem to grasp with respect to the things Steve has said is that the guy was a natural born salesman. A good salesman sells what you have available to sell and not what the guy next door has. You don't walk into a Ford dealer and expect the salesman to sell you a Chevy. It is sad that so many on these forums don't have a clue in this respect.

Exactly.  Apple settled on the larger size to be the first format to be released, and Jobs, knowing that the rest of the manufactures would be swarming to utilize a smaller form tablet as one thing to differentiate theirs from Apple's, says that (paraphrasing) "There's no point in a 7" tablet.  It's too small for the software.  We have discovered that it's impossible to get the proper user experience from anything smaller than what we are offering".  

And the possibility that Jobs at that time believed that, and even believed Apple would not release a 7" tablet in the foreseeable future, is zero.  He was selling a 9.7" tablet at the time he said it.  If he were around for the mini's announcement he might say "I changed my mind", but he'd be thinking "I was just kidding.  We just wanted to see if this would fly first.  I'll say anything".

• Reply 70 of 213
    Too large to type on with two thumbs, too small to type on with two hands. Sounds like something of a problem to me.
    Sorry but i have to call BS on this. Wouldn't typing on a 7.85 screen be similar to typing with the smaller split keyboard on an iPad. That seems to be designed for typing with two thumbs on an obvious level, and I haven't read any complaints about the split keyboard.

Some people may not know about the iPad split keyboard, in landscape orientation put two thumbs on the keyboard and drag your thumbs apart. The keyboard splits and shrinks a little as the two halves recede into the bottom corners. This makes the keyboard easier to use with two thumbs in landscape mode - no stretching to reach the center of the screen.
    Thumbs down and drag together to rejoin the keyboard.
  • Reply 71 of 213

You know that hassle they went through with the iPad3. "Nieu iPad." The smart thing would be to re-brand the iPhone 5 as the iPad Nano.

• Reply 72 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This thing with significant digits I've never bought into. It simply doesn't jive with the physical world. Say you have 9 apples and divide them in half, you end up with 4.5 apples not 4. The precision is in the context and I would suggest that those pixels are being controlled to pretty tight tolerances on that LCD screen.
    This is even more apparent with repeating decimals. Say you divide 5 by 3, which leads to 1.666666~, it makes no sense to say that 1.7 is the correct answer here as it leads to horrible real world problems. A real world example being drilling an array of holes spaced 1.6666 inches apart, make the space between each whole 0.05 inches short each time and you end up way off ten or twenty inches away from your starting point.
    In any event I'm willing to state that maintaining significant digits by dropping precision is seldom a good thing in math. This especially the case if a value will be used forward in a computation. In the physical world context is everything.

Take a math course. You can't simply refuse to 'buy into' significant figures. They're very, very real.

Integers can be a bit different as you've pointed out. But we're not talking about integers. We're talking about a device that's reported to be 7.85" diagonal. That means that the last digit is the least significant figure, so there are only 3 significant figures.
    Too large to type on with two thumbs, too small to type on with two hands. Sounds like something of a problem to me.

IN YOUR OPINION. Not everyone shares it. What part of that don't you understand?
    I just do not see how, is all. I've seen that form factor. I don't care about "you haven't seen it done right; Apple will do it right", the size is trying to be too much of too little and too little of too much. It's awkward. A larger iPad would be very useful; with that I can agree.

IN YOUR OPINION. Not everyone shares it. What part of that don't you understand?

Yeah, because you can put it in your pocket and take it anywhere. You'll need some other method for an iPad mini. 

I dismiss it because that's no reason to buy it. That's what makes no sense at all. "Buy it because it's smaller" doesn't seem like the way to go. 

Agreed. When I use an iPad for typing, I always use ten finger typing. Picture below, I mean I did a terrible job on it but whatever. I'm thinking an iPad Mini would have the keyboard be the size of an iPhone keyboard (or a little bigger) so you thumb type.LL

That's ridiculous. There's no reason the keypad wouldn't take up the entire width of the screen.

Bottom line is that plenty of people type just fine on a 3.5" iPhone. Why not a 7.85" iPad?
  • Reply 73 of 213
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

If you don't like the size of the iPad Mini simply don't buy one. That's easy. 

• Reply 74 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Agreed. When I use an iPad for typing, I always use ten finger typing. Picture below, I mean I did a terrible job on it but whatever. I'm thinking an iPad Mini would have the keyboard be the size of an iPhone keyboard (or a little bigger) so you thumb type.

Hey - That looks great !

Is that real ? What a scoop !

WAIT A MINUTE . . . that's just photoshop wizardary isn't it.

That new iPad baby is just going to disappoint now !

• Reply 75 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Hey - That looks great !

Is that real ? What a scoop !

WAIT A MINUTE . . . that's just photoshop wizardary isn't it.

That new iPad baby is just going to disappoint now !

Dude, it was a fucking 5 minute photoshop job.image

• Reply 76 of 213
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcartesius View Post

I got an iPad for my daughter. Personally, I lug a 7" Samsung Tab around in a special "gun belt" or just a bigger pocket. It works as a phone, too, and is just perfect for me and my local but often remote activity.

For all I care, the iPad mini could cost up to $1000 with a Retina display and phone capabilities.

WOW. LOL thanks for that, we're all delighted to hear your story, but $1000 is laughable number. Try more like $349.

• Reply 77 of 213

Quote:

Haven't been reading the thread, eh? And what idiot would actually commit suicide?

Well, 1,180,000 in 2008. If my numbers are right. 11.8 per 100,000 people per year.

• Reply 78 of 213
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

You're conveniently leaving out typing the same way everybody has already been doing on 7"ers for quite a while, however their choice has been.  Personally I do it one fingered, no thumbs.  If it's a mini friggin' keyboard it's a mini friggin' keyboard.  The keyboard on the current iPad isn't exactly, um, shall we say, without any downside?

That's like complaining about the iPad3 because you can't watch movies on it from across the room, so it's a stupid device. 

• Reply 79 of 213

Quote:

You're holding it wrong.

• Reply 80 of 213
    People will buy iPad Mini simply because of it's size.

So, who will buy an iPad Mini because of it's size?

Raises hand while looking around.*

*Based on the assumption that it is otherwise the same as an iPad 3 or 4.