Amazon announces $499 Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE with $50/year data plan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why is that people only complain about the bezel when it comes to Apple products. That bezel looks excessive for the display size and not a single post about it and yet people will complain about the iPhone forehead and chin existing even thought they contain components needed for basic operation.

I think your image in that quote might be life-size on my display. And man, that thing has a stupid size. Not to mention the bezel, yeah. 

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Another failed "iPad-KIller" trying to compete on price and perks (related to price.) Usually a losing proposition against Apple in this particular market (big time.)

What the competition is utterly terrified to tell you is that Apple could kill every single one of them right now by dropping the iPad 2 to $299, since it still seems to out power and outperform everything they're releasing. Not to mention it's a usable size.

• Reply 62 of 124
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolie View Post

Agree...  Apple has been coasting the last couple of years, racking up billions in cash and only providing incremental updates...  Still have my original iPad...  No reason to update...  Still have my 2010 Mac Air...  Still no reason to update...   Still have my 2010 i Mac...   Still no reason to update...  Still have my 2009 iPod...   Still no reason to update...   Did update my iPhone 4 to 4S, what a joke...   I am not a Kindle fan, but I hope someone wakes up Apple for us...   iPad mini rumored to use iPhone 3g parts, how lame is that...

not everyone has the original ipad. not everyone has an 2010 Air/iMac. Why don't you say this about other equipment? Still have my 2011 Camry, no reason to update to 2012/2013. Still have my 2010 refrigerator, no reason to update to the newest model. If YOU have no reason to update, it doesn't mean that no one else does either. They aren't selling to you. If you need to upgrade your PC in two years, then you must have a Windoze issue.

I didn't have an iPhone 4 so I gladly ditched my android for the 4S.

• Reply 63 of 124
    Wait… high-speed LTE, capped at only 250MB a month? That's 30Mb a day… I can burn through that much with some light news browsing...

And 20Gb of Cloud Storage? That doesn't add up…

You only get 3GB PER YEAR of data transfer @ 250MB a month… how can you make full use of a 20GB cloud drive?

Wifi. You're assuming that people only use the tablet when there is no wifi available. Using it at home, most hotels, work or while at a friends house would generally not be consuming data from the 250MB allotment.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The Fire didn't really sell up until now. So what's changed that is actually *significant*?  Not much. 

Another failed "iPad-KIller" trying to compete on price and perks (related to price.) Usually a losing proposition against Apple in this particular market (big time.)

Why does anything have to kill a iDevice to sell well? These are very decent alternatives to the iPad and a big improvement over the Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    How fast can 4G LTE chew through 250MB?

Ten minutes, an hour?

What do you do for the rest of the month?

It's like a V8 car with a one gallon gas tank.

A waste of time.

How much data do you get for the extra "$400 a year" the article mentions?

Here in Australia $30 a month can get you 8GB.

How fast can a 36Mb/s connection (what I just tested on my iPad) eat through 10GB of data? That's 4.5MB/s which is under 38 minutes. Does that mean that 10GB of data per month isn't enough for the average person because there is more than 38 minutes in a month? Does that mean that we shouldn't have 4G speeds on our devices?

And what's with this one gallon gas tank analogy? Wouldn't it make more sense to say you only use 1 gallon of fuel in a time frame and wonder how far that can take you? If you only work a mile from your home and live in a city where you don't drive too much doesn't that make it a more apropos comparison?

I can't believe all these cynical comments about the Kindle Fire. If they didn't offer cellular connectivity you'd all be complaining about that, but they did... and with 4G LTE.. and with a great data plan option for the average user. There is absolutely nothing to hate on this about. It might not be right for you (I certainly have no plans to buy one) but that doesn't means it's not an attractive and aggressive prices.

These negative comments from the Apple camp are exactly the same tone as those anti-Apple posters who come here to pooh-pooh any new Apple product.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

This doesn't make sense. Amazon Prime will still be supported, so will Kindle books and I am assuming the internet will still be there, so how is one generation 'incompatible' with another?

It makes perfect sense.

The Internet with all its flaws and newly found security exploits will be there, but no fixes from Amazon. App developers will have a fun time supporting multiple generations of HW and OS, with no hope of deficiencies and bugs ever being fixed.

New features available on new HW won't be available on old HW even if the old HW would otherwise be capable of supporting the new features.

Amazon does treat Kindles like the razor vs. razorblades model, except the razors are also disposable.

• Reply 67 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

the company decided 4G LTE connectivity is the "ultimate tablet feature." The company developed its own cellular modem that's smaller and supports all 10 wireless bands.

Get ready for the lawsuits!

• Reply 68 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Apple sells lots of Wi-Fi only iPads that do not have GPS, so it's probably not a factor for a lot of people.

Not a factor for a lot of people because those desiring GPS haven't looked to the Kindle yet.

What would it cost to add a-GPS when Amazon is already charging an arm and a leg just for an extra 16 GB and LTE? The high end model is hardly a bargain. Oh, you might think it's cheap because you're comparing it to older hardware, but realistically (and historically) the price is expected to drop 50% per year for the same features.

• Reply 69 of 124

That works out to being able to stream 1 song a day without breaking your cap -  a real 'bargain' along with the adverts on the lock screen.

• Reply 70 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I never understand people that say LTE will make them use more data, like the device has a gun to their head. A episode of The Walking Dead or Mad Men takes the same amount of time to watch whether it's on 3G or LTE, a ebook might download a few seconds faster but you're not going to read it any faster.

Vastly increased data usage occurs before the user knows it, especially when migrating up from a 3G platform. On LTE, the pregnant pauses to buffer a newly requested video are much reduced and, before you've gotten very far into the video, the entire file has been downloaded--even if you have no intention of watching more than a few seconds. Result: completely wasted bandwidth and $$

• Reply 71 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

What a complete and utter ripoff.  That works out to about $3.90 a month for 20 MB per month or - about 3-5 songs a month downloaded and you've blown your cap. With that "bargain", you get dunned with ads on the lock screen.  

Uh, that's $50 for a year of service and 250 MB data usage per month every month of the year.

• Reply 72 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Uh, that's $50 for a year of service and 250 MB data usage per month every month of the year.

Thanks for the correction - at least you can stream 1 song a day and not go over the cap. 

• Reply 73 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nasserae wrote: »
    the company decided 4G LTE connectivity is the "ultimate tablet feature." The company developed its own cellular modem that's smaller and supports all 10 wireless bands.
    Get ready for the lawsuits!

It'll be interesting to see if they paid for all the licenses. I do agree that it's highly likely they will be sued for it.

It's also interesting that it supports 10 wireless bands. Does that mean 10 LTE operating bands? If so, that gives me hope that the next iPhone will have a Qualcomm chip that supports something similar.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And what's with this one gallon gas tank analogy? Wouldn't it make more sense to say you only use 1 gallon of fuel in a time frame and wonder how far that can take you? If you only work a mile from your home and live in a city where you don't drive too much doesn't that make it a more apropos comparison?

A one gallon gas tank would make sense on a 50cc moped but not in a 5 litre V8 car.

250MB a month makes sense on 2G not on 4G.

Amazon has baited the trap, prepare for people running up large bills, no wonder AT&T went for this deal.

• Reply 75 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

A lot of people have service on their iPad all year round. Many users are still using the grandfathered AT&T $30 per month unlimited plan since 2010, which means they've been paying each month without interruption. When you consider that $50 per year is almost the same cost as 3 months on AT&T's cheapest plan ($45 vs $50), that means you'll be saving quite a lot of money each year, around $130, if you use less than 250 megabytes per month and want the convenience of having 4G at all times.

How do people get their unlimited $30 per month data plan grandfathered to cover an iPad?   The AT&T uniimited plans were only available on iPhones.  You can grandfather it over to a new iPhone, but how do you add an iPad to that same unlimited plan?    I thought you got a new plan when you get a iPad with cellular.

• Reply 76 of 124
    hill60 wrote: »
    morgajx wrote: »
    Well I think this September is going to be a real wakeup call. Its been coming for a while. You get the superb but expensive and non-upgradeable and ultimately disposable MBP Retina, no new Mac Pro for years, no Imac for over a year then the new iphone ( if the leaks are accurate ) looks like its a dog.  The ipad mini probably will be under-speced.

Instead of doing minor incremental updates and overpricing their products ( I can never believe when some forum members cheer about profit margins being 40% or over are they not consumers ?) maybe they will get their finger out and start delivering again.

The executive team seem too busy awarding themselves $50 million + in shares to notice that all their products are being equalled and surpassed.

Five years of iPhones, five years of comments like this.

Is there anything new?

It's deja vu.

Or, déjà vu do-do...
  • Reply 77 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

How do people get their unlimited $30 per month data plan grandfathered to cover an iPad?   The AT&T uniimited plans were only available on iPhones.  You can grandfather it over to a new iPhone, but how do you add an iPad to that same unlimited plan?    I thought you got a new plan when you get a iPad with cellular.

For the first month of the iPad I think they still only offered the unlimited plan $30/month plan.

• Reply 78 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Not a factor for a lot of people because those desiring GPS haven't looked to the Kindle yet.

What would it cost to add a-GPS when Amazon is already charging an arm and a leg just for an extra 16 GB and LTE? The high end model is hardly a bargain. Oh, you might think it's cheap because you're comparing it to older hardware, but realistically (and historically) the price is expected to drop 50% per year for the same features.

Arm and a leg? Let's compare - Wi-Fi based Kindle Fire HD 8.9 16gb vs iPad 3rd generation 16gb (no GPS), $299 vs $499, a $200 difference - 4G enabled Kindle Fire HD 32gb vs iPad 3rd generation 32gb (with GPS), $499 vs $729, a $230 difference.

Could add a GPS in the Kindle for $30? I have no idea, but it's obvious that's not what the Kindle is designed to do. It isn't meant to be everything - it's meant to be a Kindle, just as the iPad is meant only to be an iPad. If GPS is important to you, the Kindle Fire HD is not going to work for you. I'm willing to bet most people don't know about GPS in the iPad nor care about it. It's a niche add-on.

Also, what are you talking about when you mean "comparing it to older hardware?" Amazon has *never* released a Kindle Fire tablet with cellular before, and the prices for it undercut Apple's tablet by at least $200. If you factor the same 250 megabyte plan for each device, the Kindle comes in at $49.99 a year, while the iPad comes in at $179.88 per year for the cheapest plan in the US. As Amazon pointed out, the difference in ownership of the first year is nearly $350 for the basic plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

You've pretty much made my point. Integrating LTE on the device makes no sense with that kind of data plan because 1) you won't be getting very much data over cellular and 2) the LTE capable radio does use more battery than a non LTE one.

I'm not arguing against LTE. It's great. I have it on my iPad and soon on my iPhone. My point is that the matching data plan, while a perfectly fine deal for the quota you get, doesn't match up with the need to have a high bandwidth capable technology like LTE. There's a mismatch. It's the equivalent of having FiOS with a quota based on a 56k modem utilization. I'm just saying Amazon is wasting money on its BOM because they're putting hardware in the device that people won't be able to leverage.

I'm still not understanding your point, actually. You're somehow suggesting that a slower, less efficient, and *more expensive* cellular technology makes more sense to use than a modern, more efficient and faster network. I'm willing to bet that LTE will be the *only* option on this device, and 3G won't be enabled at all. Why? Again, expense. You'd need to add more components to support 3G, which ads to the cost of manufacturing the device, and has only a marginal benefit of coverage that will no longer be a problem in a few years when LTE coverage is everywhere.

I'm betting that battery life on 3G+LTE-enabled devices is worse than 3G by itself because it has to support two completely different antenna types, networks, and data handling. By eliminating 3G, you probably eliminate a lot of the battery drain as well. So again, LTE benefits users and carriers, which results in faster networks at lower prices. That's *exactly* what we want.

• Reply 79 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

When the iPad was originally announced, it had the option of an unlimited data plan for $29.99. A few weeks after the 3G version was released, AT&T changed the data plans to a 2gb maximum for $30. Those who had activated the unlimited plan before the cut-off date were allowed to keep those plans and carry them over to future iPads.

You can find videos on YouTube with Steve Jobs talking about this "breakthrough" deal with AT&T at the original launch event.

• Reply 80 of 124

Well it makes more sense to buy this than an iPad. The 32 gb model of the iPad shouldn't cost 200 more than the 16 gb version... and the data fees are crazy. I'd say Apple has to lower the price of the 32 gb and 64 gb by atleast 100 dollars per upgrade to maintain market dominance and add an option to have unlimited shared data with carriers for the iPad.