Amazon announces $499 Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE with $50/year data plan

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

Well it makes more sense to buy this than an iPad. The 32 gb model of the iPad shouldn't cost 200 more than the 16 gb version... and the data fees are crazy. I'd say Apple has to lower the price of the 32 gb and 64 gb by atleast 100 dollars per upgrade to maintain market dominance and add an option to have unlimited shared data with carriers for the iPad.

Except this is a terrible piece of hardware that runs terrible software.

And, well, Amazon's version of Android sucks more than stock Android, I mean, it's just terrible.

• Reply 82 of 124
    solipsismx wrote: »
    hill60 wrote: »
    How fast can 4G LTE chew through 250MB?

Ten minutes, an hour?

What do you do for the rest of the month?

It's like a V8 car with a one gallon gas tank.

A waste of time.

How much data do you get for the extra "$400 a year" the article mentions?

Here in Australia $30 a month can get you 8GB.

How fast can a 36Mb/s connection (what I just tested on my iPad) eat through 10GB of data? That's 4.5MB/s which is under 38 minutes. Does that mean that 10GB of data per month isn't enough for the average person because there is more than 38 minutes in a month? Does that mean that we shouldn't have 4G speeds on our devices?

And what's with this one gallon gas tank analogy? Wouldn't it make more sense to say you only use 1 gallon of fuel in a time frame and wonder how far that can take you? If you only work a mile from your home and live in a city where you don't drive too much doesn't that make it a more apropos comparison?

I can't believe all these cynical comments about the Kindle Fire. If they didn't offer cellular connectivity you'd all be complaining about that, but they did... and with 4G LTE.. and with a great data plan option for the average user. There is absolutely nothing to hate on this about. It might not be right for you (I certainly have no plans to buy one) but that doesn't means it's not an attractive and aggressive prices.

These negative comments from the Apple camp are exactly the same tone as those anti-Apple posters who come here to pooh-pooh any new Apple product.

Well said!

I posted in the other thread that Bezos' describing their offerings as more of a "service" (a portal to content) than a device -- could be a brilliant marketing strategy.

I totally missed that the $10 store credit was a $10 credit each month.

The $49 per year caught my eye... This is attractive!

What Amazon/Bezos are doing is classic marketing and selling...

You determine what people want and provide it as best you can... And take away buyer objections (reasons for saying no).

The device may turn out to be average, or even sub-par... But the package is attractive, and should sell well against current competive offerings.

The biggest downside is that it is US only, and they, likely, cannot remedy that before the competitors step in with their next offerings.

Kinda' makes recent Sammy, MS, Google offerings look like yesterday's news.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Vastly increased data usage occurs before the user knows it, especially when migrating up from a 3G platform. On LTE, the pregnant pauses to buffer a newly requested video are much reduced and, before you've gotten very far into the video, the entire file has been downloaded--even if you have no intention of watching more than a few seconds. Result: completely wasted bandwidth and $$

How often does that happen? There are also video player apps on Android that let one limit the buffer size to prevent the entire video from behind downloaded.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    I think your image in that quote might be life-size on my display. And man, that thing has a stupid size. Not to mention the bezel, yeah. 

What the competition is utterly terrified to tell you is that Apple could kill every single one of them right now by dropping the iPad 2 to $299, since it still seems to out power and outperform everything they're releasing. Not to mention it's a usable size.

Question is would you like living in a world in which Apple killed its competitors?
  • Reply 85 of 124
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,205member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How often does that happen? There are also video player apps on Android that let one limit the buffer size to prevent the entire video from behind downloaded.

It happens lots. Surprised? Get yourself an LTE tablet and see first hand. Or tether your laptop to an LTE device.

Intelligent buffering, eh? I guess others see it as a problem, too. It would truly be helpful to have intelligent buffering be standard/ubiquitous, not something one has to worry about installing and using.

• Reply 86 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    A one gallon gas tank would make sense on a 50cc moped but not in a 5 litre V8 car.

250MB a month makes sense on 2G not on 4G.

Amazon has baited the trap, prepare for people running up large bills, no wonder AT&T went for this deal.

I have an iPad (3) + Cellular. I never turn cellular off. I never turn 4G LTE off. I live in a LTE covered area. I have yet to use close to 250MB in a month. So why don't you think my purchase which I find very useful not to make sense?
  • Reply 87 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

Well it makes more sense to buy this than an iPad. The 32 gb model of the iPad shouldn't cost 200 more than the 16 gb version... and the data fees are crazy. I'd say Apple has to lower the price of the 32 gb and 64 gb by atleast 100 dollars per upgrade to maintain market dominance and add an option to have unlimited shared data with carriers for the iPad.

Prices will naturally come down, but remember HD != retina.

Get a refurb. iPad 3 right now from Apple for $150 more.

• Reply 88 of 124

Anybody know if the Fire HD is LTE only (i.e., no 3G or EDGE)?

• Reply 89 of 124
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I have an iPad (3) + Cellular. I never turn cellular off. I never turn 4G LTE off. I live in a LTE covered area. I have yet to use close to 250MB in a month. So why don't you think my purchase which I find very useful not to make sense?

I find it hard to believe that you Mr I use 100 GB a month uses less than 250MB a month on your iPad.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What blows my mind is that these will be out end of November. Why is Apple the only company that can announce a major product, and have it available on shelves within a week or 2?

• Reply 91 of 124

Question is would you like living in a world in which Apple killed its competitors?

I'd want to live in a world where all competitors cannot be killed simply by one company lowering the price of their YEAR AND A HALF OLD PRODUCT, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What blows my mind is that these will be out end of November. Why is Apple the only company that can announce a major product, and have it available on shelves within a week or 2?

Two words: Tim Cook. Thank the greatest operations man of the modern age.

• Reply 92 of 124

Quote:

Why does anything have to kill a iDevice to sell well? These are very decent alternatives to the iPad and a big improvement over the Kindle Fire.

Because if your device doesn't turn the tablet market completely on its head, it'll get lost in the iPad's very, very, very long shadow. 

These market dynamics are volatile. 

• Reply 93 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Or, déjà vu do-do...

• Reply 94 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How much time are you away from WiFi?

Do you have iTunes Match turned on?

Do you listen to streaming music or watch YouTube, movies or TV shows?

Do you sync exchange accounts?

Do you use Dropbox, Skydrive, iCloud or other cloud services.

On my iPhone 4 I do all these things and use around 1.5 GB a month, before iTunes Match it was around 1 GB a month.

I have these things, I like using them, I don't want to feel restricted by not having enough data for my needs, it is something I don't mind paying for.

All I can say on this 250MB allowance, is that Amazon or AT&T, whoever will handle customer complaints, had better be prepared for customers with bill shock.

You get what you pay for and $50 a year might sound like a bargain but if you want to use the full potential of something like this, it isn't really.

• Reply 95 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How much time are you away from WiFi?

Do you have iTunes Match turned on?

Do you listen to streaming music or watch YouTube, movies or TV shows?

Do you sync exchange accounts?

Do you use Dropbox, Skydrive, iCloud or other cloud services.

On my iPhone 4 I do all these things and use around 1.5 GB a month, before iTunes Match it was around 1 GB a month.

I have these things, I like using them, I don't want to feel restricted by not having enough data for my needs, it is something I don't mind paying for.

All I can say on this 250MB allowance, is that Amazon or AT&T, whoever will handle customer complaints, had better be prepared for customers with bill shock.

You get what you pay for and $50 a year might sound like a bargain but if you want to use the full potential of something like this, it isn't really.

1) Often, but I tend to use a tablet in areas with WiFi. Do you think the average tablet user is not going to have access to WiFi?

2) I don't have iTunes Match. If I did, I wouldn't stream music to my iPad because I don't listen to music on my iPad. I have my iPhone for that.

3) Nope. No exchange accounts. Why is this an issue for a Kindle Fire customer?

4) I do. I have apps installed. Never been a problem.

5) No one has denied that it's possible to use more than 250MB a month. No one has stated you don't use more than 250MB a month. I've been as high as 100GB in a month, albeit with a jailbroken iPhone with unlimited/unlimited data tethering to a Mac that was running a torrent app. You still haven't shown that 250MB is so egregiously low that the average user would find it impossible to go about his daily tasks without reaching that cap in omeone claimed 4 minutes or something equally ridiculous earlier in the thread).

6) Do you get bill shock with the iPad or iPhone? I never have because I know they will let me know when I near my quotas. I think there are 2 or 3 warnings. I think with the iPad it'll stop allowing you to use more data before paying the $10 for an additional 1GB so I can't imagine how there would be bill shock.
  • Reply 96 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple operates that way in order to maintain sales, just as any manufacturer would want to do. Amazon was compelled to announce long in advance of availability in order to stave off purchases of Apple products. Prices for a given level of technology tend to drop exponentially over time, too, so the low price makes a much bigger impression right now. Come November 20th, the Amazon prices won't seem so cheap. If mid-November had been the announcement date, the pricing wouldn't garner the same headlines.

• Reply 97 of 124
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Because if your device doesn't turn the tablet market completely on its head, it'll get lost in the iPad's very, very, very long shadow. 

These market dynamics are volatile. 

I don't buy that. I think these devices can sell well. Apple may lose some market share but only because the market got bigger, they'll still sell a record number of iPads and way more than the competition.
  • Reply 98 of 124
    slurpy wrote: »

I really think it has to do getting their devices talked about before Apple makes their rumored iPad announcement.
  • Reply 99 of 124
    I'd want to live in a world where all competitors cannot be killed simply by one company lowering the price of their YEAR AND A HALF OLD PRODUCT, that's for sure.

Two words: Tim Cook. Thank the greatest operations man of the modern age.

Because it's not a year and half old product they're buying into but the ecosystem they're already heavily invested in. The most marvelous tablet in the world couldn't compete with that.
  • Reply 100 of 124

Because it's not a year and half old product they're buying into but the ecosystem they're already heavily invested in.

I somehow doubt that.