Amazon announces $499 Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE with $50/year data plan

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124

How does it work with 10 different carriers yet AT&T is the one providing the service?

• Reply 102 of 124

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

How does it work with 10 different carriers yet AT&T is the one providing the service?

Same way Straight Talk works without building any towers of their own.

• Reply 103 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I somehow doubt that.

Then what would you believe the reason to be? There are plenty of people that would like a second or third iPad but won't spend the money or someone with an iPhone that wants a iPad but can't see themselves spending that much money.
  • Reply 104 of 124

Funny how everyone focus on price, hardware and features...I don't see how this can come close to being "ipad killer"... Apple isn't interested in selling you cheap low-end tech unless they can walk away with 40-50% profit per item. I would be amaze if Amazon isn't losing money or coming out even on these new Fire HDs. If the mini-ipad is coming, I would be surprise to see it price below $300... Until I see a side-by-side test/comparison, I'm not convinced 7" Fire HD is better than Google's Nexus 7 either. It's always fun to read about the initial reactions after a product launch. Seems everyone forgot about Amazon's weak app store, it's crappy "Silk" browser and over-simplified Android OS...the custom crappy OS part alone still irks me...

There are plenty of tablet choices right now, if anything, Amazon's goal is't trying to compete again tech companies, they want to secure their existing customer base and enhance their digital experience. If I'm B&N, I would really worry right now...they haven't refresh their NOOK line in a while.

• Reply 105 of 124

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There are plenty of people that would like a second or third iPad…

I can see just as many people buying an Apple product for the first time as doing that. iPad 2 is the most affordable iPad right now, and it offers far more at its price point than many of its competitors and against many devices that pretend not to compete with it. 

Someone burned by the $79 Android tablet at Big Lots isn't going to be buying el cheapo stuff again.

• Reply 106 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Funny how everyone focus on price, hardware and features...I don't see how this can come close to being "ipad killer"... Apple isn't interested in selling you cheap low-end tech unless they can walk away with 40-50% profit per item. I would be amaze if Amazon isn't losing money or coming out even on these new Fire HDs. If the mini-ipad is coming, I would be surprise to see it price below $300... Until I see a side-by-side test/comparison, I'm not convinced 7" Fire HD is better than Google's Nexus 7 either. It's always fun to read about the initial reactions after a product launch. Seems everyone forgot about Amazon's weak app store, it's crappy "Silk" browser and over-simplified Android OS...the custom crappy OS part alone still irks me...

There are plenty of tablet choices right now, if anything, Amazon's goal is't trying to compete again tech companies, they want to secure their existing customer base and enhance their digital experience. If I'm B&N, I would really worry right now...they haven't refresh their NOOK line in a while.

Whatever gives you that idea?

• Reply 107 of 124
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Just seen an article on Electronista which states that all Kindle Fires will include lockscreens with ads showing 'special offers and sponsored lock screens'. The ads will also appear on the lower left hand corner of the home screen at all times:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/09/06/amazon.opts.for.ad.supported.model.for.new.kindle.fire.range/

I don't like the sound of that!

• Reply 108 of 124

Ad-support tablet...great idea except now you have to wonder if your tablet usage is being monitor? Failed on arrival for me!

• Reply 109 of 124

Power users will never want to be tie down to a close ecosystem. You should wait and see how fast people would wants to hack this thing so they can get ride of this custom android weaksauce os. Amazon has to to go after customers willing to spend on content after getting the "cheaper" tablets. Their entire ecosystem has to link  up or it's a fail attempt. I do see them with great success with existing customers, especially those Prime members. I'm not convince they can pull Apple or other Android users from the current market. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Whatever gives you that idea?

• Reply 110 of 124
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't understand why Apple needs to get sucked into a race to the bottom. Their business model is different than Amazon's. If Apple sets an artificially low price on a smaller iPad that will basically devalue their brand. Is there any hard data that shows Amazon selling cheap hardware is profitable for them? This past quarter they barely eaked out a profit and said the following quarter they might incur a loss. Wall Street is eating it up right now but how long can that be sustained? Amazon's P/E is 306. That's just crazy.
  • Reply 111 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company developed its own cellular modem that's smaller and supports all 10 wireless bands.

Does that mean it is world mode. Could Amazon sell this tablet to (almost) any country and it would work with their LTE implementation?

If so, could it be an indication for the new iPhone?

• Reply 112 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that you Mr I use 100 GB a month uses less than 250MB a month on your iPad.

I"m 17 days through my iPad cycle and have used 49MB.

I'm not sure what you saying about 100GB. I did that only a couple of times with Unlimited/Unlimited data with tethering to my Mac and running torrents. I recall grabbing 30 years of NOVA episodes.
  • Reply 113 of 124
    copeland wrote: »
    Does that mean it is world mode. Could Amazon sell this tablet to (almost) any country and it would work with their LTE implementation?
    If so, could it be an indication for the new iPhone?

It might. It depends if they are talking about 10 operating bands for LTE or not. 10 would be a hit number of countries. I hope Apple and Qualcomm have something like this or we could see the first iPhone that is built with different HW for different countries to support various LTE operating bands.
  • Reply 114 of 124

I'm confused as to how Amazon can offer LTE access for $50 per year. Is some carrier taking a huge pay cut? Why would any carrier allow Amazon to do this, when they are getting way more money with Apple?

Unless once again, Amazon is selling things at a loss...

• Reply 115 of 124
    enjourni wrote: »
    I'm confused as to how Amazon can offer LTE access for $50 per year. Is some carrier taking a huge pay cut? Why would any carrier allow Amazon to do this, when they are getting way more money with Apple?

Unless once again, Amazon is selling things at a loss...

Depends on how you look for it. AT&T charges $15(?) for 250MB a month on the iPad but higher tiers cost significantly less. I think it starts to average out to $10 per GB. This is basically a pre-paid for a year plan that is only 3GB in total but costs $50, which is over $16 per GB. It seems like a very clever set up to me.
  • Reply 116 of 124

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that you Mr I use 100 GB a month uses less than 250MB a month on your iPad.

The vast majority would be at home, on his WiFi network or at a hotspot.

• Reply 117 of 124

You gotta laugh at how hard Besos tries to pull of the Steve  Jobs Keynote presentation experience.

• Reply 118 of 124

Quote:

I really think it has to do getting their devices talked about before Apple makes their rumored iPad announcement.

Actually, it has to do with what made Tim Cook so respected--getting all supplies and assembly structures in place and hitting on target outputs upfront with a continuous turnover adjusted on a daily basis. Apple spends billions getting the backend working first and then when they come out and present it's ready to roll off the assembly line in large quantities.

• Reply 119 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I"m 17 days through my iPad cycle and have used 49MB.
    I'm not sure what you saying about 100GB. I did that only a couple of times with Unlimited/Unlimited data with tethering to my Mac and running torrents. I recall grabbing 30 years of NOVA episodes.

Where did you find 30 yrs worth of Nova episodes and better yet where did you store them? oh and thats exactly when i remember you saying you used 100GB
  • Reply 120 of 124
    Posted in error