Amazon announces $499 Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE with $50/year data plan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Next up will be the "Fire Phone"....

• Reply 42 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Wild -- I wonder what carrier is being used, and if Amazon is somehow subsidizing the LTE coverage. If not, then Apple should go kick AT&T and VZ in the nuts and demand a better deal for iPad users. 

ATT, and they can't pull the old switcheroo for a year than a few months like they did with the iPad.
  • Reply 43 of 124

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon

Ah, Gill Sans. That's what Apple used on their presentation slides before Myriad. Brings back memories. Such as memories of the 2nd-gen Kindle, which gave you as much free data as you needed to download the books you wanted. Granted, it was only for books, but it was free.

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

If not, then Apple should go kick AT&T and VZ in the nuts and demand a better deal for iPad users. 

Apple should be doing this regardless of what their competitors do. image

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

My only question is how are they getting the LTE? What service is it through....

AT&T, from the logo on the slide.

• Reply 44 of 124
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Perhaps I'm missing something but, what version of Android is this running? It seems like the only thing we've heard is the screen size, storage, wireless information and price. If this is running anything other than Jellybean, it's a huge show stopper for me as a developer.

• Reply 45 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

Well I think this September is going to be a real wakeup call. Its been coming for a while. You get the superb but expensive and non-upgradeable and ultimately disposable MBP Retina, no new Mac Pro for years, no Imac for over a year then the new iphone ( if the leaks are accurate ) looks like its a dog.  The ipad mini probably will be under-speced.

Instead of doing minor incremental updates and overpricing their products ( I can never believe when some forum members cheer about profit margins being 40% or over are they not consumers ?) maybe they will get their finger out and start delivering again.

The executive team seem too busy awarding themselves $50 million + in shares to notice that all their products are being equalled and surpassed.

Five years of iPhones, five years of comments like this.

Is there anything new?

It's deja vu.

• Reply 46 of 124
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I guess they could include only 4G LTE with no support for any 3G or 2G* cellular technology but I've never seen such a device. Still, even if they do I don't see how 3GB for $50 is a bad deal over a year. As I stated earlier I pay $20 a month and never come close to 250MB on my iPad.
    LTE doesn't use more data, it just loads faster so you can potentially get more completed faster. Sure, it gives the option of getting higher quality content in the same time frame than with a slower connection but if that is something to complain about then why aren't we up in arms about 3G, modern web pages, or data on phones in any regard. An email is an email. Regardless if it's dial-up or 4G LTE the file sent is the same size.
    * 2G would only be relevant to GSM-based networks since CDMA is used for voice, not data.

I never understand people that say LTE will make them use more data, like the device has a gun to their head. A episode of The Walking Dead or Mad Men takes the same amount of time to watch whether it's on 3G or LTE, a ebook might download a few seconds faster but you're not going to read it any faster.
  • Reply 47 of 124

Agree...  Apple has been coasting the last couple of years, racking up billions in cash and only providing incremental updates...  Still have my original iPad...  No reason to update...  Still have my 2010 Mac Air...  Still no reason to update...   Still have my 2010 i Mac...   Still no reason to update...  Still have my 2009 iPod...   Still no reason to update...   Did update my iPhone 4 to 4S, what a joke...   I am not a Kindle fan, but I hope someone wakes up Apple for us...   iPad mini rumored to use iPhone 3g parts, how lame is that...

• Reply 48 of 124
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I think the point is that many if not most people who buy the Kindle, or any tablet for that matter, don't scrutinize the specs and make very intelligent calculations. There are too many numbers involved. What they see is Tablet, 32gb, LTE (which apparently is wicked fast), 50 per month, oh and $499.-. They also see Amazon = books, music games... I am sure it will sell well. 

But how much does Amazon make on this hw? And how much do they make on content? Doesn't Apple make at least as much on the content? 

• Reply 49 of 124
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Why is that people only complain about the bezel when it comes to Apple products. That bezel looks excessive for the display size and not a single post about it and yet people will complain about the iPhone forehead and chin existing even thought they contain components needed for basic operation.
  • Reply 50 of 124

Comment Deleted

Someone else beat me to my comment. Guess that's what I get for not reading all the comments before I post.

• Reply 51 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Ok so a one year cost of $50.00.  If you go over you get charged extra?  Or do you just simply get locked out of any data usage till the next month.  I still think that a month to month plan is better.  If I want a larger plan next month because I am gonna be out of town and will be using more data I have that flexibility.  Instead of upgrading to a larger tier for the whole year.  Cmon.  This sounds like the old Cell Phone Company ploy to lock you into a contract.

...or hit people up for overages.

• Reply 52 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I never understand people that say LTE will make them use more data, like the device has a gun to their head. A episode of The Walking Dead or Mad Men takes the same amount of time to watch whether it's on 3G or LTE, a ebook might download a few seconds faster but you're not going to read it any faster.

Not directly to do with LTE but the increased speed coupled with the larger amounts of data related to the higher screen res will increase data volume. Besides that, the easier (quicker) it is to access information on the web the more it becomes useful, by which measure we can assume that a faster connection will result in more data. It ain't necessarily so, but I think my data usage has steadily increased since the day of my first modem.

• Reply 53 of 124

Anybody noticed the BEZEL???? It's so big it borders on criminally insane!!

;-)

• Reply 54 of 124

"Well Apple is screwed with this move" "What a bold look into the future by Amazon, they innovate so well" "Well it looks like the iPad is going down"

I think I have that covered.

• Reply 55 of 124
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

It's the $10 a month app store gift card that interests me. Is Amazon subsidizing Android app development for the Kindle FIre?

• Reply 56 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolie View Post

Agree...  Apple has been coasting the last couple of years, racking up billions in cash and only providing incremental updates...  Still have my original iPad...  No reason to update...  Still have my 2010 Mac Air...  Still no reason to update...   Still have my 2010 i Mac...   Still no reason to update...  Still have my 2009 iPod...   Still no reason to update...   Did update my iPhone 4 to 4S, what a joke...   I am not a Kindle fan, but I hope someone wakes up Apple for us...   iPad mini rumored to use iPhone 3g parts, how lame is that...

So obviously having things that meet your needs has cost you less than being on a competitor's upgrade cycle.

2008 MacBook here with Mountain Lion.

2010 iPhone 4 with iOS 5, soon to be updated to 6.

I'll upgrade to the next iPhone on my same plan, it should not cost anything more than I currently pay.

One reason NOT to update, it costs you money, there is no "Apple Tax" to complain about.

• Reply 57 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can't seriously see the other side of the argument, can you?

I'll use your argument. Let's download an episode of The Walking Dead. If you have a slow connection with a legacy display resolution, you download the SD version weighing in at a few hundred MBs. But if you have a faster connection (say LTE) with an HD screen, SD episodes look blurry and less enjoyable. So you download the HD version weighing in at over 1GB. Same with photos, 2 megapixel photos are decidedly poor quality now. Now the standard is 8+ MP photos, that use a lot more data, and lets sync all those to the cloud drive.

Sure, there's no gun to your head, but you don't enjoy the experience as much. What's the point of buying an HD screen with a blazing internet connection, only to be gimped by a piddling data cap. There is simply no point throwing LTE onto a device like this with a data package that is so limited. They could've gone with a cheaper, less power-hungry tech and actually gotten a profit margin out of this thing. Or not made the cellular-enabled device $200 more expensive than the wifi-only one.

I say just stay off the wireless networks and use the wifi you're already paying for at home/work/starbucks/mcdonalds/b&n.

• Reply 58 of 124

The Fire didn't really sell up until now. So what's changed that is actually *significant*?  Not much. 

Another failed "iPad-KIller" trying to compete on price and perks (related to price.) Usually a losing proposition against Apple in this particular market (big time.)

• Reply 59 of 124

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Ok so a one year cost of $50.00.  If you go over you get charged extra?  Or do you just simply get locked out of any data usage till the next month.  I still think that a month to month plan is better.  If I want a larger plan next month because I am gonna be out of town and will be using more data I have that flexibility.  Instead of upgrading to a larger tier for the whole year.  Cmon.  This sounds like the old Cell Phone Company ploy to lock you into a contract.

It's confirmed ATT provides the service, Amazon is subsidizing the cost through the $200 extra charge between the wifi-only model and the wifi+lte model (as opposed to iPad's $130 extra for lte model), and ATT's standard overage fees apply (for every 250MB you go over = $14.99).

• Reply 60 of 124

Hmmm I'll just lay a few things out after reading a bit.... these 8.9" Kindle Fires aren't coming out until November 20th, most likely after the iPad Mini is released. The 4th generation iPad will be released 3 1/2~ months after these as well. You then have to assume Apple will drop the price of the 3rd Gen to $399 with the new more powerful 4th Gen at the $499 price point. I also looked up the GPU in the new 8.9" Kindle Fires and it's roughly half as powerful as the iPad 2. The performance in games is going to suck a bit with the increased resolution. The price of the devices is attractive though, more so than what you get with a Nexus 7, curious which version of Android it's actually running on.