Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    muppetry wrote: »
    OK - seriously - why are you hanging out here reading threads that annoy and embarrass you so much? Is there something you are not telling us?

Well, he didn't tell us how many Apple products he has nor did he list them yet.

If anyone is offended by the comments in this thread they must not use The Internet often. I have seen so many offensive threads by rabid Android-based smartphone fans it is absurd.

At one forum an Android-based smartphone user began a benign thread the day of the iPhone 5 announcement. Android-based smartphone users immediately began calling people in the thread !f@gs and posting provocative pictures of male models. That type of garbage typifies Android-based smartphone users thinking. They literally can't win with facts so they resort to derogatory and demeaning language.
  • Reply 82 of 162
    @muppetry

I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.

Instead it was this crap.

I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."

Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?
  • Reply 83 of 162
    solipsismx wrote: »
    My favorite bits are how the original iPhone was such a outright failure for them, yet even in its 6h generation competitors still haven't mastered what Apple did in it's first go. Sure, there are plenty of things that make the original iPhone woefully outdated, like all the performance aspects of it, but that's what Apple had to deal with and they did it swimmingly.
    We still have Android phones with laggy UIs despite being many, many times faster. We still have Android phones that look and feel cheap, aren't enjoyable to use, and therefore have little to no resale value as they age.
    Worst of all is the update cycle. I think 3 generations is plenty for a phone's primary frameworks and underpinnings but this year they are going 4 generations.
    Perhaps the most humorous are the people that are so upset because the iPhone isn't radically different YoY. I honestly don't think they comprehend just how well Apple understand the customer, understand the technology, understood their strengths to make something so incredibly perfect from day one that all they've had to do since is refine and polish their initial concept.
    I'd think by now they'd realize that Apple didn't stumble onto their success. Apple didn't accidentally have a successful product. I suppose if you don't have a modicum of understanding of how these products are made you might like at the whole product and claim it's a fluke, but when they do it year after year, across product after product, you wonder why they are still saying the things they say.

This is how I see it, the success of the first iPhone was built on the success of the iPod and iTunes. Even though it had its limitations it was head and shoulders above the feature phones at the time and the web browsing was much better than the smartphones out. People needn't carry 2 or more devices anymore. Although it might seem like the iPhone was a overnight success the groundwork for that success was laid out long ago. I really don't see any current manufacturer being able to duplicate that.
    In defense of Android the UI has gotten considerably better. Lag is minimal on the newer devices that run 4.x.x. The rumors I've heard is that Google may abandon Android and release a Chrome mobile OS. Could be the reason they purchased MM was to build a device optimized for the OS and maybe then have a device that really compete with the iPhone. Only time will tell but the longer they wait the more people will be entrenched into the Apple ecosystem and less likely to ever switch regardless of how great a device is.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    Well, he didn't tell us how many Apple products he has nor did he list them yet.
    If anyone is offended by the comments in this thread they must not use The Internet often. I have seen so many offensive threads by rabid Android-based smartphone fans it is absurd.
    At one forum an Android-based smartphone user began a benign thread the day of the iPhone 5 announcement. Android-based smartphone users immediately began calling people in the thread !f@gs and posting provocative pictures of male models. That type of garbage typifies Android-based smartphone users thinking. They literally can't win with facts so they resort to derogatory and demeaning language.

Original iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad 2, 11" Macbook Air, (pre-ordered) iPhone 5.

I don't care much what Android users do, as I'm not one. All I'm saying is it gets embarrassing after a while, seeing all the insanity on Apple forums. Makes you wonder what you're a part of, and whether or not you should be.
  • Reply 85 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

@muppetry

I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.

I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."

Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?

There are other threads here with those kind of discussions. No need to get so worked up over this one. Don't forget that there have been plenty of troll-infested threads, including the main release announcement thread, so maybe try to cut people some slack, even though this one has been full of pre-emptive strikes.

• Reply 86 of 162
    @ Muppetry

I'll take that into consideration.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    I love the Apple Fanbois indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

It must be easy to win arguments against... no one?

If there WERE trolls here they would have undoubtedly conceded that the iphone 5 launch would be massive, but that it's a result of "herd instinct" and not a technological "revolution."

And to some extent they would be right, although not about the "herd instinct." They would be right that there wasn't anything revolutionary about the iP5. Like others here, I am excited about it, and I pre-ordered one, but calling it "revolutionary" is pretty ridiculous. First to market Cortex-A15, new but similar look, slightly bigger screen, slightly lighter/thinner, slightly better battery life, reversible dock connector.... every single one of the new features is evolutionary. The fact that there are a lot of them makes it worth buying, but that has nothing to do with "revolutionizing" mobile phones.

You people are obviously drunk AND stupid. Just one couldn't explain this phenomena. And the reason everyone bashes Apple users is no doubt a result of your rabid idiocy.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone, ya jerks, because it is a pretty exciting product, until you make it into an emblem for your pathetic corporate self-identifying.

How does it feel to be #1?
  • Reply 88 of 162

Reading the newspapers and listening to the TV you'd think we'd all be up in arms over the change of the connector in the iPhone. Just because Apple won't be using the old connector in new products doesn't mean they are stopping sales of all the other existing products; be they iPods, iPad 2s, and iPhone 4 and 4S. I expect the old 30 pin connector to be on iDevices for at least two more years.

• Reply 89 of 162
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Well this quarter is almost over so next time next month but we'll probably hear some whopping sales numbers before then.

Doesn't Apple's fiscal year end on Sep 30? Oct 1 is a new year.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    This is how I see it, the success of the first iPhone was built on the success of the iPod and iTunes. Even though it had its limitations it was head and shoulders above the feature phones at the time and the web browsing was much better than the smartphones out. People needn't carry 2 or more devices anymore. Although it might seem like the iPhone was a overnight success the groundwork for that success was laid out long ago. I really don't see any current manufacturer being able to duplicate that.

Apple has a remarkable history of taking things they excel at and making a completely revolutionary product form those existing parts that no one else had conceived of and/or was able to actually do without following Apple's lead. The iPhone is the keystone example of this.

I would add to your statement and say that it wasn't just the iPod history of making small, portable devices, but also vision and ability to make Mac OS functional on a device with a 412MHz ARM11 (ARMv6) CPU. This was such an impressive feat that 1) RiM didn't believe the OS was that smooth and fast, and 2) that many of the core designs for the iPhone's OS made it's way back into Mac OS.
    In defense of Android the UI has gotten considerably better. Lag is minimal on the newer devices that run 4.x.x. The rumors I've heard is that Google may abandon Android and release a Chrome mobile OS. Could be the reason they purchased MM was to build a device optimized for the OS and maybe then have a device that really compete with the iPhone. Only time will tell but the longer they wait the more people will be entrenched into the Apple ecosystem and less likely to ever switch regardless of how great a device is.

Google hasn't been a slouch in it's progression but it's still not as good as iOS even when on HW that has higher performance. I say "progression" because it has dramatically improved but it very, very bad out of the gate with each change promising they'll make it even better soon.

I thought I read a rumour they were abandoning Chrome OS for Android on the desktop. I certainly could be flipping those two. I know plenty of people on this forum are against Chrome OS but it's no different than any other OS that uses webcode for the UI and Linux as a backend. WebOS was pretty good and HTML5 was still not complete or refined. I think it has a lot of potential to unseat Windows on the low end if Google plays it right.

PS: Does Android 4.x yet have systemwide cut/copy/paste the way iOS has had it since they introduced it? Last time i used Android there were areas I couldn't get to select text.
  • Reply 91 of 162
    The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]
  • Reply 92 of 162
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple has a remarkable history of taking things they excel at and making a completely revolutionary product form those existing parts that no one else had conceived of and/or was able to actually do without following Apple's lead. The iPhone is the keystone example of this.
    I would add to your statement and say that it wasn't just the iPod history of making small, portable devices, but also vision and ability to make Mac OS functional on a device with a 412MHz ARM11 (ARMv6) CPU. This was such an impressive feat that 1) RiM didn't believe the OS was that smooth and fast, and 2) that many of the core designs for the iPhone's OS made it's way back into Mac OS.
    Google hasn't been a slouch in it's progression but it's still not as good as iOS even when on HW that has higher performance. I say "progression" because it has dramatically improved but it very, very bad out of the gate with each change promising they'll make it even better soon.
    I thought I read a rumour they were abandoning Chrome OS for Android on the desktop. I certainly could be flipping those two. I know plenty of people on this forum are against Chrome OS but it's no different than any other OS that uses webcode for the UI and Linux as a backend. WebOS was pretty good and HTML5 was still not complete or refined. I think it has a lot of potential to unseat Windows on the low end if Google plays it right.
    PS: Does Android 4.x yet have systemwide cut/copy/paste the way iOS has had it since they introduced it? Last time i used Android there were areas I couldn't get to select text.

I realized I left out mentioning the iPhone OS, that was another great feat that made the iPhone successful and still does.

The cut/copy/paste is one of weak points of Android. I actually think they made it worse.
  • Reply 93 of 162
    enzos wrote: »
    The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

1) Your bigoted comments are neither necessary nor accurate.

2) In a simplified text medium where you tend not to know the author tone is considerably harder to detect. You, as a person, could be better at it than others but it has nothing to do with your nationalistic or bigoted views about the world. I've traveled around the world and people everywhere are intelligent, funny, clever, stupid, foolish, and ignorant. No nation, no culture, no "race" is any less mentally capable than the other.
  • Reply 94 of 162
    How does it feel to be #1?

Yeah Dick, iPhone user since early 2008, but I'm a HUGE Android fan, just on here to stir up trouble.

/s (for the Americans)
  • Reply 95 of 162

…just on here to stir up trouble.

Ah, so an admission of trolling? Well, we can't have that. Off to the salt mines with you.

… See how useful a sarcasm tag would have been there? How interesting that you can't tell my intent without it… 

• Reply 96 of 162

I'm gonna take a stab and guess around 10-15% of those sales are for re-sale. People buying the iPhone at launch and selling the device during Christmas at a marked up price. It's a great business. Once I bought an Xbox 360 and held it until the holidays and sold it to someone for $1,200.

If Samsung goes through with the lawsuit of the iPhone 5, and they end up getting a ban (unlikely given their track record), the LTE iPhone 5 will be GOLD!

• Reply 97 of 162
    Ah, so an admission of trolling? Well, we can't have that. Off to the salt mines with you.
    … See how useful a sarcasm tag would have been there? How interesting that you can't tell my intent without it… 

The Brits see in all shades of gray, as well as having a Super-American sense for sarcasm. ;)

Truth be told, I've seen Top Gear, and it makes me doubt there's an Epicurean Garden on that foggy little rock.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

@muppetry

Well, let's see.

The iPhone 5 launched on my phone network as a preorder for upgrading customers at 5:01pm AEST.

At 5:01 I started calling, the call centre was unable to handle the influx with "something has gone wrong", all lines are busy, try again later" etc errors, it took 20 or so attempts before I got put on hold for another hour and a half, finally I got to speak to someone and my 64GB Black is ordered.

I am sure my story matches the story of millions of others, across all the outlets around the world involved in the first tranche of preorders.

I am really looking forward to seeing how good this phone looks in the hand, from what I've heard the pictures don't really do it justice.

• Reply 99 of 162
    hill60 wrote: »
    Well, let's see.

The iPhone 5 launched on my phone network as a preorder for upgrading customers at 5:01pm AEST.

At 5:01 I started calling, the call centre was unable to handle the influx with "something has gone wrong", all lines are busy, try again later" etc errors, it took 20 or so attempts before I got put on hold for another hour and a half, finally I got to speak to someone and my 64GB Black is ordered.

I am sure my story matches the story of millions of others, across all the outlets around the world involved in the first tranche of preorders.

I am really looking forward to seeing how good this phone looks in the hand, from what I've heard the pictures don't really do it justice.

I have noted the "I don't like the design" comments, but I think people are more inclined to dislike "different" at first glance. I've always liked the glass sandwich look, but being able to skip the case... if you're feeling daring... is a welcome prospect.

I half-wonder if Apple didn't drop the bumpers to send the message that the case isn't necessary for this phone, like it was for 4 and 4S.

I think it looks up to par even in the pictures, but I agree, not least of what I'm excited for is the in-person experience of the aesthetics.

In regard to the pre-order, I had to be up early today, so I gave it a half hour of trying and decided to do it first thing in the morning when I couldn't get through. Now I've got an Oct 5 delivery date and regret not staying up all night.

Clearly Apple only made two or three hundred for the first run so they could pretend the launch was a success by virtue of the shipping estimates. ;)
  • Reply 100 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't knock the salt mines. It's a career, well the hours are a little rough, but the benefits are cozy, plus we get to wear kilts every other Sunday. Plus, if you are killed in an accident, in lieu of insurance payout, they sell your body to science and send a bouquet to your loved ones.