Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Don't knock the salt mines. It's a career, well the hours are a little rough, but the benefits are cozy, plus we get to wear kilts every other Sunday. Plus, if you are killed in an accident, in lieu of insurance payout, they sell your body to science and send a bouquet to your loved ones.

Sounds awesome!

I've got a bit of time to kill before I go stand in line for an iPhone. Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?
  • Reply 102 of 162
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    If history is correct, just walk into an Apple store on launch day.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

If history is correct, just walk into an Apple store on launch day.

LIke this?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57404273-71/woman-breaks-nose-on-apple-store-sues-for-$1m/

I jest about the queuing. Tried it once. Didn't like it.

Prefer to play 'track the courier' instead.

????

• Reply 104 of 162
    saarek wrote: »
    There fixed it for you. To say that someone could care less indicates that that they have to care at least the smallest bit and I am pretty sure you meant to say that they really could not care less.

Thank you. I was fighting the urge to post the very same response. It irritates me to no end. Almost as bad as "go ahead and."

• Reply 105 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

<...>I half-wonder if Apple didn't drop the bumpers to send the message that the case isn't necessary for this phone, like it was for 4 and 4S.

<..> image

Probably, yes. But I also think that the physical contact with an Apple device contributes to its mysterious addictive nature, and is therefore essential (term not pejorative, for me ...)

• Reply 106 of 162
    I love the Apple Fanbois indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

Interesting little tirade you posted there. It displayed more about your own behavior patterns and even less that of others.

I'd also love to direct you to the 'Rodent' just a few posts from the article. Must have missed that during your information sweep of the first "60+"...
  • Reply 107 of 162
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That's really too bad - I can't believe how cruel people can be. Whoever ruined this great event for you by forcing you to sit and read all those frightful comments should be ashamed of themselves. I do hope it doesn't scar you for life.

LOL. 

• Reply 108 of 162
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Reading the newspapers and listening to the TV you'd think we'd all be up in arms over the change of the connector in the iPhone. Just because Apple won't be using the old connector in new products doesn't mean they are stopping sales of all the other existing products; be they iPods, iPad 2s, and iPhone 4 and 4S. I expect the old 30 pin connector to be on iDevices for at least two more years.

The people affected can buy a new cable or new adapter. When I upgrade, I'll have to buy 2 new cables. It's just not that big a deal, but you should certainly consider it when evaluating the upgrade.
    enzos wrote: »
    The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

And your comment is proof again that brits don't have any idea of the proper use of the English language (linguists agree that American English is much closer to 16th Century English than the bastardized English you use - and that's not even considering the absolute castration of the language in New Castle).

Context is important. If you read these threads, it is quite common for someone to sarcastically post a comment of what they expect the other side to say. If you know the poster, you know that they're being sarcastic, but not everyone knows all the regulars - and first time posters don't have any history to fall back on. The use of some tag to show sarcasm is necessary in written language.
    I'm gonna take a stab and guess around 10-15% of those sales are for re-sale. People buying the iPhone at launch and selling the device during Christmas at a marked up price. It's a great business. Once I bought an Xbox 360 and held it until the holidays and sold it to someone for $1,200.

If Samsung goes through with the lawsuit of the iPhone 5, and they end up getting a ban (unlikely given their track record), the LTE iPhone 5 will be GOLD!

It is extremely unlikely that Samsung will get a ban. Even with some slight chance of it, I don't believe that the number being purchased for resale is anywhere near 10-15%. You do see a few of them on eBay for $1200 or so, but not that many. And anyone expecting to get a much higher price by Christmas is kidding themselves. Apple will be able to meet demand (or, at least, come very close to it) by Christmas, so you'll be able to walk into a store and pay list price by then. Prices on eBay will actually be BELOW list price by Christmas.
    @muppetry
    I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.
    Instead it was this crap.
    I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."
    Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?

Yes, it's crazy that you come to a forum where Apple fans congregate and criticize them for being Apple fans.

More importantly, you're completely ignoring context. There's very little in this (or any thread) that hasn't been repeated 1,000 times in other threads. When you see a sarcastic comment in this thread, it is an indication that the trolls keep making the same silly comments over and over and over in every thread they contaminate. The fact that they haven't yet entered this thread doesn't change that.
  • Reply 109 of 162

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Interesting little tirade you posted there. It displayed more about your own behavior patterns and even less that of others.

I'd also love to direct you to the 'Rodent' just a few posts from the article. Must have missed that during your information sweep of the first "60+"...

Trolls tend to be blind to other trolls' trolling unless their context would benefit from quoting, thumbing up, and or other corroboration. image

• Reply 110 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?

I am sure Foxconn could arrange it for you!

Just making a bad joke...... everybody relax.......

• Reply 111 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

And your comment is proof again that brits don't have any idea of the proper use of the English language (linguists agree that American English is much closer to 16th Century English than the bastardized English you use - and that's not even considering the absolute castration of the language in New Castle).

Context is important. If you read these threads, it is quite common for someone to sarcastically post a comment of what they expect the other side to say. If you know the poster, you know that they're being sarcastic, but not everyone knows all the regulars - and first time posters don't have any history to fall back on. The use of some tag to show sarcasm is necessary in written language.

Quite true about the historical development of English, although being able to detect irony and proper use of language are not quite the same thing, with neither being a prerequisite for the other.

More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad? And Geordie (I assume you meant Newcastle) is no more unintelligible than some regional US dialects.

• Reply 112 of 162
    gtr wrote: »
    Sounds awesome!
    I've got a bit of time to kill before I go stand in line for an iPhone. Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?

No lines. No wait. Not even a sign up sheet.
  • Reply 113 of 162
    muppetry wrote: »
    More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad?

That gets my vote for silly comparison of the week.
  • Reply 114 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad?

That gets my vote for silly comparison of the week.

Thank you. I agree the analogy is imperfect, but it makes the point, and the question regarding the assumption still stands.

• Reply 115 of 162
    I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.

I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.
  • Reply 116 of 162
    I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.
    I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.

It doesn't slice and dice, either. Nor will it wax your car or cook your dinner.

The answer is simple. If you don't want one, don't buy one. Apple has offered what they think is the best balance of technology and cost available at this time. If a different phone meets your needs better, then buy it. But stop pretending that you know more about mobile phone development than Apple.
  • Reply 117 of 162

Your entire view of the iPhone is wrong. You think the goal should be to keep it at 300 PPI or more pixels regardless of how that affects the apps, how it affects the production of displays they have no experience with, how that would affect the users and devs by decreasing the PPI, increasing the size of elements and making the device less usable by going with some display size value that you've deemed Apple should use because many Android-based devices are using it.

You also have absolutely no idea how much it costs to manufacturer a smartphone and yet you claim they all cost less than $200. To even make such a claim shows that you don't have a clue how any of the process works. Did you even consider any of the investment costs that went into this? Did you not see Apple has 725 distinct glass pieces to make sure you get the best fit and finish when placed around the camera components? How much do you think it cost to create, test and perfect that setup? Nothing, obviously, because you're only considering a cost from iSuppli without any consideration for anything other than some sourced HW.
  • Reply 118 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sounds awesome!

No lines. No wait. Not even a sign up sheet.

Sounds like an MS or Sammy Store.

• Reply 119 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

When you are in such a business, you have to have a long term roadmap, whereby you plan in advance (with reasonable assumptions concerning technological advances) what improvements you will include in your product in every year release (in the Apple model). The basic principle is of course that you should not give everything at once.

While I agree with you that Apple could probably have easily implemented water resistance (I am waiting for the demo where they will drop the iPhone into water ...), it is not true to pretend that the model presented is not a significant improvement on many points, and the proof will be given by the sales figures ... justifying the whole strategy ... as usual ....

• Reply 120 of 162

Maybe I got 'lucky'... I ordered my white iPhone 5 32GB late on Friday afternoon here in the UK from Apple's website. At the time the 'shipping date' was 2-3 weeks, then 2, then 'October' on my order. I got an email this afternoon to say the phone will be arriving on the 21st.

Perhaps they can't count? Oh well, my wife will be upset I've been spending again, sooner than I thought ;)