Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    I'm suffering from litigation fatigue. I know it comes with the territory, but I wouldn't hold it against AppleInsider if they decided to pass on a litigation story - lol.
  • Reply 22 of 173
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Good. Apple needs to keep the pressure on. The damages don't even amount to a percentage of what Samsung has gained by slavishly and shameless aping everything it can from Apple. 

• Reply 23 of 173
    It would be nice to hear that all these billions will be spent by Apple on QC/QA and no betas or beta-like products for end users in future.
  • Reply 24 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

Do you think the *whole* IOS team worked on 5?  

• Reply 25 of 173

Originally Posted by Munas View Post

It would be nice to hear that all these billions will be spent by Apple on QC/QA and no betas or beta-like products for end users in future.

It'd be nice to hear that we're instigating a new policy that allows us to silence those who parrot anti-Apple rhetoric unquestioningly. 

Alas.

• Reply 26 of 173
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Good. Apple needs to keep the pressure on. The damages don't even amount to a percentage of what Samsung has gained by slavishly and shameless aping everything it can from Apple. 

I'm not going to say Samsung didn't copy some things from Apple but come on don't you think enough is enough?
    It's not about the money. It's about sending a message.

It's a shameful display. Being caught in one will either damage Samsung's honor or reveal that they don't care about honor, damaging it even more.

I probably wouldn't be bothered so much but I want more positive news.
  • Reply 27 of 173
    munas wrote: »

That's stupid. If that were necessary, they would just use some of the $120 billion in cash that they have on hand.

Since you're referring to Maps/Siri, you can throw 20 trillion at them but you'll still need data generated from users among other analytics not achievable in a lab.
  • Reply 28 of 173
    winter wrote: »
    I'm not going to say Samsung didn't copy some things from Apple but come on don't you think enough is enough?

No. Should the courts stop prosecuting repeated sexual offenses for the sake of exhaustion?
  • Reply 29 of 173
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

apple, why don't you stick to innovation instead of litigation? your lack of innovation really shows in your recent products: just adding features or copying features that had been on android for years, and still doing a terrible job at it (e.g. new maps). iphone 5 bring nothing new to the market. Just my opinion.

That truly is a ROFL username.

• Reply 30 of 173

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I probably wouldn't be bothered so much but I want more positive news.

This IS positive news. The only thing more positive would be confirmation of the $3 billion fine instead of just this.

• Reply 31 of 173
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

You forgot the /S after you post.

• Reply 32 of 173
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

More lawsuits?

What does "more lawsuits" have to do with this one ongoing lawsuit?

• Reply 33 of 173
    chris_ca wrote: »
    What does "more lawsuits" have to do with this one ongoing lawsuit?

What ongoing? The matter was settled. There's just a disagreement on damages.
  • Reply 34 of 173

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There's just a disagreement on damages.

So it's not settled. Settled will be when Apple cashes the check.

Hope they didn't just copy someone else's checkbook. 

• Reply 35 of 173
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Ouch, Apple would you stop slamming Sammy. Now ur gonna go for triple the billion dollar damages too!

Just stick to tripling in the marketplace instead. Like tripling the graphics speed of the S3 with the iPhone 5. Now hat's the kind of winning I want.

Why not? A jury found that Samsung willfully infringed upon some of their patents. That's an important finding, and lets them seem treble damages on those elements of the damages.

The iPhone 5 shows that Apple is capable of competing in the marketplace as well as the courtroom.

• Reply 36 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It'd be nice to hear that we're instigating a new policy that allows us to silence those who parrot anti-Apple rhetoric unquestioningly. 

Alas.

You should not be afraid of different opinions.

Personally me, I am big Apple lover, having Mac Pro, two Macbook Pros, iPhone, few iPod touch, Airport Extreme and Express, AppleTV etc...

• Reply 37 of 173

apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more.

Yeah, you'll be gone in days.

Originally Posted by Munas View Post

Personally me, I am big Apple lover, having Mac Pro, two Macbook Pros, iPhone, few iPod touch, Airport Extreme and Express, AppleTV etc...

No one cares what you people have or pretend to have. It has nothing to do with the words you're saying. If the argument is crap on its own, no amount of "past ownership" can save you.

• Reply 38 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Alas.

You should not be afraid of different opinions.

• Reply 39 of 173

Quote:

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great?

Yes.

We're talking about an OS that runs only on a closed, unlicensed platform for which the entry fee is typically $1000, vs. a universally-licensed OS that runs on every PC under under the sun, from the good, to the bad, to the downright ugly, at all price points. Not everyone can afford to play in the Apple ecosystem via a Mac. 

OS X market share and Windows market share are completely different measures, with completely different forces driving them. One is driven by consumer satisfaction and ability to pay for a certain level of User Experience. The other is driven by market flooding via universal licensing. 

Macs set the bar for the rest of the industry, and have been doing so for years, outpacing industry growth year after year, even during a recession. 

Where the rubber meets the road, 8 years running:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/20/apple-tops-u-s-pc-customer-satisfaction-survey-for-eighth-consecutive-time/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20108336-17/apple-tops-in-customer-satisfaction-for-8th-year/

Apple tops in customer satisfaction for 8th year

Once again, the company ranks first among PC makers, receiving a score of 87 out of 100 in the American Customer Satisfaction Index. HP follows in second place.

by Don Reisinger   September 19, 2011 9:02 PM PDT 

Macs reign supreme in ACSI's 2011 customer satisfaction study.

For the eighth year in a row, Apple's Macs have satisfied more customers than any other vendor's PCs.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), which analyzes consumer feelings toward consumer electronics and appliances, among many other products, said today that Apple's Macs received a score of 87 on the index's 100-point scale measuring customer satisfaction regarding computers. The company's satisfaction score is up 1 percentage point compared to last year's tally, and up 18 percentage points from its low in 1998. What's more, Apple's 87 is the highest mark the company has received since 1995.

"In the eight years that Apple has led the PC industry in customer satisfaction, its stock price has increased by 2,300 percent," Claes Fornell, founder of the ACSI, said in a statement. "Apple's winning combination of innovation and product diversification--including spinning off technologies into entirely new directions--has kept the company consistently at the leading edge."

The ACSI's scale is a comprehensive evaluation of customer satisfaction. According to the company, it conducts about 70,000 interviews with customers each year to determine how they feel on a host of variables, including "perceived quality," "customer expectations," and "perceived value." The company also looks at customer loyalty and complaints. The index, produced by ACSI, was founded at the University of Michigan's business school.

You suck at trolling. 

• Reply 40 of 173

A jury in California, 10 miles away from apple headquarter, literally apple's backyard, found samsung guilty after only 3 days. It surprised all tech journalists and experts at how quickly they were able to reach verdict. Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. The jury is a scam. They had no idea what was going on. most courts found galaxy tab infringed iPad, yet the jury found otherwise. What a joke. 

My mistake. You'll be gone in one day at most.