Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 141 of 173
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

I think you're using a rather confusing and flawed logic. How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist or rather just being released barely some days ago, like Iphone5? Are you suggesting that Android's phone manufacturers live in a higher dimension, so that they can just time-travel whenever they like to steal Apple's future ideas?

You seem to be confused by your own myopic view of smartphones.

The revolutionary iPhone was introduced in January 2007 ("And boy have we patented it!" --S. Jobs). Even the original iPhone had fluidity to its UI, fluidity which far more powerful and power-hungry Android devices of today still struggle to match.

Android was purchased by Google in 2005, and for all intents and purposes, the OS was a Blackberry clone... until the iPhone was introduced, after which all Android mock-ups and future products were iPhone-like. The Android of 2008-onward is almost entirely iPhone inspired--Apple inspired.

Since when have smartphones and tablets been featureless rectangles with rounded-corners?

• Reply 142 of 173

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Even the original iPhone had fluidity to its UI, fluidity which far more powerful and power-hungry Android devices of today still struggle to match.

Android itself is just bad code, period. And then when it's coupled with substandard (not Apple) hardware, it's an even worse experience.

I installed Android 1.6 on my first-gen iPhone. Scrolling? Terrible. Not in sync with my finger, jumpy, and buggy. Typing? Impossible. The far left and far right keys on the keyboard didn't register. You had to hit a few pixels-wide area of the screen that was actually on the keys adjacent to them, and any further in would then hit those keys.

Contrast that with iPhone OS 1.0 on the same device, even. Even there we could, literally, touch our p's and q's. image

• Reply 143 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

They really need to slam Samsung even harder. Seriously the copying was so blatant that Samsung needs to hurt a lot more than they are now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2206766/Swiss-rail-company-accuses-iPhone-5-copying-iconic-clock-design.html?ITO=1490

Nice clock

• Reply 144 of 173

Speaking of the original iPhone I saw a guy last week at an autograph signing and he had an original iPhone. Had some dents, well cracked screen but it still worked flawlessly and that speaks to the quality and build of Apple products and why I'll never go anywhere else for my computing/phone needs.

• Reply 145 of 173
    Speaking of the original iPhone I saw a guy last week at an autograph signing and he had an original iPhone. Had some dents, well cracked screen but it still worked flawlessly and that speaks to the quality and build of Apple products and why I'll never go anywhere else for my computing/phone needs.

It does make me wonder about the person who would still be using that phone.
  • Reply 146 of 173
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It does make me wonder about the person who would still be using that phone.

Why? Some people refuse to subscribe to the disposable lifestyle mentality that characterizes so much of America. I know people who will use something until it no longer works or is no longer suitable for their needs. If the original iPhone still meets his needs, why should he pay money to buy a new one?

Furthermore, there's still a market for iPhone1. Obviously, there are a number of people who think they're usable.
  • Reply 147 of 173
    Android itself is just bad code, period. And then when it's coupled with substandard (not Apple) hardware, it's an even worse experience.

I installed Android 1.6 on my first-gen iPhone. Scrolling? Terrible. Not in sync with my finger, jumpy, and buggy. Typing? Impossible. The far left and far right keys on the keyboard didn't register. You had to hit a few pixels-wide area of the screen that was actually on the keys adjacent to them, and any further in would then hit those keys.

Contrast that with iPhone OS 1.0 on the same device, even. Even there we could, literally, touch our p's and q's. :lol:

Lol so that's what you're basing your opinion on Android on? You can pick up a phone cheaply especially if it has a bad ESN and play with it. I believe you'll see it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
  • Reply 148 of 173

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Lol so that's what you're basing your opinion on Android on?

Nope, I use this information to argue that Android code is not written specifically for any of software on which it runs, and is therefore inherently worse than iOS. I can use four years of going to stores, using Android devices as I would use my iPhone, and having the UX come up short due to these software shortcomings to create my opinion of it being absolutely terrible software.

• Reply 149 of 173
    Nope, I use this information to argue that Android code is not written specifically for any of software on which it runs, and is therefore inherently worse than iOS. I can use four years of going to stores, using Android devices as I would use my iPhone, and having the UX come up short due to these software shortcomings to create my opinion of it being absolutely terrible software.

Trying it in a store isn't much better.
  • Reply 150 of 173

Trying it in a store isn't much better.

So using the device as it's intended to be used can't be used as evidence that it's less usable than the usage of the OS I do use daily?

• Reply 151 of 173
    So using the device as it's intended to be used can't be used as evidence that it's less usable than the usage of the OS I do use daily?

Say that 5 times fast. I don't think that's enough time to draw a good enough conclusion.
  • Reply 152 of 173

I don't think that's enough time to draw a good enough conclusion.

All right, fair enough.

• Reply 153 of 173
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And what do you get with a Mac Mini for $599? Not much, still need several hundred dollars worth of peripherals. Which takes us back to about $1000.

I'm sure a decent sized monitor can be had for $100. A useful, durable, if basic Logitech scroll mouse and keyboard are $15 each. Assuming you actually need to buy things you cant just use from your old computer, that total is $730. What am I missing?
  • Reply 154 of 173

deleted

• Reply 155 of 173

deleted

• Reply 156 of 173

Be advised that Apple copied Swiss Federal Railways' clock design.  Search for articles on the Internet for details.  Apple should reach out to Swiss Federal Railways and offer them fair compensation.  Let there be some ethical consistency here.  Otherwise, Apple comes across as being very hypocritical.

• Reply 157 of 173

deleted

• Reply 158 of 173

Does money ever really change hands in these things?  I would love to see copy of that check.

• Reply 159 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

More lawsuits? Jesus Christ. Apple doesn't need the damn money and neither does Samsung.

Please refrain from blasphemy, and I don't mean from criticizing Apple.

• Reply 160 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great? apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more. U can deny it all you want but thats the truth. You have to open an app just to see most fundamental information (email, facebook status etc). You still have to go to setting, bluetooth, or wifi to toggle on or off power management. simple tasks like these can't be managed on ios. Thats why its so "smooth". Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day. and dont even get started with the Maps. Talk about how someone cat butcher a perfectly working software

Functionality is subjective. One person's functionality is another person's annoyance. I prefer a simple, less cluttered interface.  You prefer more information.  Why you feel anyone here cares, I don't know.  Perhaps an Android based fan site would be more receptive to your opinions.  At least you acknowledge that Apple achieves greater performance, that's the first step.